DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 01-25-2010, 01:18 PM

Default Young Drummer's Dad Needs Advice

I joined this forum because I thought it might be a good source of information for myself and my son as he develops over the years.

My son’s name is Bradford Davis. Bradford is left handed, (writing and eating) but seems to throw a ball with either hand and plays the drum set with either type of set up. He has not started any formal lessons; and I’m not sure when I should start lessons for him - and when I do - with who?

He seems to know what type of sounds and rhythms he’s after and does what ever is needed to achieve his objective.

A good example of this was the time he and I were in a Guitar Center store, he was 6 years old at the time. Bradford and one of the Drum Techs, (I can't recall his name) were playing together for awhile. They were doing a “call and response - follow the leader” type of thing with the difficulty level rising slowly on each round. A crowd started to develop with people and employees from other departments watching the “Little Kid” and the “Drum Tech” playing together. The Drum Tech was on a double bass set and Bradford was on a standard 5 piece set up; they were playing a moderate Rock / Funk type of beat.

Towards the end, the Drum Tech started kicking his double bass set up and Bradford, (just trying to follow him) started using his right hand on the floor tom in sync with his foot pedal - while keeping his snare on 2 and 4 and hitting his cymbals with his left hand, without missing a beat. Those who were watching the two of them roared and applauded with approval - while the Drum Tech and I just looked at each other in disbelief, Bradford made it look so easy and natural to do what he was doing.

My point is this, I could use some advice - I don’t want to ruin my son’s creativity by forcing him into some type of mold to become the type of drummer that his teacher might think he should be.

1. Could it be too soon to start lessons?
2. Should I try to find a better set for him and let him develop more?

He doesn’t want to play with ear protection, (of ANY kind - either earmuffs or plugs) and his hearing checks out fine. I’ve copied some links of him playing below hoping these would help those of you who may have an opinion or some advise for us.

Thank you and please forgive the long post.

4 Years Old- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dlfVXTwBTA

5 Years Old-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dr7xPFuOv-4

6 Years Old-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V05i4KmYMDY

7 Years Old- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14B_CfTsBWI

8 Years Old-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tAxKPGPsho
Old 01-25-2010, 01:29 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Young Drummer's Dad Needs Advice

Never too soon to start lessons.
Old 01-25-2010, 01:53 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer's Dad View Post
My point is this, I could use some advice - I don’t want to ruin my son’s creativity by forcing him into some type of mold to become the type of drummer that his teacher might think he should be.

1. Could it be too soon to start lessons?
A good teacher will only enhance his creativity.....not ruin it. I don't believe it's too soon to start lessons at all. He's obviously shown a keen interest in the instrument for 4 odd years now. I'd say he's ready and raring to go on the lesson front.

Personally, I'd hang about on the kit......invest the money into lessons for the time being and upgrade as he progresses. As he learns more, he'll gain a greater understanding of what type of kit he's after.

Best of luck.
Old 01-25-2010, 02:02 PM
Gold Member

^^^ I agree with this statement^^^
Old 01-25-2010, 02:07 PM

Yeah, get a teacher as soon as possible, you'll see him progress faster than you ever thought possible. Kudos on getting him started early, he's going to be amazing when he's older (he's probably already better than some of the people on here COUGH). A teacher won't force him into a set style. I can see how you may think that, but it's not like math or english or whatever. A teacher will give him the technical ability, by teaching him proper strokes, proper way to hold a stick, developing speed and independence etc, to further express his creativity.
Old 01-25-2010, 02:57 PM

Dad,

First and foremost: congrats on being blessed with a special child. I believe he is equally blessed to have a father so focused in helping him reach his full potential.

No one has mentioned this, as it may be of little consequence now, but a good reason to get going looking for a good teacher: to avoid the development of bad habits which could end up in injury over the long run. He's young now, but if he sticks to it (as I believe he's bound to), any bad habits he develops now could end up hurting in the long run (IMHO)
Old 01-25-2010, 04:24 PM

And hopefully he will listen to the instructor when he is most certainly told to always, always wear ear protection! He's so young and the potential for permanant damage is so great.
Old 01-25-2010, 04:29 PM
Silver Member

re: teacher- gotta learn the rules before you can learn when & how to break 'em.

re: ear protection- without a doubt, absolutely. don't give him an option out.
Old 01-25-2010, 04:50 PM
Platinum Member

