DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Technique

Drum Technique Tips - Tricks - Practice - Rudiments - Educational DVDs & Books.....

Old 10-04-2012, 04:24 AM

Default Double bass simultaneous hitting problem

I have been trying to get better at heel up because my legs are strained and ache whenever i try to go faster and go for a long while with my heel down.Sometimes i can get it with heel up and go for a short while but then i start hitting at the same time and it just sounds stupid and frustrates me greatly can anybody give me some advice i have looked everywhere for help on this and absolutely no one pulled this up so im guessing im one of the unlucky few who has this problem, thanks
Old 10-04-2012, 07:51 AM

Default Re: Double bass simoltaneous hitting problem

You don't have control over your feet. You have to work on control, not speed. You do that by playing very very slow and relaxed and focus on nailing everything. After playing very slow and very accurate to a click for a long period of time it will be in your muscle memory and will sound solid even if you speed it up.
Old 10-07-2012, 11:32 PM

Drummer from miss may i explained this pretty well in a video i watched....people asked him how he goes so fast on double bass and he pretty much just said that you have to really relax your legs and not even concentrate on how fast you are going and you will get there...i used to have the same problem with trying to keep up with songs i really wanted to play and having my double bass beats sound horrible.

When you play just try to remember to not tense up too much and also concentrate on lifting up your legs instead of trying to do all the work with your ankles and calves.
Old 10-12-2012, 08:52 PM

What helped me in this department was practicing the exercises two "different" ways. First off, don't worry about speed, that will come with practice. Second, I don't have a second so I'll just explain what I did that worked for me.

Every double bass exercise I've ever practiced I've started with heals down. Once I had that reasonably comfortable I'd try it heals up. So maybe, 8 or 16 times through the exercise with heals down and then do the same with heals up.

Then once I was comfortable with both methods (it took a bit of time) I switched to playing all heals down on the exercises one day, and then heels up the next.

Eventually you can switch to just playing all heals up as the control will be there andddd let's face it, if you're doing a lot of fast double bass, you're most likely doing it heels up for the volume of it all!

Good luck, hope that helped!
Old 10-14-2012, 04:33 AM

SLOW everything down. Put your metronome on 30-40 bpm and relax.
Old 10-14-2012, 09:39 AM
Platinum Member

Practice slowly and be patient.

Don't expect to be a master tomorrow, but rather to improve slowly and constantly for the rest of your life.

Enjoy the journey, goals are in constant motion anyway.

Techniques and small adjustments are good to ponder, but they make more sense, as any philosophy does, with more mileage and experience.