help spotting deep pocket drumers in festival lineup

ottenm

Hello-

After years of serious neglect I'm finally getting out for a show! I don't know the acts from Adam, so I'm looking for any tips on drummers. Love the deep pockets. Current fave's are Steve Jordan and Benny Greb, but I grew up last century idolizing Moonie and Bonham. (I know Keith may have slipped off of the 'deep pocket' list somehow, possibly on horse tranquilizers.)

Anyhow, there's day-by-day lineup links right under where it says "LEVITATION 2016 LINEUP" http://levitation-austin.com/

I've got tickets for day #2, Saturday, April 30 (only). Taking my 3 teens.

Thanks for any tips. Sorry to be clueless!

Where is this festival? I have not heard of any of them. I am an oldster, but even on this forum I have never heard of one of those groups.

Agreed. Other than Brian Wilson, I've never heard of any of those bands. I guess the Internet is a really big place?

I haven't seen Sleep since Chris Hakus left, but if you are looking for a band with a great grooves check them out. They will play the same riff for 20 minutes, and its awesome! Cant speak for the new drummer, but the songs are great.

SUNN 0)))) is pretty much just a mind trip, there will be some grooves woven in with a lot of off time stuff that really has no specific rhythmic pattern. Its worth checking out if you just want to space out for a bit a get lost in the layers of the music.

I cant believe nobody here knows who Thurston Moore is. I'm disappointed in you Drummerworld.

Depends on what you mean by 'deep pocket'...is that technique or feel?

<<ducks the various objects slung at my head>>

Where is this festival? I have not heard of any of them. I am an oldster, but even on this forum I have never heard of one of those groups.

Agreed. Other than Brian Wilson, I've never heard of any of those bands. I guess the Internet is a really big place?

You guys never heard of Courtney Barnett? I have everything she has put out!!!!

And Ween and The Arcs (dude from the Black Keys) and Animal Collective.

Wow... This looks like one great show.

Back