Is there an alternative to sticks and brushes for cool jazz?

RogerLudwig

I'm starting to rehearse with a combo that plays cool jazz and instrumental stuff in coffee houses and country clubs. Volume is very low. My problem is that when using my ride cymbal, sticks (I use Vic Firth 7A wood tip) are too loud and brushes are to soft. I've tried Blastiks, but the definition and articulation just aren't there. The brushes are great on the snare, but suck on the ride. I'm using Ludwig retractable rubber handled brushes with the little black ball on the butt end.

Any suggestions for what I might use to get clear articulation on the ride at very low volumes?

Have you tried hotrods?

ProMarkHotRods.jpg

I have used the hot rods then switched to the Thai sticks by Regaltip. The Thai sticks have a rubber o ring that you can move up and down changing the sound. Check them out.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I ordered from Vic Firth some AJ6 sticks (the thinnest one they make), a rute model 303, and a "jazz rake" which looks like a brush with plastic instead of wire.

They should be here Monday; I'll report back after I've had a chance to see how they work out.

Back