DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 12-07-2012, 04:23 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Music that contains no drums

Back on topic: This is some of the most amazing music I have ever heard. There is no drumming of any kind and came from a culture that was barely aware of drums at all. There isn't even a wide variety of instruments, but it makes me shudder just to hear it.

I have been listening to this album for 20 years, only during Christmas. I generally dislike the cornyness of Christmas music but this music connects me to the holiday like no other music can.

http://www.allmusic.com/album/the-is...2-mw0001940636
Old 12-07-2012, 04:29 AM
Bandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post
Back on topic: This is some of the most amazing music I have ever heard. There is no drumming of any kind and came from a culture that was barely aware of drums at all. There isn't even a wide variety of instruments, but it makes me shudder just to hear it.

I have been listening to this album for 20 years, only during Christmas. I generally dislike the cornyness of Christmas music but this music connects me to the holiday like no other music can.

http://www.allmusic.com/album/the-is...2-mw0001940636
You could turn that into some great symphonic metal! :)
Old 12-07-2012, 04:33 AM
Platinum Member

Robert Johnson didn't have any drums.
Old 12-07-2012, 04:40 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit View Post
You could turn that into some great symphonic metal! :)
Whoa, trippy. I can see that.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:22 AM
Gold Member

I listen to an English Roots band called Show of Hands who don't tend to use drums in their music.

I really enjoy them, but am always quick to wind my better half up by telling her they would be 1000 times better with a good drummer :-)

My idea of hell though is to listen to a lone guy playing a guitar and singing...it bores me senseless so in that regard I have a little bit of sympathy with the OP. I admire their skill, and accept that some guys are truly gifted, but it just doesn't get my saliva flowing.
Old 12-08-2012, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post
You're right, that is extremely closed-minded, but not many people will admit to it. But how do you handle pop music from the 1950s and 1960s? The drums are technically there, but the style was to turn them so far down in the mix they were just about inaudible.
I guess you do not listen to much music from the 50's or 60's cause there is a LOT of killer drumming to be heard. Check out The 5th Dimension's Magic Garden album or the song Up Up and Away. Hal Blaine rules!
Old 12-08-2012, 02:52 PM
Platinum Member

I enjoy music without drums. I don't think Larry statement is close-minded, those are his tastes and that's ok. That being said, I think music can be extremely intense even without percussion. I find stuff like this -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNuUKxzZNcw to be completely amazing and very emotionally intense.
Old 12-09-2012, 11:25 AM
Platinum Member

To each their own. I don't think Larry's view is close minded. Any more or less than me not desiring or enjoying music with drums that many of you listen to. It's all preference and that's why so much is available.

I happen to love a lot of music with no drums. There are listening spells that l actually listen to more of that material than music with drums. I'll even take it one step further and dare to say on some music, where there is a drummer, I really don't listen to their playing in detail. I listen to the music happening around them instead.
Old 12-09-2012, 05:35 PM

QUOTE=Deathmetalconga;1079992]You're right, that is extremely closed-minded, but not many people will admit to it. But how do you handle pop music from the 1950s and 1960s? The drums are technically there, but the style was to turn them so far down in the mix they were just about inaudible.

Most of the music ever made has no Western trap set.[/quote]

Just an opinion, but I especially agree with Larry when it comes to pop and rock. Drums, are absolutely necessary to get me going. Now music without an understandable rythmn, that's what I find annoying. I don't know how anyone could call percussion from the music of the 60's inaudible ???
I'm a drummer today because of the music and the beat of the 60's. Remember...Phil Specter's wall of sound, the Ronnettes and "Be My Baby" or the start of the Four Seasons "Walk Like a Man", "Glad all Over", "Bit's and Pieces", Twist and Shout? The Theme to Hawaii Five-O...Wow could I go on, because this is what I love. The drums are there or the music is dead without them.
Old 12-09-2012, 05:49 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numberless View Post
I enjoy music without drums. I don't think Larry statement is close-minded, those are his tastes and that's ok. That being said, I think music can be extremely intense even without percussion. I find stuff like this -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNuUKxzZNcw to be completely amazing and very emotionally intense.
I gave this a listen, and this illustrates perfectly my feeling on music without drums. This makes me wonder if something is wrong with me...this piece moves you. This piece doesn't move me. To me it might work as a background to a movie of someone flying over a mountain vista. It's a movie soundtrack to me, one that's not complete without some kind of visual to accompany it. It doesn't stand on it's own as purely listening material, from my perspective. Not knocking you whatsoever, please don't take it like that. It's the perfect vehicle to illustrate my point though. It's a sound picture, not music to me, even though it it's most definitely music. I just can't see myself wanting to listen to this on my own free will, it doesn't tick my boxes so to speak. Thanks for sharing this.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:19 PM
Senior Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
I gave this a listen, and this illustrates perfectly my feeling on music without drums. This makes me wonder if something is wrong with me...this piece moves you. This piece doesn't move me. To me it might work as a background to a movie of someone flying over a mountain vista. It's a movie soundtrack to me, one that's not complete without some kind of visual to accompany it. It doesn't stand on it's own as purely listening material, from my perspective. Not knocking you whatsoever, please don't take it like that. It's the perfect vehicle to illustrate my point though. It's a sound picture, not music to me, even though it it's most definitely music. I just can't see myself wanting to listen to this on my own free will, it doesn't tick my boxes so to speak. Thanks for sharing this.
How about this:
http://youtu.be/aMD3G_8HfMM

j
Old 12-09-2012, 08:22 PM
Anthony Amodeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cikko View Post
[link deleted by mod/Arky, user has been banned]
DRUMLESS TRACKS FOR DRUMMERS
bro ...you need to stop

seriously

spam king

Last edited by Arky; 12-09-2012 at 10:57 PM.