RockStar or ImperialStar ?

Im one of those people that is very skeptical on used stuff. Never had problems, just not one for doing it. Also if he gets a new one he will get another tom, the mounting hardware, wood hoops instead of the crappy accu-tune ones, and his choice of color. Not necessarily worth the extra $200 to some, but for me that would definitely be a major factor.

Superstars (I the current Superstars) beat the Rockstars and the Imperialstars (of the past and current).

Main reason I didn't was because 12/13 toms sounded better to me for rock/metal than 10/12, and there were no user reviews of the RS kit (but all the reviews for IS on GC and MF were very good).

Hmm...I always thought that the standard size toms (of the present) - which are shallower than the deep toms - are more suited for metal, easier to tune, more attack (because of less distance between the batter and resonant head), better tuning range, less rumble.

I buy all my stuff used. Just examine it and make sure it's in good shape first, that was a mistake I made once, LOL.

Really, why would you pay an extra $200 for a new one when the used is in great condition?

Replacing all of the heads on a 5 piece set ALONE will eat up most of that $200. However, another good reason for buying used is the HARDWARE that no one seems to count.

Here is the dilemma I'm facing right now. My niece needs a "student set" for practice. I have a used Pearl Forum set almost complete with Roger Supreme hi-hat ,snare stand and Ludwig Atlas cymbal stand , but if I let it go for $250-$300, just buying the $500 Rockstar kit won't cut it because I'll need new hardware to go with it. Even with the $300 in my pocket, I'll still need to throw in an EXTRA $600 to get a complete set with hardware. If you add decent cymbals into the mix it gets even more expensive.

Dan

I've almost talked myself into getting it. Primarily I want the larger bass 22" (I have 2 20") and deeper shells to add more depth and punch to the bottom end of our rhythm section. And the color is dark green, which is one of my favorite colors. If it doesn't work out, I can always hawk it on eBay or Craigslist for about the same amount.

On another note, I played a gig March 6th and had 2 toms up (on a stand off set from the bass) and 2 down and was totally cramped. The space wasn't that wide and I had our two PA speakers on either side of me, plus the lead's amp right next to my floor toms. The singer's guitar ramp was right in front of my bass drum. I finaly decided to go with only 1 floor tom due to space limitations. And I had to adjust my hit hat a bit just so I wouldn't bump my arm against the wall while playing. Still I felt like I was in a sardine can. I had to move my crash cymbal and floor tom out in front of the kit just so I could get out from behind the kit to mix and mingle on breaks and such. But my band mates were very cool about it and helped out whenever I asked. And the lady I was with totally helped out by getting drinks, etc. since I was stuck behind the kit. In all, it made for a hilarious arrangement we all could laugh at. She thought it was totally funny and took pictures of it for posteriety.

Whenever I play a 4 piece, I usually have the ride tom on a snare stand. I don't believe it will cost much to buy the tom arm mount at GC just for the reasons mentioned above: space and time setting up and taking down and load in. One less stand to deal with, eh?

Back