DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 12-05-2012, 06:08 AM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

Default What we learn here

I think we tend to take forums like this for granted. I mean, they're here, and free to use, and we get to chat and show photos and post links to our work. In fact, anyone under 20 or 25 wouldn't remember a time when drummers, or anyone for that matter, didn't have a place like this where they could source info and chat with other like-minded people from around the world, with various levels of experience and achievement. This just didn't exist 20+ years ago. If there were weekly drum meetings going on somewhere, I sure didn't know about them! (Well, there was the Woodland Hills Drum Club way back when...)

The particular value for me is that the eyes and ears of thousands of members see and hear far more than I could ever discover on my own. I delight in hearing about new drummers, new bands, and new gear, and being able to explore things that I never would have stumbled upon by myself. As a result, I've learned and grown as a player.

So, what kinds of things have you learned in forums that have helped with your drumming, your gear, or your gigging or music career?

BTW, it's also a good time to thank Bernhard for providing such an amazing site. Let's not forget that Drummerworld encompasses much more than just this forum.

Bermuda
Old 12-05-2012, 06:14 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: What we learn here

This site helps broaden knowledge of products and you can hear what to buy or what not to buy. It is also nice seeing what people have and what is new in drumming, I also love seeing some of the custom builders(like guru) putting out new stuff.
Old 12-05-2012, 06:36 AM
Silver Member

Agreed, Bernhard is the best!

I my case probably 20 minutes of "free entertainment" per day.

thx

jorn

BTW I think Drummerworld gets paid every time somebody clicks on one of the advertisments.
We should all keep that in mind and help with the occational click.
Old 12-05-2012, 06:49 AM
"Uncle Larry"

The place is a gold mine. This place has helped me enormously in allowing me to explore my closely held, tunnel visioned attitudes about drumming, in a place where it can be evaluated by people all over the world, and it has most definitely shaped and expanded my musical focus. I've said it before that Bernhard is just as influential to the drumming world as William Ludwig, Tony Williams, and a thousand others, if not more so.

I am planning a trip to London next October for the LDS...that just would not have happened without DW. Sure I've always wanted to go there anyway, I've never been overseas before, but now that I can get to meet Andy, Duncan, Henri, and who knows who else...well that just provides the motivation I need.

DW has definitely changed me as a drummer for the better, night and day. A common testimony I'll bet too. Before I was just a lone drummer, in my own head. Now I am part of a global community. It's just huge, the difference.

We should declare the first day this site went online as a sort of internal celebration day here. Uh, what month and day would that be? Anyone?
Old 12-05-2012, 07:56 AM

I'm one of the new kids on the block and can't tell you how helpful these forums have been to me in my development as a drummer. I feel able to ask any question without being shot down for its simplicity and can get helpful advice from many. I for one am glad to have found my way here and plan on hanging around for the long haul.

merci

russell
Old 12-05-2012, 08:01 AM

I have just been a member for a short time and its already a daily read !! So thank you to Bernhard and the other site admin and "owners" as well as Bermuda and other mods.

I have been admin / mod on other boards and its a never ending task keeping an eye on things and keeping things running..... so I agree a DW birthday that Larry proposed is well in order !!

I am not able to single out any one lesson I have learned here ( apart from dont chuck a wobbly on stage hehe)...im not a linear thinker in general, but each thread I read adds a little bit to the overall picture in my mind, and oddly and imperceptably my drumming has improved without conciously practicing anything ive seen here.

Its great to know the things I struggle with others have the same issues...regardless of experience ( Larry and your click sticks comes to mind) I also feel relieved I am not alone in a sea of death metal , fast as you can, double pedal drumming. There is a nice balance of styles and nuance !!

I very much appreciate the humour here and the way highly experienced drummers welcome noobs like me. Even the stoushes are fun ( that may be the Australian in me) and seem to be mostly settled "agreeably" ( as long as you dont "dis" Ringo !!)

So a big thank you from far far away Perth !!
Old 12-05-2012, 08:25 AM
Platinum Member

I spend at least 1/2 hour a day at this place. Reading new and old posts.
I learn so much, laugh so much.... Its totally changed my approach to drumming, what I listen for, listen to, and the equipment I buy or want to buy. A total bonanza thanks to all of you.
Old 12-05-2012, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
We should declare the first day this site went online as a sort of internal celebration day here. Uh, what month and day would that be? Anyone?
The very first member (original admin I believe) signed in on June 17, 2005. Bernhard joined on 6/21, and on 6/24 other members (including admins Dog Breath and Nutha Jason) started signing up. So it's probably fair to call June 24, 2005 the beginning.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:34 AM
Platinum Member

You have a great website here, Bernhard. I've really enjoyed coming here this past year or so. It has opened my eyes to the world of drumming and the direction I need to take my own personal journey as a drummer. I've been in my own little drumming world for so long that it isn't funny. I've never had a chance to exchange ideas and stories with other drummers. Like I said in another thread, this place has been nothing but a positive force in my life. Thanks and Cheers!
Old 12-05-2012, 11:52 AM
Silver Member

First, thank you Bernhard and all the great people behind the scenes. Especially you, Bermuda. Your attention and the amount of care you put into this place doesn't go unnoticed.

