QUESTION: Drum Recording Studio

NickSchles

Hi everyone,

I apologise in advance if this has ever been covered here before, yet I couldn't find info.

I'm looking to start a recording studio specifically for drums - for myself to do remote sessions, and in the eventuality someone else would like to use the studio.

Essentially, I'd like some advice with regards to sound isolation (and treatment) and people's experience with this in their own (or rented) homes; whether a bedroom or garage.

I know it's a very general question. The main sticking point in all this is mobility... I'd like to be able to take this sound isolation to other places I might move into in the future.

Any thoughts would be welcome.

Thanks!

Nick x

I know it's a very general question. The main sticking point in all this is mobility... I'd like to be able to take this sound isolation to other places I might move into in the future.

Isolation, both keeping unwanted noise out of a studio and keeping drum noise from disturbing the neighbors, is usually a permanent fixture. Treatment, the removal of unwanted flat-surface reflections, is usually a matter of placing acoustic barriers and geometric baffles. For the later, some drapes can go a very long way.

For my basement setup, the hurdles have been more along the lines of:
Turn thermostat down so the boiler doesn't kick on in the middle of a take.
Put the mini-fridge on a switch so it doesn't kick on.
Mute my iMac/iPhone so the ping of texts don't make it into the recording.

Buy these two books:

"Keep the Peace!" by Mark Parsons, which was written with drummers in mind.

and

"Build it Like the Pros" by Rod Gervais, which much bigger and more detailed.

Read them both. Twice.

Hi both,

Thank you both for your replies.

KamaK, I understand the 'permanent fixture' element of sound isolation. I guess I'm not looking to FULLY stop noise out, as greatly reducing the noise out will be more than OK for these purposes, and as I live on a quiet street, noise in will pretty much 0, I would imagine. Obviously, I'm not an expert and don't want to sound arrogant - I'm just giving an experienced guess. I'm just currently exploring all alternatives, and your considerations are helpful.

Given that the place I live in is a rental, my 'room within a room' approach / thinking, is one I want to try and keep so that I can take it with me if I move, although maybe this is not the right frame of mind...? Thoughts?

DrumEatDrum, I will get these books and have a good read of 'em.

Nick x

Buy a small trailer or motor home.

Convert it to a recording studio. Load up the drums and drummer. Get a long long extension cord. Drive to a park and plug into power.

Also with this rig you can drive to your customer and record at or near the customer's place.

Back