DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 01-28-2010, 10:52 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: Ginger Baker talking garbage....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferret View Post
Ginger Baker is nothing special.

I have looked back through the drummers of this century, and while I was fascinated with moon, and bonham, and rich, and peart, and all of the other awesome drummers from before I was born, I never gave my "best of cream" cd a second listen.. I Get my clapton fix from the yardbirds best.

As a primary double bass drummer, i dont even consider ginger a double kick player, the first really revolutionary double bass player was Joe franco, then dave lombardo. Everyone before those 2 were just players who have double pedals.

I think this guy is just angry that not too many are really gonna remember him, and that he failed to make a name for himself with the next generations (my parents, and then mine) like moon and bonham did. I have no respect for this guy after reading these quotes from him, it sounds like he just trying to repair his damaged ego for never being one of the greats he always wanted to think of himself as.

It's actually really disappointing for me to read that an established drummer has no idea what makes a good drummer. All ironic skill comparisons aside, I don't think any other drummer except for buddy rich (also a notorious jerk off) would ever say this about someone elses music, thats a really low blow.
I agree that Ginger wasn't a double bass player and in fairness i never liked his playing to start with. As for true pioneers of double playing you missed Les Binks (early Judas Priest) and Cozey Powell. Now on the whole ego thing, yeah he sounds like a sniveling human being with his head shoved so far up his ass that it got stuck somewhere along the way. I've heard musicians come out with comments about being great and how they are the next this and the next that but never calling legends 'not exceptional'. As for Bruce he just sounds like a prick, I was never a fan of Cream so it doesn't bother me at all to say that the musicians in that band were nothing short of 'unremarkable'. Sorry to all those who like Cream but it is my opinion.
Old 01-28-2010, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT1 View Post
I agree that Ginger wasn't a double bass player and in fairness i never liked his playing to start with. As for true pioneers of double playing you missed Les Binks (early Judas Priest) and Cozey Powell. Now on the whole ego thing, yeah he sounds like a sniveling human being with his head shoved so far up his ass that it got stuck somewhere along the way. I've heard musicians come out with comments about being great and how they are the next this and the next that but never calling legends 'not exceptional'. As for Bruce he just sounds like a prick, I was never a fan of Cream so it doesn't bother me at all to say that the musicians in that band were nothing short of 'unremarkable'. Sorry to all those who like Cream but it is my opinion.
Unremarkable? Holy crap. Unremarkable?? What were you listening to back then? The Bee Gees? Partrige Family? Monkees? Old guys spout off. Thats what your doing and I am too so why can't they? That's what they do.
Hey Clapton sucks too..what the heck.
Old 01-28-2010, 12:38 PM
Rebel

It's very simple, Ginger does not know how to manage his ego. Maybe is a way to hide his fears.

Aside, now Les Binks and Cozy Powell - are excellent double bass pro-drummers.

Last edited by Ian Williams; 01-28-2010 at 05:23 PM.
Old 01-28-2010, 02:58 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim_gregory View Post
Unremarkable? Holy crap. Unremarkable?? What were you listening to back then? The Bee Gees? Partrige Family? Monkees? Old guys spout off. Thats what your doing and I am too so why can't they? That's what they do.
Hey Clapton sucks too..what the heck.
Ok ok with the exception of Clapton, the rest does nothing for me at all really, although Bruce had some good bass moments. In my opinion the band (collectively) was nothing special and i probably don't live up to any standard that Baker has, so sue me. If you compare the musicianship (especially Ginger) of Cream to Led Zeppelin and The Who, i would say they are rather unremarkable. Also i might speak differently if i had been born back then and had listened to that when it first came about and i hold my hands up to that, but i wasn't and i guess that doesn't entitle me to an opinion huh? People tell me that Judas Priest, AC/DC, Fear Factory and Rammstein suck all of the time (especially the latter two because we should all just live in the past and not let music change), but they can say what they like because it doesn't bother me so it shouldn't bother you what i think of Cream. I'm not an 'old guy' spouting off, i'm 21 and i'm trying to express an opinion of disliking this particular band without being pounced on by an older member from that era and guess what, it never happens just like it hasn't here, i am not a troll of any kind i just simply don't like Cream, there i will not post any more opinions on this thread about Cream because i have done so already.
Old 01-28-2010, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermac View Post
Ginger's not the only one to talk bollocks,