Huge + 1 on Malti & Timmdrum about ear protection. It's not an optional thing. No point in learning to play the instrument he so obviously loves if he can't hear the fruits of his labour. Lessons, absolutely. Take time to find the right teacher, don't just go on price, location, availability, etc. A good teacher will inspire, guide & focus him in equal measure. There's some great teachers (or at least they say they are (wink)) on this forum who are way more qualified than me to advise you. Kudos for your support & enthusiasm.
Old 01-25-2010, 06:31 PM
Platinum Member

As far as lessons, I have a student that started at 7 and is now 9. He has been through 3 snare drum books, plays mallet percussion, and know a bunch of styles on drum set. I would find the best teacher in the area and sign up for lessons. Where do you live? Maybe someone can suggest a teacher in your area.

As far as ear protection - of course it is not my job to tell someone how to parent, but ear protection is a SAFETY measure just like a helmet or knee pads. Even if his hearing is fine now, remember that unprotected drumming can lead to tinnitus, a constant ringing in the ears. Many famous drummers have this ringing non-stop 24 hrs. a day. Again, I am not trying to tell you how to parent, but thought you should know the facts. Here's a link.

http://www.ata.org/for-patients/faqs

Jeff
Old 01-25-2010, 07:42 PM

I watched the videos...and your son is now 8. He has an ear, but he obviously has little concept of the techniques that drummers use. .He needs to get familiar with rudiments first of all, and HOW rudiments are supposed to sound, i.e. the techniques of moving your limbs, fingers etc....you NEED to get him to a professional teacher, one that will really open his eyes....you want him to be good, really good? Get him started yesterday.........
Old 01-25-2010, 08:13 PM

I started lessons when I was 7 but quit when I was 10....(I thought I knew it all...big regret)...so I would definitely get him started soon. Also have someone who will teach him many styles and not just the ones he is interested in. As for hearing protection it is a MUST!!!...have him try some Vic Firth head phones kid sized. They are similar to ear muffs worn at airports, and they cut down tremendously on the ring and actually make the kit sound better...I don't play without them (but I use the adult stereo version so I can plug them directly into my ipod). While wearing them the drums actually sound eq'd and clear. I play better while wearing them because I can HEAR better, especially the nuances of the different components of the set. You could use that as an incentive to make him want to wear them..."they will make you sound better and play better"....Its either play with hearing protection or play drums with mutes or heavy muffling which is no fun...just my humble opinion
Old 01-25-2010, 09:02 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffwj View Post
.....As far as ear protection - of course it is not my job to tell someone how to parent, but ear protection is a SAFETY measure just like a helmet or knee pads. Even if his hearing is fine now, remember that unprotected drumming can lead to tinnitus...
It's not my job to tell you how to parent, either, but as a fellow parent and a professional musician who hears stories ALL THE TIME from musicians who say that they wished they had worn hearing protection all of those years of playing...DO IT!!! Tinnitus isn't your only worry, but just a general dulling of the hearing that you don't notice which only gets worse over time with more and more loud noise (and the natural aging process, too). It usually starts with your higher frequencies diminished. Every time your son's ears "ring" for a little bit after he plays, that means hearing damage has occurred. Little by little, it adds up!

Plus, when he starts playing live, and he has to deal with monitors and the inevitable feedback that occurs with a PA system, hearing protection (ear plugs) will be his best friend when everyone else is going into the fetal position and plugging their ears, screaming...

My kit: http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44195
Old 01-25-2010, 09:23 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownie1969 View Post
I watched the videos...and your son is now 8. He has an ear, but he obviously has little concept of the techniques that drummers use. .He needs to get familiar with rudiments first of all, and HOW rudiments are supposed to sound, i.e. the techniques of moving your limbs, fingers etc....you NEED to get him to a professional teacher, one that will really open his eyes....you want him to be good, really good? Get him started yesterday.........
Exactly. Why the wait when you obviously see a natural talent in your son? He could have been studying and getting better over the last few years. The videos show a bit of improvement, but not anywhere near the improvement that can be made with a qualified teacher.

Find a teacher who will teach him reading and technique on snare drum. He should also know how to play mallet percussion (bells, xylophone, marimba) if he plans on playing percussion in the school band. On drum set, the teacher should focus on coordination, styles, and chart reading. Don't just go with the first teacher you call. Talk to them. Look over their bios. Find the best one.

