DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 10-28-2010, 10:24 AM

Default Re: Gavin Harrison here!

cheers gavin!

i've been reading about your practice routine on your website. i've read something that i didn't really understand. I will quote to avoid any confusion;

Quote:
Q: How often and long do you practice, and what does it consist of?

A: I tend to practice concepts, coordination and timing exercises.
this is just a part of the answer, but i'm curious about that what is underlined; when you say concepts, what exactly do you mean?

best regards from croatia, hope to see porcupine tree here soon :)
Old 10-28-2010, 05:33 PM

Thanks for your answer Gavin! I'll take that in account when scoring out drums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CareyCopelandCameron View Post
Sounds like you believe everyone wants to play in that "fantastic" band !?
I wouldnt want to play there....
Well I just heard from a very reliable source that Phil Collins, Dave Weckl and Jeff Porcaro where on the audition list too!
Old 10-28-2010, 07:16 PM
Platinum Member

I heard from a very reliable source that Meg White auditioned too.
Old 10-28-2010, 08:56 PM

Buddy Rich and Animal (from the Muppets Show) were there, too - and auditioned for a double-drummer-lineup!
Old 10-29-2010, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiss Matthias View Post
I heard from a very reliable source that Meg White auditioned too.
Sorry that's not possible I'm afraid. She only auditioned to sing in my fusion band… Are you sure you are not confusing the two audition sessions?
Old 10-29-2010, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SantiBanks View Post
Well I just heard from a very reliable source that Phil Collins, Dave Weckl and Jeff Porcaro where on the audition list too!
Well ok...I dont like a single one of them;)
And..well,I still dont know why someone should join this band.
Old 10-30-2010, 12:56 AM

Hi,
you mentioned you are using Sennheiser mx400 headphones with custom mold of your ear. I was wondering what type of mold are you using, so you can put headphone in it. Thanks
Old 11-01-2010, 05:46 PM

Hi Gavin, as you're my drummer idol, I want to ask you for an advice. I have a 20" K Custom Ride. I would like my ride cymbal to sound dry, don't have money to let myself buy a new ride. Is there anything that can dry'then my ride cymbal. Thanks.

Also, as I've been recently deciding which new hihat to buy, I was in a drumshop, I literally spent 1 hour running between two pairs, 14" K HiHats and 14" A Custom Mastersound HiHats. I took a shot and chose the K series ones. But, as I played them for a few days, I realised that they sound too dry for me, so tomorrow I'm going to change to the A custom mastersound. What is your opinion on A Custom 14" Mastersound HiHats. Thank you very much in advance, keep on inspirating young talents with your groovy chops and rhythmic illusions :)
Old 11-02-2010, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Sounds like you believe everyone wants to play in that "fantastic" band !?
I wouldnt want to play there....
Yes, because I'm sure you have what takes. Yes, I named a whopping three people, that pretty much sums up "everyone". Fool.
Old 11-02-2010, 12:52 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi euphoric_anomaly

I recently fell in love with your work on OSI's album "Blood".
I noticed in Radiologue, you do the same fancy offbeat footwork that you did in Futile -- where the double bass roll seems displaced by a 16th note, something like that. I think the name for the type of fill was Herta???

I assume you're referring to the last two bars of where the drums are playing? It's not the same as Futile and they're not Hertas. A Herta is two 32nd notes followed by two 16th notes and it's all single stroke sticking (or footing). On this track it's just short bursts of triplets.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, the title track to the album is (at least the intro) 10/8.

I would think of it as 5/4.

Hi RogerTheShrubber

I know you like to use Space Designer when mixing but how many subgroups do you use? Or do you just get a good mix of everything and then send it to one aux bus and then apply reverb, etc ... ?

I normally have the toms on one bus - the rest of the drums on another bus and the reverb on a third bus. The snare and toms get sent via the aux knob on each of their channel strips to the reverb bus.

