Help : Warped snare drum

JesusMySavior

Silver Member
My Yamaha Musashi 6.5x13 Oak Snare has warped slightly on the top and the head began pulling away from the edge. I thought it was the head and it got really bad so i took it off.

The drum is not a perfect circle, it is slightly vertical towards the top, so it takes on more of an ovalish (not as extreme as an oval, mind you) shape.

I tried heating up both the drum and the metal ring on my furnace so I could perhaps mold it back and it helped a small bit, but it's still there.

Any ideas? Thanks!

It's probably seen the best of its days. You can't really reshape a wooden snare, the heat just dries the wood out and makes it susceptible to falling apart, basically. I'd save up for a new snare, usually once it's warped the sound is totalled anyway.

It is almost impossible to take a drum that is out of round and make it round again. Take Sabian92s advice and save up for a new one.

I had a Rogers kit and the 8x12 went out of round. It was so out of round that had to use a mallet to get the heads on it. I took it to Pro Drum Shop in Hollywood and DRum Doctors in Glendale. Both said to give up on the idea of making it round again.

i had a BD out by about an inch. i bought 2 lengths of all-thread and put them through the lug holes of the "wide" part of the oval. then, i took washers and wingnuts and slowly tightened, measuring the whole time, making sure to even it up all the way around. when i was done, it measured the same at each lug. i left it that way for a month or two. now, it's fine.

i had a BD out by about an inch. i bought 2 lengths of all-thread and put them through the lug holes of the "wide" part of the oval. then, i took washers and wingnuts and slowly tightened, measuring the whole time, making sure to even it up all the way around. when i was done, it measured the same at each lug. i left it that way for a month or two. now, it's fine.

But they said you couldn't get an out of drum round again! Great job, that's the way to use your head.

cdawg and larry are right. The threaded rod technique will fix the drum. I have also done this with a drum that was in a damp basement on its side for years. I fixed it for a friend who stored it poorly and thought that it was ruined.

Can you, or someone, either explain in greater detail or maybe even post photos/illustrations of this?

Can you, or someone, either explain in greater detail or maybe even post photos/illustrations of this?
There is a thread here somewhere showing pics. Buy two 1/4 inch threaded rods from a hardware store that are longer than the diameter of the drum. Buy 4 nuts and washers to fit the rods.
1) Remove the heads and lugs from the drum. Measure the diameter of the drum and find the widest point and mark the lug holes at that point with a grease pencil.
2) Insert threaded rods through the lug holes at the widest point of the drum. Let the rods stick out on each end across the diameter of the drum. Do this on the top and bottom of the drum.
3) Place washers and nuts on each end of the rods.
4) Torque the nuts until you hear the drum start to stress. STOP!
5) Add torque to the rods every couple of days until the drum measures true.
6) Losen the nuts and make sure that the drum remains the same diameter when measuring at different points around the drum without being torqued by the rods.
7) If the drum needs more un-warping, Repeat the process until the drum stays true.
Congrats! You saved a warped drum from the fireplace!

Last edited:
It is odd for a new drum to go out of round. Perhaps I read your post wrong. Will a head go on the drum? If so, how does it sound?

In my eyes, a drum is out of round if a head won't go on and it sounds bad.

Don't heat it up, for sure.

Best of luck.

I'm vigorously clapping my hands over here!

I have a Supra that I picked up used that looks like it's been dropped because it has a flat spot. I've been trying to think of a way to get it back in round and I think you just solved it for me (although I'll be pushing from the inside). Since it's aluminum, I'll be able to get it done in an afternoon once I get all the parts together. Thanks a million!

Wonder if it would be beneficial to steam it some or even soaking it so the wood softens before you start torquing on it.

Wonder if it would be beneficial to steam it some or even soaking it so the wood softens before you start torquing on it.
I wouldn't wet or steam the drum. You won't be able to wet of steam it evenly and it could cause more problems.
The threaded rod process works well on its own.

Hey JesusMySavior

I've found the shower method to work well and relatively quikly.

When you shower put your drums in the washroom and take the heads off and let them sit till your done.
As soon as your out of the shower put the heads on decently tight but with even tension (of course) and let it sit for the day.
Do this for 3 or 4 days and let it sit for a week. Within 2 weeks you'll have a round drum.

Me and a couple of drum buddies of mine have done this for some vintage gear and it works like a charm!

God Bless,

Kyron

That's what I had in mind put the drum in the bathroom in the mornings while showering to bring the humidity up. I think it couldn't hurt to try and soften up the wood cells a little. I also thought take a rubber maid plastic container and put a humidifier in it with the drum for a good hour or so just monitor the heat so it doesn't get hot.

Back