Jeff
Old 01-25-2010, 09:51 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer's Dad View Post

Thumbs up. Gifted young man. Find a teacher, yes. Try to get the young man to wear ear protection. Yes. Good advice from all above on this.
Since that subject is already covered, I'll go for "better equipment" thang.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuQtF...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qFmK...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OU0de...eature=related
Keep an "open mind". Sounds like you're leaning towards this already. Ambidexterity. That's what these video's demonstrate, although they're showcassing Yamaha PHX drums. The first video shows clearly, the pedal system I use (when I use a double pedal). Since your son has no preconceived left/right orientation yet, you can simply "run with that ball".
Upgrading the drum set, per say, no. Configure it a little different, yes, and you can do it a little at a time.
That Pearl kit, with some TLC, could last you another 10 years, or more. Easy to "add onto" those kits, on a budget, also. And Pearl hardware, also easy to be found.
Also, setting up symmetrical will lower the rack toms. That feature might be more important to an 8 year old, that an adult
I'll let you continue this, if you're interested. If you're not, you're not. Picture of my pedals system below. Lastly, welcome to Drummerworld.
Attached Images

Old 01-25-2010, 10:11 PM
Platinum Member

haha! that kid rocks! he's having so much fun it was a blast to watch his video!

but like everyone else, i would say yes, get a teacher. i had a teacher when i was young (not that young) and he made all the difference in my drumming and taught me things that have stayed with me my whole life.

i noticed that even though your son has some chops and a ton of enthusiasm his technique is pretty bad. a good teacher could straighten him out and get him on the right track!
Old 01-26-2010, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filacterua View Post
Dad,

First and foremost: congrats on being blessed with a special child. I believe he is equally blessed to have a father so focused in helping him reach his full potential.

No one has mentioned this, as it may be of little consequence now, but a good reason to get going looking for a good teacher: to avoid the development of bad habits which could end up in injury over the long run. He's young now, but if he sticks to it (as I believe he's bound to), any bad habits he develops now could end up hurting in the long run (IMHO)
Yes, thank you so much for your response you've made a very good point!
After reading all of the comments by the other members here to my post, I realize that; lessons - hearing protection - experimenting with other drum placement as well as our family's support will go a long way towards Bradford's future as a musician and drummer.
Old 01-26-2010, 07:17 AM
Platinum Member

Check these links to see if there is a teacher in your area. We can also help in your search if you let us know what area you are in.

http://www.vicfirth.com/education/edteam_roster.php

http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54188

Jeff
Old 01-26-2010, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryconway View Post
Thumbs up. Gifted young man. Find a teacher, yes. Try to get the young man to wear ear protection. Yes. Good advice from all above on this.
Since that subject is already covered, I'll go for "better equipment" thang.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qFmK...eature=related
Since your son has no preconceived left/right orientation yet, you can simply "run with that ball".
Upgrading the drum set, per say, no. Configure it a little different, yes, and you can do it a little at a time.
That Pearl kit, with some TLC, could last you another 10 years, or more. Easy to "add onto" those kits, on a budget, also. And Pearl hardware, also easy to be found.
Also, setting up symmetrical will lower the rack toms. That feature might be more important to an 8 year old, that an adult
I'll let you continue this, if you're interested. If you're not, you're not. Picture of my pedals system below. Lastly, welcome to Drummerworld.
Thank you for the welcome to Drummerworld and thank you for your suggestions; we will be looking at the symmetrical set up - it seems to be a natural approach for the way he plays - it looks very efficient and fun... Bradford likes to have fun!

As far as his foot pedal, he is using a DW7000 - single. He likes the feel of that pedal.
After School tomorrow, we'll go to the local music store for some ear protection and we'll look around to see if we can find a symmetrical set up that he can play on for a little while - to see what it feels like for him.
Old 01-26-2010, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dairyairman View Post
haha! that kid rocks! he's having so much fun it was a blast to watch his video!

but like everyone else, i would say yes, get a teacher. i had a teacher when i was young (not that young) and he made all the difference in my drumming and taught me things that have stayed with me my whole life.

i noticed that even though your son has some chops and a ton of enthusiasm his technique is pretty bad. a good teacher could straighten him out and get him on the right track!

