getting old & tired: what to do?

yammieoaks

so drumming and age aren't working out for me, I'm getting tired during rehearsals, want to take breaks earlier than others. I'll be honest, it's not the most inspiring project right now so this may have something to do with it, but I definitely think I need to start exercising more to keep up my stamina.

I swim 2x/week and walk a lot, but what else would help (what specifics of weight training?) with helping me not fizz out so quickly?? push ups, I don't know, I never go to the gym and work with weights

Get a hot chick to attend the rehearsals, that might perk you up. Seriously, I'd try jogging, but if the project is uninspiring, that sounds like the real issue.

Get a hot chick to attend the rehearsals, that might perk you up. Seriously, I'd try jogging, but if the project is uninspiring, that sounds like the real issue.
ya, I tried jogging and you know, i'm getting old so it's too hard on my body, that's why I thought weight training but don't know which exercises specifically...but yes, no inspiration=no fun!

I think aerobic exercise is what you want, it tends to give you more of a sense of well being than weight training. How about an exercycle?

The fact that your not happy w/the playing situation may be the reason that you lack energy. I started playing w/my guitar player of 13 years and 3 new members 6-7 months ago. At the start I could not wait for the next rehearsal. Great vibe, great players, and great energy. Months later personalities have surfaced and the energy is just not the same. So that has a LOT to do w/it. Besides that, I would look at if you smoke and what kind of food you eat during the day and before rehearsal. If you have a double burger and fries beforehand that could make you sluggish........................................anyway, try different things. Try and stay away from food that are heavy on the fat. I usually have two Nature Valley granola bars and an Orange Crush 16 oz. soda and it gets me through 2.5-3 hours of rehearsal. Experiment. Good Luck.

The fact that your not happy w/the playing situation may be the reason that you lack energy. I started playing w/my guitar player of 13 years and 3 new members 6-7 months ago. At the start I could not wait for the next rehearsal. Great vibe, great players, and great energy. Months later personalities have surfaced and the energy is just not the same. So that has a LOT to do w/it. Besides that, I would look at if you smoke and what kind of food you eat during the day and before rehearsal. If you have a double burger and fries beforehand that could make you sluggish........................................anyway, try different things. Try and stay away from food that are heavy on the fat. I usually have two Nature Valley granola bars and an Orange Crush 16 oz. soda and it gets me through 2.5-3 hours of rehearsal. Experiment. Good Luck.
thanks for the input, after 3 yrs of so-so projects I actually am considering moving to bass because I feel my drumming is not improving nor will I become an amazing drummer. But I'm also realizing that although I definitely could improve, if I'm not happy and feel that 'high' from playing with the proejct, my drumming will remain mediocre...so I haven't given up yet.

I actually went through a detox, cut down on drinking (not a huge drinker anyway) and don't eat as much heavy or fatty foods. Definitely helped, along with not drinking during rehearsals (ouch!). I think I just need to up my exercise, cardio I guess

I'm 52 and I play with two bands plus I still work 40 hours a week in a busy automotive repair shop. I make sure that I take my Glucosamine every day and also a multi vitamin formula for my age. I like to use a treadmill three times a week for cardio workout. I don't do weeknight gigs anymore. I play only one or two gigs a week. I rehearse with each band once a week. I limit my drinking now to one drink a day during the week and only two drinks during the eve at a gig. I drink sports drinks at gigs instead of numerous beers. I don't play hard rock that much any more. I play Lighter to Moderate Rock, Blues, and Contemporary Bluegrass now. It's a slower pace. I'm happy with it. I Ski and I play tennis and golf also. Just slow down until you are comfortable. Don't push yourself to hard. We're not twenty years old anymore! You have a lot of playing left in you if you pace yourself a bit!

thanks for the input, after 3 yrs of so-so projects I actually am considering moving to bass because I feel my drumming is not improving nor will I become an amazing drummer. But I'm also realizing that although I definitely could improve, if I'm not happy and feel that 'high' from playing with the proejct, my drumming will remain mediocre...so I haven't given up yet.

I actually went through a detox, cut down on drinking (not a huge drinker anyway) and don't eat as much heavy or fatty foods. Definitely helped, along with not drinking during rehearsals (ouch!). I think I just need to up my exercise, cardio I guess

If you really like drums, then stick w/it. It sounds like your playing w/the wrong people or playing the wrong style. They have a bass player so you wouldn't play w/them anyway if you switched to bass. So why switch instruments cause of them when you can switch playing situations.
The energy would be there if you eat better then you are. Or more often. Your typical story of 4-6 smaller good meals. Also if your happy on the way to rehearsal to play what you like w/people you like the energy/adrenaline will be there naturally.
I like to exercise w/stretch bands. A lot can be done w/them. Water is great also.

You're only as old as the women you feel ;^))

I don't want to put my words in your thoughts, but maybe it's time to do something different in your life. Break the routine and monotony.

All The Best,

I believe it is more the energy with the people you play with. If your diggin the band, and people, if your audience is diggin you etc. I love playing out but often get bored and tired at practices. I think that is just because i don't like to practice the way i like to play out.

Just my 2 cents

just regarding the weight's - i tried jogging and cardio for a while and all i got was tired, now it's weights, they work well, you feel better because you feel stronger, everything gets easier - work, running after kids, drums, you name it!

i started by getting a fantastic book called "Men's Health Maximum Muscle Plan" (don't get sucked in by the 'trainers' at the gyms, for every good one there are 10 bad ones...), you can get it at Chapters - try weights, you have nothing to lose, maybe you don't like them or maybe it changes your life for the better, who knows...

good luck!

I have a few comments on this subject. My other hobby is cycling, and I put on a ton of miles and work very hard at getting faster etc. On one hand, I have a lot more energy through the day, and I am certain that it translates to my health on the kit. I'm older like you, my avatar mercifully doesn't show all the gray.

On the other hand, I've learned a lot about training the body to do specific things, like playing the drums for long periods of time or climbing hills on the bike. The most important thing I've learned is specificity. It means that to build the strength and endurance to do a thing well, you must do the thing. If you want to climb hills, you don't do it in the weight room, you do it on the hills. If you need endurance on the kit, play more. If you're dragging after 45 minutes of playing, start practicing in 90 minute chunks of steady work. Jogging or cycling will massively improve your body's aerobic system, but you need lots of kit time to keep your feet, wrists and fingers supple and responsive.

And I'm going to guess you are a much better drummer than you think you are, that your many years gives you fine tuning that you can't get any other way. We don't all have to sound like Dave, Vinnie or Jo Jo with dizzying wow factor. Maybe assessing your current band and deciding what it needs to become would be best. Don't be too hesitant to approach the subject with your band, you're probably not the only one who would like more fulfillment. I don't think you're too old to play, but I do think you're too old and wise to play in a project that doesn't get you excited.
G/L!
John

Last edited:
Back