Is rock dead?

Ethan01

Just wondering in your neck of the woods, is RocknRoll dead or dying? It is where I'm at, it's been replaced by mostly electronic pop or metal. Are we just over saturated by mediocre rock bands?

What's the state of "music" in the area you gig the most?

Just wondering in your neck of the woods, is RocknRoll dead or dying? It is where I'm at, it's been replaced by mostly electronic pop or metal. Are we just over saturated by mediocre rock bands?

Whoah, just about skirting the edges of an uber flamefest by placing that question in a local context.

In my area, yes & no.

Yes, there's way too many mediocre rock bands, but finite venue capacity keeps the really good ones gigging and the rest fighting for the crumbs off the table. Put simply, the mediocre ones don't put bums on seats & up the beer sales.

No, not dying, in fact, I'd go as far as to say the audience is increasing. There's a couple of primary drivers behind this;

1/ To stand out from the grovelling masses, a rock band has to get both good & inventive. They have to offer something different, a USP if you like. That way, the genre is constantly being refreshed.
2/ A younger generation of rock fans is emerging. Not just the less mainstream sub genres like death metal or similar, but genuine classic rock fans too. These classic rock fans are looking for the material to be presented with an edge, and also looking for new material but within a familiar genre framework. It's that last segment I'm trying to tap into, and with some success thus far.

My band concentrates on completely new arrangements of classic rock tracks. Some like it, some don't. It's polarizing for sure, but that's the aim. We're moving towards original material too, encompassing a classic rock drive, but delivered with a bit of venom thrown in the mix.

well, i'm in a rock cover band and we still get hired so it's not completely dead in our area. there's a lot of competition though. there are only a few places that hire live rock bands and there are many, many rock bands floating around so it's tough. in my area it seems like a lot of places that used to hire bands now have DJs most of the time.

Rock is not dead, it just smells funny.

Borrowed from Frank Zappa when he was asked if Jazz was dead.

Nope, I would say that a new generation is getting into it, I attend download festival Sunday's is the 'classic rock' day, if you like and there is a huge attendence, thousands of younger guys have their favourite t-shirts on, Iron Maiden, ACDC, Saxon, Motorhead etc etc.

Haven't Iron maiden just released a new album...are anvil still going?

i dont believe any genre ever dies..... but that being said i believe it is sorta fading, i mean the classics will always rock and there will always b a following, but when it comes to new material rock has been around (theoretically) since the mid sixties there just simply isnt much left to do 40 yrs can yeild alot of ideas and there isnt much left to try to b original is flippn hard in rock music these days

but who knows it only takes one person to have a fresh idea and jumpstart the genre once again

i dont believe any genre ever dies..... but that being said i believe it is sorta fading, i mean the classics will always rock and there will always b a following, but when it comes to new material rock has been around (theoretically) since the mid sixties there just simply isnt much left to do 40 yrs can yeild alot of ideas and there isnt much left to try to b original is flippn hard in rock music these days

but who knows it only takes one person to have a fresh idea and jumpstart the genre once again
Generally agree, but apply that to jazz!

i think it depends and what you mean by rock. see im a younger guy (20 years old) so to me
rock is incubus, stained, smashing pumpkins, audioslave ect. which is often described as
alternative rock or pop rock. i have listen and payed my dues to acdc, Zeppelin ect. and im
not knocking it, i think its great stuff, but i think that arena rock and roll is a thing of the past.

i think arena music is going to be owned by the pop music genre for a while like the lady ga gas ect. as well as blink 182 types green day and what not. pop rock.

then eventually i think an electronic rock will rise. with electric acoustic kit hybrids and dj's and keyboard players.

i could be wrong tho. i hope im wrong.

No.

Rock bands, especially Classic Rock cover bands rule pretty much everywhere.

You mean the fun kind of rock and roll? Dead and gone for about twenty years now (thank you Nirvana). The weepy kind of rock and roll? Thankfully on its way out although there is a lingering stench here and there. Angry metal is still around though. If you can't have sex, drugs, or...(real) rock and roll at least you can be angry about it.

This is somewhat of an odd question that people have been asking for decades.
The old saying is really corny but true "Rock and Roll will never die".
It just changes and morphs a little. There are so many different types of Rock that its really hard to define it enough to ask the question "Is Rock fading or dying?".
There are just as many "Rock" acts now, that there have ever been IMO.

You mean the fun kind of rock and roll? Dead and gone for about twenty years now (thank you Nirvana). The weepy kind of rock and roll? Thankfully on its way out although there is a lingering stench here and there. Angry metal is still around though. If you can't have sex, drugs, or...(real) rock and roll at least you can be angry about it.

the best explanation of metal yet. haha

Theres a few underground rock bands that really scare the crap out of me for how good they are, The reason why it may seem to die out is because of the stupid record companys pushing crap in our face. ie lady gaga, tynchy stryder or however you spell 'it', and anything really thats in the charts, bar a COUPLE. You sometimes have to dig deep to find truely good bands/artists. In my area in england its very heavy metal and indie crap. I stay well clear of it. I play modern zepp/hendrix/sabbath stuff. Englands music scene on the whole is pretty dire when i compare it to the usa, or years ago in england. Due to america being a lot bigger for one and venues shutting down so not as many bands get heard etc etc. Im mostly into old music as its just so much better, (mostly soul, funk, jazz , rnb etc but more recently over the past couple of years rock like zepp etc.

But if you want a modern rock band, theres one that really rises above the rest. ROSE HILL DRIVE. check them out. incredible! other modern bands such as dirty sweet, the muggs, stone rider are also really good!

Anyone else got any? thats led zepp, bluest rock?

I haven't seen many rock bands in my area that really blow me away (that includes my own) but there seem to be quite a few around. Most of the gigs I see getting advertising are things like a local adult band (high school band music) or Christmas concerts.

On a national scale, The Black Crowes have just recently embarked on what they call their last tour before a lengthy hiatus. So it would seem that rock is at least going into a coma.

Not really possible.

Anyway, locally, I have an overabundance of (insert prefix here)core bands, a large metal following(and uninventive metal at that), Rap and hip hop, and some rockish stuff.

I personally play in a "Prog Powermetal" band, and I'm writing material to start a band that I can't really describe using a sub-genre, but it's certainly metal-ish. Just a little micro-cosm of demographics.

But I suppose how you look at it affects how you're going to answer that question.

Sure, the huge acts from decades ago are gone. In fact, I think there's a subcultural assault being mounted on them. That would explain the small-scale bands popping up like daisies. If you're familiar with the Indie movement, I think that's the latest incarnation of American Rock and Roll.

Generally agree, but apply that to jazz!

well i could b wrong here but imo there are greater possibilities in jazz ur not confined to a 2 and 4 back beat with a rather simple "cookie cutter" chord progression... and dont get me wrong im not bashn rock there is beauty in simplicity and requires more creativity ( wich imo is the most challenging part of rock)

true there are bands tht dont fit this mold at all (eg. tool, mars volta, mudvayne) but it is more accepted and "easier" to think outside the box in jazz bc all u have to do is "swing" lol i love jazz

also jazz is more easily fused with other genres eg. "fusion" and the ever so popular latin jazz u do that stuff in rock and bout 75% of rockers will completely disown u as a "panzy" band no matter how unique and BA ur band is lol

i cant believe i havent seen anyone mention Mastodon. they are an amazing band and they showed up in the early 2000s and are now getting big. Brann Dailor is an amazing drummer and is one of my drumming idols and the rest of the band is very very talented.

Back