Kick Drum physics experts in the house?

Maybe it's not really the drum at all but, maybe your mic? Have you tried other bass drums or mics?
I know mics that have had their polars bumped out of phase will "ring" and it's really apparent in low frequencies. For instance if the mic has been dropped or bumped rather hard. Just a thought.

D

Didn't realize you were on this forum Derek. The ringing is audible in the room and in the mics. You can't really hear it too much in the overheads, but I've tried a Beta 52, a 421, SM7, and a D6. Ringing is present in all of them. I even tried different pres to see if one would accentuate it less.

I usually don't have this problem with kicks. In fact I've only ever had one kit give me this kinda thing. It was one of the cheap Gretsch Catalina Birch kits. I actually sold the kit cause I could never make the kick sound good.

I got some pretty good results today tuning the batter around an A1 and the reso at a G1 a half step below that. With one of those little Evans pillows just barely touching the batter. The claws are just barely hanging on at this point. You can make them wiggle if you try hard enough.

Are there things that can stop a kick shell from resonating other than the hoop clamp on the pedal pulling the kick hoop down?

Back