Hi SimSalaBim

What about the physical aspect of your drumming. How do you keep fit on the road and do you smoke or drink?

The truth is I don't keep fit on the road. Sometimes on the European leg of a tour I can bring my bicycle and have a quick ride every now and then but that's about it. I don't smoke and hardly drink either.

Hi D-a-n-i-e-l

i would like to know a few things about the "in absentia" sessions.
1) how much time did you have to prepare for the session? were there any drums on the tracks, when you got them?

I had the demos at home for about 10 days before the session. There were just basic drum machine parts on them.

2) what were your thoughts and feelings, when you first heard the music?

I liked it and knew I could do something good with it.

3) why did you use dw-drums on this album? how did they feel/sound compared to your sonor-kit? did you like them?

There was a big mix up with the delivering of the Sonor drums - wires got crossed and things didn't show up - I'd only been an endorser for a very short time. We couldn't wait around because the studio was costing a fortune and we didn't have endless budget so S.I.R rentals brought over a DW set. It was very nice but not like the Sonors.

Hi oldskooljay

I was looking to cover Quite Firm from Laurence Cottle but, I can only find a live recording from 1995. You said it was only done for you and your DVD, but is there anyway for the public to get their hands on it? And if not, would you ever consider releasing it? (with Lawrence's permission obviously)

I don't know what you mean by "get your hands on it" ? You want the arrangement charts for all the players of a big band because you want to perform/record this piece?

Hi marin

this is just a part of the answer, but i'm curious about that what is underlined; when you say concepts, what exactly do you mean?

Ideas - non specific exercises. Like metric modulation or displacement for instance.

Hi mly

you mentioned you are using Sennheiser mx400 headphones with custom mold of your ear. I was wondering what type of mold are you using, so you can put headphone in it.

Some audiologists can make impressions of your ears that these generic 'bud' headphones like the ones you mention can fit inside. Like this http://www.handheldaudio.co.uk/pages....gif&pr_id=692

but be aware they sound pretty bad. If you're looking for really good IEMs then check these out. I've been using them for the last year or so and they are amazing. The bad news is that they're expensive - but definitely worth it.
http://www.sensaphonics.com/prod_3d_earphones.html

scottishhaggis

I have a 20" K Custom Ride. I would like my ride cymbal to sound dry, don't have money to let myself buy a new ride. Is there anything that can dry'then my ride cymbal.
You can try putting some gaffa tape on the bottom of it.

What is your opinion on A Custom 14" Mastersound HiHats.

personally I've never got on with the mastersound or soundedge bottom cymbal very well because I didn't like the way they sounded when they were tightly closed. I've been using the 13" Ks hi hats for quite a few years and they suit me well. Everyone has different tastes of course.

cheers
Gavin
Old 11-02-2010, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottishhaggis View Post
I have a 20" K Custom Ride. I would like my ride cymbal to sound dry, don't have money to let myself buy a new ride. Is there anything that can dry'then my ride cymbal. Thanks.
Hi Scottishhaggis

Going on with what Gavin said, here´s a solution from Zildjian that may interest you:

http://zildjian.com/Products/Accesso...-Package-of-18

I also have an old 20 K Custom Ride, and love it.

Greetings

Last edited by Gus; 11-02-2010 at 07:20 PM.
Old 11-02-2010, 09:51 PM

Hey Gavin,

i don't know if you remember me. We met in Bremen backstage 2009.
I took a picture from you and me and we talked a bit about your new vic firth sticks.
It was great to meet one of my favourite drummers just like that!
Unfortunately i lost the picture...

Anyway, i love your drumming. It's very inspiring to me. Thanks for your hard work
you put in your playing. I can learn very much from it although i prefer other music (R'n'B e.g.)

I also got some questions:
How important is chartreading to you?
Did the importance of it change somehow in your time as a drummer?

