DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 09-20-2012, 09:40 AM

Default help with drum covers on you tube

Hi guys this is my first post on here and im hoping somebody will have the answer to this question. I see a lot of people posting drum covers on you tube does anyone know how they are getting these tracks without drums on? Or are they playing over the original you never seem to hear an original drum part in them but i have looked around on the net and cant seem to find these tracks without the original drums on!
Although ive managed to rise to the level of a pro drummer i have never done this so its somthing i would like to try.
Thanks for your time guys keep Drumming!!!!!

Last edited by radsticks; 09-20-2012 at 09:52 AM. Reason: last title was too vague
Old 09-20-2012, 09:45 AM
Arky
This message has been deleted by Arky. Reason: Post was meant as temporary info
Old 09-20-2012, 10:47 AM

Default Re: help with drum covers on you tube

Look here . . . . . .

http://www.youtube.com/user/DrumlessMusic

Also, I have located a few drumless tracks websites that I have downloaded drumess tunes to my laptop, where I can take with me to my drum room and play to with headphones.

http://www.resource4drums.com
Old 09-20-2012, 11:59 AM

The are 3 ways I've seen and asked youtubers do it.

Firstly is the easiest and most common:
You record your drums to the original song, then place the original song in the video but turn down the songs volume so you hear it but your drums are more prominent, this is great for the ease of doing it but presents some problems. Firstly like you said you cant always hear he original songs drums, this is because they played very tight to the song and hit every thing perfect, if there timing swayed then you would of heard the original. Secondly if the drums are prominent in the original mix then you have to turn down the audio more meaning the backing track has to be even more quieter and can be come too quiet.

The second way isnt as common and is pretty hard if you don't know what your doing:
You do everything the same as the first method but before you import the original track to the video you run it through an audio editing program and edit it to quieten down the drums or in some cases remove them altogether. This is great because it become similar to a drumless track making it great if you cant find a drumless version of the song. However the problem arises that most people don't know a great deal about audio and it takes skill to quieten the drums and leave the guitars the same before.

The third way is really easy and can be pretty common.
You just find a drumless track (alvanko has already posted some resources), A drum less track means you dump the track to the video adjust the sound levels and line it up then export. This is great because even if your time wavers it won't be as noticeable because you wont hear the original drums, you can also have the backing track a lot louder and can do your own take on the drums without hearing the original in the background either. The problem with this is not every song has a drumless version easily available and ready for download meaning you could be searching for a while to do a song you want to cover.

I hope this helps dude.
Old 09-03-2013, 03:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radsticks View Post
Hi guys this is my first post on here and im hoping somebody will have the answer to this question. I see a lot of people posting drum covers on you tube does anyone know how they are getting these tracks without drums on? Or are they playing over the original you never seem to hear an original drum part in them but i have looked around on the net and cant seem to find these tracks without the original drums on!
Although ive managed to rise to the level of a pro drummer i have never done this so its somthing i would like to try.
Thanks for your time guys keep Drumming!!!!!
Sites like mine, minusdrums.com. The site has over 1,000 tracks (finally broke through the 1k mark this year!!) in all genres: rock, jazz, blues, metal, covers, originals, country, gospel/worship, and more.
Old 09-03-2013, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvanko View Post
This is the best one by far.

I haven't been there in a long time but they used to have a drumless section with all the guitar hero and rockband drumless tracks. Not sure if they still do though....worth take a look.