Drum gear rundown videos?

eclipseownzu

Gold Member
This is a question I raised once before, but likely in the wrong format.

Would anybody be interested in watching drum gear rundowns of professional drummers on tour. For those of you who dont know what I am talking about just youtube premier guitar. They have hundreds of rig rundowns of pro guitarists from all different genre's of bands, yet i have not found many (any?) similar video's for drummers.

I am also curious of how to obtain the proper creditials to do this, even on the small local club level. I would love to film the kits, talk to the techs and bring that to the masses, but I dont think the club security is just going to let me waltz on stage with a camera and start filming.

What do you guys think, is it something worth persuing?

The only time I really see this is on instructional DVDs, and maybe on a tour blog made by the band.

On YouTube, manufacturers have artist gear videos, but only for their product. Sometimes, an artist will be featured for several products and you can get an idea of their full set up that way.

I'd be interested ..........................but, admittedly.....................I'm a gearhead

What others play doesn't interest me as much as how/what they choose to play. So even though I'm a gear head, I'm interested in what I want, not necessarily what someone else uses.

I sometimes like to see the drummer or tech going over a drummers kit. It doesn't have to be someone I follow either, just something that looks professional.

It's the basement tapes of all the gear people muck together, and then do a long rundown of it, that I don't get.

Specific pieces, like certain cymbal or snare I have watched that people have made (as it may be linked as similar to a product video), but just a "here's my kit" video, that's not anything I am interested in.

Me personally - I just don't care too much about what people play. If something really sticks out to me as unique in terms of a certain sound from a drum or cymbal, then I may perhaps dig a little deeper. But for 99.99% of what I'm exposed to, I'm not too interested.

I just stumbled upon the Premier Guitar "Big Rundown" Youtube series accidentally and yes, I would LOVE to see something like that for drums. I'm not a gear head, but have been out of the loop for a while and feel like Rip Van Winkle waking up to a whole new world of drumming equipment out there and would like to at least know what new possibilities exist and how many folks prefer vintage gear as opposed to new technology and why. I think it's a dynamite idea.

Yeah, I'd be interested. I enjoy watching the Premier Guitar videos and I don't even play guitar much. Would watch drum related ones for sure.

Don't mean to steal your thread, but this seemed like an appropriate place to add a suggestion or personal preference.

I have always wanted to conduct a sequence of demonstration videos where we had a single player repeating a 3 minute sequence in a setting where the drums and cymbals are veiled from view, initially. You could choose to test heads, cymbals and/or kits, although you can only change one variable at a time, using say 3 different kits, or 3 different cymbal types, or 3 different heads.

The final sequence would unveil the kits/cymbals so we could truly determine the relative merits of the various changes by SOUND ONLY.

Don't mean to steal your thread, but this seemed like an appropriate place to add a suggestion or personal preference.

I have always wanted to conduct a sequence of demonstration videos where we had a single player repeating a 3 minute sequence in a setting where the drums and cymbals are veiled from view, initially. You could choose to test heads, cymbals and/or kits, although you can only change one variable at a time, using say 3 different kits, or 3 different cymbal types, or 3 different heads.

The final sequence would unveil the kits/cymbals so we could truly determine the relative merits of the various changes by SOUND ONLY.

Cool idea, but the costs would be prohibitive. It would need to be sponsored by like guitar center or somebody. To go through a set of heads just to do a comparison test would be tough for most of us to do.

I would love to see the flame wars that would start from this. Everybody would be going crazy trying to prove that their opinion was the right one.

I really like Premier Guitars rundowns, if it was of a good quality I would definitely watch it

"Cool idea, but the costs would be prohibitive. It would need to be sponsored by like guitar center or somebody. To go through a set of heads just to do a comparison test would be tough for most of us to do.

I would love to see the flame wars that would start from this. Everybody would be going crazy trying to prove that their opinion was the right one."

One possibility would be to assemble several drummers with their respective kits from one geographic location.
More specifically 3 drummers from Dallas, or Denver, or Atlanta etc....

"Cool idea, but the costs would be prohibitive. It would need to be sponsored by like guitar center or somebody. To go through a set of heads just to do a comparison test would be tough for most of us to do.

I would love to see the flame wars that would start from this. Everybody would be going crazy trying to prove that their opinion was the right one."

One possibility would be to assemble several drummers with their respective kits from one geographic location.
More specifically 3 drummers from Dallas, or Denver, or Atlanta etc....

That's not how these videos work and they aren't comparison tests.

All it is is a pro drummer who plays with a well known act giving a summary of each part of their kit. They are asked questions along the way by an interviewer.

Back