Here's what Jack Bruce has to say about Zep and Jimmy Page in a recent interview:

"F**k off, Zeppelin, you’re crap. You’ve always been crap and you’ll never be anything else. The worst thing is that people believe the crap that they’re sold. Cream is 10 times the band that Led Zeppelin is."

He later added, "What? You’re gonna compare Eric Clapton with that f**king Jimmy Page? Would you really compare that? Page is crap."

Baker and Bruce: two bitter, ungracious old men with no class.
Wow

Clapton is great but limited. Page is technically more gifted than Eric and has a broader range. Clapton sings and writes which makes him a triple threat.

Cream had some great stuff but didn't pioneer new sounds nearly as much as Zep - and I love them both.

As for Gineger/Bonham. Ginger's range is much broader (having said that his jazz playing sounds like a rock drummer plaing jazz. kind of like Gadd) especially worl beats. Both were pioneer's.

It's a shame when people are so bitter that they can't give others props when they are due. Even if you hate them.
Old 01-28-2010, 06:13 PM
motojt

Wow, you guys are pretty pissy. Ginger, Jack, and Eric were and are great. Your comparisons are all opinions, just like Ginger's opinion of John and Keith. By the same token you're all bitter tools (your words) for trashing him.

By the way, Ginger and Eric got along just fine, it was Jack he hated. And even when he (Ginger) doesn't like someone personally, he is able to be honest about their talent. When one interviewer compared Cream to The Hendrix Experience he called them, "Jimi Hendrix with a mediocre rhythm section." He basically said the Jimi and Eric were about equals while Noel and Mitch were nothing compared to him and Jack.

Led Zep and Cream are two of my favorite bands of all time. Depending on my mood one just barely inches its way higher than the other. I will say, however, that I like Ginger better as a drummer. You can always tell when he's playing. Always. I played a fill of his once just to warm up before playing with some guys and they all said, "Hey, Ginger Baker! You want to play some Cream?" I never got the same effect playing a Bonham fill. That said, Bonham f'ing rules! ;)
Old 01-28-2010, 06:23 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by motojt View Post
Wow, you guys are pretty pissy. Ginger, Jack, and Eric were and are great. Your comparisons are all opinions, just like Ginger's opinion of John and Keith. By the same token you're all bitter tools (your words) for trashing him.

By the way, Ginger and Eric got along just fine, it was Jack he hated. And even when he (Ginger) doesn't like someone personally, he is able to be honest about their talent. When one interviewer compared Cream to The Hendrix Experience he called them, "Jimi Hendrix with a mediocre rhythm section." He basically said the Jimi and Eric were about equals while Noel and Mitch were nothing compared to him and Jack.

Led Zep and Cream are two of my favorite bands of all time. Depending on my mood one just barely inches its way higher than the other. I will say, however, that I like Ginger better as a drummer. You can always tell when he's playing. Always. I played a fill of his once just to warm up before playing with some guys and they all said, "Hey, Ginger Baker! You want to play some Cream?" I never got the same effect playing a Bonham fill. That said, Bonham f'ing rules! ;)
Well, says alot about his professionalism. If I played(or had played) in a well-known band, I would not fling crap at other musicians(especially if they were better than me). No wonder he's not as known as Bonham or Moon.
Old 01-28-2010, 06:32 PM
motojt

