The Heel Toe Thread

Re: heel toe technique for bigfoot

They don't have over size pedal don't they and you can't shrink your foot neither. So I guess you can't do it heel-toe the usual way. Maybe you should slant your foot at 45 degree angle and try doing the heel-toe.(I don't know - I'm just imagining)

Size 12? Try size 16, man! No, as far as heel-toe, i guess i dont really do it.

A while back I sent an email to Gene Okamoto of Pearl drums, and he said he had talked to the designer of the eliminator pedals anout this concept. I havent seen anything for it yet, but I have faith in Pearl to make something that will work for us bigfootsies.

Errrr, size 12 is pretty normal unless we're talking about different scales here. I'm a 12.5-13 US and I don't have any problem with the size of my feet... although now that you mention it, I definitely have a couple of pairs of shoes that I avaoid wearing while I'm playing. The shoes that I like playing in the most are like 2 years old and the flattest, narrowest ones I have. I think your shoes might be more of a problem than your foot size in itself.

skippy said:
ok you all no what they say about guys with big feet...they cant play the heel toe thing...so i have size 12 shoes and a dw 7000 pedal anyone who can help me leard this will be greatly admired...please help.
thanks in advance

skippy

Check out the axis-x longboards. They are substantially longer than dw pedals. I have the same sized feet and it was a lot more work for me to learn to play heel toe than buddies who all have size 9 feet.

Size 12= much longer than the dw9000 footboard. It is a bit awkward compared to say Joey Jordinsons little feet.

If someone can help you out here for free, definately take that advice... however if it isn't working for you for any reason - you can check out my heel-toe technique video lesson. It's cheaper than a single private lesson, and shows exactly how to play this method even if you have shoe sizes of 20+. Seriously, it can be done with ANY size and I cover that specifically in the video. Again... if some free advice will do the trick - then save your money.

Videos of Heel toe bass method

Hi

Does anyone have a video or something that shows the proper way to do the heel toe method for playing the bass drum?
I'm not sure that the way that i am trying it is the proper way.

Any help will be much appreciated(sp).

Re: Videos of Heel toe bass method

I have two videos, one is 18mb~ and the other is 45mb~
In these videos the guy explains it very good, with slowmotion and all that. also beats you can practice the technique with.

Just give me a place where i can host it. (without becoming a member)

-
heel_toe_training_high

Heel-Toe Video

- That's the name of the videos, try DC or something untill i get some kind of hostsite.

Got the video off lapa and hosted for you (link removed by administration)

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks lapa and nick!!!!!!!

That is an awsowe video. I'm gonna go practice it right now.

rjvsmb

Thanks a lot guys. This has been very helpfull. :)

After watching the vieo, I started practicing this nonstop. problem im running into is i dont think my pedal tension(sp?) is high enough anyopne out there have any tips on finding the right tension to get good rebount on the foot pad. i use DW4000 double bass pedals FYI

Whitey

I was wondering if the heel-toe technique is any faster than playing heel up, i watched this video and i can play anything he is playing on there and more, playing heel up.

If it is a faster way of play, I will give it a shot and try it out.

I'm glad someone had the breaksticks.com video and was able to post it. Rick explains the technique very well.

You can actually buy a video that his partner Jared Falk has produced at www.heeltoetechnique.com I believe it is. The laughable thing about it though is that on the site he claims that the video is $99 and you can get it for a limited time discount of $9! $99 regularly for a DOWNLOADABLE video? Yay..where do I sign up..

Steve Gadd also demonstrates the technique on his "Up Close" video, although he does it alot more elegantly and smoother looking. I'm still trying to do 16th notes with that technique and I just can't make it flow smoothly.

After watching the vieo, I started practicing this nonstop. problem im running into is i dont think my pedal tension(sp?) is high enough anyopne out there have any tips on finding the right tension to get good rebount on the foot pad. i use DW4000 double bass pedals FYI

Whitey

so i think not so much tension, i have never used a DW pedal, apart from in a shop once. so dont really know what that ones like

I use a basic mapex pedal with not much bounce on it at all, and i find that easier beacuse if youy have to much tension the pedal just bounces to much and ur foot can t keep up with it,

i used to think that having more tension on springs = faster pedals but from DVDs and also at drummerlive2005 i saw that it was the opposite. since then i have detensioned my springs to the extent that my beatere swings back and forth for at least ten seconds after i leave it and voila i'm suddenly a lot faster and have more endurance. seems obvious to me now.

j

ps: sorry guys but i had to remove the link to the heel toe method as it is copyrighted and its owner specifically asked me to do it. please only post public stuff (videos that are available on quite a few sites). it is hard to tell i know, but if something has good quality sound, size and is as long as this video was then you can be sure that it is meant to be bought. who knows, one day you will want to make an instructional clip and then want paying. and on top of that we don't want Drummerworld to be sued. protect the forum please.

Back