DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Drums

Drums All about Drums and Drum Kits

Old 11-01-2010, 12:55 AM

Default 14x8 as main snare?

Does anyone here use a 14x8 snare as their main snare (and not only play heavy metal)?
I'm planning on replacing my stock Tama Superstar 14x5.5 snare with an Ludwig Black Magic and I can't decide whether I should get a 14x6.5 or a 14x8.

I love the sound of really big and deep snares but I thought maybe a 8" deep snare would be a bit overkill for a main purpose snare? What I play and listen to is metal and rock but I still want my snare to be somewhat versatile.

I probably won't sell my Tama snare, has a nice 70's sound for me.

Any thoughts?
Old 11-01-2010, 12:58 AM

Default Re: 14x8 as main snare?

I have a 14x 8 mapex big cat as my main snare and love it. I play rock, punk rock, and alternative and it suits it fine.

Idk if you know who wilco is but their drummer often uses a 14x8 and i would say they are on the softer side of rock/alternative. You can tune the 14x8 in many ways so id imagine you would find a tuning that would give you what you're looking for. Best of luck!
Old 11-01-2010, 01:45 AM

Thanks for your reply!

Could you maybe post a link with a song you know they use a 14x8 snare? I looked them up briefly on youtube and wasn't really my thing (but that's not the issue).

What kind of shell does a Mapex Big Cat have? Black Magic is brass, but you probably already knew that.

My fear is that the 8" deep would give to much of a "huge" sound when it's not really needed. Regardless of the tuning, which I guess would be something in between medium and low. That's why I was thinking that the 6.5" deep would be better.

Sadly none of my local music shops has the 8", only the 6.5" which I will try out probably next week. I'll ask if they could import a 8", maybe I'm in luck.

But to tell from this video, the 6.5 really sounds great.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxTruMY0Dkc

Haven't found the 8" on youtube. Except for one, but it's eq'd. Sounds great though.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1Mjxw0xb-s

Well, there is this. But it's such crap sound quality on the clip.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9TAd3q5Ft4
Old 11-01-2010, 03:12 AM

The Mapex big cat is maple/ walnut. The kit i have is a walnut hybrid and came with a 6.5 snare. The 6.5 snare sounded real good, but the 8x14 i got has a much more "full" sound. I tune my toms kind of low too, and with a 20x 22 kick the new snare matches and just blends with the whole set much better. What kind of kit are you going to be putting the new snare on?
Old 11-01-2010, 04:18 AM

i have a 7x14 walnut/maple segmented snare
i love it, its a true masterpiece
only con with it is that its got too much overtones, youll need to buy your self a muffler to dry the sound (if you dont like the overtones) but i say go for it; the overall sound has a great body!
Old 11-01-2010, 01:00 PM

drthemez: I have a Tama Superstar birch/bass. It's their new line of superstars, not the 80's one. I'm thinking on maybe replace this kit with a 80's or 90's super, imperial, gran or artstar with deeper toms but that's in a distant future for now.

ecpietscheck: From what I've heard on the videos I've shown, the Black Magic don't have that much overtones. I don't mind some overtones, but I do have some moongel if it where to become a problem.
Thanks mate, I sure hope my local drum shop can import a 8" so I can try it out. Don't want to buy one over the internet I haven't heard live.
Old 11-01-2010, 02:01 PM
Silver Member

Two things. First, the gun to my head you get one snare pick now scenario I pick a 14x8 maple.

Second my 13x7 black magic has a lot of overtones, and ringyness to it. Even with the cast hoops, and a thick evans ST head. It's still a metal drum. I always put atleast 1/2 a piece of moon jell on it. I imagine the 14x8 would be similar, just deeper. If you don't want to risk having it sound like a huge deep drum all the time then get the 14x6.5, which is still a big snare.
Old 11-01-2010, 02:08 PM

I have a 14x6.5 stainless steel custom drum from MRP Drums. The thing weighs about 32 pounds and can melt your face off if you crank it ala Stewart Copeland... or it can give you the warmest backbeat you could ask for if you tune it low.

I'm sure the 14x8 would be just as versatile but I would probably go with a wood rather than a metal. I had to dampen the batter head of my beast even when tuned very low to get that 'just right' sound.

I don't know if it'll come into play much with you, but you may also want to consider weight if you're moving in and out of gigs and studios all the time.

Hope this helps and feel free to PM if you have any questions.

AJ
Old 11-01-2010, 09:13 PM

Evilbagua: Why maple? Not as many overtones?
I have been thinking on a brass snare because it's so populare among rock and metal drummers (and many many others types of drummers of course) and I love the sound of Iron Maiden's drummers Clive Burr and Nicko Mcbrain. Both of which used BB's.

Lots of overtones you say? Hmm, well... I guess I just have to try one out myself.
Guess it has some overtones, but nothing that annoys me when you hear it used in a beat.

As it is now I'm leaning towards the 6.5".