He's not the CEO of Kraft Foods or the president of any country. He doesn't have to act professionally. Most people I know would applaud his honesty and bluntness. Why does everyone feel the need to be politically correct. Besides, he's ancient. You should see how rude my grandmother is. :p
Old 01-28-2010, 06:37 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
He's not the CEO of Kraft Foods or the president of any country. He doesn't have to act professionally. Most people I know would applaud his honesty and bluntness. Why does everyone feel the need to be politically correct. Besides, he's ancient. You should see how rude my grandmother is. :p
Well, in his statements he sets himself pretttyyy high. I would've understood if he just slurred out some random jabber about Bonham being ugly or something. You're right about the old age-thingy though. One thing that amazes me is how he's still living.. Him and Ronnie Wood that is.
Old 01-28-2010, 06:51 PM
motojt

I think if anyone who's angry at Ginger for his comments wants retribution they should just look at his personal home page and laaaaaaaaaaaaugh: http://ginger-baker.com/ Great drummer.... god awful web site. :|

Oh, and I totally agree on the "still living" remark. He looked like he was half dead back in '67, man! Just goes to show you, drummers have the potential for eternal life. Just don't be a jackass and kill yourself off.
Old 01-28-2010, 08:24 PM
Silver Member

the autobiography of the worlds greatest drummer....?

wow.
Old 01-28-2010, 08:46 PM
Platinum Member

I don't think it's a sign of Ginger's age or going senial or anything like that.

From everything I've ever read, he's always been like this.

Maybe it's getting worse with age, but every interview I've ever read with him, going back 20 years, he's been bitter about something.
Old 01-28-2010, 08:48 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by druid View Post
the autobiography of the worlds greatest drummer....?

wow.
yeah. LOL ! He's got big ones errrr should I say delusional ones ?
Old 01-28-2010, 09:39 PM
motojt

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumEatDrum View Post
I don't think it's a sign of Ginger's age or going senial or anything like that.

From everything I've ever read, he's always been like this.

Maybe it's getting worse with age, but every interview I've ever read with him, going back 20 years, he's been bitter about something.

Heh, yeah that's 100% true. He's always been a grump. People always say I'm a grump too so maybe that's why I like him. ;) I've got his pseudo-instructional DVD, and he seems to get annoyed at some point. I can't remember if it's while he's demoing or during one of the interviews strewn about the video. It's a good video though. Loads better than Tommy Igoe's where he's drunk or hung over or whatever his problem was.
Old 01-28-2010, 09:47 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Heh, yeah that's 100% true. He's always been a grump. People always say I'm a grump too so maybe that's why I like him. ;) I've got his pseudo-instructional DVD, and he seems to get annoyed at some point. I can't remember if it's while he's demoing or during one of the interviews strewn about the video. It's a good video though. Loads better than Tommy Igoe's where he's drunk or hung over or whatever his problem was.
Haha, better than the Tommy Igoe Groove Essential dvd's? Good joke man, good joke.
Old 01-28-2010, 10:19 PM
motojt

I honestly don't remember the title at this point. I got it a few years ago. All I remember is there were some kids in it and he kept burping and slurring his speech. That video was generally useless. I still watch my Ginger Baker and Joe Morello videos though.

For the folks talking, yet not knowing: http://www.ask.com/music/artist/Baker/3618

EDIT: Ah hahaha, I found it! My wife got it for me sorta as a joke a few years ago when I "got back into drumming."
http://www.amazon.com/Getting-Starte...pd_sim_d_2_img
Man, that dvd is seriously bad. She walked by a few times while I was watching it and kept asking, "What's wrong with him?"
Old 01-28-2010, 10:27 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I honestly don't remember the title at this point. I got it a few years ago. All I remember is there were some kids in it and he kept burping and slurring his speech. That video was generally useless. I still watch my Ginger Baker and Joe Morello videos though.