I love this place. There's a huge amount of ideas on virtually every topic related to drums, and I often can find the answers I'm looking for here. There's also lots of inspiration to be had here, in pictures and in text. The community is outstanding, and one of the best [if not the best] online community I've ever been a member of.

I spend my morning coffee on this site. Each morning feels like checking in with pals and talking shop. It reminds me of when I was a kid, and all I wanted to do was go down to the music store, look at all the great stuff, and listen to the guys behind the counter talk about music. In a way, the DW forum is like hanging out at a music store, talking drums all day. I love that.
Old 12-05-2012, 12:20 PM
Renegade

Lots - occasionally something that's useful :) Often interesting and fun too. Anything drum related I need to know - someone here will know it inside out.

Haven't seen Bernhard around for a while - busy busy, I guess.

DW is a great resource on the top drummers - the picture collections in the bios are great. Vids too: http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/b...nippynoya.html
Old 12-05-2012, 01:04 PM
Platinum Member

Some / many of us have voiced our thoughts on this very topic on other threads throughout the year.

DW was my first forum joined. Before this place, I was a member several years ago of the RMMP newsgroup - remember that?

Fair to say I've learned so much about gear, respecting opinions, and playing ideas. But, the best part and the real reason I continue to come back here is for the friendship of many of the fine folks here.
Old 12-05-2012, 01:42 PM

I have learned so much here in the past year and a half. It is tremendous, I mean, there are some things that they won't publish in magazines (like gigs gone wrong, how often you break stricks, etc). Some of that I just find really interesting/entertaining to read, and I want to thank all of you guys for that
Old 12-05-2012, 01:59 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermuda View Post
The very first member (original admin I believe) signed in on June 17, 2005. Bernhard joined on 6/21, and on 6/24 other members (including admins Dog Breath and Nutha Jason) started signing up. So it's probably fair to call June 24, 2005 the beginning.

Wait a second. Are you saying that Bernhard didn't originally create this site? Who did? Did the first guy bow out and Bernhard took over? I need to learn more about DW's inception, I don't want to wait for the movie.
Old 12-05-2012, 02:10 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
The place is a gold mine. This place has helped me enormously in allowing me to explore my closely held, tunnel visioned attitudes about drumming, in a place where it can be evaluated by people all over the world, and it has most definitely shaped and expanded my musical focus. I've said it before that Bernhard is just as influential to the drumming world as William Ludwig, Tony Williams, and a thousand others, if not more so.

I am planning a trip to London next October for the LDS...that just would not have happened without DW. Sure I've always wanted to go there anyway, I've never been overseas before, but now that I can get to meet Andy, Duncan, Henri, and who knows who else...well that just provides the motivation I need.

DW has definitely changed me as a drummer for the better, night and day. A common testimony I'll bet too. Before I was just a lone drummer, in my own head. Now I am part of a global community. It's just huge, the difference.

I can only agree totally with everything Larry highlights.

I'd even go as far as to say, Guru drums would not exist in the form it is now, without Drummerworld forum. Sure, Dean would still have been crafting beautiful drums, & I would still have returned to drumming, but I doubt our paths would have crossed if it wasn't for the influences, guidance, & general wealth of information available here. Conclusively, Origin drums wouldn't exist, so there's a cast iron solid piece of Drummerworld legacy right there, wether that's relevant to an individual or not.

Aside from that, the other area of my life transformation I'd like to highlight, are the overwhelming warm responses, & subsequent friendships I experience here. Prior to joining this forum, I wouldn't have thought it possible for me to establish truly meaningful distance friendships. Thankfully, how wrong I was.

To pick up on Jon's 20 years ago point, I couldn't agree more. Back in the day, my only exposure to other drummers was the guys on my circuit. Although that had the benefit of face to face, time was often short, as a meeting was usually at soundcheck, a rehearsal studio, a session in a complex, etc. Here, I'm able to take subjects in depth, across oceans, in different time zones, in disparate cultures, & across all levels of experience/contexts. Just that provision alone is awesome in the extreme, & an utter departure from the fairly lonely existence of a working drummer back then.

