What's Carmine doing here?

0:42 - 0:52 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2z8TpFV748

My band is covering this, but I'm a bit stumped as to what Carmine's playing in these parts. It sounds to me like skkkskkkskkkskkk over a bar but he's also whacking away at the floor tom by the look of it.

Any ideas anyone?
Not sure about the bass drum part (maybe just on the 1 to coincide with the crash), but the floor tom on 2,3, & 4 is carrying the vibe.

Cracking band performance BTW! :) No hiding behind that drum part ;)

0:42 - 0:52 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2z8TpFV748

My band is covering this, but I'm a bit stumped as to what Carmine's playing in these parts. It sounds to me like skkkskkkskkkskkk over a bar but he's also whacking away at the floor tom by the look of it.

Any ideas anyone?

It's just an even handed roll,crashing on the 1,with a triplet feel

He's using 1 hand on the floor tom,and the other on the mounted tom.I was able to see the Fudge live twice,and that's how he played it both times.

Steve B

left hand snare - 16ths
right hand floor - 16ths
bass drum 8th notes
unison 16th notes
crashing the quarter note with bass drum hits

sorry Steve no triplets here

:)

This "WhoIsTony" guy...(wink wink) has never been wrong with these kinds of questions. He really knows his stuff.

left hand snare - 16ths
right hand floor - 16ths
bass drum quarter notes
unison 16th notes

sorry Steve no triplets here

:)

EDIT; in Bos post of the more recent performance you can hear more clearly that he is playing 8ths on the kick not quarters

What was I thinking.....mea culpa.......thanks..Tony:):)

Steve B

left hand snare - 16ths
right hand floor - 16ths
bass drum quarter notes
unison 16th notes

Didn't realise the BD part was crotchets - when I played it I I thought they were 16ths so my drum part came out as LH snare, RH crash and hats on the one with 16ths on BD. Nowhere near as powerful, but I never expected to be able to play a CA part note for note.

Carmine was sensational in that track. That clip is almost Pythonesque in its alpha male posturing - love it! Special kudos for the bassist for an excellent silly dance.

Wowza ... I hadn't seen these guys play before. But that was quite the show/performance/spectacle.

Special kudos for the bassist for an excellent silly dance.

LOL ... +1 for the comment (and the bassist's dance).

And I had noticed this "WhoIsTony" fellow being active on the forum. I saw the ball getting bigger, then it hit me ......

man, I'm slow.

radman

left hand snare - 16ths
right hand floor - 16ths
bass drum quarter notes
unison 16th notes
I got on to this today. There's something brutally unorthodox about it -- and tricky; I had to start at 35bpm -- but it feels like a groove that will open up new pathways

Back