Foot percussion advice

ludicrouspeed

Hey there!

I play guitar & vocals in a folk band & we don't have a drummer, we just stomp on things.

I'm currently using a modified floor tom as a kick.

Long story short I have a couple of questions:

1. I play standing up & find using my heel much more comfortable / sustainable / accurate than using my toes. But I want the drums in front of me. I found this http://www.schlagwerk.com/products/cajon-add-ons/cajon-pedal/ & it looks like an ideal solution but they don't appear to import to Australia. Does anyone know an alternative to this product or how I can import a couple? ("Two" you ask? Yes two, which brings me to my second question...

2. I plan on using the second pedal on one of these micro snares http://www.zzounds.com/item--LBLLP846SN using my other heel. I know this technique works well (for simple beats it's just a matter of marching in time with the song which feels very natural) But my question is regarding replacing the beater of the kick pedal with a brush or hot rod to achieve a more mellow sound. Is there a product like this I can buy? ie. a brush attachment for a kick pedal? Or will I need to fashion something?

I appreciate any advice!

advTHANKSance

- Ryan

1) So you play the pedal backwards (Your toe is on the heel plate)?

I would suggest learning how to play it normally, Mumford and Suns do a real good job at it.

2) There a a plethora of beaters to look at.

Hey there, thanks for your reply.

1) My toe is more on the ground. I can use the pedal normally, I just find using my calf muscles gets tired & I feel off balanced. Mumford & sons only use a kick & I will be using both feet which will mean I can't put one foot back for balance. I play a lot of long gigs & being off balanced like that really starts to make me sore after a while.

2) I have searched around & have been unable to find a brush / hotrod attachment for a pedal. Any links?

Hey there, thanks for your reply.

1) My toe is more on the ground. I can use the pedal normally, I just find using my calf muscles gets tired & I feel off balanced. Mumford & sons only use a kick & I will be using both feet which will mean I can't put one foot back for balance. I play a lot of long gigs & being off balanced like that really starts to make me sore after a while.

2) I have searched around & have been unable to find a brush / hotrod attachment for a pedal. Any links?

Well, the only way to be able to use both feet is to sit, unless you play both with one foot.

I would try regular beaters first, if they are not satisfactory, you could find a metal dowel at a home improvement store and securely attach a brush or hot rod to it.

Last edited:
Back