DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 02-19-2007, 01:30 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: Gavin Harrison here!

last couple of days i've been listening to "Deadwing" again. it's so nice to actually listen to a band with great playing, great vocals (not metal band "cattle prod up the ass" screaming/growling), dynamics, and music that doesn't insult your intelligence.
Yamaha Stands and Pedals
Old 02-19-2007, 02:05 AM

Hey Gavin, first I just discovered porcupine tree, all I can saw is wow! I cant believe i didn't find this bad earlier

ok so my question....

I read somewhere that you combine triggered and acoustic sounds, Is that true? If so how are you going about doing that?
Old 02-19-2007, 11:52 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi nickg,
glad you like the record - although there's nothing quite like the "cattle prod up the ass" to wake up a singer! It's a production technique I intend to pursue.

Hi Zildjian 242,
Sometimes I use a plug-in called "Drumagog" to add a very short clicky sample to the front of my bass drum sound in post production. The problem can be that if you play some fast notes with the double bass drum pedal - sometimes it gets lost in the music. If I EQ the bass drum to be really clicky enough to cut through the rest of the band - it sounds very nasty (as a bass drum) and it starts to make the cymbals and snare sound nasty too. So if I add a tiny amount of clicky bd sample it doesn't change the sound of the drums - but just gives a bit of clarity to what I'm doing.

Cheers
Gavin
Old 02-21-2007, 05:26 AM

So, Gavin,
Did you have a hard time singing the polyrhythms on this dvd? I tried singing along and found myself lightheaded and out of breath with the 5's and 7's. How did singing these make you feel?

Don't get me wrong - you're brilliant - just a little lighthearted question!!

Thanks for being a huge inspiration and for all of the beautiful music! Looking forward to the new cd.

Thanks,
Western New York's only 9-fingered drummer
Paul
Old 02-21-2007, 06:57 AM

Hey Gavin-

Wanted to say-Rhythmic Horizons is a GREAT DVD....I especially like the ending called resolved. Just had an article put in on http://www.handidrummed.com/drummers...robert_lykins/ check it out if you don't mind and have a few minutes. Looking forward to the new cd.

Thanks for everything...
-Rob
Old 02-21-2007, 10:51 AM

hi Gavin,

i recently had the pleasure of watching the Porcupine Tree live dvd... and i have to say, it's one of the better live dvd's of ANY band that i've ever seen! awesome!!
Still yet to check out Rhythmic Horizons in full.

I'm definately looking forward to the new Porcupine Tree album!! bring it on!! hope it's all going well.

Hopefully you guys can get out to Australia for some shows this time round?? pleease!!
:D

keep up the awesome inspiring work!

Gethin
Old 02-21-2007, 12:49 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi DanBritt,
thanks for the comments!

Hi Where_She_Wept,
yes it's hard to sing (or grunt in my case) a long pattern of notes - because at some point you have to breathe. So you have to keep singing as you breathe in. Not easy.

Hi crookedrook,
I read your article - a very inspiring read. Keep up the good work.

Hi Gethin,
thanks for the message, glad you're enjoying the DVD. We'd love to come to Australia - let's hope this time round it happens.

Cheers
Gavin
Old 02-21-2007, 02:24 PM

Hi Gavin,

I've just been visiting the musikmesse frankfurt-page and there is an additional date to your performances on the 29th, can you confirm this date or did they somehow get mixed up?
I recently 'infected' a friend of mine with the 'and-now-let's-play-this-in-gavin-harrison-style"-virus and I'm planning to take him to frankfurt and surprise him with your performance, and I would really like to avoid the following conversation:
Me: "Hey, I got a surprise for you!"
Him: "Wow! An empty stage...gee, thanks!"

Thanks for all the inspiration!
Maren
Old 02-21-2007, 08:44 PM

Hi Gav!

First, I just heard the Fear of a blank planet preview on myspace.com, it sounds really awesome! Nice sound, great drums, tight guitars. Congratulations, this will be the best PT Album, imo.

