Trick pedals worth the price?

Muckster

Platinum Member
I'm at a point where i want to re-evaluate my pedals. I've played IC Power Glide pedals, DW 5000's and have not really been happy with them. I've had much better luck with the ' plain Jane Tama pedal that came with my kit 25 years ago.

I'm very curious to hear fron all you Trick users out there. I like the Axis pedals but haven't found a Trick pedal to check out locally to compare. The price of the Trick pedals is hard to justify.....better clean the house, mow the lawn etc...

Anyone out there have any opinions regarding these pedals?

Re: Trick pedalsworth the price?

I had used the Trick Pro1-v for 5 years, and was very happy with it. But, it's a different feel, and not just because of the direct pull linkage. I loved that feel, then woke up one morining and didn't, sort of like one day your favorite snare just doesn't sound the same and you don't know why.

As for the price, it's not that expensive considering the number of pedals hovering around $300, and it's made better than any other pedal I've seen.

The important thing is, try one before you buy. That applies to anything that's tactile or makes a sound. You can't just buy something without hearing or feeling it, unless you're absolutely familiar in the first place. The Trick has a unique feel, I wouldn't compare it with another pedal. You just have to try it for yourself.

Bermuda

I think I did a post about the TRICK Pedals late last summer on the forum.
My own personal research included the DW9000 (I own the single), DW5000, Pearl DD, AXIS.

I was particularly interested in the quality and durability of the DOUBLE pedals. I figured that with enough practice, I could make any of these pedals fly. Plus, I've seen some great drummers fricken rock some ugly pedals. So a lot of it's on the drummer anyways.

My research revealed that there was always something loosening, breaking or squeaking with the pedals over time. However, I did not find much dirt on the TRICK pedals.
Truly a precision instrument crafted in the U.S.A. out of AL13 aerospace alloy. Remarkable Internal Spring technology that you can reach down in between songs and adjust with 1 hand. Same technology used on automobile camshafts. Here is a review on the Dominator Double pedals:

http://www.uberproaudio.com/articles/14/591-trick-drums-dominator-double-pedal-review

The BD pedal is most abused and thrashed item on the set. It actually gets stomped on everyday! Go quality first based on your research.
Now your research may not include testing out one of these badboys at the local shop. No one ever carries them! Not even GC or my local music store. They are a special order item. I opted for the Dominator Double pedal because of affordability (try to say that in a TRICK review!).

That sucka is crafted so precise! The drum keys fit so precisely onto each adjusment bolt with a tight fit. Not so on my DW9000. Amazing U-joint shaft on the double pedals. Zero latency and no play. Slave feels just like the master pedal. Direct linkage - so keep that in mind, along with either the longboard or shortboard. Like bermuda says, get your feet on them to try the "feel"

I like them. The AXIS, DD, DW, TAMA, are all nice pedals. It depends how you measure the price of quality (or even perception of quality).
TRICKs are expensive pedals. But top notch IMO...

I currently own a Trick Pro 1V ( thanks Bermuda) , a DW 9000 and an Axis X Longboard.
My personal favorite is the Trick followed by the Axis and the DW is going to be sold.

The Trick does have a unique feel and I really like it. it has a heavier feel than the Axis and the DW. The trick is also very well engineered and easy to play and adjust. The Axis is a great pedal too, not as many adjustments as the Trick, but I like it a lot too.
I picked up the DW 9000 about a month ago, and I just don't like it. I tried it with both the chain and sap drive and just can't get along with it. It just doens't have the immediate response the Trick and the axis have, so I am selling it. They are very nice, but I just prefer the Trick and the Axis more.

I plan on using the Trick for my Rock gigs and big roo. Gigs and the Axis for my Jazz trio gigs as the Trick has more oomph to it than the lighter feeling Axis.

I find my Trick Pro1v a pleasure to use. It has a very nice feel to it and it plays like butter. It's very adjustable and it's no longer a challenge getting down on my hands and knees to make a simple tension adjustment. Most adjustments are made with a standard drum key. They are on the upper end of the cost spectrum, but I feel that they are well worth it.

DSC_0186-1.jpg

DSC_0143-1.jpg

DSC_0152-1.jpg

Dennis

yeah dude they rock
not sure what the big foots are like, but i have big feet (size 14) and the normal pedals are fine

the best thing about them... solid as a rock. the amount of times this thing has been thrown about and it just carries on working

fyi i went from axis A longboards to the trick & the axis have just been gathering dust, i actually really dislike the axis in comparison

Although a great pedal, my foot didn't like it as much as I liked. I tried it for about two months and what I ended up with was a pedal that felt exactly like my old Tama Iron Cobra Junior. So part of me really liked the fact that I could get it to feel different ways, but part of me didn't like the fact that I just took a $350 pedal and made it play like my $50 special.

On a side note - one pedal I grew up with was the old Tama King Beat from the late 70s. I'm playing around with it again and I'm finding out that feel is like a less-springy Trick. It feels real comfortable to me too.

I'm at a point where i want to re-evaluate my pedals. I've played IC Power Glide pedals, DW 5000's and have not really been happy with them. I've had much better luck with the ' plain Jane Tama pedal that came with my kit 25 years ago.

I'm very curious to hear fron all you Trick users out there. I like the Axis pedals but haven't found a Trick pedal to check out locally to compare. The price of the Trick pedals is hard to justify.....better clean the house, mow the lawn etc...

Anyone out there have any opinions regarding these pedals?

The big difference with the higher priced AXIS and TRICK pedals is their build quality, they're well built with solid materials. Once set, these pedals need virtually no attention compared to other designs, they play the same night after night, they're really low maintenance.

They're also so well built you don't even need a bag/case, you can throw them around and not have to worry about breaking them, drag them by a rope behind the car to the gig's and they'll still play like new (make sure its a long rope tho, or they might fly back and break the rear window).

The reality is one can make any pedal feel good, the cheaper ones are more prone to failure/constant adjustment and maintenance.

The big difference with the higher priced AXIS and TRICK pedals is their build quality, they're well built with solid materials.

The reality is one can make any pedal feel good, the cheaper ones are more prone to failure/constant adjustment and maintenance.

Good point Les Ismore - that was the main reason I went with the Trick. Especially with a double pedal and that U-Joint axle thingamajig...

At this point, it can do all the "Tricks" as my DW9000. Hopefully for a lot longer time period...

the best thing ultimately about the trick (aside from the build quality) is that the spring isn't visible to the world

the best thing ultimately about the trick (aside from the build quality) is that the spring isn't visible to the world

Yeah, and that make the TRICK'S pretty much bullet proof,

Their compression spring does have its disadvantages tho, as the tension increases the feel is affected, it becomes compressed so to speak.

An extension spring offers better performance/feel at higher tension settings by comparison.

i guess, i have them wound as tight as i could get them and i love them, then again i play heel down/ankles so i don't know if that makes a difference

Back