Matched Grip vs. Traditional Grip: Pro's and Con's?

Re: TRADITIONAL vs MATCHED GRIP

Mhm...I watched that Dom Falmularo video with Jim Chapin on Vic Firth web page, and ya know what, Jim does triplets and 16th notes better with his left hand... IMHO if u want to get into Moeller technique and Gladstone technique it could be better to learn trad grip basicly just because when these techniques were invented drummers mainly played using trad grip.

Another thing is more different sound options because of the angle the stick is benig hold, for example when doing triplets u can get 3 different sounds easely just because each one of these strokes will have a completely different angle

As for why one should learn trad grip, here are my reasons:
1) looks cool :DD
2) a different feal
3) easyer to do triplets

One more thing, i liked the way how Jojo Mayer explained why he uses trad grip - first of all it is because he had some clinics from the guys that lived in the big bad and early jazz era and they just sayed ''hey what's that? that's not a grip! Man, u should play in traditional'' :DD
The reasons he keeps playing that - it just makes a completely different feal and the left arm is able to do things that his right wouldn't come up to, as he sayed he is sometimes surprised of what his left hand does :D and - asymmetry is more creative then symmetry

I think it actually doesn't really matter whether one is using Traditional or Match Grip or both - It's a matter of preference ... both are equally good though majority of drummers are using Match.

The important thing is that the technique eg. match grip (if we are using it) has to be correct, as I only found out when I was having my 1st Drum lesson last Saturday. I didn't know that I was doing it wrongly all these while, till my instructor told me when he saw me doing my Double-Stroke....and so...the last 3 fingers in Match Grip has to control the rebound (we must be able to catch the sticks) and not let freely. I was told by my instructor - to play it slowly...it's ok and build speed later on - just get the technique correct....and all our stroke will be perfect and precise later-on....I guess playing loud without draining strength lies here too - the technique. My sticks have to be always just around/above the snare app 1 to 1.5cm after each stroke ??????

Re: Traditional vs. Matched Grips

theduke86 said:
The specific reason why I do it is versatility... I like to play mallets, timbales and tympanis as well, and traditional grip doesn't cross over to those instruments. Plus if you ever want to explore open hand playing, you have that option.
Besides, I think traditional is out of it's time, it was created for field snare drummers who tilted their snares to the side. We don't really need to do that anymore, so why should we?
One more point- I like to make sure my weak hand(left) is as good as my right... what better way to compare than to use the exact same grips?

very good points, or just a justification for me why I want to stay with my match grip and find it completely impossible to handle trad. grip....yeah right , trad. grip was originally for field drummers because their snare was so close to them tilted another way , so that they could reach it best by using this trad. grip.
by the way: why is every &^%$£ post posted twice on this thread???

traditional or mached grip?

do you use traditional or mached grip?
i was wondering which one is more popular/beter for diferent playing styles

Re: traditional or mached grip?

dum_drummer said:
do you use traditional or mached grip?
i was wondering which one is more popular/beter for diferent playing styles

I started with Traditional then went to matched. I started practicing traditional again but only want to use that while playing the jazz style.

i play matched. only time i used traditional was when i was in my high school drumline.

Yes, i think it depends what style or what your comfortable with, like rock i would never play traditional, but jazz i would play mainly traditional unless i wanted a certain dynamic that is easier with matched.

I can't get used to traditional, but ive heard its easier with jazz and rudiments.

Although, I watch max weinberg on conan almost every night and he uses traditional for faster drumming and then when he goes to big hits and moving around the kit he uses matched.

Traditional grip is really only used for jazz (as explained previously) and marching snare. The reason almost every marching band and drum corp uses trad grip is for its visual appeal. Marching snares are meant to be seen, and involve many people playing the same thing simultaneously top make a single entity. Match grip lacks much of the visual allure of trad grip.

IMHO it is much more impressive watching 8 snare play identically with trad than with match.

Also, when playing double mallets, the rotational movement of the hand is almost identical to traditional grip. So practicing one does help with the other.

P.S. Santa Clara is just playing match for the sake of being different, which i think is pretty lame but w/e

Just an observation, but the three most admired (talked about) drummers on this site are Gadd, Vinnie C, and Weckl. And as far as I have seen they play exclusively with the traditional grip. Hum………..

Then I took a look a Dennis Chambers (and the Buddy Rich Big Band)

http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/Dennischambers1.html

And I noticed near the end of his solo he switches to the traditional grip for what looks like some ghost notes, etc. Notice how he lifts the but-end of his stick higher for the dainty sounding ghost notes (the stick and attack angle). It’s a simple technique that’s often ignored or over looked because it’s just not ROCK enough for most. But it’s good enough for Dennis (for one) so...