Thanks for the positive comments. Yeah Bradford certainly loves to have fun on the drums! I'll start looking for a teacher tomorrow.
Old 01-26-2010, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Check these links to see if there is a teacher in your area. We can also help in your search if you let us know what area you are in.

http://www.vicfirth.com/education/edteam_roster.php

http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54188

Jeff
Hi Jeff, thanks for your help. I'll use the links and see what we can find on our end.
Old 01-26-2010, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicotine25 View Post
...While wearing them the drums actually sound eq'd and clear. I play better while wearing them because I can HEAR better, especially the nuances of the different components of the set. You could use that as an incentive to make him want to wear them..."they will make you sound better and play better"....Its either play with hearing protection or play drums with mutes or heavy muffling which is no fun...just my humble opinion
Thanks for the tip - I will be using this one for sure!
Old 01-26-2010, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace76543 View Post
Yeah, get a teacher as soon as possible, you'll see him progress faster than you ever thought possible. Kudos on getting him started early, he's going to be amazing when he's older (he's probably already better than some of the people on here COUGH). A teacher won't force him into a set style. I can see how you may think that, but it's not like math or english or whatever. A teacher will give him the technical ability, by teaching him proper strokes, proper way to hold a stick, developing speed and independence etc, to further express his creativity.
We are starting our search for the teacher tomorrow.
Old 01-26-2010, 02:22 PM

My suggestion is you find a teacher who sneaks in the practice stuff while keeping the interest piqued.

When I tried guitar two times a s a kid I gave it up because I didn't want to play the stuff I hated. Camptown races etc is BS. The key is to keep the interest and fun of it piqued. To do this I suggest the teacher make his points through something your child enjoys. Find the genres of music he likes and use drumless tunes etc to keep him playing. Along the way technique is always fine tuned and at small intervals things like ruddiments are sneaked in. (For example work on fills by using rudiments). The child has to ALWAYS want to play. As they get older and they understand somethimes you have to practice things that aren't as much fun to do you introduce more of the drills.

(I am an adult and I have a blast playing recording to popular drumless tracks and even composing my own songs with Reaper using loops.)

Ditto on hearing protection. My suggestion is to use drumless (or standard tunes) played through a laptop with a simple overhead mic setup (with internal mixer) to allow your child to get used to working with a mixed signal in his ear. This will make playing along sound cool and protect the child's ears.

Also make sure the teacher doesn't impose too much of their own biases - especially relative to technique, posture and set up. Find where your child wants to hit things and as long as it's not out of whack go with it.
Old 01-26-2010, 04:34 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imispgh View Post
My suggestion is you find a teacher who sneaks in the practice stuff while keeping the interest piqued.
No offense, but I have heard similar things said from many other people. In my experience, if you give a young child what they need - reading, technique, styles, etc., they will often excel beyond expectations. Yes, we do play-alongs too, but they are read out of a book in a number of different styles. The teacher's job should be to educate the child about things that he doesn't know yet. My 9 year old student loves playing jazz and 12 bar blues stuff. If I just went with what he wanted to do without exposing him to the stuff he needs he would not be as good of a player as he is now.

Quote:
Also make sure the teacher doesn't impose too much of their own biases - especially relative to technique, posture and set up. Find where your child wants to hit things and as long as it's not out of whack go with it.
Again no offense, but it is a teacher's job to correct things such as technique and posture. As far as set up goes, I like to talk to my students about it because kids (and adults) will often have things in weird positions. A small change will make playing easier.

Drummer's Dad, please remember that many teachers will go with the approach "he's young, so we won't do much real stuff." Remember that at that age they still have the ability to be challenged and learn. Find a teacher who understands that and will help to challenge and guide him.

Jeff

Last edited by jeffwj; 01-26-2010 at 05:02 PM.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:28 PM

Quote:
No offense, but I have heard similar things said from many other people. In my experience, if you give a young child what they need - reading, technique, styles, etc., they will often excel beyond expectations. Yes, we do play-alongs too, but they are read out of a book in a number of different styles. The teacher's job should be to educate the child about things that he doesn't know yet. My 9 year old student loves playing jazz and 12 bar blues stuff. If I just went with what he wanted to do without exposing him to the stuff he needs he would not be as good of a player as he is now.

