What is melodic soloing?

This is exactly what I was thinking about. I really like Ari and Jeff Hamilton's ability to literally play the melody, but I agree with Doc here. Another great melodic player is Kendrick Scott. His album "The Source" has some superb melodic drumming in terms of the arrangements. He's a beast when it comes to chops as well, but so much of his playing on that album has to do with the music. It's hard to believe he's the bandleader.

Yeah Greg,

Totally agree. I think that the melodic approach that you/dr. watso/todd are talking about is by far the most widely adopted/useful one.

That being said, I do think that there are real musical benefits that come from trying to play an actual melody. The main two I can think of are getting closer to the melody and grabbing an audience's attention. I discuss this in greater length on the blog post, check it out and let me know what you think.

http://haredrums.blogspot.com/2012/01/me-playing-melody-ive-got-rhythm.html

Last edited:
Hey guys. Here is my attempt of a melodic solo. Let me know what you think. (also if you like it, I'd love if you could click 5 stars at the bottom right. It's for a drumming competition.)
Cheers,
- Shane

http://belleetbum.telequebec.tv/afondlacaisse/visionner-et-voter/87?startPlayback=1

not sure thats exactly the type melodic soloing that Andrew was speaking of but is a fantastic display of drumming none the less

great stuff Shane

I'd like to see more of your playing

Check out any of my youtube videos. Melodic soloing is what I do. Also playing harmonically between toms, octaves, bass lines below the melody in a drum solo...
Even when I'm just fooling around I think in terms of counterpoint, call/response, and composition. That is what we are supposed to be doing as musicians.

Check out any of my youtube videos. Melodic soloing is what I do. Also playing harmonically between toms, octaves, bass lines below the melody in a drum solo...
Even when I'm just fooling around I think in terms of counterpoint, call/response, and composition. That is what we are supposed to be doing as musicians.

very interesting stuff

Yeah Jim,

Great stuff, you really seemed to have developed a lot of your own vocabulary! Very cool.

Just out of curiosity have you tried doing some of your stuff on a "standard" kit? I would be interested to see how you would apply some of this stuff.

Thanks for the kind words! None of the vocabulary is mine, it's all from old music theory classes.
Playing a 4 or 5 piece, I tend to revert back to what I use to do before I started this, emphasis on grooves, fills and rudiments. It feels sort of like giving a piano player a little toy piano with 4 or 5 notes on it and asking him or her to play something,
If I had to give a melodic demonstration on a 4 piece I would play slow, experiment with pitch change and hunt for possible counterpoint everywhere. You can also imagine a four piece set with ride and a crash as an octave, counting the bass and hihat as the 7th and 8th piece and think in those terms as you create.

Hey Todd,

I just put up a blog post with a video of me playing a melody, and I used this conversation in it (I hope you don't mind!).

I finally have a recorder with decent sound, so now you guys can hear what I have in mind.

http://haredrums.blogspot.com/2012/01/me-playing-melody-ive-got-rhythm.html

Nice. I like the post with the interview with elvin jones. First giving the basic feel then letting it rip. As a wee lad long ago and far away, my teacher would have me *sing* with what I was playing. It turns out to be harder than one might think.

Nice. I like the post with the interview with elvin jones. First giving the basic feel then letting it rip. As a wee lad long ago and far away, my teacher would have me *sing* with what I was playing. It turns out to be harder than one might think.

Absolutely,

I think that vocalizing is some of the best training that there is for drummers. That is a great point.

Back