DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 04-25-2010, 11:38 AM

Default Jess Lidyard Hi-Hat Pattern On Tubeway Armys "Are Friends Electric"

Hi drummer buddies,

Can anyone out there tell me whether drummer Jess Lidyard is playing straight 16th note rhythms on the hi-hat with accents, or just a variety of dynamic levels from the beginning, until the end of the song. If possible, does anyone know if there is a certain technique that he uses to get those hi-hat rhythm sounds ie. moeller or push pull.

Regards

harrydragon

Last edited by harrydragon; 04-25-2010 at 11:59 AM.
Old 04-25-2010, 11:39 AM

Default Re: Jess Lidyard Hi-Hat Pattern On Tubeway Armys "Are Friends Electric"

Ehm, what part of the song?

[edit]If you mean from the start, those are just straight 16th notes with accents every 8th note. I'd say he plays normal upstroke/downstroke, but there's no way of telling what specific technique he uses. It's not very fast, so he wouldn't be using push-pull (which, by the way, I don't even think existed when that was recorded).
Old 04-25-2010, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascul View Post
Ehm, what part of the song?

[edit]If you mean from the start, those are just straight 16th notes with accents every 8th note. I'd say he plays normal upstroke/downstroke, but there's no way of telling what specific technique he uses. It's not very fast, so he wouldn't be using push-pull (which, by the way, I don't even think existed when that was recorded).

Thanks Rascal;692285 for the fast reply,

The hi-hat pattern I was trying to fathom out was from the beginning to the end as it was a consistent pattern. You say it's not very fast, but to me, a self taught novice drummer of 2 years, it does seem pretty fast and when I jam along to it for five and a half minutes, the length of the song, my arms and wrists become very tired. This possibly could be due to lack of practice or shortcomings in my technique
Old 04-25-2010, 12:30 PM

Okay, well, I'm afraid its just a matter of practicing :-) I remember being stuck with Sting's Seven Days for ages before I got my right hand to play that pattern. It's fairly similar to this song in terms of tempo and accents, so I know where you're coming from. The only thing I'm saying is: don't complicate it for yourself by looking for push-pull or specific technical requirements in playing this - it's not necessary.

I'll try to post a video with the kind of technique he uses later today, that'll make it much clearer.