For the folks talking, yet not knowing: http://www.ask.com/music/artist/Baker/3618

EDIT: Ah hahaha, I found it! My wife got it for me sorta as a joke a few years ago when I "got back into drumming."
http://www.amazon.com/Getting-Starte...pd_sim_d_2_img
Man, that dvd is seriously bad. She walked by a few times while I was watching it and kept asking, "What's wrong with him?"
Well, Groove Essentials 1 and 2 are very usefull. He still looks like he's just woken up from a booze-party though. Ginger Baker looks like a Ghoul from Fallout 3 though :P
Old 01-28-2010, 10:33 PM
TFITTING942

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaard View Post
Well, Groove Essentials 1 and 2 are very usefull. He still looks like he's just woken up from a booze-party though. Ginger Baker looks like a Ghoul from Fallout 3 though :P
Hahaha I always thought he looked like the Crypt Keeper! When they did that concert in London a few years ago I was sure he still had dirt on him from when he crawled out from the underground. Great drummer, I totally hate his cardboard drum sound though. p.s, I'm no Brad Pitt.
Old 01-28-2010, 10:36 PM
motojt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaard View Post
Ginger Baker looks like a Ghoul from Fallout 3 though :P
Hahaha, man that's great. At least he's consistent (Tommy I mean). They should make a Ginger zombie in Left 4 Dead.
Old 01-28-2010, 10:44 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Quote:
I http://ginger-baker.com/ Great drummer.... god awful web site. :|
For accuracys sake, that is not Gingers officially sanctioned web site, that is a fans website. (Read the fine print at the bottom)
Old 01-28-2010, 11:10 PM
motojt

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
For accuracys sake, that is not Gingers officially sanctioned web site, that is a fans website. (Read the fine print at the bottom)
Oh hell to the no! I never noticed that. Thanks, man, I've been laughing at that site for a few months now. :D
Old 01-28-2010, 11:28 PM
Platinum Member

Got abit carried away with photoshop, thinking of what Ginger Bakers last dvd will look like.

He's holding a glass of Vodka and coke btw.
Old 01-28-2010, 11:31 PM
motojt

God damn! Not only did Satan grant him an extension, he made him 12' tall! ;)
Old 01-28-2010, 11:34 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
God damn! Not only did Satan grant him an extension, he made him 12' tall! ;)
All those drugs, ya know :P
Old 01-29-2010, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Ok ok with the exception of Clapton, the rest does nothing for me at all really, although Bruce had some good bass moments. In my opinion the band (collectively) was nothing special and i probably don't live up to any standard that Baker has, so sue me. If you compare the musicianship (especially Ginger) of Cream to Led Zeppelin and The Who, i would say they are rather unremarkable. Also i might speak differently if i had been born back then and had listened to that when it first came about and i hold my hands up to that, but i wasn't and i guess that doesn't entitle me to an opinion huh? People tell me that Judas Priest, AC/DC, Fear Factory and Rammstein suck all of the time (especially the latter two because we should all just live in the past and not let music change), but they can say what they like because it doesn't bother me so it shouldn't bother you what i think of Cream. I'm not an 'old guy' spouting off, i'm 21 and i'm trying to express an opinion of disliking this particular band without being pounced on by an older member from that era and guess what, it never happens just like it hasn't here, i am not a troll of any kind i just simply don't like Cream, there i will not post any more opinions on this thread about Cream because i have done so already.
Hey that was just a mild pouncing! If you were there and had an ear for totally modern music played really well with inventive music and lyrics then yes, likely you would feel different. I was there and sadly, that fact and a couple of bucks will get me a lousy cup of BLACK coffee.
I thought you were older. Fail on me. Sorry for jumpin.
But there is more to like about Bruce FWIW then his Bass work. He had a GREAT voice as well..for the time. Very..hmm..dunno..Real good though. Dramatic in fact. No one else sang or played like those guys.
I also went insane over the new bands Santana, Tull, And the Who, Savoy Brown (Huh?), Dead, Quicksilver, Zappa, Feat, Zep, Traffic..bla bla bla on and on..
Us older folks dont so much "live" in the past as the past "lives" in us. Hard to explain I rekon.
Old 01-29-2010, 12:16 AM

He can think what he wants, it shouldn't be a competition and you definitely shouldn't state it in an interview or whatever, that's just pathetic.
Old 01-29-2010, 02:23 AM
Pioneer Member