AJNystrom: Again, why wood rather then metal?
Make sense alot of what you are saying. I haven't really got to the point where I do loads of gigs and studio sessions. But I'm getting there and I will consider the weight when I make my decision. Thanks for the tip.
Old 11-01-2010, 10:05 PM
Platinum Member

14 by 8 is the size of a lot of people's floor toms! I'd say go for it. You'll get a big sound with a lot of throat. Whether the snare is too much for a situation depends on how hard you play it.
Old 11-01-2010, 10:55 PM
Platinum Member

I've used a 14x8 maple snare as my main snare for years and I love it. Tune it up and you get plenty of crack but the tone is still meaty. Tune it low and you can get a punch in the gut sound shallower snares simply cannot achieve.
Old 11-01-2010, 10:57 PM

ill restate what i said at first
i love my snare
the sound is awesome, it has a solid body
youll need to buy a muffler though...
Old 11-01-2010, 11:55 PM
Silver Member

I have a 14x5 world max black dawg,which is brass with black nickel plating,And is the same maker that makes the luddy black magic,pearl sensitone,and pork pie black hog I think,all great bang for the buck snares,so if you could audition an 8 deep of any one of those,you would have a pretty good idea of what the Magic would sound like.The world max I have has a good tuning range,and I have heard the 6.5 will tune high if you need it to,and I imagine the eight would work pretty well at high tunings for an eight inch drum,but I would audition it first,sometimes an extreme depth won't be as nice as a different depth even if every thing else is the same.Audition the 6.5,and if you still are not sure,see if the shop would let you exchange the eight for a 6.5 if you didn't like it.Every well made brass 6.5 I have played has been a pretty versatile drum,and a lot of people have one as a go to/ get you through any type of gig drum. If you want dryer and warmer a hammered model will do that.
Old 11-02-2010, 12:09 AM
Silver Member

[quote=HokosPokos;760843]Evilbagua: Why maple? Not as many overtones?
I have been thinking on a brass snare because it's so populare among rock and metal drummers (and many many others types of drummers of course) and I love the sound of Iron Maiden's drummers Clive Burr and Nicko Mcbrain. Both of which used BB's.

Lots of overtones you say? Hmm, well... I guess I just have to try one out myself.
Guess it has some overtones, but nothing that annoys me when you hear it used in a beat.

As it is now I'm leaning towards the 6.5".
QUOTE]

I perfer the warmth of wood to brass, and it still pops like a gunshot when cranked with a big strainer on it.I like brass drums, but like I said if I only have one for recording/live then it's maple. 14x8 is an awesome size, but 6.5 is more the standard of a deep rock drum, and has been for years. Also If you ever need to sell it I think more people would want to get a 6.5 than an 8. Nobody's wanted my 13x7 I've had on CL for weeks for 1/2 what I payed lol.
Old 11-02-2010, 12:34 AM
Silver Member

I've found 8x14 snares to be sensitive and versatile. Here is a vid of a friend of mine playing a Tempus carbon kevlar drum: http://www.youtube.com/user/bleener#p/a/u/1/0sGpZwhzLF0
Old 11-02-2010, 12:00 PM
Silver Member

go ahead and forget about ghost notes... unless you really know how how to tune your drum for sensitivity. small ghost notes just dont translate well through a drum that big when u have to move that much air... thats why the biggest size i use in the studio is 6.5x14
Old 11-02-2010, 03:08 PM
Gold Member

The big cat is a great snare, for the price its hard to beat. It has a thin shell so resonant and you get the warmth of maple with the projection from the walnut. I tuned mine up tight and its amaingly sensitive for its size. Tuned down low its 80's hair band ballady. Makes a good main snare.
Old 11-02-2010, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokosPokos View Post
AJNystrom: Again, why wood rather then metal?
Make sense alot of what you are saying. I haven't really got to the point where I do loads of gigs and studio sessions. But I'm getting there and I will consider the weight when I make my decision. Thanks for the tip.
For me, it's a matter of personal preference. I prefer the sound of wood over the sound of metal in certain case. Of course in a perfect world I'd love to have one wood and one metal... alas that whole money tree idea hasn't panned out yet.

I like the warmth that a maple 14x8 shell can give you if you need a fat backbeat or crank that bad boy up for some real crack. I get a lot of warmth out of my 6.5" stainless steel monster when tuned low but I'd hate to be lugging around the extra weight and I simply can't afford the cost of another metal snare right now. If neither are a factor for you and you simply have to have a metal snare I'm not going to stand in your way. More power to you my friend.

~A.J.
Old 11-02-2010, 08:45 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishbones View Post
go ahead and forget about ghost notes... unless you really know how how to tune your drum for sensitivity. small ghost notes just dont translate well through a drum that big when u have to move that much air... thats why the biggest size i use in the studio is 6.5x14
Ghost notes seem to do just fine in the clip I posted.

http://www.youtube.com/user/bleener#p/a/u/1/0sGpZwhzLF0
Old 11-02-2010, 09:46 PM

I was at a performance a couple of weeks ago where the drummer was using an 8x14 Tama as a main snare -- with a blues band. I'm sure it sounded good from where he was, but from out front it got a little lost in the sound of the guitar. By that I mean that it fell in the same range as the guitar and vocals, and so it was hidden from the audience more than it would have been otherwise. So it was a big sound that came out kind of wimpy where the audience was.