Last edited by crystalfunky; 11-03-2010 at 01:35 AM.
Old 11-03-2010, 04:04 PM

Hey Gavin!
I've got three questions for you:
1. I've been thinking of buying a new double pedal for a long time now, and I have been reading about some pedals having equal distance from the centre of the drum with both beaters and others which got one of the beaters in the middle and the other one off the middle.(a little hard to explain, hope you understand it!)
Do you have any opinions on the differences in feel and sound?
Do you have recommendations for both kinds?

2. I am currently waiting for my Sonor 135th anniversary snare which is a copy of your designer one. Do you know how many of these were made in the end?

3. This is more a question aimed at this thread. Do you learn things from answering our questions? Is this only a source for knowledge for us, or is it for you too?

Thanks in advance! :-)

Anders
Old 11-03-2010, 06:53 PM

Hi Chris Carle (CareyCopelandCameron),

Do you have the part 2 of the sonor days video with the performances of Gavin Harrison, Dave Langguth and Benny Greb?

Thank you

Marcos
Old 11-03-2010, 11:46 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by euphoric_anomaly View Post
I've started practicing 6/8 time. Which I find quite easy to grasp, however, I'm always accenting the 'one' of every group of 3 (ONE two three, ONE two three), either with a stomp of the bass drum or a crack of the snare. Could you suggest an alternative way of counting 6/8 so I could play it without it sounding so monotonous or predictable?
In case you read this, try playing every other note accented, it creates a sort of polyrythmic feel. Play it on the ride with one note on the bell and the other just normally, or opening the hi-hat every other beat.

ONE Two THREE One TWO Three ONE Two THREE One TWO Three ONE Two THREE One...

And a question to Gavin, what time would you say the verse of Cheating the polygraph is? I can easliy count 3/4 and 4/4 although 4/4 is a bit more comfortable. I also have a question regarding the ending of the song (6:50- ) Are you playing RLRLRLRL or is this some kind of pattern? And they are 16th triplets, correct?
Old 11-04-2010, 02:26 PM

Cheating the polygraph is basically in 7/8, but it's divided into 7/16 + 7/16 i.e. with the accent on every seventh sixteenth note.

ONE-two-three-four-five-six-sev-TWO-two-three-four-five-six-sev...

One of my favorite GH grooves

---

Gavin,

What exercises would you recommend for bass drum accuracy? I tried improvising some patterns over a samba foot ostinato and I noticed there was a LOT of flamming between the hands and feet. I was thinking maybe if I can get rid of this flamming it will also translate into my playing in general as better foot accuracy. Does this make sense?
Old 11-04-2010, 07:18 PM

Hey Gavin,

Just wondered what your favourite grooves are to play other than your own stuff? Is there a particular drummer who's grooves you just love?

Thanks.

"When the going gets tough, the tough get going!"

Old 11-04-2010, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anders_slĺke View Post
Hey Gavin!

2. I am currently waiting for my Sonor 135th anniversary snare which is a copy of your designer one. Do you know how many of these were made in the end?

Anders
Dude Anders I'm glad I'm not the only one still waiting... I'm hoping I'll get it by christmas
Old 11-04-2010, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rítmico View Post
Hi Chris Carle (CareyCopelandCameron),

Do you have the part 2 of the sonor days video with the performances of Gavin Harrison, Dave Langguth and Benny Greb?

Thank you

Marcos
its nice that you ask...but...filming wasnt allowed and at our workshop we talked a little bit with Gavin about filming at those events.I dont think it would be fair to upload this...as it was never my intention
Old 11-06-2010, 12:06 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi crystalfunky

How important is chartreading to you?
Did the importance of it change somehow in your time as a drummer?

Chart reading was very important to me in my early career. There was plenty of jobs that I did then that I wouldn't have got if I hadn't been able to read. Later reading helped me on studio dates - being able to write my own charts to save a whole load of time - and learning whole sets for artists that I was touring with. I still wrote out charts when I was playing with King Crimson a couple of years ago. Most of all it gave me an understanding of rhythmic structure which led to my first book. It's much easier to conceptualise things like displacements and modulations if you can write them out. So I still use the skill all the time - but sight reading is something I never really get asked to do anymore.

