My first set of double pedals!

samth3mancgp

Hey everyone! This is my first post on this forum. I'm a guitar player, and recordist mostly, but I am getting started playing drums. I bought my drumset mostly for recording purposes. I intern at a studio in Tennessee and the studio has no in-house instruments to work with, and many times the drumsets that bands bring in are not ready to be recorded, so I have been working on putting together my "studio" kit. I may make another thread in the drum section with some questions about the kit that I bought (Mapleworks Custom).

Anyway, today I picked up some Tama Iron Cobra Powerglide double pedals for only $75!!

There is a bit of play/latency/give in the driveshaft for the left pedal, but the tension of the springs and the way the pedal sits naturally seems to keep the driveshaft tight. My friend warned me to check for latency in the driveshaft, but this seems to be minimal because the pedals are very very smooth. He uses DW 9000s with a demon drive driveshaft and the left pedal on these Iron Cobras seem to be pretty much as responsive as the 9000s. The kid I bought the Cobras off of plays metal and I watched him absolutely cruise on the cobras that I was buying, which makes me believe that if I'm having trouble, it definitely is my fault not the pedal!

If the driveshaft wears out more over the next several years how can I get it replaced? I can't seem to find many of them online..

Here's a pic!
Cobras.jpg

It will be years before you're able to do anything decent with that thing but I recommend replacing the shaft if there is play because you want it to respond directly to what the left footboard is doing. I still have my iron cobra 10+ years on, everything is fine but I did have to replace the shaft, and the replacement is showing wear again so I don't think they improved the design of it.

If you are able to use the zero latency demon drive shaft then you should.

my set of double pedals had just over 1" of play in the driveshaft when i finally binned them ha, tama have a full parts list& diagram :http://www.tamadrum.co.jp/world/parts/hardware/page/HP900PSWFSW.html im not sure how good the shipping will be but it gives you an idea :)
wvg

Damn dude! That's crazy how much they were messed up before you threw it out. Mine still feel very very smooth. The only time that I can feel the latency is if I stomp down on the left pedal and completely lift my foot of of it so it recoils back and then stomp again as it is moving backwards. But that is a ridiculous way to play normally and I can't feel it at all if I play normal and not stomp on them like a madman.

Thanks for that link! I may buy another Iron Cobra one, but couldn't I stick any kind on there? Don't all pedals use the same kind of connector for the driveshaft? I could get a different kind?

It will be years before you're able to do anything decent with that thing but I recommend replacing the shaft if there is play because you want it to respond directly to what the left footboard is doing. I still have my iron cobra 10+ years on, everything is fine but I did have to replace the shaft, and the replacement is showing wear again so I don't think they improved the design of it.

If you are able to use the zero latency demon drive shaft then you should.

The demon drive one would be nice, but that one belongs to my friend and I probably wouldn't be able to use it frequently. What is another durable and responsive drive shaft that I could get as a replacement down the road?

Back