Good heads for Ludwig Epic snare?

rogue_drummer

Gold Member
I need to replace the heads on my 6 1/2" x 14" birch-maple-birch 6 ply Ludwig Epic Euro snare.

I'm totally dumb when it comes to snare batter heads. For example I don't get the whole dot / reverse dot concept or the vintage or powerstroke thing. I'm sure there is good reason for those things but I'm a totally uneducated toothless bumkin when it comes to that. (No offense to anyone, but my arse is lost. Grin.)

Also should I get a generic clear reso head 1 ply thick or am I missing something there too?

Thanks in advance!

What sound are you hoping to get out of it?

I am also a proud bumpkin when it comes to exotic snare heads. Every snare I own has a coated single ply. If I want it muffled, I use a moongel.

Maybe I'll learn something too...

Interesting about the single ply. I'm looking for a punchy, crisp sound for rock, blues, jazz, and country. Thanks!

the reso head is not a simple singly ply head, it is thinner.
get an Evans Hazy 300 snare reso or Remo snare side equivalent.

IMO you can't beat a nice simple coated Remo ambassador snare batter, it is the most versatile and 'open' of snare sounds. Emperor 2 ply the same but a little 'fatter' or warmer.
The other heads you mention have special features, usually muting the overtones that some people do not cherish.

For any Ludwig snare, I'd recommend trying:

Ludwig LW3314 (Snare Batter Medium Coated)
Ludwig C1114 (Snare Resonant Head X-Thin)

Ludwig USA heads are premium quality, and do an excellent job showcasing my Ludwig snares.

The Ludwig OEM APAC heads are shi....erm...bad.

Single ply coated batter top (Remo/Evans/Aquarian)
Snare side (Evans Hazy 300/Ambassador Snare/Aquarian)

As Opentune said use double ply if you want a warmer/fatter sound.

42 strand snare wires will give you a nice sensitive snare sound too.

Not a fan of dampening my snare, needs to sing, dampening affects the feel of the drum.

I put a REMO coated CS rev. dot on my Ludwig Epic 5x14 snare this was after using a coated ambassador. with the thin shells of the epics that head sounded more fatter and not as much ring as the ambassador and its more durable.

keep swattin'
Bonzolead

Back