Casey Cooper (COOP3RDRUMM3R)

People here do respect you and your right to do what you do. However, you must also respect people's right to criticize what you do, and I dare say that whether the opinions are favourable to you or not, you are getting a much higher quality of criticism and discussion here than you would encounter on YouTube most of the time.

EDIT: As an adjunct to this, I'm just checking out some of your more recent videos and I have to say, credit where it's due, this one features some really excellent playing that you should be proud of.
And yet then there's this where I disagree profoundly with your interpretation. Where did the restraint and musicality go?

Hey, (Ben Maybe?)

I know I probably should have just let it go awhile ago, but it's not the criticism that bugs me. People deal with that all the time and I enjoy getting it because it drives me to want to get better and to prove people wrong.

BUT It's the apparent wish of certain people in this forum to maliciously attack my attitude (or others attitudes) that bugs me. The way they will sit out for 15 responses until they see something that I say (or perhaps that someone uses the incorrect word like endorsee, or someone decides to stick up for an opinion they have like Emma did) and then they jump in to attack and point out everything incorrect in what they said, but then I, or they reply with something logical that they have no attack for and so they just sit back and wait for something else to attack. I can't be the only one to notice this? Or is that just how the forum goes, people don't respond back and forth to each other, its only two ways when they feel they can chime in and sound "right" or "more knowledgeable?"

I'm not looking for a retraction, it'd just be nice to see that although we obviously will disagree on some things, that people understand that we may have different ways of going about it, but we all have the same general goal of getting better, getting opportunity and having a career in music. I don't know if you've read this whole thread or not, but it has seemed to be the general goal to prove that that's not my intention and I'm really thrown off as to why that is? lol

And anyway, I appreciate you checking out the videos, and I appreciate the kind words about my live playing. That is what I'm most proud of, and it's what the people on this thread have been attempting to prove... that I can't play live with other musicians just because I make YouTube videos.
and yes, the restraint and musicality changes when there isn't a need for it. In one situation I am playing live with musicians and need to fit the ensemble and provide drumming that works with the band and engages the audience.
In the other situation, I literally can do whatever I want and it's just me goofing off at home, having fun, messing around with the song. When I sit down to do a song with playing as iconic as Brad's, I'm not trying to make it better by changing it because there's nothing better than the original and it would be pointless to play it exactly the same as Brad did, because he already did it and people can just listen to the original track, so instead I just have fun messing around with a track that I love and people enjoy watching it (not those that are looking for the restraint and musicality, but those who enjoy the song and enjoy watching me jam out and have a blast playing).

I hope that helps clear that up. :)

Cooper

Re not changing people's minds: I had seen several of your videos before coming across this thread, and I shared a lot of the negative initial impressions that a lot people here have. Some regarding your playing (you can obviously play, but the over-playing bugged me), and others regarding what I assumed to be an arrogant attitude. So I want to thank you for showing up here to clarify some misconceptions.

Look, the whole YouTube Drummer phenomenon honestly doesn't make a lot of sense to me (even if I do occasionally enjoy scrolling through drum videos). But I don't get it because I didn't grow up with it. That doesn't make it worse or less than what I was doing when I was 22 (busting my ass in a band playing, traveling, getting gigs), it just makes it different. You're busting your ass too, just with a different goal in view. What turned me around is your admission that you are intentionally building a brand. That's never been my intention with music, and partly because I would suck at it, but you're obviously good at it and doing very well. Again, this is not wrong, just different.

So while it's not my thing, I honestly wish you the best. You're a good player and apparently a good business man. Not that my advice is worth much, but take the few helpful nuggets that were given to you here, log out and forget the rest. Keep doing what you do for the 330,000 people who do want it, and enjoy your time doing it.

But I don't get it because I didn't grow up with it.

Keep doing what you do for the 330,000 people who do want it, and enjoy your time doing it.
Again, for those who are new to this or maybe uninitiated: these kids (and adults) are buying their fan-base through bot networks.
Also, companies (drum companies, music, etc) use these same tactics. They can spam their endorsee's accounts with positive feedback and likes.