Lol, people have really jumped on him for what seem some fairly tame comments. If any drummer is in a position to be outspoken about people who were his peers it's him, surely? Rock stars wouldn't be half the fun without the ego and arrogance.
Old 01-29-2010, 10:31 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Hey that was just a mild pouncing! If you were there and had an ear for totally modern music played really well with inventive music and lyrics then yes, likely you would feel different. I was there and sadly, that fact and a couple of bucks will get me a lousy cup of BLACK coffee.
I thought you were older. Fail on me. Sorry for jumpin.
But there is more to like about Bruce FWIW then his Bass work. He had a GREAT voice as well..for the time. Very..hmm..dunno..Real good though. Dramatic in fact. No one else sang or played like those guys.
I also went insane over the new bands Santana, Tull, And the Who, Savoy Brown (Huh?), Dead, Quicksilver, Zappa, Feat, Zep, Traffic..bla bla bla on and on..
Us older folks dont so much "live" in the past as the past "lives" in us. Hard to explain I rekon.
It's fine Jim I know you're a good guy from other comments I have seen on these threads. Na it aint hard to explain cause i know exactly what you mean, the glory days are something I can't relate with as I wasn't around! If anything I would have loved to have been around in those days to hear these new sounds and styles of music that were being heard for the very first time, I think it would have been very enlightening and inspiring, nowadays with the exception of some bands a lot of commercial and pop music sounds exactly the same, and rock well...what is that? I think late 70's early 80's would have been my favourite time but unfortunately i can only imagine what it was like.

Well I shall stand in a shadowy corner now waiting for the new glory days to arrive however I fear they never will.
Old 01-29-2010, 11:05 AM

MOTOJT wrote:

Quote:
It's a good video though. Loads better than Tommy Igoe's where he's drunk or hung over or whatever his problem was.
What's all this about then?
Old 01-29-2010, 01:41 PM

I am a dedicated Ginger fan.
Indeed he was lucky to live next door to Eric, otherwise he would not have become famous.
But just like Bob Dylan who could not sing, or Chuck Berry who just used 3 chords, Ginger influenced the music scene and many drummers after him, and rock drumming in general.
Why? I don´t know.
You must see his drumming through eyeglasses of those days, and also look at the amount of cream records being sold...
Times are a changing.
Meanwhile, with the internet communication rather than just buying a vinyl record there are lots of drummers who are way beyond ginger´s chops, and play stuff Ginger would never ever come close to...e.g. "vadrum" (search youtube for him), and make him look like a lousy mersey beat amateur.
But that is not of any issue.
Like all musicians Ginger must get credits for what he played, and not for what he said...nobody buys a record of what Buddy Rich ever said, but they dig what he played.
Ginger was the first rock drummer to write a (in those days contemporary) rock-drum book, with all his licks, rudiments and such...all his comments and advices in his book are really great, and still, contemporally, answer many questions young drummers have in this forum.
Do not judge a man by what he says, but by what he does.
John Lennon once said: "I am more famous than Jesus"..this does not make him a lousy musician..
Any press guy can take a qoute out of the contex, and make it sound different from what the person wanted to say
Old 01-29-2010, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rootheart View Post
I am a dedicated Ginger fan.
Indeed he was lucky to live next door to Eric, otherwise he would not have become famous.
But just like Bob Dylan who could not sing, or Chuck Berry who just used 3 chords, Ginger influenced the music scene and many drummers after him, and rock drumming in general.
Why? I don´t know.
You must see his drumming through eyeglasses of those days, and also look at the amount of cream records being sold...
Times are a changing.
Meanwhile, with the internet communication rather than just buying a vinyl record there are lots of drummers who are way beyond ginger´s chops, and play stuff Ginger would never ever come close to...e.g. "vadrum" (search youtube for him), and make him look like a lousy mersey beat amateur.
But that is not of any issue.
Like all musicians Ginger must get credits for what he played, and not for what he said...nobody buys a record of what Buddy Rich ever said, but they dig what he played.
Ginger was the first rock drummer to write a (in those days contemporary) rock-drum book, with all his licks, rudiments and such...all his comments and advices in his book are really great, and still, contemporally, answer many questions young drummers have in this forum.
Do not judge a man by what he says, but by what he does.
John Lennon once said: "I am more famous than Jesus"..this does not make him a lousy musician..
Any press guy can take a qoute out of the contex, and make it sound different from what the person wanted to say

Lennon said that sarchastically because he wanted to make the point that his fame comapred to that of Jesus was out of whack. Baker's comments are meant to be taken literally.