Hi anders_slĺke

1. I've been thinking of buying a new double pedal for a long time now, and I have been reading about some pedals having equal distance from the centre of the drum with both beaters and others which got one of the beaters in the middle and the other one off the middle.(a little hard to explain, hope you understand it!)
Do you have any opinions on the differences in feel and sound?
Do you have recommendations for both kinds?

The Sonor Giant Step pedals have beaters that are equal distance from the centre. I do like that feature. You can't really do it with a lot of other pedals unless you set them up off to one side to compensate.

I'm not sure - I think 50.

3. This is more a question aimed at this thread. Do you learn things from answering our questions? Is this only a source for knowledge for us, or is it for you too?

Sometimes there are some interesting questions. I like having all the drum related questions here on this thread so folks can come and find them in one place. It's really worth checking out the sub site that Richard Holland started www.askgavinharrison.com.

Hi Sjogras

what time would you say the verse of Cheating the polygraph is? I can easliy count 3/4 and 4/4 although 4/4 is a bit more comfortable. I also have a question regarding the ending of the song (6:50- ) Are you playing RLRLRLRL or is this some kind of pattern? And they are 16th triplets, correct?

I don't know how you can count three through it!!! kheddar was correct. It's 7/8 split into two bars of 7/16. The end of the song is 5/8 (and is the same pattern as the start of "Slippin'Away") I think you'll find a transcription of that part earlier in this thread.

Hi kheddar

What exercises would you recommend for bass drum accuracy? I tried improvising some patterns over a samba foot ostinato and I noticed there was a LOT of flamming between the hands and feet. I was thinking maybe if I can get rid of this flamming it will also translate into my playing in general as better foot accuracy. Does this make sense?

There's a paradiddle exercise earlier in this thread where the hi hat foot plays quarter notes and the bass drum foot plays the 3rd and 4th 16th of every four. That is surprisingly hard to do but it will help you with accuracy

Hi jamest

Just wondered what your favourite grooves are to play other than your own stuff? Is there a particular drummer who's grooves you just love?.

I really like some of the grooves of Steve Jansen, Steve Gadd and Jeff Porcaro.

cheers
Gavin
Old 11-07-2010, 12:43 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Harrison View Post

I don't know how you can count three through it!!! kheddar was correct. It's 7/8 split into two bars of 7/16. The end of the song is 5/8 (and is the same pattern as the start of "Slippin'Away") I think you'll find a transcription of that part earlier in this thread.

cheers
Gavin
Hah, thanks. Makes more sense now, although I never really counted that groove since I never had any problem playing it. Was just wondering out of curiousity.

And by the way, I never actually tried counting 3 beats, I counted 6 beats per bar, but that didn't feel quite right.. Gymnastics for the mind though! I really find it amusing playing the "wrong" beat. when jamming Sound of muzak the other day I played 4/4 over the verses. Do you ever do such things too? :)
Old 11-07-2010, 05:30 AM
Gold Member

Hey Gavin!

Just curious as to what your mix is in your IEMs when you play live. Do you mix more of your set or more of the other PT fellas?

Thanks!

F
Old 11-07-2010, 11:28 AM

Hi,
Ive been working with Flash again...and I just made this little thing here
http://giraffemitfeuerwaffe.de/drums.swf

Would be cool if Gavin could add something like this on his website!:-)
Old 11-07-2010, 08:39 PM

Hi everyone, before I decide whether to buy a double bass pedal or not, wanted some advice from anyone. I've been playing drums for only 4 months now. I'm getting better everyday, I feel it and hear it. Since I ever started thinking about playing drums, I really was imagining myself as double bass player. Is it worth buying a double bass pedal now? Even though I'm not an advanced player yet, but still, with already starting to play double pedal now I think my double bass playing would starting to develop already in the starting period of my playing. Or shall I now hurry with this. Thanks in advance.