It's really no different than when you go to research a product on the 'net, and you are reading gleaming reviews of it - only to find out it is the company selling the product posting those reviews, not an actual customer. High-tech hoodwink.

Like PQleyR, I have viewed a number of your videos, and have to agree, your GSU live playing is very good, and really fits in well with the rest of the band, but some of your you tube covers are destroying the underlying song, imho, you might as well not be playing along to anything such is the degree you have modified the existing drum part.

Also, and this is just my opinion,stick tricks are cool, but you are overusing them to such an extent, they're no longer appreciated. (and to put my safety sam hat on, using a kitchen knife as a teaching aid for stick twirling, really?)

Also, one final question, having been reading up on endorsements, and how the whole process is evolving in recent years, how did the Pearl and Zildjian programs come to be?

I dislike the "look at me" tricks behind the kit - his stick twirling antics make it so I cannot watch a full video. As the drummer I AM the driver of the song - I don't need to honk my horn and flash my lights so everyone knows I am driving. If I could say anything to the young man it would be - Let your playing speak for itself and stop acting like a clown. Oh and get off my lawn!

EDIT: I see that the young man is here...

Nice playing kid - now stop with the stick twirling.

MM

I've got to agree with Ben regarding the two video examples.

In the first example, you have licence to play busily because it is a musical situation that warrants it. It is utterly in keeping with the music and the precedent that is set in that kind of music.

In the case of 'Bulls on Parade', the beauty of that particular piece is the simplicity of it. It's a heavy, deep groove on all of the instruments. It needs to be stripped back to come across as a powerful piece of music.

Some of the most profoundly moving pieces of music rely on incredible simplicity. I'm going to cite Shostakovich's 'Leningrad Symphony' here. From a percussion perspective, it's largely a single snare drum playing the same pattern for a number of minutes over a developing orchestral theme. This re-occurs several times as a theme throughout the different movements of the piece. It's a beautifully simple piece that ebbs and flows and holds a huge amount of emotional content. Playing more notes in that situation is utterly inappropriate and blurs the thematic message of the piece.

Here's the first example I can find of the piece:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDq6osIzESE

Check out the snare part from 7 minutes onwards until the end of the movement.

In 'Rock' music (or Popular music - whatever you want to call it) things are a little more nebulous and open to compositional changes. This doesn't mean that you have to profoundly change anything. If you decide to change anything, you should be clear why you are and that clarity often comes from an outsider's perspective. The real art of playing professionally with other people is about knowing when to hold back and respect the space of the other instruments (usually vocals) and when to take to the fore and let loose. It's the same 'ebb and flow' and 'tension and release' concept that occurs in Classical music.

If we take the example of 'Bulls on Parade' (a piece Ben knows very well, incidentally), it's a heavy, deep groove most of the time. That's because it's conveying a clear message in the vocal line. Your job there should be to support the vocal line. Towards the end of the piece is your 'release' moment with an extended fill on the drums. Playing too many notes early on ruins that building of tension and crowds the vocals, which muddies the clarity of the message.

Another message I want to get across is to listen to a wide variety of music and learn how it works. I'm not asking you to get a background in theory, just an appreciation of why note and part choices are made. If you want a real master at work, Beethoven's 9th is a great place to start. Tension and release, ebb, flow, quiet, loud and a beautiful and profound exultation - all made through a composer's decision to work well within a context of note density. Would Beethoven's 9th work if it was played at 11 the whole time? Absolutely not.

Not that my advice is worth much, but take the few helpful nuggets that were given to you here, log out and forget the rest. Keep doing what you do for the 330,000 people who do want it, and enjoy your time doing it.

I disagree, I think Casey should stick around.

Clearly he's having a good time doing what he does, and he seems to have YouTube dialed-in, which may be helpful for those who want to explore and promote their own channels.

