Over ear or extreme isolation headphones?

Thecowslayer

Hey everyone,
I am looking for good over ear or in ear headphones that can also be used to play music. I have tried a lot of different things, including the Vic Firth Over ear headphones, which I don't feel give me enough sound protection, as well as the hearos, which are the same way. I'm looking at maybe getting some 1964 ears because I get a discount for playing at a church, so I was wondering if anyone has had experience with them. http://www.1964ears.com/products.html
I also want to find really good over ears which I still haven't yet, so any help with that would appreciated as well.

I have the Vic Firth and I don't have any problems with them. Not trying to sound rude, but are the cans 100% over your ears? I notice I hear my drums once in awhile and a slight adjustment fixes it.

http://www.amazon.com/3M-Peltor-Opt...TF8&qid=1385180385&sr=8-2&keywords=peltor+101 is another option and then just use whatever in-ears you want underneath. That model is recommended by Ronn Dunnett because it goes behind the head which is better for your hair :). Also, it has some foam on the inside, that when removed, apparently makes the sound signature pretty balanced.

As far as the 1964's go, they receive a lot of praise from Head-Fi forum members, go search around on there. CIEM's are pretty incredible pieces of technology, and when fit properly, can provide awesome isolation. Big cost difference though!

I think the vic firth ones isolate a bit too much if anything.

I have used the extreme isolation headphones at various recording sessions and I think they are a good balance but they don't isolate as well as the vic firth.

I bought some ultraphones... they are proper ear muffs for shooting and so they isolate VERY well and they have top of the line sony drivers installed.

If you don't mind spending the $$$ check them out.

Big plus on the Ultraphones, been loving mine for over 10 years live and in the studio.

Bermuda

I have been using Metrophones which I like because they fit nice and tight on my head while I'm drumming. Other headphones just won't stay on my head. Also, the Metrophones do a good job of blocking out outside noise. The sound quality is good, but not outstanding. They also have a built in metronome which can be used if you wish. If you don't want the metronome, you can buy the same headphones without it. They are called Studio Kans.

Thanks everyone for the quick responses, I'm definitely going to check out ultra phones, and some of the others recommended as well. As far as I can tell my vic firth ones were over my ears, maybe I just have large ears? :)

Back