Im really excited to see you in Frankfurt at Musikmesse next month. What will you perform? I hope you will play Futile...
What do you think? Will you get your new SQ2 kit till the show? ;-)

Cheers,
Ivan
Old 02-22-2007, 12:03 AM

Hey Gavin

I just listened to the "Fear Of A Blank Planet" preview and now I'm even more excited than I already was. Although I noticed that 2 songs were leaked to torrent sites. Were you guys aware of that? I don't want to spoil the surprise for myself as I know the album will be awesome. I love that you can still find a few bands that make great albums as apposed to the odd good track and a bunch of filler.

The wait is killing me!
Daniel
Old 02-22-2007, 01:42 AM

Hi ya Gavin

Love the album preview on the Porcupine Tree Myspace site. WOW! Sounds amazing.
I love the dynamics you and the band have. I can't say that enough. Plus it sounds like you've been given a lot of room to let loose on the drums. Always a bonus :-)

Sorry, another pesty question :-)
Gavin, I saw a post on a forum a while back that you might be re-recording (if not done already) the drum parts on earlier albums that were done prior to you joining Porcupine Tree. Is this true? If so, which ones? It mentioned something about releasing the early albums as a box set. I wish I could remember the forum, but it was a while ago. That would be pretty cool to hear your drumming on those earlier studio albums. Since I'm new to the Porcupine Tree fan tree, I only have In Absentia, Deadwing, and the Live DVD.

Glen
Old 02-22-2007, 12:13 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi lifeisalldynamics,
I saw that too - and I don't know for sure at the moment. If I am - I'll post it here.

Cheers
Gavin

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeisalldynamics View Post

I've just been visiting the musikmesse frankfurt-page and there is an additional date to your performances on the 29th, can you confirm this date or did they somehow get mixed up?
Old 02-22-2007, 12:18 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi MadGuitar, Gibbersticks and Glen Thomas,
thanks for the comments - I'm glad you like the preview.

There's no plan for me to go back and put new drums on those old records.

I might play some PT stuff at the Frankfurt show. It's a surprise.

Cheers
Gavin
Old 02-22-2007, 01:29 PM

Hi again Gavin

With Porcupine Tree and Rush releasing new albums soon, is there a chance you
guys will open for Rush on a few dates? That would be a dyno double bill.. :-)

glen
Old 02-22-2007, 02:37 PM

Hi There!

The Blank planet preview sounds really cool. I'm really looking forward to the album.

Is there any chance of you doing a clinic in finland? PT is playing at Ilosaarirock in july and i was hoping that you would have a little spare time for a clinic while you are here. I talked with the Deluxe music (Sonor and Zildjian dealer in Finland) guys today and they said, that they are going to look into it. Hopefully it will work out.
Old 02-22-2007, 04:34 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi glen thomas,
we''d love to open for Rush. Just waiting for the invite.

Hi Nonconnor,
I'd be happy to make a clinic in Finland - it depends on many things though. We might be flying out the next day to play somewhere else. Let's see what happens.

cheers
Gavin
Old 02-22-2007, 05:18 PM

Well it's nice to know that it's not totally out of the question. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I might even apply the "cattle prod up the ass" -technique to get the Deluxe music / Em Nordic guys moving.
Old 02-23-2007, 12:57 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi lifeisalldynamics,
I understand that I will NOT be performing on the 29th at Frankfurt. I think it's a mistake on that website. I will probably be there in the afternoon of the 29th setting up and adjusting my kit for the following day. You might even find me at the Sonor booth.

Cheers
Gavin

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeisalldynamics View Post

Maren
Old 02-23-2007, 07:34 PM

Good Evening Gavin.
Another one who would like to add how awesome the 'FOABPlanet' preview is...can't wait for the album.
Anyway, browsing through my local second hand cd store earlier today when I came across 'Dizrhythmia', the name rang a bell so I find this album features the talents (from '88) of a certain 'Gavin Harrison'. Man, I've had one listen and it's 'out there' for sure. I had a wee google and came across the term 'Indo-fusion'? and checked out that it's you mate. Any recollections of this Gavin? Personally I consider it quite the find.

ps: Hey! MY mention of 'PT opening for Rush' a while back was heartily ignored!? Heh heh.
Old 02-23-2007, 10:31 PM

The FOABP preview on the PTree myspace page is awesome - lots of dynamic contrasts, heavy parts, beautiful parts, etc. Everything that I love about PTree seems to be touched on in that preview - I can't wait to hear the whole thing (I'm assuming there are at least some decent transitions between all those cool parts! lol! :) )

