DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 05-28-2010, 01:24 AM

Default Recording Drums - Trying to get a specific sound

I'm going for a particular sound with recording drums. The sound I'm want can be heard in this song here, Four Tet - Sun Drums and Soil. I hear this style in a lot of songs (ie. Broken Social Scene, Chemical Brothers) but I can never quite perfect it myself.

I understand that you heavily compress the entire kit to get that distinct sound during the part with the crashes but I don't know what the best settings are. Ie. attack, release, threshold, ratio.

As for the actual drum sounds themselves, how do you think they were recorded? They sound very jazzy/loungy. I'd love to get my drums sounding like that. I'm guessing everything is mic'd very openly? Glyn Johns type setup? I usually double mic every drum but maybe that's the wrong approach.

Any feedback would be great! I understand that this is more of a drum playing/technique site but I really didn't know where else to go. If anyone knows great audio recording sites as well, that would be great.

Last edited by jordexciu; 05-28-2010 at 01:36 AM.