DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 05-26-2010, 03:00 AM

Default Physical Metronome

Hey Drummers. OK so a while ago a while ago I remember watching this thing about this technology that allows these dancers to dance perfectly in time by a system of some sort of vibrating tabs placed on their bodies ( I am trying to recall this from memory- I might remember it wrong in some ways). Anyway, it made me think of its application into musical timing and how something similar could be used to physically keep time by vibrating in the same manner that a metronome would by sound. I dunno if this is already a used idea, but I thought it was a cool idea and I am just asking you guys if it would be as practical, better, or worse than an audio metronome, or if it is simply useless. What do you think?
Old 05-26-2010, 03:09 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Physical Metronome

Buttkicker?

:-}
Old 05-26-2010, 03:32 AM
"Uncle Larry"

I think it's a hell of an idea. Make a concealable, wearable metronome that taps thumps on a body part of your choosing lol. Seriously, ambient noise wouldn't be a factor, you could record to a click without hearing the click, you can always have freakin perfect meter and no one would ever know your packing...I see a new product. If you can't keep good time with that, then upgrade to the electro shocker ha ha.
Old 05-26-2010, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
I think it's a hell of an idea. Make a concealable, wearable metronome that taps thumps on a body part of your choosing lol. Seriously, ambient noise wouldn't be a factor, you could record to a click without hearing the click, you can always have freakin perfect meter and no one would ever know your packing...I see a new product. If you can't keep good time with that, then upgrade to the electro shocker ha ha.
Yeah now I have to hope no one steals it for me putting it online lol. How do i delete this? I'm sure you guys would keep a secret right? Perhaps i should read the thread on how to get your ideas out into companies' heads and money in your pockets.

Yeah another idea, if that doesn't work i'll follow your idea with the electro shocker. It will force you to play perfect timing... or else!
Old 05-26-2010, 04:58 AM
Platinum Member

There's apparently a e-drum kit (forgot the name) that has a metronome function where, if you are out of time then the note isn't heard - and you can adjust its sensitivity.

Perhaps not quite as brutal a punishment as sending electric shocks to your gonads for microtiming errors, although not applicable in this context ...
Old 05-26-2010, 10:11 AM
Silver Member

I've had the idea of a pulsating metronome more than 20 years ago, so yes I think it's a good idea ;-) Such a device now exists, but I haven't tried it.
Look at these links:
http://www.petersontuners.com/index.cfm?category=132

http://www.petersontuners.com/index.cfm?category=159

Cheers
Alain
Old 05-26-2010, 03:56 PM

hey guys...the peterson "body beat" you"ve referred to gets pretty good reviews but may be cheaply made evidently, and it may be difficult to make instant(or even quick) new tempo settings with the body beat. i can't say for sure since i haven't seen it, but those would be fatal flaws for sure....
assuming those reviews are accurate, does anyone know how the vibrating clip actually works- in other words: since it is sold separately, would it be feasible that a drummer could purchase it separately and plug it into a more "pro-friendly" metronome from a different company, or to the source where you receive your click for programmed tunes, and still get the vibrating pulse? (i'm technologically challenged)

Last edited by iwantmemoney; 05-26-2010 at 05:11 PM.
Old 05-26-2010, 07:48 PM
Platinum Member

I was kind of serious in my previous post. Has anyone ever tried hooking one of these http://www.thebuttkicker.com/musicia...ts/dtm_kit.htm up to their click track? Normally it's used to help hear (feel) the attack of the bass guitar and your own kick without having to put a big sub next to the kit.
Old 05-26-2010, 09:01 PM

haha! hey aeolian! i hadn't paid too much attention cuz i thought something called "buttkicker" must be like an 18" subwoofer that we would have to find room for in already tight quarters. but this is really cool(not cheap though). do you connect it to the click and if so,what are your results? i'm extremely interested. in the past i used ear buds, not favoring large phones(i want to hear the music!). that became reduced to one ear bud, which i used for well over a year when i finally realized i was doing damage. and to this day i pay for it with the kind of hearing loss where i can't hear well whenever there's background noise. so it's a real issue, i'm sure to a lot of players. thanks!
Old 05-26-2010, 09:46 PM
Silver Member

i am a little skeptical as to the effectiveness of these devices. i feel the pulsating would be to long of a "click". audio metronomes have very short tight clicks to help you recognize if you are a little off the beat. i think a touch metronome would cause sloppy timing.

i have never used one tho so i don't really know, but i would try it out for sure.
Old 05-26-2010, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollyanna View Post
... sending electric shocks to your gonads for microtiming errors ...
Easy for YOU to say...! @:-) I don't like the idea myself Polly...!!!
Old 05-26-2010, 11:20 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Could also double as a husband rousing device.

Him: "Not tonight honey, early day tomorrow"

Her: "We'll just see about that"

ZZZAPPP!!

Him: "Is this fast enough?"
Old 05-27-2010, 03:18 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantmemoney View Post
haha! hey aeolian! i hadn't paid too much attention cuz i thought something called "buttkicker" must be like an 18" subwoofer that we would have to find room for in already tight quarters. but this is really cool(not cheap though). do you connect it to the click and if so,what are your results? i'm extremely interested. in the past i used ear buds, not favoring large phones(i want to hear the music!). that became reduced to one ear bud, which i used for well over a year when i finally realized i was doing damage. and to this day i pay for it with the kind of hearing loss where i can't hear well whenever there's background noise. so it's a real issue, i'm sure to a lot of players. thanks!
They're used in lieu of a sub. In large venues, it's not uncommon to have at least a single 18 on the drum riser. Lots of folks with IEM's use them so they don't need to have blowout bass levels in the ears. Also, by not having a big sub blowing at the kit, it simplifies the micing of the kick. When you have a big sub right there, it rings in the drum and you have to gate things fairly tightly. More complication.

The other thing with them is that they take a lot of power and have a very low impedance. So you can't just hook them up to any cheap amp. Most reliable set up is to use their proprietary amp which adds even more to the cost.
Old 05-27-2010, 06:21 PM

big comittment in other words. still would like to try sometime. thanks.
Old 05-28-2010, 02:12 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipJohns View Post
Easy for YOU to say...! @:-) I don't like the idea myself Polly...!!!
Men aren't the only ones sensitive in that vicinity, Chip :) Think of it as the modern equivalent to piano teachers' ruler smack over the knuckles - quite a motivator!

Does anyone know which e-kit has that timing checker that will only make a sound if the beat is played in time? I think that would be a great tool for improving microtiming.
Old 05-28-2010, 03:11 AM
Silver Member

roland e-kits have that function.
Old 05-28-2010, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollyanna View Post
Men aren't the only ones sensitive in that vicinity, Chip :) Think of it as the modern equivalent to piano teachers' ruler smack over the knuckles - quite a motivator!

Does anyone know which e-kit has that timing checker that will only make a sound if the beat is played in time? I think that would be a great tool for improving microtiming.
Isn't that called Rock Band??? Hahaha no seriously in that game if you miss a note it makes a stick on stick sound so yeah you need to play right or else no sound.