DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 05-26-2010, 01:28 PM

Default Please help!

Hey there guys I finally signed up to drummer world wooooo. Been reading these forums for years so glad to get involved.

I am currently dong a music degree and for my dissertation I really really need your help for the following questions:

1. When learning drums can you name any games, exercises or sayings that helped you learn a particular exercise (I.e double stroke = momma-dadda)

2.What helped motivate you to keep learning the drums when you became stuck on a certain exercise?

3. Could you name some instructional drum books that really helped you learn and why?

4. Lastly did you ever loose the passion for playing drums? if so what brought the passion back?

Thanks you so much guys!!!
Old 05-26-2010, 04:22 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Please help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cygnusdrummer View Post
1. When learning drums can you name any games, exercises or sayings that helped you learn a particular exercise (I.e double stroke = momma-dadda)
my first drum teacher, who was old when i was a little kid and i'm getting up there in years myself now, had a whole bunch of games like that. he had a silly saying for learning a 15 stroke roll, which went "did you ever start a-drumming in the middle of the night"? that fits a 15 stroke roll perfectly!

Quote:
2.What helped motivate you to keep learning the drums when you became stuck on a certain exercise?
i still get stuck on exercises. when i do i slow them down with the metronome. i've learned that almost anything is playable if you slow it down enough.

Quote:
3. Could you name some instructional drum books that really helped you learn and why?
the book "syncopation" is one that's really helped me a lot. that's because it's so flexible and adaptable. it can be played straight, or with a swing feel. the different voices can be applied to different limbs. it's really amazing what you can do with that book.

Quote:
4. Lastly did you ever loose the passion for playing drums? if so what brought the passion back?
i lost passion for drumming after i went to college and found i couldn't have a drum kit in my dorm room. i continued to pursue it sporadically after college but i still had noise issues with playing in an apartment. also, by that time i'd lost track of my musician pals so i had no one to jam with anymore. i finally lost interest and dropped out for quite a few years.

i regained the fire several years ago when i discovered electronic drum kits. once i got one of those i could practice my ass off without pissing everyone off. my kit also made it easy to play along with my favorite songs. after a year or so of that i started meeting other musicians and getting in bands. now i have an acoustic kit again and i'm fully into it, even more than when i was a teenager.
Old 05-27-2010, 01:19 AM

Quote:

Thanks you so much guys!!!
Number 3 ... Gary Chester [the New Breed] changed my life. When I got into the systems of left hand, right hand, right foot, left foot. You realized how you could learn to play anything. You build up from one limb ... and add the second, then the third. In time you can learn any complex beat by breaking it down. This book is completely logical and shows you how to build some very complex stuff.

Number 4 ... Yes, there have been dry spells. You get the passion back ... by playing for others and realizing how music affects their lives. It is not so much about the drums or the drummer .... it is about the words and stories of the songs and how people's lives are affected. If you get that ... you will never lose the passion.

Premium Drum Lesson Program
http://playdrumsinaband.com/ blog
Old 05-27-2010, 01:56 AM

Thank you so much guys!

Stick control and syncopation are normally mentioned when I ask what people's most inspiring books are. Do you think this is because they are very open ended and kind of leave it up the player to make use of the exercies how they want?

Instead of the normal " heres exercise 9.... play it on these drums like this"
Old 05-27-2010, 02:53 AM
Silver Member

i count david lettermen when playing five-lets

da - vid - lett - er - men
Old 05-30-2010, 04:12 PM

any one else? Pleeease
Old 05-30-2010, 04:41 PM

I started out in school so I learned to read. I think reading is very important. Learning to read is kind of a game in itself...

Like anything, playing the drums is a matter of maturity. Some things can only come when levels of maturity is reached. When you get stuck on something, then it's probably time to move on. When you have matured a little bit more, return to it and you usually find improvement comes..

So, don't try to become an expert in one thing. Practice with balance and you will improve. When you get back around to the beginning you will be on a higher level and so you take everything up to the next notch. Keep doing this as long as you play and you will constantly become a more advanced and mature drummer.

First of all, Music in itself provides great instruction. Listen, Listen, Listen.

A great DVD for your hands is JoJo Mayer's DVD Weapons for the Modern Drummer.
I have not played a lot of Jazz and decided I wanted to so John Riley's "The Art of Bop Drumming" was suggest here at the forum. It is a great book.

I have begun taking in as much as I can, so my take is to learn as much as you can. One DVD or book isn't going to expand my thinking enough, so I plan on moving on to something new when I finish with one.

Yes, I stopped playing professionally when I was 27. Had to straighten my life our or die..! Played with friends. Then got sick with Fibromyalgia and had to give drums up completely.. Wish I would have did it different. I really want to get back to my drums and am making it happen. I got a new set of drums and am acting like I am starting over as far as education goes. I played drums from a musical standpoint and was only somewhat technical. Now I am working out technical things. I want to play out (gig) again. I am working toward that..