Again no offense, but it is a teacher's job to correct things such as technique and posture. As far as set up goes, I like to talk to my students about it because kids (and adults) will often have things in weird positions. A small change will make playing easier.

Drummer's Dad, please remember that many teachers will go with the approach "he's young, so we won't do much real stuff." Remember that at that age they still have the ability to be challenged and learn. Find a teacher who understands that and will help to challenge and guide him.

Jeff

Not suggesting you don't use the drum material. Just saying that children lose attention span quickly - mostly when it goes from play to work. Of course this varies.

I agree kids are sponges and can absorb way more than most think. they will let you know whan they are full, have had enough or are no longer having fun. up to those points fire away. As you say challenge them. Just let it be fun challenges not work challenges. (At least most of the time)

I noticed you said the child "loves" blues etc. That was my point. Find what they love. And I am not just saying it should be limited to what they know. Exposure to new stuff is excellent. Just saying that when you figure out the range of what they like stay with it.

Of course a teacher's job is to take posture in to account. I am just saying that being a teacher doesn't make you right and in cases that involve the future health of the child the parent should spin up and be involved. Posture choices matter and teachers, who are human, don't always know what is best. Additonally some of the posture, grip stuff is flexible. As such I was trying to say that within these limits let the child do what feels right.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:46 PM

my 2nd post.

get him started on lessons. he has loads of potential.

as others have said (though i didn't read every post, i am sure this was brought up multiple times...), he can develop bad habits as far as technique goes that can slow his progress down, as well as result in injury. any good teacher will not mold him into a certain type of drummer. a good teacher will show him good technique and allow him to develop on his own, the correct way. i made this mistake when i began playing when i was 16. i chose not to take lessons because i had the mindset that if i did, it would limit me. i didn't do any research, instead i just bought a set and began playing. i was a natural too, but the natural approach is not the best way for a drummer to reach their full potential. i know i have poor technique and as a result i am slower on and around my kit (both hands and feet). i am looking into lessons now, just searching for the right instructor.

again, and i quote myself, get him started on lessons.

as far as ears, i have made this mistake too. i have a slight ringing in my ears if all is quiet. this time around when i get my new kit assembled (sold my old one), i will be wearing ear protection at all times. IMHO, drums sound like they should when you're wearing ear protection. if he is against it (and you're financially able) offer him a new kit... if he uses ear protection. haha! :)

my 2 cents.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:54 PM
Silver Member

I heard about the hearing protection thing and how important it is, so when I eventually got round to buying some and playing with the protection, afterwards I played with out and realised how ridiculously loud drums are. You don't really notice until you play with it in!
Old 01-26-2010, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebirdgdw View Post
I heard about the hearing protection thing and how important it is, so when I eventually got round to buying some and playing with the protection, afterwards I played with out and realised how ridiculously loud drums are. You don't really notice until you play with it in!
yes! they are so loud they sound terrible compared to with ear protection. this all plays on the acoustics of the room/space the drums are in but still... ear protection for the win.
Old 01-27-2010, 04:48 AM

Hello to all on the forum -

I attempted today to find the Drum Tech I had mentioned in my first post but he no longer works at that Guitar Center store, (Palmdale CA) too bad to because that guy really enjoyed seeing my son when ever we walked into the store after that day he played with him. The funny thing is, he never asked, suggested or offered lessons to us...

So now we will be looking for a new person to see if they will want to work with Bradford. I'm looking for someone who is interested in developing Bradfords' skills - not just collecting cash from me.

We'll keep you posted of our search and progress.
Old 01-27-2010, 07:36 AM

Hey Dad....while your search goes on, get Bradford started with these exercises.....any teacher worth his salt will have him doing rudiments pretty much out of the gate. There are video's that show how they are executed correctly.....so why not start getting familiar.

http://www.vicfirth.com/education/rudiments.php
Old 01-27-2010, 11:42 AM

First, congratulations on siring a prodigy!

Second, as a drummer with 25% hearing loss and who cannot follow conversations whenever there is background noise, I urge you to do what you can to get Bradford to wear hearing protection. He has to want to do this, otherwise he'll only wear protection when you're around. A couple of things I find really drives home the point:
- get Bradford to wear earmuffs at the dinner table (this mimics hearing loss at the higher frequencies) to see what fun it is to follow conversations.
- tune a radio to a frequency where you get one of those high pitched background noises and leave it on. Welcome to the world of tinnitus.

