Dave Grohl replaces Joey Castillo for the upcoming Queens of the Stone Age record

he has always sounded great with them ....I'm sure this time won't be any different

The previous album,Songs For The Deaf, with Dave was one of their best albums and had a lot of kick ass drumming that surprised a lot of people. Really looking forward to this.

Dave rules, no doubt, but I liked Joey with Queens.
He was a real cool guy to talk to also. One of my bands did a show with Eagles of Death Metal a couple years ago. He's a killer drummer.

I think it's crap. As much as I like Dave's drumming, and fully admit "songs for" was a great album, I like the way Joey plays better. It's more inventive, less show-offy and I think it plays better to QOTSA's general vibe and feel. I love a drummer that doesn't feel the need to "go nuts", and that's not Dave.

I guess I just think that Dave's playing was too much of an influence on the music and it came out sounding like something other than queens. They should just call it a different project. I think that would be less insulting to Joe as well. Those two are at a level where neither one is better than the other, and it's more about personal styles and ideas.

I think it's crap. As much as I like Dave's drumming, and fully admit "songs for" was a great album, I like the way Joey plays better. It's more inventive, less show-offy and I think it plays better to QOTSA's general vibe and feel. I love a drummer that doesn't feel the need to "go nuts", and that's not Dave.

I guess I just think that Dave's playing was too much of an influence on the music and it came out sounding like something other than queens. They should just call it a different project. I think that would be less insulting to Joe as well. Those two are at a level where neither one is better than the other, and it's more about personal styles and ideas.

I agree with 100% of this. As much as I love and respect Dave Grohl, I think Joey fits the bill better. It's a shame that he didn't feel that he could keep touring. Nevertheless, I'm really excited for the new record. I just hope it doesn't turn into the Dave Grohl Show.

I hope it was Joey's choice and he didn't just leave because Josh told him he was being replaced for another album and tour. And don't forget, in the aftermath, Joe had to play a lot of songs wherein he had to sound like Dave Grohl or risk disappointment. As I said, those two have very different styles, so that can't be easy.

I never really got that- none of the drum sounds on any of the Queens records sounded that great to me. I can understand from a perspective of being able to mix everything separately and getting more options to mix, but it seems like a really unnatural process for the kind of results they achieved IMO. Why go that far for something that sounds compressed as hell?

This article is writen in reaction to the news but shows that the replacement was probably Joeys choice. Dude is 46 years and think the music doesnt allow him to hold back ever.
http://www.musicradar.com/news/drum...s-with-qotsa-and-eagles-of-death-metal-566667

Also found this article on his setup through this news. Really sweet for the gearheads like me and the site has those on alot of setups from populair drummers.
http://www.musicradar.com/news/drum...he-stone-age-drum-setup-in-pictures-499402#!1

This article is writen in reaction to the news but shows that the replacement was probably Joeys choice. Dude is 46 years and think the music doesnt allow him to hold back ever.
http://www.musicradar.com/news/drum...s-with-qotsa-and-eagles-of-death-metal-566667

Also found this article on his setup through this news. Really sweet for the gearheads like me and the site has those on alot of setups from populair drummers.
http://www.musicradar.com/news/drum...he-stone-age-drum-setup-in-pictures-499402#!1

Yeah, I read those excerpts in the Rhythm magazine he was featured in awhile back. You could tell the non-stop touring was wearing him down, which kinda sucks, but like you said, he's 46 years old. The guy needs some downtime.

I'm looking forward to it, but I'm a Grohl fan. I think Joey simply needed break and Josh knew this was great opportunity to play with Dave again. Plus Dave always pushes himself with every thing he drums on. he's got his new DW endorsement and his new signature sticks and is ready, I know it will be good. It might change the sound a little but I think that's the plan. It's always good to change it up a little.

46? How dare he? Why isn't he in a care home for infirm drummers?

Seriously, I'm 46, probably much less fit than Joey and I would and could play a 3 hr set every night of the year.

I'm sure it's much more sinister than that..... MUHAHAHAHAHA!

46? How dare he? Why isn't he in a care home for infirm drummers?

Seriously, I'm 46, probably much less fit than Joey and I would and could play a 3 hr set every night of the year.

I'm sure it's much more sinister than that..... MUHAHAHAHAHA!

Joey just has a beastly way of playing that takes it out of you just watching him and that is one of the reasons I love him. Think him playing the fairly easy Eagles of Death Metal songs and just adding some much energy shows it. It hasn't got alot to do with drumming but its a level I can barely reach as a 25year old.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SrE63y0fMw

Actually wanted to reply to the news that Jon Theodore is the new touring (also played abit on the record) drummer for Queens. It seems he's alot more respective of the original drum parts and plays Songs for the Deaf stuff like Grohl, which is always the thing I hear from drummers that was wrong with Castillo.
Link to the one new song they played: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izTIcnTquIU

Funny how we all like the "what is QOTSA" and I think it's based on the drummer we first heard them with or the one we heard with them with the most. I was at the first QOTSA show when Matt Cameron was the drummer. That was pretty off the hook, IMO, and kinda set the bar in my mind. I didn't care for much of their catalog until Songs For The Deaf when Grohl gave them the spark I thought they had been missing.

I'm looking forward to hearing the new stuff with Grohl, though Jon Theodore is pretty amazing, too. I doubt he'll be unleashed the way he was with TMV he's quite a capable guy with great feel.

As much as I love Joey Castillo's drumming, I kinda like the change. I really dislike the last 2 albums, and I'm hoping with Dave back they'll have new inspiration. Although if John Theodore is touring, now I have to see them again.

Fun fact: someone made a great recording of the show and you can see me in the crowd! If anyone's interested, I'm the guy near the right. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqHY9vi6UYA

I just hope it sounds like queens and not the dave grohl show. I felt that songs for the deaf was good music, but it just didn't really say "qotsa" to me. You almost never hear Joey go all ape with huge fills like dave does, and even though dave's stuff is really great, I liked the inventiveness of Joey's stuff better for that band.

Crooked vultures are great though.... It sounds like something new, and amazing. If Josh wasn't singing, I wouldn't know who it was, but I'd like it.

thought i'd drop this on here; Jon Theodore is both on the new Queens album as well as their touring drummer right now. While i'm not really a huge queens fan, i will be more than happy to check out the new album now that i know theodore's on it. I think he will most definitely bring something new and amazing to the table. In my opinion, Mars Volta hasn't been the same since he left.

Back