The Remo Starfire head

Intriguing heads, no doubt! Chad Sexton from 311 uses them on his roto toms on the left side of his kit.

Funny, I just ordered one of these after seeing Bo Eder mention them in another thread. I've had a plain white reso on my kick for years and I'm not real keen on it, but I've been unsure about what to replace it with. Then Bo mentioned these and the light clicked. I think it will look good on my kit. It's funny that it didn't occur to me before because I had one on my old kit which was a mid-80s Tama Imperialstar. So this will have a little nostalgia value for me too.

I continue to be in love with the tone as a reso from the Remo Starfire head. Crisp.

I had these on my Maxwin in the 80's. Always liked them.

I just ordered a 10 & 12 in gold for the reso side of my pewter sparkle Keystone. I think that will look pretty cool.

The order could take 3-4 months as no distributor that my local store uses has them. Of course.

I had these on my Maxwin in the 80's. Always liked them.

I just ordered a 10 & 12 in gold for the reso side of my pewter sparkle Keystone. I think that will look pretty cool.

The order could take 3-4 months as no distributor that my local store uses has them. Of course.

You don't have to wait months. Just order them online from Memphis Drum Shop. You'll have them in a few days. Plus they put their cool logo on the head, if you happen to like their logo. If not, it's easy enough to remove

I used to have a Starfire Powerstroke II batter head on one of my snare drums. So cool looking, I played it well beyond its useful life.

You don't have to wait months. Just order them online from Memphis Drum Shop. You'll have them in a few days. Plus they put their cool logo on the head, if you happen to like their logo. If not, it's easy enough to remove

I know there were some online options but I am in zero hurry so I decided to stay local.

I quick ebay scan shows no one has a 10" listed either. Russo has a 12" but probably not a 10. No biggie.

I love the look on those timbales! Too bad REMO doesn't make a gold mirror "starfire" that would match brass timbales.
They do come close.

omomgqpvpdvowcbqm5pe.jpg

1711808776662.jpeg

I've never tried the Remo Starfire heads, but I used to use the Evans Mirror heads. They were very unique sounding. It was a two-ply head with a resin counter hoop. I think they just called them Rock heads. They came in red, blue, and clear as well.

I wonder if the Remo heads sound at all similar?

I've never tried the Remo Starfire heads, but I used to use the Evans Mirror heads. They were very unique sounding. It was a two-ply head with a resin counter hoop. I think they just called them Rock heads. They came in red, blue, and clear as well.

I wonder if the Remo heads sound at all similar?
The Starfire hoops are single ply 12 mil with chrome laminate (so neatly in between the Ambassador 10 mil and Emperor in combined 14 mil).

So probably sound a bit less muted/dark than the Evans?

I’ve seen Chris Sharrock (Oasis drummer) playing a chrome Premier Elite with a Starfire. It was quite something to look at on stage.IMG_6806.jpeg

The Starfire hoops are single ply 12 mil with chrome laminate (so neatly in between the Ambassador 10 mil and Emperor in combined 14 mil).

So probably sound a bit less muted/dark than the Evans?
Yeah, with that construction, your description sounds about right.

I never heard another head that was quite like the Evans. It was subdued, but not really muffled sounding. Looked killer on my black Luddies too. 😊

If I was going for a modern flashy look these days, I'd give the Starfires a whirl.

Back