But I think it's also important to be part of the drumming community in a more interactive way. We can learn from Casey as someone who's exploring and exploiting some of the newish tools available to those who are interested. I've been in this business a LONG time and have a nice career to show for it, but I've yet to make a video of myself, record my kit at home, or post anything on my YT channel. I'm sure I'm not the only one who could benefit from Casey's experience in that area. Likewise, he can learn from the collective experience here, and at only age 22, there are plenty of unknowns that lay ahead for him. Sometimes an answer or direction from those who've been there, done that, and are still doing it, is really helpful.

When I was 22, there wasn't a resource like this to gather info or ask advice from people at all levels, with the benefit of custom images, audio and video. It's a pretty great time to learn and grow... for all of us, not just the up & coming.

Bermuda

But I think it's also important to be part of the drumming community in a more interactive way.
Bermuda

I was hoping he would check out my video I posted and give feedback.( he may not have had time yet) also check out some other threads, maybe chime in on cymbal selection or pedals etc. maybe post some pics of his kit. also give some insight into the products he endorses and why maybe?

Clearly he's having a good time doing what he does, and he seems to have YouTube dialed-in, which may be helpful for those who want to explore and promote their own channels.

But I think it's also important to be part of the drumming community in a more interactive way. We can learn from Casey as someone who's exploring and exploiting some of the newish tools available to those who are interested. I've been in this business a LONG time and have a nice career to show for it, but I've yet to make a video of myself, record my kit at home, or post anything on my YT channel. I'm sure I'm not the only one who could benefit from Casey's experience in that area. Likewise, he can learn from the collective experience here, and at only age 22, there are plenty of unknowns that lay ahead for him. Sometimes an answer or direction from those who've been there, done that, and are still doing it, is really helpful.

When I was 22, there wasn't a resource like this to gather info or ask advice from people at all levels, with the benefit of custom images, audio and video. It's a pretty great time to learn and grow... for all of us, not just the up & coming.

Bermuda

+1
I agree. Casey stick around, you'll learn a lot. I definitely have.

+1
I agree. Casey stick around, you'll learn a lot. I definitely have.
+2, +3, etc??
Yes Mr Cooper should definitely stick around.
It would be a sad affair indeed if he had only joined this forum for the express purpose of defending his brand (although this thread has certainly increased his viewing numbers I'm sure).
How many questions does this forum receive every day re: recording drums/ youtube vids/ covers? I feel he would have a lot of insight to offer.

I have read most of this thread now. First multi-paged-thread I read almost entirely actually, haha.

I gotta say, this is a fairly funny thread to me. Anyhow, I was impressed by Casey's first response - very professional.
While reading more responses tho I felt like most of you I guess: Like he needs to excuse his playing because being busy..

Anyway - CASEY: Stick around and also share your opinions and whatsoever in other threads as well! Maybe even don't reply to this thread anymore (sometimes it's better to leave things...), just go and get used to the board, comment on peoples playing in the "My Playing" section and share your views on gear and of course: introduce yourself in the proper section!!

Anyway - CASEY: Stick around and also share your opinions and whatsoever in other threads as well! Maybe even don't reply to this thread anymore (sometimes it's better to leave things...), just go and get used to the board, comment on peoples playing in the "My Playing" section and share your views on gear and of course: introduce yourself in the proper section!!

Yes.

Casey stick around and offer insight in the Drum Gear section. I've seen your vid's about your gear. You know what you're talking about in terms of heads, sticks, audio, drums, and hardware. I saw your Pearl ePro stuff so you have to know something about electric drums. Help other people who don't know as much. You would be a great help to this community.

Casey....good on you for your motivation and skill in creating a well watched and known brand. I honestly find that very impressive and inspiring....I do not find your playing to be impressive or inspiring but you have demonstrated a skill for getting yourself known and monetizing what you do musically....hey that's impressive as far as I am concerned.

Just because I don't like your playing doesn't mean anything...eventually you will be a very strong player and you may have generated some useful contacts through your YouTube exploits. All the better.

We all know that YouTube is the narcissists sandbox.....look at me, look at me...look what I do, like me, follow me...it's dumb, but you are using it like a tool and I commend that, even if I think it's stupid.