The preview gives me the impression that you use a fair amount of double bass on the heavier sections. You have often downplayed your double bass talent (something I would vehemently disagree with :)) I have tried for quite some time to play the ending to "Futile" up to speed - but those short double kick bursts and their relation to the ride/snare pattern is extremely difficult. Do you begin thinking of something like the end of "Futile" by focusing on your lead (right) foot and then try to add the other foot to double it up? Also, I am trying to determine if you hit the kick simultaneously with the snare where the pattern lines up? (This lends to 3 groupings of 5 notes on the kick vs. changing the kick pattern to allow for the snare hit)
Old 02-23-2007, 11:26 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Ogg,
We had a really great time making that record. It's a long time ago now - but I loved working with the other members Danny Thompson, Pandit Dinesh and Jakko Jakszyk. It came together really quickly at Spaceward Studios near Cambridge. We all played together and it was a nice vibe - sadly nothing really came of it as the record company dropped it after about a year.

Cheers
Gavin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogg View Post
Anyway, browsing through my local second hand cd store earlier today when I came across 'Dizrhythmia', the name rang a bell so I find this album features the talents (from '88) of a certain 'Gavin Harrison'. Man, I've had one listen and it's 'out there' for sure. I had a wee google and came across the term 'Indo-fusion'? and checked out that it's you mate. Any recollections of this Gavin? Personally I consider it quite the find.
Old 02-23-2007, 11:30 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Cygnify,
that preview seems to have all my double bass drumming in it for the whole record!
In the end of "Futile" there's only 4 notes on the BD in between the china hits - and none with the snare drum. Does that make sense?
I think you can clearly see it in this clip

http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/g...sonfutile.html

Cheers
Gavin

Quote:
Originally Posted by cygnify View Post

The preview gives me the impression that you use a fair amount of double bass on the heavier sections. You have often downplayed your double bass talent (something I would vehemently disagree with :)) I have tried for quite some time to play the ending to "Futile" up to speed - but those short double kick bursts and their relation to the ride/snare pattern is extremely difficult. Do you begin thinking of something like the end of "Futile" by focusing on your lead (right) foot and then try to add the other foot to double it up? Also, I am trying to determine if you hit the kick simultaneously with the snare where the pattern lines up? (This lends to 3 groupings of 5 notes on the kick vs. changing the kick pattern to allow for the snare hit)
Old 02-24-2007, 02:53 AM

Hi Gavin,

I intend no harm to C.Maitland by writing this, but...I've been going through (OK, obsessing over) PT's back catalog and can't help but compare you two.

Something "torqued up" the entire PT sound when you joined the band (and I'm not just talking about the "heavier" sound on IA and Deadwing). There's a noticeable energy missing on the earlier stuff that attributable directly to your later influence. It's almost like Maitland had an "asleep at the wheel" style about him.

Speaking of asleep at the wheel, well, more like in a trance at the wheel, your music is a constant companion on my drive to and from work. It's a never-ending source of wonderment to me, a 47 year old chick in North Carolina, USA. (Love your, Start of Something Beautiful and the addition of your twinkle-doo cymbalettes on the DVD)

It's a pleasure to read the comments from other posters here. I don't feel quite so much like I'm living in the wilderness without fellow kindred. I'm doing my best to "evangelize the masses" regarding PT, even if I prefer to keep you all to myself. (I joke.)

Here's hoping y'all come back to DC on your next US tour. I'll drive the four hours - no problema.
Old 02-24-2007, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diane View Post
Hi Gavin,

I intend no harm to C.Maitland by writing this, but...I've been going through (OK, obsessing over) PT's back catalog and can't help but compare you two.

Something "torqued up" the entire PT sound when you joined the band (and I'm not just talking about the "heavier" sound on IA and Deadwing). There's a noticeable energy missing on the earlier stuff that attributable directly to your later influence. It's almost like Maitland had an "asleep at the wheel" style about him.