Bernhard is the facilitator, the catalyst, & I'm most grateful for his almost stoic determination to see such a huge undertaking through to fruition. The mods too, as it takes both time & a real willingness to immerse yet remain detached. Tough call. But most of all, this forum's quality & depth is all about the members who contribute. The fact that experience is given willingly, when in almost every other area of life, such wisdom is charged for, is enough to encourage a constantly renewing new generation of players. That, is probably the most gratifying element of all.

To everyone here, wether we agree with each other or not, you have a place in my thoughts, & that's 100% thanks to Drummerworld forum.
Old 12-05-2012, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Wait a second. Are you saying that Bernhard didn't originally create this site? Who did? Did the first guy bow out and Bernhard took over? I need to learn more about DW's inception, I don't want to wait for the movie.
Just that he was not the very first registered member of the forum... he was #2. Now that I think about it, the Drummerworld site itself undoubtedly pre-dates the forum section. A question for Bernhard...

Berrmuda
Old 12-05-2012, 04:52 PM
The Old Hyde

I get a ton of information from the forum. Wheather its about hardware, pedals, heads new items whatever. Its a great place to go for infomative insight before buying gear. Also when I talk drums or drumming at work or at home I get the un-interested eye rolls. Here we all have a common bond which is great. Thanks Bernard!!
Old 12-05-2012, 04:56 PM
Anthony Amodeo

I am a relatively new member here

but as you can tell by my post count in relation to my join date.....I love this place and check it multiple times per day when my schedule permits

I have learned so many things here I couldn't begin to list

but the most valuable to me have been the music industry lessons and advice I get to read about from guys like Jon Bermuda Schwartz......who have been neck deep in the music industry and whos records I have been listening to since i was in grade school

I am extremely thankful for that

I try to offer knowledge I have gained in my years of study in return

so I thank Bernard for this vehicle

and I thank you Jon for being so accessible, level headed , and willing to offer up your experiences for the benefit of others dealing with similar situations.....whether on a smaller scale or not
Old 12-05-2012, 05:10 PM
Silver Member

As a newcomer to drumming when I joined the site it has been an invaluable resource, I have been able to ask really silly newbie questions, and get very informative well thought out replies, and through the larger, non forum, part of the site, learn about a lot of influential drummers that I may never have discovered.

I also like that this site does not appear to be associated with one particular brand of drums, nor type of music, and has a readership that literally spans the whole world.

Thanks to all who have made this possible, Bernhard, the mods, techies and my fellow forum members.
Old 12-05-2012, 05:18 PM
Platinum Member

For a newcomer, the world of buying your first drum kit can be overwhelming and confusing. The best aspect of DW is that any new drummer can elicit the advice of drum experts on what to buy, etc., etc. Even more valuable is when purchasing used or vintage drums or cymbals. Just think of the poor souls like myself who were not ripped off due to a lack of knowedge because of the gracious (and free!) expert opinions of guys like Steve (tamadrm) and Harry Conway. MVPs in my book. Plus conversing with drummers from other countries. Fun stuff. Thanks DW !

p.s. Don't forget the drama and knowledge that Sticks brings to the table too :)
Old 12-05-2012, 05:20 PM
Bandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryz View Post
For a newcomer, the world of buying your first drum kit can be overwhelming and confusing. The best aspect of DW is that any new drummer can elicit the advice of drum experts on what to buy, etc., etc. Even more valuable is when purchasing used or vintage drums or cymbals. Just think of the poor souls like myself who were not ripped off due to a lack of knowedge because of the gracious (and free!) expert opinions of guys like Steve (tamadrm) and Harry Conway. MVPs in my book. Plus conversing with drummers from other countries. Fun stuff. Thanks DW !

p.s. Don't forget the drama and knowledge that Sticks brings to the table too :)
I am still trying to decide what to say if anything! :)
Old 12-05-2012, 06:50 PM
Pioneer Member

I haven’t learned that drummers are the coolest people on the planet, regardless of age, location, style prefs, etc. Because I knew that already.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:02 PM
Platinum Member

Well first and foremost...Thank you, Bernhard!

Secondly, thank you to all of the members who have been so helpful, accepting and encouraging for me. Without this site, I'm not sure I would still be playing. Whenever I got stuck or frustrated or just had a silly question, someone was always there to help me through and give me the pat on the back, kick in the arse or answer I needed.

And the value of being able to talk to the high level of musicians, both pro and amateur, that are here is as the commercial says....Priceless.

As you can see, this post marks 1000 for me so I figure I must have found something of value here. Whatever it is, it definitely keeps me coming back!