Baker says this stuff often I bet it's not even slightly out of context

Baker deserves a bunch of credit. However even if he was the unanimous choice as best drummer who ever lived that doesn't give you the right to be a putz. If his comments were true he could have found a way to say them (if at all) that was more balanced and fair.
Old 01-29-2010, 03:27 PM
Silver Member

There's enough music in the world we can respect that we don't have to give any credit to egoistic idiots. Music is very emotional for me, so it matters a lot what kind of person the performer is, afterall the music comes from his heart (hopefully). After reading all this crap about Baker, I'm not even giving him a try. Doesn't matter if I would miss out on a drum god. And I doubt I miss anything special really since I haven't heard him mentioned in any context that is relevant to me. Plenty of fish out there, so I don't have to catch the ones that don't get along with other food I have on my plate.

(All of this is my opinion again)
Old 01-29-2010, 03:48 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imispgh View Post
even if he was the unanimous choice as best drummer who ever lived that doesn't give you the right to be a putz. If his comments were true he could have found a way to say them (if at all) that was more balanced and fair.
He sounds like the drum version of Mohamed Ali, and it seems he's also a bit jumbled after many years of bodily abuse ... but they were both on top of the world at one stage.
Old 01-29-2010, 03:54 PM
Platinum Member

Don't know why he's ranting. I always liked Ginger with "The Masters of Reality."

There's ants in the kitchen baby"...........
Old 01-29-2010, 10:13 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifter in the Dark View Post
I read a Rolling Stone article on Mr. Baker recently, and by his own admission, he should have died several times over, whether from heroin abuse, chain-smoking for the past 40 years, or having disputes with those around him. Currently he lives in South Africa in a gated compound because there are few places in the world where he's welcome anymore. Supermac is right: he's a just a bitter old man who talks a lot of trash.
Last time I heard ( a few years back on the Letterman show) he was living in Italy growing olives, I guess that did not work out for him.
Old 01-30-2010, 01:39 AM

Quote:
It's fine Jim I know you're a good guy from other comments I have seen on these threads. Na it aint hard to explain cause i know exactly what you mean, the glory days are something I can't relate with as I wasn't around! If anything I would have loved to have been around in those days to hear these new sounds and styles of music that were being heard for the very first time, I think it would have been very enlightening and inspiring, nowadays with the exception of some bands a lot of commercial and pop music sounds exactly the same, and rock well...what is that? I think late 70's early 80's would have been my favourite time but unfortunately i can only imagine what it was like.

Well I shall stand in a shadowy corner now waiting for the new glory days to arrive however I fear they never will.
JT these ARE your glory days man. Enjoy them brother. Do good things and have fun because these are the days you will look back on. Psstt..Dont tell any one but I'm having as much fun now as ever!
Old 01-30-2010, 02:07 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Quote:
JT these ARE your glory days man.
I'm not sure there are glory days going on right now, but we're sure due.

There was a huge rock reinvention period going on in the mid to late '60s that reshaped pop and rock music. Then in the '70s there was metal that was new and there was disco, but things were largely getting stale (and punk rock was in its infant stages). New Wave came along and tried to breathe life into music but was subsumed by the hair-metal bands and cheesy pop acts of the '80s.

When Nirvana blew up in '91, it was another one of those revolutions where wholesale attitudes were recalibrated and music was new again - for awhile. After alternative had run it's course (too many labels signed too many bands of that mold, that there was nothing "alternative" about it anymore).

