Sorry - here's another look at my current tools

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
I streamlined my Pearl kit a bit and found this much easier to deal with. What I did was put the two floor toms where I like them, eliminate the 10" tom and put the 12" tom to my right of the snare. It was like letting my brain use the existing wires it normally uses, just that now the hi-hat is in this really comfy position which is more important to me since playing the hi-hat and grooving is about 90% of what I do. And the whole kit still fits in a 6' wide by 5' deep space.

I will work on a video over the next day or so so you guys can actually hear them. The heads are settling in and sounding better! Enjoy!

Attachments

• Pearl-FRONT-new-web.jpg
    Pearl-FRONT-new-web.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 706
  • Pearl-BACK-new-web.jpg
    Pearl-BACK-new-web.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 861
Look very nice! I like your remote hats....I'm going to look into that more.

Your setup looks tons of fun to play. I like Pearl hardware myself.

Now I'm REALLY likin' those ! Very cool.​

Bo, that is one classy looking kit. I look forward to hearing them.

nice. didn't know you switched to a pearl. i think it was 70's slingerland, 70's rogers, then new ludwig.....?

now, is it me, or are the lugs on the 12 tom different from the floor toms?

Bo, that is one classy looking kit. I look forward to hearing them.

Thanks. Be aware, it will eventually be a Reference Pure 8x12 tom in another month. A Studio Session Classic tom is filling in for now. Funny thing, if this ends up being the set-up all the time, I'll have two SSC toms (7x10 & 8x12) that won't be doing anything after May, so if anyone is interested.......

Although, I may add a SSC bass drum and floor tom to the mix collection....who knows?

nice. didn't know you switched to a pearl. i think it was 70's slingerland, 70's rogers, then new ludwig.....?

now, is it me, or are the lugs on the 12 tom different from the floor toms?

Yes it is. It's a Studio Session Classic tom filling in while I wait for my backordered 8x12 Reference Pure tom. The end of May can't come quickly enough ;)

That is a classy setup, there. You're gradually moving to an Orbinated setup :)

drumsposter.jpg

(photo is Travis Orbin's, not mine.)

I will work on a video over the next day or so so you guys can actually hear them. The heads are settling in and sounding better! Enjoy!
Great looking kit Bo!
On our session next week, we'll be doing our usual totally honest capture thing as usual, but (for the first time, much requested), we'll also be featuring a version with mild EQ & reverb. See if you can do the same. Offers a valuable & honest perspective on the drums :) We're tracking this in only two hours, so no big effort/production - just simple stuff.

That is a classy setup, there. You're gradually moving to an Orbinated setup :)

drumsposter.jpg

(photo is Travis Orbin's, not mine.)

I suppose so! Although I don't know who Travis Orbin is. Perhaps I should look him up? Anyway - just by having the rack tom where it is has changed alot of my "the usual" fills into new and different fills, or even no fills at all. It's not a big change, but I'm somewhat sparked up about it. I'm lovin' the tones out of the drums, they speak very well. And having an SSC tom thrown into the mix doesn't seem to throw anything off at all. In fact, as the Reference Pure toms get smaller from 12", they actually add birch to the shell to give it more bite (bigger than 12" and they start adding African mahogany). Well, the SSC tom is birch with kapur in the middle, so it's a birch tom already! I imagine when I get the Reference 8x12, it'll probably sound very close to the SSC tom I'm using now.

That actually looks comfortable to play....although backwards...

Bo - how do you lke the 'clear' batters? Do you use them on the resonant side as well?

My Purewoods came with G2 clear batters and g1's on the resonants. I love the huge open tones. I have since switched to Coated G2 batters.....just for a change....they sound good too, but I think I'm going to switch back to the Clear g2's.....again...for the 'huge' tone. IMHO of course.

You have a beautiful kit there as usual Bo.

Gary

Bo - how do you lke the 'clear' batters? Do you use them on the resonant side as well?

My Purewoods came with G2 clear batters and g1's on the resonants. I love the huge open tones. I have since switched to Coated G2 batters.....just for a change....they sound good too, but I think I'm going to switch back to the Clear g2's.....again...for the 'huge' tone. IMHO of course.

You have a beautiful kit there as usual Bo.

Gary

Pearl ships the Ref Pures with clear emps on top and clear ambs on the bottoms. The bass drum has PS3s front and back and they sound good. I'm used to the warmer tone of coated heads and may go to those when I change heads out but for now I think these heads were a good choice by Pearl. That's the nice thing with high-end drums - they come with good heads! The SSC drums came with those Remo-Chinese equivalents which I immediately changed out to match the Refs, and there was a noticeable improvement in tone!

I think the only thing I don't like about clear heads is that I tend to dent them up over time. Coated heads, because of the coating, don't dent as easily.

Interesting kit, Bo. It kinda looks like the offspring of a traditional kit mated with a Bill Bruford Earthworks V2 kit. I recall BB had his HH dead center.

How's the remote hat working for you?

Interesting kit, Bo. It kinda looks like the offspring of a traditional kit mated with a Bill Bruford Earthworks V2 kit. I recall BB had his HH dead center.

How's the remote hat working for you?

I really like it. So far it's reacting not to differently from my direct pull hat stands, so that's a good thing. It's taking some getting used to because I can still do full swings at the gear, but I'm not twisting my body in any one direction to do it. It's seems very ergonomically sound ;)

Love the configuration Bo, not that I'd ever be brave enough to follow suit and try it. While I generally prefer clear G2s on my tom batters, I went with G12 clears on my Ref Pures. I wanted to stay with the thin shelled theme, enhancing the shells' construction by going one ply, with added durability. I've found them to be the perfect fit. Congrats on the kit Bo. It's stunning.

Love the configuration Bo, not that I'd ever be brave enough to follow suit and try it. While I generally prefer clear G2s on my tom batters, I went with G12 clears on my Ref Pures. I wanted to stay with the thin shelled theme, enhancing the shells' construction by going one ply, with added durability. I've found them to be the perfect fit. Congrats on the kit Bo. It's stunning.

I may have to try that. Would the Remo Vintage Ambassador be about the same? It would be one ply but a little thicker than normal and not two ply like the Emperor. However, I have an entire stock of coated Emperors to use now since those are my favorite head (I keep a stock for spares with my Ludwig Classic Maples). But these emperors that came with the Pearls are sounding really good.

Kit looks classier every time I see it. Not sure a kit can look much better. Setups not for me but pretty much do the same thing when I get a new kit mess with the setup some last some don't.

Back