Robert
Old 11-07-2010, 10:21 PM

Hello Gavin,

One thing that is on my mind lately...

I saw your performance on the modern drummer festival (which was great btw),and after

watching and hearing some of your fills it brings me to the question..

How do you know where the one is, do you count along during the fill, or is it an instinct

kind of thing..

Thanks A alot

y0avz.
Old 11-09-2010, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Hi,
Ive been working with Flash again...and I just made this little thing here
http://giraffemitfeuerwaffe.de/drums.swf

Would be cool if Gavin could add something like this on his website!:-)
haha nice stuff mate :) Love the sound of those bells. They sound wonderful!
Old 11-11-2010, 11:36 AM

G'day again Gavin
You recently said that Half Light is surprisingly difficult to play on drums. Is that because it's hard to keep the sparse slow tempo flowing, or are you referring to something else?
Cheers.
Old 11-11-2010, 08:14 PM

Hi Gavin,

I'm now studying drum in a music college, and I'd like to play ''19 days'' for the last performance of my studies, but I'd like to play it with a band. So, is there somewhere I can find the charts for the other instruments in this song?

Thanks
Luka
Old 11-11-2010, 10:21 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukaperc View Post
Hi Gavin,

I'm now studying drum in a music college, and I'd like to play ''19 days'' for the last performance of my studies, but I'd like to play it with a band. So, is there somewhere I can find the charts for the other instruments in this song?

Thanks
Luka
I think he's answered this already. The version on Rhythmic Horizons comes with the MIDI of "19 Days", so you should be able to extract all the instruments from there.

Fox.
Old 11-12-2010, 09:01 PM

Hi Gavin

I've listen a beautiful album Of Nik Kershaw "The works", and Jeff Porcaro e Vinnie Colaiuta, in this album, reminded me of you. It was one of your influences?
Old 11-12-2010, 09:04 PM

Yay, here it is! :D

Name:  gavin-snare-1.jpg
Views: 2207
Size:  76.9 KB
Name:  gavin-snare-2.jpg
Views: 2005
Size:  109.4 KB

Sounds awesome!
Old 11-13-2010, 01:46 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolonx View Post

Attachment 37084
Attachment 37085

Sounds awesome!
you lucky bastard.;)

-Jonathan

and a like facebook.com/tylordorytrio
Old 11-13-2010, 07:07 PM

Hey Gavin,

Thanks so much for taking the time to pop here and our questions. We really appreciate it!

My question is regarding your drumming on Black Dahlia. Your grooves on that song are just so laid back and played with wonderful feel and sound.

Did you play all of the song with brushes in one take?
During the verses, are you riding 16ths on the snare with your right hand and 8th notes with your left foot on the hihat?

I'm just getting into playing with brushes. What album/s should i check out that have some nice playing with brushes?
Old 11-14-2010, 12:02 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moncholo View Post
I'm just getting into playing with brushes. What album/s should i check out that have some nice playing with brushes?
I've directed people to this one before; if you're just starting out on the brushes, it's a great place to look.
Later!

Fox.
Old 11-14-2010, 06:47 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolonx View Post

Attachment 37084
Attachment 37085

Sounds awesome!
mine shows up on the 22nd....cant wait....

V
Old 11-14-2010, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox622003 View Post
I've directed people to this one before; if you're just starting out on the brushes, it's a great place to look.
Later!

Fox.
Thanks, man!
Any good "brush playing" albums to recommend?
Old 11-15-2010, 11:32 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moncholo View Post
Thanks, man!
Any good "brush playing" albums to recommend?
Well, I can't really think of whole albums played prominently with brushes, you might wanna ask Gavin on that one.

Here's a couple of links you might find useful, though.