Then with the internet and mass file sharing, now labels are in a bind because they're having such a hard time making money from sales and are very conservative when it comes to looking for new "talent." Music, overall, feels pretty stale to me right now. (I have a few new fave's but none seem to be getting that traction)

There will be another explosion and reinvention of some kind that will shake things up. Just make sure you're hip to it when it comes. It'll help to find the epicenter(s) of it, too, as Seattle/Austin/Athens/Chicago were in the late '80s/early '90s and as San Francisco and the UK were in the '60s.
Old 01-30-2010, 02:42 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
... labels are in a bind because they're having such a hard time making money from sales and are very conservative when it comes to looking for new "talent." Music, overall, feels pretty stale to me right now. (I have a few new fave's but none seem to be getting that traction)

There will be another explosion and reinvention of some kind that will shake things up. Just make sure you're hip to it when it comes. It'll help to find the epicenter(s) of it, too, as Seattle/Austin/Athens/Chicago were in the late '80s/early '90s and as San Francisco and the UK were in the '60s.
I dunno. There's probably some great music being played now but we mostly don't hear it.

The standard mainstream stuff gets most of the exposure, as usual, and that can lead us into thinking the scene is crap. In 1970, the song I like least in the world, Tie a Yellow Ribbon Round the Old Oak Tree was #1 on the Top Forty - not Pink Floyd, Janis Joplin, David Bowie, The Stones, Hendrix, Miles Davis, The Doors, Led Zeppilin - or any of the songs on Cream's 1969 Goodbye album, for that matter. No, #1 was ^%#!&$ Tony Orlando! lol (or should that be *sob!*?)

Meanwhile, there's this huge morass of independent music out there on the web today and the hard thing is finding the pearls amongst the swine - or at least the "pearls" that satisfy our musical tastes.

I'm sure the pearls are there but finding them is another matter. Since we find a lot of stuff by using search functions it lends itself to catching up on old familiar tunes we haven't heard for ages.
Old 01-30-2010, 03:22 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollyanna View Post
I dunno. There's probably some great music being played now but we mostly don't hear it.

The standard mainstream stuff gets most of the exposure, as usual, and that can lead us into thinking the scene is crap. In 1970, the song I like least in the world, Tie a Yellow Ribbon Round the Old Oak Tree was #1 on the Top Forty - not Pink Floyd, Janis Joplin, David Bowie, The Stones, Hendrix, Miles Davis, The Doors, Led Zeppilin - or any of the songs on Cream's 1969 Goodbye album, for that matter. No, #1 was ^%#!&$ Tony Orlando! lol (or should that be *sob!*?)

Meanwhile, there's this huge morass of independent music out there on the web today and the hard thing is finding the pearls amongst the swine - or at least the "pearls" that satisfy our musical tastes.

I'm sure the pearls are there but finding them is another matter. Since we find a lot of stuff by using search functions it lends itself to catching up on old familiar tunes we haven't heard for ages.
For sure, there is always cool stuff going on somewhere. College radio has always been a good place to turn for hearing what may someday become big. But you have to sit through some pretty nasty stuff, too. At least at our college station.

When I listen to the local commercial "new" rock station with the target audience of tween to early 30-somethings, all I hear is another watered-down nu-metal band after another, saccharine-sweet psuedo punk, or bearded-guy alt-smartie rehash, with sprinklings of Nirvana, STP, Beastie Boys, and Soundgarden. All very carefully calibrated to reach just the right demographic.

A lot of the college radio heroes of the late '80s were the first ones to cash in on the first wave of the grunge explosion. REM, The Replacements, Sonic Youth were all paving the way for Nirvana to come along and blow the doors wide open and put a generation of tired hair-metal bands out of business. There were so many good bands at that time that were suddenly "mainstream". For me, the period between '90 and '94 were the most exciting years I'll probably see, musically. Just seems like twenty years later, something big should be breaking again.

Sorry about the "Yellow Ribbon" thing, that must've been really harsh. The first one I remember was "I'm leaving On A Jet Plane", that was bad enough.
Old 01-31-2010, 10:34 PM
Silver Member

still love Cream and Jack Bruce is still my favorite rock vocalist and bass player.

and Clapton's best solo remains the one he played on "NSU" from Fresh Cream. short but DAMN sweet!!
Yamaha Stands and Pedals