Trad vs. Matched grip, Thomas Lang

Interesting PFOG. Mostly agree. All those great players churning it out with either grip ... the proof of the pudding is in the eating.

From my uninformed perspective, it looks like Joe M and Jim C are turning their wrist more with the stroke, which would reduce the pressure on the thumb. However, they're playing on bouncy pads and Thomas is working hi hat and snare.

It would be good to see him doing those exercises on the pad for a more definite comparison.

8Mile said:
Virgil Donati is another who seems to really have a firm grip on the sticks, but I've never heard any talk of him having problems.
Virgil came to my mind too when reading this. Not only does he have a firm grip using
all wrst, but he's one of the most powerful and fast drummers I know ever.

Wonder if he does have any problems with it. I know that he devoted his whole lifestyle
to the art, he runs, does yoga, eats well etc. Maybe he is just much more responsible to his
body than most of his fellow craftsmen?

I think Langs sticks also played a major part in his condition. I purchased a pair of his signature sticks before and in my opinion they are the thickest, heaviest and uncomfortable sticks ever...

I think Langs sticks also played a major part in his condition. I purchased a pair of his signature sticks before and in my opinion they are the thickest, heaviest and uncomfortable sticks ever...
I wanted to menthion his sticks also... I've been using them for almost 1.5 years now (=from the moment I started drumming). They've been recommended to me for more workout/when practicing a lot on the pad. Thick and heavy? Yes. Uncomfortable? Now this really depends. It took me months to get fully used to those sticks and from some moment on they felt perfect, with superb control (more forgiving than many other sticks - that's due to their mass). But recently I tried some more 'normal' sticks and I'm like practicing in turbo mode - the TL signature sticks are so much heavier they let almost any other stick feel like butter in comparison.

Playing with heavy sticks for years might indeed have some impact on one's hands or lead to extra strain, even on Lang's impressive physique. So his new signature sticks can be expected to have less mass, for less strain on the hands. That article on Lang's surgery made me even more aware of sticks/grips. I'll keep using his sticks for variation but have switched to much lighter sticks as my main sticks.

In fact there are thicker and heavier sticks out there. I have some. I got those to let the TL sig sticks appear light after practicing with those even heavier sticks for a few minutes. (Those sticks were the heaviest I could find at my music store.)

He was starting to develop carpel in BOTH hands, but the right hand (the one held as in a matched grip) was so much worse it required surgery.

The implication is that if he had used a matched grip his entire career, he would have required surgery on BOTH hands instead of just the right.

I hate to state the obvious, but doesn't this imply a traditional grip has fewer problems associated with it?

I'm sure he's going to a matched grip to break the repetitive rut his hands have been in (and after all, repetitive movements are the root cause of carpel), because he could feel trouble coming on in his left hand. But, that's not really any type of change for his right hand (which has already developed serious problems).

If he really wants to change things up, it would seem that he should retain a traditional grip and start playing left handed.

In any case, I don't see anyone could come away with a negative view of traditional grip from this article.

I don't want to disrespect anybody here but, this seems like another pointless 'which is better, trad or matched'? thread.

No-one will really know where his carpel tunnel syndrome, he looks like he works out. could be that?
He has kids and he probably jumps around, throwing them around too. Daft little things can contribute. Especially sitting at a pc for extended periods programming music which he does.

Whether you think it's his new geip that did it or his old, he has a better idea than any of us what caused it so, if he thinks it that then he's probably right. We can't feel what he's feeling so it's a pointless debate.

Hope he gets better fast and these stories scare the life out of me. If guys like this come a cropper...

Don't blame the grip. Blame the gripper.

thanks for that. I suspected I have it because I push a mouse all day - I draw on the computer. But I now realize it's the 7000kms of riding a bike on some of the worst roads in North America - in and around Montreal.

This line jumped out at me "gripping and vibration - it''s that combination. A lot of bikers, who ride motorcycles frequently, get carpal tunnel."
But for me it might be worst, a 1in bicycle tire on a stiff frame w/no suspension.

However my wrist never feels bad even after 3-4 hours of playing drums. It's almost like my wrist has had a message.

I too am I cyclist for years. Pushed and still pushing many miles on the road, cyclocrossing, and moutain biking at 60yrs of age. No carpal yet. Only been playing drums for a couple of years. but like you, it's like a message'. No issues.

The Fonz Anthony? Sorry, somebody had to give you crap for that lol.

Also, everybody's carpal tunnels are not the same diameter, everybody's tendons have different thickness I'm sure, maybe some people naturally have plenty of room in their tunnel and some are born with tighter tunnels.....plus diet, and hey playing tight can't help....You can't pin it on any one thing though, grip included. Things conspire together in both good and bad ways, and everybody is built a little different with varying variables. Case by case basis.

And the article has nothing whatsoever do with the stated thread premise. But that's OK, good discussion as a result.

HEY!

The Fonz Anthony? Sorry, somebody had to give you crap for that lol.

Also, everybody's carpal tunnels are not the same diameter, everybody's tendons have different thickness I'm sure, maybe some people naturally have plenty of room in their tunnel and some are born with tighter tunnels.....plus diet, and hey playing tight can't help....You can't pin it on any one thing though, grip included. Things conspire together in both good and bad ways, and everybody is built a little different with varying variables. Case by case basis.

And the article has nothing whatsoever do with the stated thread premise. But that's OK, good discussion as a result.

HEY!

yup.......Arthur Fonzarelli himslef Larry
:)

Love how ya own it man. U rock.

Hmmm, it seems like an advertorial. One might argue that matched grip makes your left hand a target for serious injury. Let it not be overlooked how it hurts when you accidentally strike the side of your snare with your left hand left finger at full strength. This happening tot me from time to time was a very solid reason for me to switch to traditional grip.

Back