DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Drums

Drums All about Drums and Drum Kits

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 11-15-2010, 12:20 AM
bignino bignino is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Posts: 11
Default TAMA Superstar vs Yamaha Rock Tour

I'm looking to buy a good mid-range kit for playing rock. I have re-searched the market and it seems that these two drumsets are some of the best for the money.

Which one would you recommend and why?
__________________
Check out my band: http://www.myspace.com/553806619
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-17-2010, 04:54 PM
markthedrum markthedrum is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 47
Default Re: TAMA Superstar vs Yamaha Rock Tour

Well the Tama Superstar Hyperdrive kits come with die cast hoops, so they would be my choice over the rock tours.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-17-2010, 06:12 PM
Schlagzeuger Schlagzeuger is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 3
Default Re: TAMA Superstar vs Yamaha Rock Tour

Well, to me they're apples and oranges. Tama has a completely different sound than Yamaha. Personally, on drum tone alone, I would give it to Yamaha hands down. (Also, Yamaha's finish quality have always been top-notch compared to Tama) Eventhough both companies are Japanese, they seem to approach drum making from completely different angles. I suggest you go down to your local store and try them out. Tama uses diecast hoops (as mentioned previously) that, with their starcast mounting system, puts a lot of weight on top head from the start and therefore tends to make the drum kind of "pitchy". Their tuning range (on their hyperdrive sizes)is also very narrow offering limited tuning range. You're usuall stuck with tuning the drums either really high or really low. Yamaha's range is much larger offering you a larger variety of tuning options, AND drumhead selection. If you like "bite" then Tama sounds like a good choice. On the other hand, if you want variety, full-bodied tone with good bottom end, then go with Yamaha.

If I'm not mistaken, the Yahama Rock Tour ususally doesn't come with a snare and are often sold as 3pc's.( I don't know if this is a deal-breaker for you.)

*Also, I would consider looking into the Pearl Vision VBX and VMX lines of drums or possibly the Sonor Force 3007's. Those two companies are offering a LOT of drum for the $$$ these days. Hope this helps!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-17-2010, 06:31 PM
laaBeats's Avatar
laaBeats laaBeats is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 27
Default Re: TAMA Superstar vs Yamaha Rock Tour

I currently own a Tama Superstar Hyperdrive custom kit that I play live, and honestly, I get complimented about the sound of the kit at every show. I don't know much about Yamaha kits, but since I've owned this kit (2 years) I've heard nothing but good things from sound guys, other drummers, strangers, etc... I use Remo Vintage Emperors on them, and if tuned just right, they sound very "professional." The shorter rack toms do make them easier to tune and they also give you a very big sound considering the size of the toms. With the exception of my Ludwig Legacy Classic I just ordered, I've never been more satisfied with a purchase. Hyperdrive is a great kit for the money.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-18-2010, 11:54 PM
bignino bignino is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Posts: 11
Default Re: TAMA Superstar vs Yamaha Rock Tour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlagzeuger View Post
Well, to me they're apples and oranges. Tama has a completely different sound than Yamaha. Personally, on drum tone alone, I would give it to Yamaha hands down. (Also, Yamaha's finish quality have always been top-notch compared to Tama) Eventhough both companies are Japanese, they seem to approach drum making from completely different angles. I suggest you go down to your local store and try them out. Tama uses diecast hoops (as mentioned previously) that, with their starcast mounting system, puts a lot of weight on top head from the start and therefore tends to make the drum kind of "pitchy". Their tuning range (on their hyperdrive sizes)is also very narrow offering limited tuning range. You're usuall stuck with tuning the drums either really high or really low. Yamaha's range is much larger offering you a larger variety of tuning options, AND drumhead selection. If you like "bite" then Tama sounds like a good choice. On the other hand, if you want variety, full-bodied tone with good bottom end, then go with Yamaha.

If I'm not mistaken, the Yahama Rock Tour ususally doesn't come with a snare and are often sold as 3pc's.( I don't know if this is a deal-breaker for you.)

*Also, I would consider looking into the Pearl Vision VBX and VMX lines of drums or possibly the Sonor Force 3007's. Those two companies are offering a LOT of drum for the $$$ these days. Hope this helps!
Quote:
Originally Posted by laaBeats View Post
I currently own a Tama Superstar Hyperdrive custom kit that I play live, and honestly, I get complimented about the sound of the kit at every show. I don't know much about Yamaha kits, but since I've owned this kit (2 years) I've heard nothing but good things from sound guys, other drummers, strangers, etc... I use Remo Vintage Emperors on them, and if tuned just right, they sound very "professional." The shorter rack toms do make them easier to tune and they also give you a very big sound considering the size of the toms. With the exception of my Ludwig Legacy Classic I just ordered, I've never been more satisfied with a purchase. Hyperdrive is a great kit for the money.
Thank you soo much for your answers! I agree that Tama Superstar Hyperdrive seems like a very very good deal compared to what you get = 6 peaces with hardware for 1390 Euros. http://www.thomann.de/dk/tama_sl62hz...star_hyper.htm I have a budget of about 2700 Euros and this deal therefore seems perfect as I woul also be able to buy some cymbals. Therefore, I have decided to disregard Yamaha Rock Tour. Just as you, Schlagzeuger, said, it cant be compared to that Tama sound.

BUT, just as it happens I have found another set for almost the same price, but without hardware. Tama Starclassic Performer http://www.thomann.de/dk/tama_px44zs..._folie_ddd.htm I know the sound difference and that Starclassic is their highest series of drums, but I am concered with the depth of the 12x9 tom which I find to be slightly too large compared to the kick drum.

Because the price difference is soo low (I just need 3 stands, hi-hat and two for cymbals), I find it very hard to decide. Starclassic for better for sure, but will I be able to play rock on that set? Is it too small (kck drum) compared to the toms. Please let me know what you think, it would be highly appriciated!

Best Regards,
Nino
__________________
Check out my band: http://www.myspace.com/553806619
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-23-2010, 10:53 AM
bignino bignino is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Posts: 11
Default Re: TAMA Superstar vs Yamaha Rock Tour

Just ordered Tama Starclassic Performer B/B!
__________________
Check out my band: http://www.myspace.com/553806619
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-26-2010, 12:17 AM
bignino bignino is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Posts: 11
Default Re: TAMA Superstar vs Yamaha Rock Tour

Quote:
Originally Posted by bignino View Post
Just ordered Tama Starclassic Performer B/B!
__________________
Check out my band: http://www.myspace.com/553806619
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-26-2010, 01:25 AM
sabiankid97 sabiankid97 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Behind a drum kit
Posts: 5
Default Re: TAMA Superstar vs Yamaha Rock Tour

I really like the sound of the Tama Superstar Maple Kit. Ive never heard the YRT so?

Drum On,
Andrew
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 10:29 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com