Speaking of asleep at the wheel, well, more like in a trance at the wheel, your music is a constant companion on my drive to and from work. It's a never-ending source of wonderment to me, a 47 year old chick in North Carolina, USA. (Love your, Start of Something Beautiful and the addition of your twinkle-doo cymbalettes on the DVD)

It's a pleasure to read the comments from other posters here. I don't feel quite so much like I'm living in the wilderness without fellow kindred. I'm doing my best to "evangelize the masses" regarding PT, even if I prefer to keep you all to myself. (I joke.)

Here's hoping y'all come back to DC on your next US tour. I'll drive the four hours - no problema.
Ummmm I'm thinking that unless you can play anywhere near as good as Chris Maitland did for PT then maybe you shouldn't say he was "asleep at the wheel". I personally think his drumming was excellent and he was their drummer when I discovered PT and became completely obsessed. When Gavin (here is your props!) took over he just took the band to another level. It was just meant to be. Maybe the band had just progressed beyond Chris's skill level??? Why did he leave anyway? Was he fired? Whats the scoop Gavin??? Do tell, do tell.

cheers
Daniel
Old 02-24-2007, 03:51 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Diane,
thanks for your comments - I'm glad you're enjoying driving to it. Let's hope we play in DC again next tour.

Hi Gibbersticks,
yes I think Chris is a great drummer too. It's not a question of Chris v Me. We're just different types of players.

Cheers
Gavin
Old 02-24-2007, 04:26 PM
Founder Drummerworld

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbersticks View Post
Why did he leave anyway? Was he fired? Whats the scoop Gavin??? Do tell, do tell.
Daniel
Hi Daniel. It's great that Gavin finds time and pleasure to answer really all these technical drumming questions. What an enrichment for our forum - like a live chat. Thank you soo much Gavin, looking forward to meet you in FF......

BUT PLEASE: Don't ask him personal band internas or opinions about other drummers, you will not get an answer on the forum - for good reason. That's also the reason, why so few drummers frequent forums.

Bernhard
Old 02-24-2007, 04:37 PM

Quote:
BUT PLEASE: Don't ask him personal band internas or opinions about other drummers, you will not get an answer on the forum - for good reason. That's also the reason, why so few drummers frequent forums.
I didn't ask him for his opinion on Chris Maitland, I was sticking up for him as I think he was awesome with PT. I really didn't expect an answer about why Chris left the band, call it curiousity!

I also agree that for someone of Gavins stature to make himself available to the masses like this just adds to his reputation. If only more Pros could take the time to do the same.

Cheers
Daniel
Old 02-24-2007, 07:48 PM

Hey Gavin,
I just finished reading Kenny Werners "Effortless Mastery." Could you give me some insight into what you came away with, from this obviously intelligent and thought provoking book. Thanks, Take care and God bless.

MM
Old 02-25-2007, 12:14 AM

Jippiiiiiiii Gavin will come to Germany , Frankfurt

I will be first in line :)
Hmmm is there a chance to met you after the show to get an autograph on my Rhymtmic Vision DVD or PT-CD ? :) :)

Would be great !

Nice Greetings to the master and all other musicians :)

Timbo

P.s. the drums on the new album F.O.B.P. are awesome.
Nice double bass licks . Pro-Metal-drummers will be jealous when they listen to it :)
Old 02-25-2007, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnite Mike View Post
Hey Gavin,
I just finished reading Kenny Werners "Effortless Mastery." Could you give me some insight into what you came away with, from this obviously intelligent and thought provoking book. Thanks, Take care and God bless.

MM
I've not heard of this book. I see that it's highly recommended but how does it help out a drummer for example?
Old 02-25-2007, 04:25 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Midnite Mike & Glen Thomas,
It's a great read - and I can't really do it justice by summarising it in a couple of sentences..but the main thing that I got from reading "Effortless Mastery" was that I could mentally relax more about trying to sound good. Laugh off mistakes and not fear them. It was just a change in attitude about performance especially regarding improvising.

Hi Timbo,
yes I'll be there - probably the best place to find me is at the Sonor stand.