I'd say if you're going to use a drum that deep, think long and hard about the mix.

I recently made a 7x14 in a much harder wood that combines that deep-shell power with a higher pitch -- so the customer got a deep drum that both projects and cuts through. Works very well for a main snare.
Old 11-02-2010, 10:40 PM

I use an SJC 14 x 8 maple snare as my primary and have a Truth 14 x 8 Brass on order. I love the sound of 14 x 8 drums as well as the size. I have owned and own different size snares and I just keep coming back to the 8 inch depth. I've been trying to get DW to make me some 8 inch metal snares but no dice so far...

I can get ghost notes just fine, its all in the technique and tuning. I will admit when I demo and the song requires a lot of intricate ghost note or subtle snare stuff I will usually use my 6.5 x 13 dunnett. Don't let the size intimidate you. The ludwig 8 inch is a great drum, I love it, and if I didn't already have a Truth Brass on order I'd consider getting one.

note - I play primarily heavier stuff (think deftones / thrice) but I regularly play other stuff and have used my deeper (7 and 8 inchers) with no problem

Dunnett. Ocheltree. DW. Zildjian.
Old kit pics
Old 11-04-2010, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post
14 by 8 is the size of a lot of people's floor toms!
I'd say go for it. You'll get a big sound with a lot of throat. Whether the snare is too much for a situation depends on how hard you play it.
Well, who wouldn't like to be able to say that to another drummer? "Hey! my snare is as big as your floor tom!"
Yeah, truetrue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilbagua View Post
...Nobody's wanted my 13x7 I've had on CL for weeks for 1/2 what I payed lol.
Have you tried ebay? Post this link in the description and some punkdrummer will hopefully buy it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICAF5pwlRrU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
...Here is a vid of a friend of mine playing a Tempus carbon kevlar drum: http://www.youtube.com/user/bleener#p/a/u/1/0sGpZwhzLF0
Tell your friend he has a beautiful sounding snare (and kit! I love the china. Would definetly get me a 20" if didn't cost $350), liked it better with the triple flange hoops though.

I've read all your posts and thank you all for helping me. The store couldn't import a 8" BB just to test it (and even if they could, it would take them 4-6 MONTHS to get it in stock. What's up with that?) but they did have a 6.5" in stock so I will try that snare out along with other brass and maple to find my perfect snare. You have given me alot to think about when I choose it.
Thanks again everybody.
Old 11-04-2010, 07:11 PM

My main snare is 14 x 9 Brass. Typically tuned up fairly tight. Vintage Emperor over Hazy 200 with a 14 strand wire set.

About the only tuning this size drum won't do really well is up really really tight to get a poppy "piccolo" kind of sound. Everything else is win. I typically run it fairly tight, bit tighter on the bottom, with fairly loose wires and get a great all around snare sound. Loosen up the top just a bit and you can start to unleash a seemingly bottomless pit of lovely brass shell ring. Looser still on top and bottom and the drum gets fatter and fatter. For recording a balladsy big fat warm snare, looser tuning with just a dab of gel or a piece of an e ring to keep the shell from dominating is easy and reproducible.
Old 11-05-2010, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewed View Post
My main snare is 14 x 9 Brass. Typically tuned up fairly tight. Vintage Emperor over Hazy 200 with a 14 strand wire set.

About the only tuning this size drum won't do really well is up really really tight to get a poppy "piccolo" kind of sound. Everything else is win. I typically run it fairly tight, bit tighter on the bottom, with fairly loose wires and get a great all around snare sound. Loosen up the top just a bit and you can start to unleash a seemingly bottomless pit of lovely brass shell ring. Looser still on top and bottom and the drum gets fatter and fatter. For recording a balladsy big fat warm snare, looser tuning with just a dab of gel or a piece of an e ring to keep the shell from dominating is easy and reproducible.
That pretty much describes exactly what I want from my snare. Though 14x9 intimidates even me!

EDIT:
What does that baby weigh? Do you have any recordings done with it? Would be great to hear it roar.

Last edited by HokosPokos; 11-07-2010 at 01:26 AM. Reason: no point making a new post?
Old 11-27-2010, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNystrom View Post
I have a 14x6.5 stainless steel custom drum from MRP Drums. The thing weighs about 32 pounds and can melt your face off if you crank it ala Stewart Copeland... or it can give you the warmest backbeat you could ask for if you tune it low.

I'm sure the 14x8 would be just as versatile but I would probably go with a wood rather than a metal. I had to dampen the batter head of my beast even when tuned very low to get that 'just right' sound.

I don't know if it'll come into play much with you, but you may also want to consider weight if you're moving in and out of gigs and studios all the time.

Hope this helps and feel free to PM if you have any questions.

AJ
Sorry for the off-top, but I have the same snare and it's really great for the common music situation.