If you want to be a good/great matched grip player that’s 100% cool and a personal preference. But if you want to learn/experiment with different sounds and technique’s (like most drummers do) you could play a few bars with traditional grip for the sound. It will not interfere or effect your "matched grip technique" plus it can only make you a more "well- rounded" drummer with virtually no effort on your part (That's if your goal is to be a "well-rounded" drummer I guess some just want heavy-metal or ???). But who knows you just might find that your left hand will out perform your right in some cases. But the fact is, if you never give it a chance you’ll never know.

FYI: I’ve played Rock & Jazz so I can play both ways with ease, and I do play about 90% of the time Matched grip. But it does depends on what I'm playing.

I would never tell someone they should or should-not play how they want (unless they are developing a bad habit.) But surly you want to "Be all you can be" Without joining the US Army right? LOL

A buddy of mine was at Summer NAMM and had a 3 hour impromptu lesson with Jim Chapin. Chapin told him matched is definitely the way to go over traditional. He told him basically not to waste much time playing in traditional grip. I'm sure there are various opinions on it.

I think it's kind of screwy how quite a few think if you play traditional, you're a better percussionist. I played matched and have dawdled with playing traditional. I think it's all a preference thing but I guess I'm just never destined to be great until I switch.....

Mike St.Clair said:
I think it's kind of screwy how quite a few think if you play traditional, you're a better percussionist. I played matched and have dawdled with playing traditional. I think it's all a preference thing but I guess I'm just never destined to be great until I switch.....

Yes it is a preference thing or a use as needed thing IMO. I just think young and up-coming drummers should not be discouraged from even trying it.

In school (well 30+ years ago) you’ll play the snare with traditional grip (most likely) but you’ll play the Tympani with the French grip (thumbs up) That’s how they get that killer clean uniform Single stroke roll.

When I play Matched grip I really play my right hand in more of a French grip position (especially on cymbals) and my left hand is more in the German grip position (thumbs inward) most of the time.

IMO the French grip will allow your stick to move more freely than the German grip because with French your stick lays over top of your index finger and pivots easily (from the bottom) without much hand/finger pressure. Whereas with the German grip (with thumbs in) you need to grip it a bit tighter (more friction) in order to hold the stick in position (between the thumb and index finger tip) not allowing the freedom of the French grip. Plus I feel my last 3 fingers will help me out more with the French grip.

Here’s a clip of Dennis Chambers playing a bit with his left hand French (thumbs up)

http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/dennischambersclinic.html

Here’s a bit of Billy Ward playing with left hand French (thumb up) also

http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/billywardbigtime.html

Now the traditional left hand grip the stick will rest on the base of your index finger next to your thumb and pivots from the bottom of the stick much like the French grip allowing more free stick movement and less friction. So if you want speed less friction is better right? But you don’t always need speed so play the way that’s comfy for you but know and explore your options. I think that if your able switch your left hand to French and/or Traditional grip at will you’ll be better for it.

It would be cool to here what Billy or Dennis has to say about this topic.

Wow, this discussion is still going on. My opinion is not to say that one is better over the other. They both have different origins and different uses. I can play both and I practice both. I use both on my kit and I use both when just practicing on my pad. My advice is to not bash something until you try it. And I don't mean, play a few hours in that style and then say it sucks. Give it a good go (a few months) and try to learn it. Once you've learned a bit about it, how to use it and it's benefits versus downfalls, then you can say that you don't like it. Again, just my opinion.

Cheers.

Hi,
I've been playing drums for now 7 years. During 5 years I used to play match grip... So 2 years ago i decided to play traditionnal grip ( the true reason was that Steve gadd, Dave Weckl and many of my favorites drummers used to play that way...) After a few months i've realised thaht i could express more dynamics, and some aspects were easier to approach... for example i think It's easier to make a double-stroke roll using the traditionnal grip...
And for those who say this grip is for jazz players : did Vinnie Colaiuta not record the last Megadeth's album ? And take a look to Thomas Lang...

My only problem with traditional grip for drumset is that it looks so unnatural going around the set. Like when Weckl or Gadd are soloing, when they get to the right side of the kit, it looks like it takes so much more effort. It's not natural looking. Though I do think there is something appealing about watching the jazz greats use it.

One thing, even though I play both grips, that I've always found difficult about playing the kit traditional is hitting the cymbals. I just can't seem to get the same sound as matched grip out of the cymbals when playing traditional. Anyone have suggestions as to how to correct this? I'm currently back at the basics trying to strengthen my left hand and my control over it.

Cheers.

Here's a picture of John Bonham using traditional grip:

bonzo30.jpg

I'm almost certain this photo was taken the day of the 1970 [1970.06.28] Bath Festival in Shepton Mallet, England. This show, although the only audience recording is crap, is considered one of the greatest, if not the greatest show Led Zeppelin ever put on, debuting Immigrant Song for the first time.

I just noticed that white thing in his hand. It looks like he's holding his mallet backwards in his hand as well. Maybe the prelude to "Four Sticks"!?

Back