DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Technique

Drum Technique Tips - Tricks - Practice - Rudiments - Educational DVDs & Books.....

Old 10-03-2012, 09:40 PM

Default Critique my playing and offer tips

Hello all,

I am looking for some feedback to aide me in growing from a guy that can play drums into a drummer. My story is rather unique as I am 37 and I have been playing drums since high school. The unique part is that I have never been in a band (until two years ago) and never practiced by myself. Most of the past 20 years of playing has been jamming with other musicians a few times a year. I started a band with another old high school buddy a couple of years ago and we began writing songs and playing out.

Consequently, I am a pocket drummer that plays by feel and feeds off of the other players. I have never practiced with a metronome and rarely keep count in my head. Any advice would be appreciated as to what I should work on without scratching the last 20 years and starting over with the basics. I simply don't have the time or rehearsal space get on a militant practice schedule.

Please have a listen to a few tracks we have laid down for a Demo and offer some feedback (no click track used).

SoundCloud

Long time lurker and first time poster,
~Byron
Old 10-03-2012, 11:18 PM

Default Re: Critique my playing and offer tips

" I simply don't have the time or rehearsal space get on a militant practice schedule. "..... If you don't have the "time" , then how can any of us offer suggestions that would require you to make the time to implement them?
Old 10-04-2012, 12:28 AM

I wouldn't say im in much of a position to give advice as i've only been playing 3 years but ill try give some anyway, so do with it as you wish. First off, your bands killer man, love the sound. I'll give some general tips on things I try to do and then ill tell you what I think of your playing on each of the songs.
If your playing straight eights on the hihats accent the quarter notes and throw in a few ghost notes here and there but dont over do it. With fills make sure they fit the song. Dont just fill for the sake of it. Groove and dynamics are key.

Just my opinion im giving here remember

Climb the ladder - Playing is pretty good on this track. Accent the hihats on the quarter notes, Make the sure the snare stands out more during the chorus with rim shots.

Lakeside Lovers - I dont think the fill at 0.45 fits, apart from that good job

Space Whisky - Playing is good

Stevie - Playing sounds good, for some reason im wondering what it would sound like if you moved you right hand to the floor tom on the verse? maybe try it out.

Not Ready - need to make the drums stand out more on the chorus

KillyBeggs - a rock rock shuffle would sound good here i think.

Over all good playing and a killer band.

Good luck!
Old 10-05-2012, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by birks10 View Post
" I simply don't have the time or rehearsal space get on a militant practice schedule. "..... If you don't have the "time" , then how can any of us offer suggestions that would require you to make the time to implement them?
You make a great point, but this doesn't mean I don't have time to practice at all... I just prefer to use my precious playing time for jamming with others.

I suppose I was trying to make a point about having limited time to ensure people take that into account. I'm not trying to re-invent the wheel, just fine tune.
Old 10-05-2012, 06:32 PM

@drumming4life - thank you so much for the kind words! I really appreciate you taking the time to listen and analyze each track.

everything you said seemed spot on to me. The rock shuffle suggestion on Killy is exactly what I am looking to gain by posting this. I'm definitely going to try to incorporate some of your other suggestions as well. Again, many thanks for the feedback!

I am also interested in feedback for my timing as I play loose and sometime will get behind the beat during practice. I think I'm generally pretty timely for a guy that has never practiced with a metronome and doesn't count in his head, I just kind of feel the song. This is a problem because if someone blows their part in the song, it can throw me off as well.