Looks or Playing Ability?

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

BigSteve

My local gigging band recently auditioned two bass players. The first player I thought was really good, came in knowing the material and we locked in almost instantly. BUT, he was around 250/270 pounds and not the most handsome gent in the world.

Two nights later we audition another bass player. Second guy was good, knew the material and we locked in right away as well. This second guy is thin and looks pretty good for a man in his 50's.

In my opinion as the drummer, the first guy was a better player of the two...I liked his sound and his groove better. My band mates said nothing about the first guys playing, only his looks. The second player was questioned after the audition like the leader wanted him in the band. Nobody asked my opinion...which is really not the issue I have as I am not the leader of this group. I guess my problem is that the decision seemed to be based solely on looks and not playing ability. I know looks seem to be all so important these days but I've got to say I was a little disappointed.

Thoughts anyone?

My local gigging band recently auditioned two bass players. The first player I thought was really good, came in knowing the material and we locked in almost instantly. BUT, he was around 250/270 pounds and not the most handsome gent in the world.

Two nights later we audition another bass player. Second guy was good, knew the material and we locked in right away as well. This second guy is thin and looks pretty good for a man in his 50's.

In my opinion as the drummer, the first guy was a better player of the two...I liked his sound and his groove better. My band mates said nothing about the first guys playing, only his looks. The second player was questioned after the audition like the leader wanted him in the band. Nobody asked my opinion...which is really not the issue I have as I am not the leader of this group. I guess my problem is that the decision seemed to be based solely on looks and not playing ability. I know looks seem to be all so important these days but I've got to say I was a little disappointed.

Thoughts anyone?

I'd say if that's the way your band mates feel about it, the first bass player is probably better off playing somewhere else where he is accepted. There are plenty of top-notch players who will jam with him and it's a non-issue.

Well, the decision was based on looks, but not solely. Both bassists have the requisite skill for the gig, after all, so there's no reason to be bothered. It's the nature of the business to place at least some value on appearance, no way around it.

You say you liked the first guy's sound and groove better, but you've only had one chance to evaluate guy #2, and he may improve in these areas as time goes on. You might not be able to do much about his sound, but the two of you can definitely work on grooving well as a rhythm section.

It shouldn't happen.....and in a perfect world it wouldn't happen. But it does and I've been in bands where we've been guilty of it ourselves. Admittedly the playing ability was so close that the ultimate choice came down to the guy that best suited our image. But nonetheless, it is a factor. It's human nature......we're a strange lot.

..........but the two of you can definitely work on grooving well as a rhythm section.

Quoted for truth.

I'd say if that's the way your band mates feel about it, the first bass player is probably better off playing somewhere else where he is accepted. There are plenty of top-notch players who will jam with him and it's a non-issue.

Yes, I agree with you there. I've emailed him as I have another project and would like to have him in on it.

Well, the decision was based on looks, but not solely. Both bassists have the requisite skill for the gig, after all, so there's no reason to be bothered. It's the nature of the business to place at least some value on appearance, no way around it.

I know this to be true as well, still bothered me though

You say you liked the first guy's sound and groove better, but you've only had one chance to evaluate guy #2, and he may improve in these areas as time goes on. You might not be able to do much about his sound, but the two of you can definitely work on grooving well as a rhythm section.

We only had one look at either player. I guess I just liked the first guy better and didn't even think about how he looked.

It shouldn't happen.....and in a perfect world it wouldn't happen. But it does and I've been in bands where we've been guilty of it ourselves. Admittedly the playing ability was so close that the ultimate choice came down to the guy that best suited our image. But nonetheless, it is a factor. It's human nature......we're a strange lot.

Quoted for truth.

Yes, we can be a strange lot at times. I did contact the first guy as he plays upright bass as well. I've got an acoustic project I'm working on and think he would be a good fit...lol...no pun intended.

Sad that this happens. Impressions are a big thing to most people. Even a lot of people don't realize how they judge people. Makes me wonder. I mean ask yourself, I'd your band was looking for a new guitarist and singer if they'd turn down Jeff Healy because he's blind and plays the guitar flat on his lap. Music is music.

.........and think he would be a good fit...lol...no pun intended.