Third, what they said above re lessons.

Finally, keep an eye on his posture. Kids grow in spurts and, a kit set up that suited his size one day can very quickly become unsuitable. Sometimes this can happen within a few days. This might cause Bradford to develop a less than ideal posture to adapt to his kit, which might cause long term issues (see the thread about Phil Collins having to quit drumming due to his back).

Final finally, I look forward to seeing Bradford on the cover of Modern Drummer and his own drumming DVDs.
Old 01-28-2010, 06:17 AM

I've enclosed a couple of pictures of Bradford's current kit configuration - as of (January 27, 2010). He says he likes it and he can move and reach the drums and cymbals faster and easier now. I'll get some new drum heads for the toms over the weekend and the proper hardware to move the old heads onto the bottoms of the drums to give him a different sound with his new setup.

Today he was playing with his headsets on and every time I checked in on him, he had them on so... so far so good. I'll do that "earmuffs at the dinner table" when he gets home from the store with his Mom - we'll watch some cartoons and eat ice cream together as a family - only he'll have his headphones on - that should drive the point home with him for sure!

Thanks again - here are the pics.

Old 01-28-2010, 09:35 AM

I HIGHLY recommend lessons.

to enhance his technique, creativity, and knowledge of music.

When he gets to high school, I recommend having him join the school's drumline (I did that, it made me improve at an exponential rate), and joining bands. He should gain exposure to Jazz and Funk as soon as possible... I did just rock for several years before attempting Jazz, which ended up being a mistake (rock and swing take much different mindsets, and I also came into jazz with a large ego because I had come from the rock world where I was better than most other people to the jazz world where I was downright terrible).
Old 01-28-2010, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madidus View Post
First, congratulations on siring a prodigy!

... Finally, keep an eye on his posture. Kids grow in spurts and, a kit set up that suited his size one day can very quickly become unsuitable. Sometimes this can happen within a few days. This might cause Bradford to develop a less than ideal posture to adapt to his kit, which might cause long term issues (see the thread about Phil Collins having to quit drumming due to his back).

Final finally, I look forward to seeing Bradford on the cover of Modern Drummer and his own drumming DVDs.
Madidus, I don't know what happened to my original post, (still learning how to navigate on this forum) but I wanted to say that Bradford and I look at these posts together and he really gets so much out of them!

Thank you also for the extremely positive thoughts on Modern Drummer and his own drumming DVDs.

Very Nice!
Old 01-28-2010, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownie1969 View Post
Hey Dad....while your search goes on, get Bradford started with these exercises.....any teacher worth his salt will have him doing rudiments pretty much out of the gate. There are video's that show how they are executed correctly.....so why not start getting familiar.

http://www.vicfirth.com/education/rudiments.php
Hi Brownie,

Great post - I had no idea that was even out there! We'll start today after Bradford is finished doing his homework.

Thanks for the link.
Old 01-29-2010, 05:03 AM

Single's, doubles, paradiddles, and flams.....that's a good place to start. Try to get him to make each stroke equal in height, and strength, i.e. both left and right SOUND identical on the drum head. Learrning proper rebound of the stick is of the utmost importance...that is where the art and science lies.(Stick control!!!) The sticks should also hit in the same area of the drum head, about the size of a tobacco can lid. Also notice the accent notes, and watch the videos to see correct execution.
My guess is that he will take off quickly....just get a professional teacher to ensure his technique is correct....don't let him develop incorrect grips and things that will hinder his performance, and will be tough to break later. He's got alot under his belt...like I said earlier, he HEARS the music...now he just needs to learn how to put it all together. I'm a big believer that kids are like sponges, and they soak up whats thrown at them faster than adults ever do. Good luck, with his future, he'll do well......here's a really cute kid, that can really put it down....let Bradford check this little guy out.....here's a little solo, with many rudiments put to work. (...... remember....he's had LESSONS!!!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipzo-...eature=related

P.S. this site has a ton of great videos, let him watch some of the masters.....visually watching can help tremendously in making connections as to how someone does something. Show him, the, "Bernard Purdie" videos, he can probably handle the basics of the shuffle, and Bernie makes it look real easy.
http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/b...struction.html

http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/b...hostnotes.html

Last edited by brownie1969; 01-29-2010 at 05:44 AM.