Link One.

Link Two.

Link Three.

Link Four.

I don't know, just different styles and techniques. With Erskine's videos, Steve and Jeff's short turorials and playing, and some of the other pop and modern grooves, you're very much set for some long hours of Brush practice.

Oh, and don't miss this little fun solo!
Old 11-16-2010, 08:21 AM
Platinum Member

-Check out some classic jazz albums, they always have a ballad or other tunes with brushes.
-Jeff Hamilton plays brushes quite often.
-Clayton Cameron basically only plays brushes.
-Herbie Hancocks album "River - The Joni Letters" is completely played with brushes,
the drummer funnily is Vinnie Colaiuta.
Old 11-16-2010, 04:49 PM

I have some other questions.

1. In "Remember me lover" at around 3:00 moving from the refrain to a kinda Bridge or B-part you are doin a crazy fill over the toms, but backwards.

How do you coordinate that? What is the sticking?

2. When thinking about the old drummer of porcupine tree, what comes in your head? Did you copy some of the things from him,
or fills, Maybe you can say somethin in generell about Chris.

3. When thinkin about "Drive the hearse" (which is an incredibly beautiful song ( !!!! )), how do you start thinkin ( or feelin ) about what you wanna express in that song.
How is the progress about what you wanna express in that song or another.

Thanks Gavin!

Last edited by crystalfunky; 11-16-2010 at 08:31 PM.
Old 11-17-2010, 11:01 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Florian

Just curious as to what your mix is in your IEMs when you play live. Do you mix more of your set or more of the other PT fellas?

I try to have an even balance of everyone. It's hard to make a good mix when your own instrument is making so much noise to start with. If you're playing keyboards it would be a different story.

Hi y0avz

I saw your performance on the modern drummer festival (which was great btw),and after
watching and hearing some of your fills it brings me to the question..How do you know where the one is, do you count along during the fill, or is it an instinct kind of thing..

I always know where 'one' is. When I play a fill I relate it to the pulse and the time signature.

Hi lperry

You recently said that Half Light is surprisingly difficult to play on drums. Is that because it's hard to keep the sparse slow tempo flowing, or are you referring to something else?

Yes it's hard to keep a slow sparse tempo - and play just quarter notes on the ride whilst playing the other stuff between the bass drum and snare drum.

Hi daniele

I've listen a beautiful album Of Nik Kershaw "The works", and Jeff Porcaro e Vinnie Colaiuta, in this album, reminded me of you. It was one of your influences?

Yes I remember listening to that record back in the '80s and really liking it.

Hi moncholo

My question is regarding your drumming on Black Dahlia. Your grooves on that song are just so laid back and played with wonderful feel and sound.
Did you play all of the song with brushes in one take?
During the verses, are you riding 16ths on the snare with your right hand and 8th notes with your left foot on the hihat?

Yes I think I played it one take - I had to prepare a stick to be right next to the ride cymbal so I could grab it really quick at the change over point. I don't think there's any hi hat foot stuff going on in the verses at all.

I always liked the way Steve Gadd and Jeff Hamilton played brushes. They seem to make great musical sense to my ears.

Hi crystalfunky

In "Remember me lover" at around 3:00 moving from the refrain to a kinda Bridge or B-part you are doin a crazy fill over the toms, but backwards.
How do you coordinate that? What is the sticking?

How do you mean "backwards"? It just goes up the toms RLRLRLR

2. When thinking about the old drummer of porcupine tree, what comes in your head? Did you copy some of the things from him, or fills

I had to learn a lot of the old songs that Chris had played on. So I took the parts that he'd created and tried to play them in my own way. He's a mighty fine drummer!

3. When thinkin about "Drive the hearse" (which is an incredibly beautiful song ( !!!! )), how do you start thinkin ( or feelin ) about what you wanna express in that song.

I just listen to it and try to play it as musically sympathetic as I can.

Cheers
Gavin