Double bass help?

tomek123

Ok so both of my feet are pretty fast but at fast speeds they hit the batter head at the same time, is there any fix to this or will I have to re work my whole technique ? Using Axis long boards.

Fast they may be, but controlled they ain't. Work on your control mate. That means doing the unthinkable and slowing down in order to do it. Aim for even, controlled strokes.

Remember, fast and sloppy is still just sloppy.....played fast. Speed is a by-product of control, not the other way round.

I agree that you need to practice playing slow, if you already have the speed.

However just playing slow is not enough. You need to practice the FAST technique SLOW.

You need to practice not stopping the beater when playing slow. When you play fast if you do it correct the beater will go all the way back smoothly without the foot stopping it between each stroke. When you play slow you usually stop the beater an inch or so off the head. Don't do this when you practice, practice doing it the same way you would play it fast.

Lift the feet up so the beater is all the way back but the feet are always in contact with the foot board. This is your starting position. Every time you hit the bass drum make sure the foot goes back to this position fast and without slowing down the pedal.

Practice a single stroke roll this way slowly for 10 minutes a day heel up and 10 minutes heel down for a week and come back here and write about your results.

Play it as 8th notes at 60BPM and after you can do it in your sleep, go to 80 then 100. I promise you, it works ;)

You can even do this on the floor heels down, raise your toes as far up as you can and keep them there, this is the starting position. Practice the book stick control this way with your feet at 60 BPM as eigth notes.

Fast they may be, but controlled they ain't. Work on your control mate. That means doing the unthinkable and slowing down in order to do it. Aim for even, controlled strokes.

Remember, fast and sloppy is still just sloppy.....played fast. Speed is a by-product of control, not the other way round.
For some weird reason I forgot that I should of slowed down and controlled it more. Like I get as fast as I can while lifting my legs up and stomping on the footboard but from there it all goes wrong with the faster speeds but thanks for the help !

I agree that you need to practice playing slow, if you already have the speed.

However just playing slow is not enough. You need to practice the FAST technique SLOW.

You need to practice not stopping the beater when playing slow. When you play fast if you do it correct the beater will go all the way back smoothly without the foot stopping it between each stroke. When you play slow you usually stop the beater an inch or so off the head. Don't do this when you practice, practice doing it the same way you would play it fast.

Lift the feet up so the beater is all the way back but the feet are always in contact with the foot board. This is your starting position. Every time you hit the bass drum make sure the foot goes back to this position fast and without slowing down the pedal.

Practice a single stroke roll this way slowly for 10 minutes a day heel up and 10 minutes heel down for a week and come back here and write about your results.

Play it as 8th notes at 60BPM and after you can do it in your sleep, go to 80 then 100. I promise you, it works ;)

You can even do this on the floor heels down, raise your toes as far up as you can and keep them there, this is the starting position. Practice the book stick control this way with your feet at 60 BPM as eigth notes.
Any other exercises to gain the even fast speed ? is there a video of somebody doing the 10 minute exercise's, I mean I get what you are saying but a visual would be great ! Thanks for the response btw

I practice my rudiments on my double pedals. It's greatly improved my control. Start with the paradiddle or the double stroke roll. I also spent a lot of time trying to copy this guy --> http://youtu.be/LqFP7Qz7EI8 James cassells of asking alexandria. I don't know what kinda music you're into, but regardless, he can play somepretty intricate patterns.

I practice my rudiments on my double pedals. It's greatly improved my control. Start with the paradiddle or the double stroke roll. I also spent a lot of time trying to copy this guy --> http://youtu.be/LqFP7Qz7EI8 James cassells of asking alexandria. I don't know what kinda music you're into, but regardless, he can play somepretty intricate patterns.

Not to sound like an asshole but the speeds he does with doubles I can do right now.. but thanks for the post !

Not to sound like an asshole but the speeds he does with doubles I can do right now.. but thanks for the post !

I'm not talking about his speed, I'm citing his patterns. If you wanna work on control at high speeds you should try playing intricate patterns at average speed. Play a paradiddle with your pedals at 180 BPMs or so. Practice leading with your right AND left foot.

I'm not talking about his speed, I'm citing his patterns. If you wanna work on control at high speeds you should try playing intricate patterns at average speed. Play a paradiddle with your pedals at 180 BPMs or so. Practice leading with your right AND left foot.

Ok I get what you are saying with the patterns but leading with your right and left foot I don't really agree on. Even George Kollias said it him self that your left foot should be strong but right foot should be your primary foot because then they both try to lead and it messes up your playing, or something along those lines. Pretty sure it was in his DVD... saw it on youtube

Ok I get what you are saying with the patterns but leading with your right and left foot I don't really agree on. Even George Kollias said it him self that your left foot should be strong but right foot should be your primary foot because then they both try to lead and it messes up your playing, or something along those lines. Pretty sure it was in his DVD... saw it on youtube

I guess it depends on what you're playing, and your own style, of which is all personal. What are you playing? Are you just tryin to play at higher BPMs?

George did say he doesn't recommend focusing on L foot lead/development (at least not too much) - yes, it's on his (1st) DVD (he has a 2nd brand new DVD set out now).

But even if he said so... There's so much benefit of getting your weaker foot up as you possibly can so I wouldn't stick to somebody's words (even if it's George in this case) but just do it instead. There is plenty of stuff that needs the L foot to have good control. And don't worry, it takes a lot of work to get noticeable results so should you run into problems having your L foot even getting close to dominating over your R foot... simply stop practicing your L foot and things will balance out ;-)

You want to have balanced feet - so getting one's weaker elements up makes perfect sense to me. Identify your maximum speed in single foot mode - there should be a clear gap between your R and L foot. Do you like it? If no - focus on your weaker elements! Simple in theory, hard in reality - because working on issues/weaker elements isn't fun, it's hard work.

Any other exercises to gain the even fast speed ? is there a video of somebody doing the 10 minute exercise's, I mean I get what you are saying but a visual would be great ! Thanks for the response btw

Haven't seen it, this is something I've invented my self for my own practice. Everyone keeps saying you need to practice really fast because the motion is different but noone seems to be practicing the same motion slow. Everything you practice fast can also be practiced this way slow to get the same motion. If you do it slowly like this heels down you are basically practicing the 180+ BPM motion. Just lift your feet up so they touch the pedals but they are not pressing them down and play every stroke and let the beater bounce back to that starting position freely. This is really hard but perfect it slow and you should able to do it fast effortlessly ;)

Yes the george kollias 16 week speed and control workout is great but I thought you said you already have speed. You need to work on controlling that speed and for control you need to be playing slow and play intricate patterns as someone said.

There is also the 30 minute workout by derek roddy, also very important. Search youtube for that one.

You are right about george kollias saying that leading with the left is bad. However people have been practicing their hands that way for a 100 years, same things work for your feet.

Try the book stick control heels down at 60 BPM as eight notes with the same method I described. One page for 20 minutes every day, change to the next page every week.

George does say that (or at least he did in his first video, I don't know if he still does) but I would have to respectfully disagree with him. I think the feet should be trained the same as the hands, and equally. Leading with the left foot absolutely does not confuse you or mess you up, it has only positive benefits, at least for me.

George does say that (or at least he did in his first video, I don't know if he still does) but I would have to respectfully disagree with him. I think the feet should be trained the same as the hands, and equally. Leading with the left foot absolutely does not confuse you or mess you up, it has only positive benefits, at least for me.

I am not agreeing or disagreeing with you, but I threw that statement just out there. btw have been watching your videos even before you posted or added me as a friend, you are really good !

Back