Cheers
Gavin
Old 02-25-2007, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Harrison View Post
Hi Midnite Mike & Glen Thomas,
It's a great read - and I can't really do it justice by summarising it in a couple of sentences..but the main thing that I got from reading "Effortless Mastery" was that I could mentally relax more about trying to sound good. Laugh off mistakes and not fear them. It was just a change in attitude about performance especially regarding improvising.
I already laugh at my playing so I've got a good head start.. |0| :-)
I'll definetly pick the book up. It sounds interesting.
Thanks Gavin
Old 02-26-2007, 12:39 AM

I honestly do not think you're aware of how cool your accessibility is Gavin. Thanks again for taking the time to reply to us mortals. I'm a proficient practising drummer for over twenty years and pretty much have my six piece set up to perfection...but now I have three (very different) splash cymbals to the left of my hats, lets say it's getting there but thanks again for the inspiration.
I'd have to agree that your presence has raised PT to a whole new level, somewhat reassuring to find an album's release thoroughly encircled on one's calender and awaited with genuine anticiapation. I'm holding a rather smokey listening party in honour of the album's release...first I've held since 'Vapor Trails'!
Of course you're invited mate...:)

Nice post Diane, the driving 'chick in North Carolina..' I listen to PT non-stop on my mp3 player when I'm delivering the royal mail, here in a very wet england '.3' (from IAbs) being the current fav' :).
Old 02-26-2007, 03:01 PM

Hi Gavin,

thanks for the musikmesse-info, I'm looking forward to your performance there as much as to the new PT-album, I'm trying to avoid listening to any snippets on the net as i very much like to stretch the time of anticipated joy and I'm sure it will be worth waiting for the 'whole package'.

Cheers, Maren

Last edited by lifeisalldynamics; 03-24-2007 at 05:55 PM.
Old 02-26-2007, 05:49 PM

hi gavin

i recently got your rythmic illusions video and it is a great inspiration. it introduces all those wicked ideas/conecepts in a real good style/way. i definatly want to get your book to help inforce those ideas on the video.

just a quick question and i hope you have not answered this before, i have had a browse through and could not find it

on the dvd (rythmic illusion) you use a silver snare drum (you use this the marority of the time) which looks like it is a 13". you you possibly tell me what drum it was because it sounds amazing.

thanks for you time

tom
Old 02-26-2007, 07:25 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi mr_hayward_99,
thanks for the message. I think you may have the name of the DVD wrong. There's two DVDs "Rhythmic Visions" and the new one "Rhythmic Horizons".

I think you're confusing it with the name of my first book "Rhythmic Illusions" (easily done as all my stuff is Rhythmic This and Rhythmic That). I imagine you're talking about the white snare drum with silver specks in it? If that's the one you mean - it is a 12x5 Sonor Designer.

Cheers
Gavin
Old 02-26-2007, 08:09 PM

Hi!
Yes you guys are right this guy is good!
I like the fact that he plays not only with sticks,but with his mind and a very big musical sense of rhythm.Thats what I really like!
And It's great to know that english drummers like Gavin,Neil Wilkinson,Etc are getting a known position in the drum world!
And his spotless match grip technique!! not to miss!
keep it up Gavin!!
Old 02-27-2007, 12:57 AM

Hey Gavin,
I've been listening to the studio albums and the live performances of PT for sometime now and i'm curious about something. I understand that you like to "mix it up" in your live performances, i.e.: drums fills, overriding, etc. which i love to hear, and i understand. Who wants to hear or play the same damn fills every single night? My question is: When you sit down to record for the albums, what is the deciding factor about what fills get put in and what fills get left out? Its obvious that you have a large selection from your arsenal, so where is the line drawn? Thanks, take care and God bless.

MM
Old 02-27-2007, 12:41 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi dannypenalver,
thanks for the kind words.

Hi Midnite Mike,
I try to just play fills that come to me on the spot rather than drawing on an arsenal of fills - although those ones seep through sometimes. If my mind is in the right place for the song and the arrangement - I hopefully would find a fill that's right for that moment. It has to have some musical sense to it rather than just a 'show off your chops' based thing just for the hell of it. I suppose it's quite an instinctive thing - where to put a fill - and what type of fill - I think a lot of it comes down to the character and personality of the drummer.

Cheers
Gavin
Old 02-27-2007, 01:40 PM

hi gavin.

just thought i'd say how much i enjoyed your interview with Mike Dolbear....very informative.

also, look forward to seeing you in Wolverhampton in April.

carry on.

DWP