Just not through the doorway, hey? :)

Great idea mate. Networking is vital IMHO.....who know's where you'll be in a few years and staying in contact with guys you know you can work with can't hurt. Good luck with both projects.

i weigh like 300 pounds, but i carry it real well for some reason.
can't say anyone, male or female, has ever had a problem with it though

i used to feel real bad when i was a chubby little kid, but then i saw Gene Hoglan and life was ok

Sad that this happens. Impressions are a big thing to most people. Even a lot of people don't realize how they judge people. Makes me wonder. I mean ask yourself, I'd your band was looking for a new guitarist and singer if they'd turn down Jeff Healy because he's blind and plays the guitar flat on his lap. Music is music.

That's a fact....I'm not without my biasis either, but most of them I'm aware of are based on how people act rather than how they look.

Just not through the doorway, hey? :)

Great idea mate. Networking is vital IMHO.....who know's where you'll be in a few years and staying in contact with guys you know you can work with can't hurt. Good luck with both projects.

lol, good one PFOG. Yes networking is vital, we'll see how it goes with this project...it involves a cocktail kit....one I've never taken out of the garage.

i weigh like 300 pounds, but i carry it real well for some reason.
can't say anyone, male or female, has ever had a problem with it though

i used to feel real bad when i was a chubby little kid, but then i saw Gene Hoglan and life was ok

The bass player carried it well too. We are not all built the same...how boring would that be? I had to look up Gene Hoglan.....dude can play!..

It doesn't suit some bands have middle aged female drummers either.

Morbid obesity is just one non playing-related issue that can come up.

If it was all about playing ability Tribal Tech would be a multi platinum band and no one would have heard of Rebecca Black.

If it was all about playing ability Tribal Tech would be a multi platinum band and no one would have heard of Rebecca Black.

I think that's EXACTLY why we've heard of Rebecca Black, because she's so awesomely bad.

I'm gonna have to start actually working on my playing, I won't be able to make it on my good looks and boyish charm forever...

I was turned down for a metal band because I wasn't "metal enough", even though I had all of the technical skill. It's really about selling the entire band to an audience, and you have to consider ALL of the factors involved. It's unfair, but cest la vie.

I've emailed him as I have another project and would like to have him in on it.
I'm very pleased to hear that. If it's all about the music, and there's a distinct difference between auditioning players, a decision based on prejudice towards band benign factors is disgraceful. Sure, personal factors that profoundly affect the band's ability to succeed, whatever they may be, that's fair game.

Oh, another point. Are you hired/paid to be in this band? If not, then taking on a bass player without consulting the drummer on equal terms with other band members, would be a major red flag for me.

But were talking about a band. You've got to have visual appeal.

If all the band were heavy dudes then it might look rather cool and different. If only one of the band members is heavy then it might look slightly incongruous. But this isn't as important as being able to project a coherent image, whatever that image is, to the audience, be it fun, sassy, cool, serious, country etc.

So, let's not pretend that looks don't matter - it may not be about his weight anyway - but clearly the other band members thought he didn't fit in. It could just be about attitude!

Peace
Davo

Unfortunately, I've come to accept this as an axiom in my part of the world. My current gig was most likely based on my height and not really how great I think I play. I notice that when I look at everyone who works with me at the Happiest Place on Earth, there aren't any really tall people, or extremely chubby people....everybody is kinda' middle-of-the-road and attractive. I guess it is a step forward that all of these "pretty MOR people" are at least of all races, whereas back in the 50s-60s, they'd probably been all caucasian.

I have a chance to actually audition for a band coming up soon (face exposed and everything). We'll see what happens there, eh?

If there's one thing I've learned so far in this so-called career, is that a unified look tends to get the message across a bit better (if there is one). Most of our bands have a female lead singer, because sex sells. But it doesn't sell if the female is playing guitar, so we don't have alot of those (if any). Heights are about average, it's almost a cookie-cutter approach to entertainment. However, sometimes I wonder if it's this way because the industry is this way, or the buying public made it this way. It might've been alot different if the paying public puts its foot down and said, "no, we like overweight bass players and aren't coming to see another band until you hire some."

Lets all keep in mind that there is a very successful artiist out there by the name of "Meatloaf".

Heavy at times and what a looker...

Lets all keep in mind that there is a very successful artiist out there by the name of "Meatloaf".

Heavy at times and what a looker...

True. But how many Meatloafs have come and gone compared to how many Madonna-types? I almost want to point out that Meatloaf came in at the end of the era of the recording artist before MTV. As soon as the late 70s hit and videos were used as the primary way to promote the music being written, it was tough to look a little 'off' and become a mainstream artist. I'm not saying it's right, of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back