[Thread closed] Mods, please help to delete, thanks!

I haven't had too many bad experiences with guitarist over the years. Two things I'd highlight once you are up and running, are:
1) LISTEN to what everyone else is playing....some guitarists have a tendancy to noodle away in their own little world, oblivious to what the rhythm section are doing. Makes for a very messy sounding band, I think.
2) Work on your timing....if I have one gripe about guitarists, it's their ability to push or pull a song in all directions. Hopefully your drumming skills come into play here and you develop a good feel for time early on.

That said, you're a ways from playing with anyone yet mate....just enjoy the learning process and have fun with the instrument.

You'd never be a drummer's nightmare because you could always see things from their perspective. So don't worry.

Having taught myself guitar since 2006 I will input:

1- As a guitarist I play SOME songs I DO NOT LIKE to play on drums. Get used to that.
2- Since learning, I NOW relate to the band way more and HAVE AN INPUT that DID NOT matter before. In other words, "Next time, play the right note a$$hol3".
3- Guitarists get stuck in the same tunes and can't learn others......I do. So as a band member, and the drummer, I say "learn this or that" and guitar man can't or won't, which is worse than can't. I fired my last guitar guy 3 months ago because of that. Hated it.
4- Keep your groove and your perspective. You, most likely, will NOT be Eddie Van Halen................so be cool, learn the roots, learn bar chords, and just be the drummer, that can play guitar.

I haven't had too many bad experiences with guitarist over the years. Two things I'd highlight once you are up and running, are:
1) LISTEN to what everyone else is playing....some guitarists have a tendancy to noodle away in their own little world, oblivious to what the rhythm section are doing. Makes for a very messy sounding band, I think.
2) Work on your timing....if I have one gripe about guitarists, it's their ability to push or pull a song in all directions. Hopefully your drumming skills come into play here and you develop a good feel for time early on.

That said, you're a ways from playing with anyone yet mate....just enjoy the learning process and have fun with the instrument.

+a big one to these. Learning the guitar is a great thing to do as it gives you an understanding of the instrument which can potentially help you out in a band situation. What I would say though is just because you're beginning doesn't mean you can't get some people of similar experience (or lack of) round to have a bit of fun, even if you are all beginners.

Play along to all your fave records, its a great way to learn.

As someone who has dabbled in guitar, I advise you start on an acoustic, it is much easier to pick up an electric after playing an acoustic then the other way around.

I play guitar, i actually started playing before drums (I'd say I'm better at drums though since i dont play guitar much anymore), i'd say just keep it simple. Ya can never go wrong that way. Im not good at guitar, but i can jam with a drummer for a while just with a few simple power chords

my auntie bought me a new acoustic guitar, and i don't know how to use it. so i ask my friend approach him to teach me. the first thing we did is, we have exercise our fingers and we split it in the fingerboard. that's it, and after it, familiarizing the chords and the tone.

One thing to know is that playing guitar hurts your fingers until your finger muscles strengthen and your LH fingertips toughen up. Not as bad as bass, though.

Also be aware that the action of the guitar and string gauge can make a huge difference to the playability of a guitar. I tried to play for a long time but I never got any good at it because it never inspired me ... I preferred listening to others who had the knack.

As a newbie with drums, and a little less so with guitar, my short experience and readings indicate that learning on an electric is easier than on an acoustic. String feel is different (tension?), and more effort is needed to get a clean sound.
Some people's experience may vary.

A nice guitar is far more fun to play than an average one. I played a $5000 guitar a few weeks ago and couldn't believe how beautiful one single note sounded on this thing.

New strings are awesome. Restring often.

Learn how to strum properly (look for a video)

DON'T ANCHOR YOUR PINKY ON THE BODY OF THE GUITAR WHILE PICKING

If you're playing metal, don't scoop out your mids and don't use too much gain. If you're not sure if it's too much, it probably is. Make it sound good on clean before bringing in distortion. Also, don't use flimsy weak picks. Get something fairly solid. I use the small Dunlop Jazz 3's for metal and other ones (can't remember the size) for music that is more "strummy".

Don't set up your amp tone while playing by yourself, make judgements based on what it sounds like with the rest of the band playing. Crash cymbals + distortion sound pretty horrible in the wrong hands.

If you're using distortion, mute any string that isn't meant to be sounding, ideally in two spots, or you'll be hitting harmonics and sound like a bowl of cold soggy bread.

Learn the basic chord patterns to suit whatever key you're playing in - major minor minor major major minor minor (or diminished? either seems to work). Makes it more fun to jam away on your own.

The minor pentatonic scale is easy and fun.

As a drummer my 'nightmare guitarist' is one who can't play as well as I can (which isn't very well because I don't practice, I'm a drummer!), doesn't focus on playing cleanly, and can't recognise when his tone sucks. Tone is god.

As a guiatar player for 18+ years I have a few bits of advice.

-Buy a guitar that is versatile and comfortable in your hands. For me its an American Standard Fender Stratocaster.
-Get a teacher that you can meld with genre wise and personally. I took lessons my first 3 yrs of playing and it made me become a better player.

Its great to be a multi faceted musician and it has helped me tremendously over the years.

-Buy a guitar that is versatile and comfortable in your hands. For me its an American Standard Fender Stratocaster.

Get yourself a MIM (made in Mexico) strat and have a professional put new pickups in it, it'll sound just as fine as an American strat and a helluva lot cheaper.

Yay for lessons. I played guitar for eight years before I switched to drums, I think I like drumming better but I still love guitars. I hear a good bit of talk of drummers complaining about guitar players, as a drummer you'll already have a good understanding of rhythm and keeping your volume in check. Just like with drums lessons are going to help you progress much faster that by trying to learn this stuff yourself.

What I do love about guitar playing is how easy it is to customize your instrument. I'm a bit of a gear nut and really took that idea of personalizing equipment to my drumming.

Back