Happy Drumming!
Old 12-05-2012, 09:29 PM
Silver Member

For me, getting back to drumming after a 6 year hiatus, the wealth of info I've found on this site has been invaluable even tho I've been here for only a couple of months. From basic stuff like drum gear and practicing methods to just about generally anything and everything drumming and music related, this place has saved me from many possible headaches.

And, in a positive way, provided me with quite a few more! 6 months ago I didn't know what rudiments were and now I'm reading up on the Moeller technique.

So to anyone involved in the site and the forums a big thank you for making my life easier!

I spent almost two months browsing and searching and reading up before even posting anything, the amount of interesting stuff here made for many nights of going to sleep way too late....

I'm starting to sound like a brown nose so I better stop now.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:34 PM
Platinum Member

I'll never learn! You can't make me!
Old 12-05-2012, 09:43 PM
Platinum Member

This place has helped speed up my progress so much that it's ridiculous!
Old 12-05-2012, 09:50 PM
Platinum Member

Yeah, this place is fantastic. I probably spend more time on this forum than any others. It's filled the void of my jazz discussion board (which went belly-up because a bunch of idiots took over the site) as well as drumming, which I never really had a forum for before.

Thanks, of course, to Bernhard for the vision to put this place together. It's the single best resource for those who play the drums -- not exactly a niche market in the world of music, as it's a musical instrument that's in practically every band. How many people can claim such a thing, in this day and age, about anything on the internet? Amazing.

Thanks to Jon for his just-right moderation (not too quick with the ban hammer, but no delay in handling the sh**-disturbers) and professional insights. And for the Weird Al CD he sent me thanks to that isolated drum track contest I won a couple years ago :)

And thanks to all the regulars here who make this place special. I really don't know of another place anywhere, on the internet or otherwise, where I can find out something about literally anything I might be curious about in the realm of drumming.

I have learned SO much here. My arrival at this site occurred in parallel with a huge spike in my own personal musical growth. And that's NOT a coincidence.

I can learn from the world-famous drummers who contribute here to amazing cats like Gvd, who is an amazing player and teacher who has that burning love for the music I can so relate to. I got Bo with his crazy skills and musical credentials, Larry with his professionalism and experience, Andrew and his amazing blogs and video demonstrations, Andy with his unmatched wisdom about drum construction, Grea with her off-the-charts creativity... and I could go on and on.

There are dozens who have left an indelible mark on me. Anyone else play a gig or practice and have in their mind something someone here has said? I do this all the time.

I do love it here. Thanks, everyone.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:54 PM

I'm brand new here, and I must say that I'm really excited about this community I really appreciate the help you brought to the newbs like me, I recently ask'd for help in a song bridge and got a very professional chart! (thanks to Alain Rieder btw). I'm hoping to stay here for a looong time. thanks to everybody! from Mexico

Last edited by GerJiménez; 12-05-2012 at 10:15 PM.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:02 PM

I have learned so much since joining this forum! It has shaped my drumming and the decisions that I make in my drumming purchases.
I have been a member here for a very long time but my post count is so low considering. First, I am a man of few words and, secondly, there is just so much on here to take in!

Thank you, Bernard, for supplying us with such a great place!
Old 12-05-2012, 10:17 PM
Administrator - Mayor

I guess, with my post count, it would be an understatement to say I practically live here. I only wish I had contributed as much as I have taken away. I would not be playing the drums today without this forum. After a 32 year break, I found this place quite by accident. I had seen an ad online to win a set of DW drums. I entered as often as possible, and assume that one day through a typo, or typing DW came upon this website and forum. After realizing that such a forum and body of international drummers existed I began to read as much of the daily posts as possible and found out that drums were within my budget, decided why not. The rest is history.

But let's also not forget the fact that people like Jon, the real pros, take the time to stop by and help us amatuers and hobbyists from time to time. There is not one aspect of drumming that hasn't been touched on in my years here and can only thank the admin and other drummers for putting up with me.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:08 PM
Platinum Member

While my wife probably doesn't like that forum too much ;), I absolutely love it. I check
in daily as well, and I think I'm not even aware of what it gives me!

I'm not quite 30 yet, but before joining DW I've only been an active member at one
other forum for some years, which isn't as multifaceted as DW. Other than that I've
never been a member of a forum. My English would have been too bad without a doubt,
and for some reason I've never even checked out German forums.

Thanks for all the contributors, thanks for the great moderators, and thanks Bernhards!
It's been an inspiration and a wealth of knowledge here for me, and last but not least thanks
to DW I know I'M NOT ALONE :)!!

Many good years to come hopefully!