Now...where does Mike Chimmy, who started this thread, weigh in? lol

I think that Casey is an amazing drummer and a genius when it comes to marketing. People are unfortunately picking small things and blowing them out of proportion. He is arguably a better drummer than the majority of people that I see on these forums (including myself), and is still modest about it. Unfortunately, people tend to feel better about themselves when they put someone else down (have my masters in Psychology) and that what many of the people in this thread are doing!

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but that opinion of theirs is only valid if it is backed by unbiased evidence and involves some sort of constructive advice if it is criticism.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but that opinion of theirs is only valid if it is backed by unbiased evidence and involves some sort of constructive advice if it is criticism.

Not exactly - an opinion is a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge. Opinions that are backed by unbiased evidence are called facts.

MM

I think that Casey is an amazing drummer and a genius when it comes to marketing. People are unfortunately picking small things and blowing them out of proportion. He is arguably a better drummer than the majority of people that I see on these forums (including myself), and is still modest about it. Unfortunately, people tend to feel better about themselves when they put someone else down (have my masters in Psychology) and that what many of the people in this thread are doing!

I think this guy is the most logical and calm guy on this thread right now.

+1

I think that Casey is an amazing drummer and a genius when it comes to marketing. People are unfortunately picking small things and blowing them out of proportion. He is arguably a better drummer than the majority of people that I see on these forums (including myself), and is still modest about it.

I don't know if Casey's a genius at marketing, but I'll admit he's light years ahead of me with the YouTube thing. Only time will tell to where that leads him. Also, Casey's a good drummer, but I wouldn't rank him as amazing. Once in a great while, a fan will say that I'm amazing, and I quickly correct them. Vinnie is amazing. Bozzio is amazing. Buddy was amazing. There are precious few drummers in that league.

As for picking out small things, that's what Casey can expect in the real world of professional musicianship. Perhaps it's a bit more concentrated here, but it's a taste of what goes on in live musical enounters at many levels.

Unfortunately, people tend to feel better about themselves when they put someone else down (have my masters in Psychology) and that what many of the people in this thread are doing!

I'm fine with "me" whether I criticize (or praise) someone else. No resentment, regrets, or insecurities here. Just want to make sure you weren't referring to me.

Well, when I said he wasn't staying on the click, that wasn't a matter of opinion... it was a matter of egregious flamming. And I think my advice was to work on that, and not post vids that aren't stellar.

As for the extra showmanship, that is an opinion, but it's based on what I see in the real world, which is that there are very few working drummers who express themselves that way from behind the kit. But, that's really a decision for whoever auditions Casey for a job, and Casey will learn the ins & outs as time goes on, just as we all (hopefully) did.

He's certainly got more people paying attention to him than I did when I was 22, and I gladly give him his propers for that.

Bermuda

I don't know if Casey's a genius at marketing, but I'll admit he's light years ahead of me with the YouTube thing. Only time will tell to where that leads him. Also, Casey's a good drummer, but I wouldn't rank him as amazing. Once in a great while, a fan will say that I'm amazing, and I quickly correct them. Vinnie is amazing. Bozzio is amazing. Buddy was amazing. There are precious few drummers in that league.

As for picking out small things, that's what Casey can expect in the real world of professional musicianship. Perhaps it's a bit more concentrated here, but it's a taste of what goes on in live musical enounters at many levels.

I'm fine with "me" whether I criticize (or praise) someone else. No resentment, regrets, or insecurities here. Just want to make sure you weren't referring to me.

Well, when I said he wasn't staying on the click, that wasn't a matter of opinion... it was a matter of egregious flamming. And I think my advice was to work on that, and not post vids that aren't stellar.

As for the extra showmanship, that is an opinion, but it's based on what I see in the real world, which is that there are very few working drummers who express themselves that way from behind the kit. But, that's really a decision for whoever auditions Casey for a job, and Casey will learn the ins & outs as time goes on, just as we all (hopefully) did.

He's certainly got more people paying attention to him than I did when I was 22, and I gladly give him his propers for that.

Bermuda

THAT is calm and logical.

Back