Last edited by Swiss Matthias; 12-06-2012 at 07:51 AM.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:32 AM

I wouldn't know where to start,just incredible place. There is no end to the knowledge on here by drummers eager to share...Guys like Steve,Jon,all the instructors,and the list goes on putting up with dump questions and remarks from us newbies. A year ago I was welcomed by a dude from Australia...PFG....My wife says I am on here every day...Thank you Bernhard.

Last edited by wildbil; 12-06-2012 at 12:34 AM. Reason: ............
Old 12-06-2012, 01:19 AM

Forums in general are a nice form of communication amongst folk with common interests, and this one is A+

What I learned over the years(many) for any profession/interest is that you can learn something new everyday, if you want to, and in most cases, there is always somebody better. This goes for every talent, skill, or ability, drumming just being one of them.

Basically, communication is a form of grounding, humbleness mainly because the internet has brought the public library to your home in an audio/visual format. Younger drummers probably appreciate this, and if they don't, consider what once was............

Us children born in the 50's and 60's, other than snare lessons had AM radio, then FM, and records, either 45's or LPs.............we tried to play what we heard and interpreted the best we could.

Along came TV like AB and other shows featuring bands, but they faked it(a crash and the cymbal remains still....lol), so that didn't provide a visual of what the drummer was doing(except BR on Carson until live performances came along with DK's Rock Concert and actually attending concerts. We finally started to see the chops for real.

Most of the concerts I attended back in the 70's, I purposely got tickets "BEHIND", the drummer, if available to watch the drummer play, or an angle side stage because other than the tunes, I wanted to see what the H he was doing on parts I couldn't discern from an LP.

I hope young players appreciate modern technology because I do very much. In other words, I rode the same TFE ride Peart did because I saw every hand/foot in his video as an example of what I am saying. Advance that 10 plus years plus the info on this site, and you have the best drumming instruction any musician would ever want.
Old 12-06-2012, 01:38 AM
Platinum Member

IMO, this is a good and active site.

I find that message boards provide the best source of information because it comes from real people.

There are of course all kinds of people and you have to understand where they are coming from, but the information is there.

Off the top of my head, I can't say specifically what I've learned here but I know it has been beneficial to me.
Old 12-07-2012, 08:19 PM
Silver Member

This site is not only the most informative and entertaining drum site on the internet, but pretty much the most amusing website of any kind.

Ever since I started coming here I've been enthralled by the continued adventures of Aussie Lady, Famous Dude, Polite French Chap, Mr Makey-Drums, East-Coast Blues Guy, West-Coast Knowledgeable Geezer, Nice Beginner Lady, Many Posts Man, Aussie Bloke, Other Aussie Bloke, Jazz Man With Beard, Teaching Guy With Enormous Beard, Occasionally Banned Man, Occasionally Banned Man's Nemesis, The Scandanavian Party, German Guitarist-Turned-Drummer Fellow, and The Openhander.
Old 12-07-2012, 08:25 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirRimshot View Post
Most of the concerts I attended back in the 70's, I purposely got tickets "BEHIND", the drummer, if available to watch the drummer play, or an angle side stage because other than the tunes, I wanted to see what the H he was doing on parts I couldn't discern from an LP.
I finally discovered this little tip. Tickets are cheap behind the stage as well. Took me 30 years to figure out that secret. Got close seats behind stage for Elton John show and was treated to a great view of Nigel Olsson at work. $28 ticket.
Old 12-07-2012, 08:50 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Tempered Clavier View Post
This site is not only the most informative and entertaining drum site on the internet, but pretty much the most amusing website of any kind.

Ever since I started coming here I've been enthralled by the continued adventures of Aussie Lady, Famous Dude, Polite French Chap, Mr Makey-Drums, East-Coast Blues Guy, West-Coast Knowledgeable Geezer, Nice Beginner Lady, Many Posts Man, Aussie Bloke, Other Aussie Bloke, Jazz Man With Beard, Teaching Guy With Enormous Beard, Occasionally Banned Man, Occasionally Banned Man's Nemesis, The Scandanavian Party, German Guitarist-Turned-Drummer Fellow, and The Openhander.
He he, nick names for the nick names...and I can tell you who just about every one of these is...we are a close-knit group! Well-played BTC....
Old 12-07-2012, 08:53 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:

Not sure if I'm in the mix, but it's a damn funny post :) :) :)
Old 12-07-2012, 09:11 PM
Anthony Amodeo

Quote:

got every one of them

nicely done
Old 12-07-2012, 09:34 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gvdadrummasum View Post
got every one of them

nicely done
I must still be too new, I don't get who a few of those are... Some of the references must have gone down before I got here.