DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 01-13-2010, 11:59 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Default For the Aussie Brigade

My band decided to do a song by Daddy Cool, (an Aussie band) called Flip, circa 1971. (right around the same time that Bobdadruma was out on his lawn with those seasick swirly

Slingerlands ha ha). So I just had to tell all my Aussie colleauges. Are any of you familiar with the band?
Old 01-14-2010, 12:14 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: For the Aussie Brigade

Most certainly am Larry.....one of my proudest moments was sitting on stage in a dingy little pub playing bongos with Ross Hannaford (guitarist and deep voice BV's) for a few songs. At the time, i thought it was heaven!! I also met Ross Wilson (lead vocals) at an uncles party a few month ago......alas all our talk was related around how well our kids were playing together, rather than anything musical.......I was kind of hoping I could throw out the "need a drummer?" line....but thought better of it.

They were a great band and well worth listening to some of their other stuff if you can get your hands on any.
Old 01-14-2010, 12:19 AM

Of Course!! Ross Wilson (singer) is still touring around Australia, living off their hit "Eagle Rock"!
Gotta love the Vintage Aussie Rock!! I don't know the song Flip though. Although there is some strange tradition here in Australia, when Eagle Rock comes on in a pub, most of the lads in the crowd drop their threads and hobble around with their pants around their ankles. I don't understand it, and I'm pretty sure Daddy Cool don't as well. It's entertaining though.

Have fun Larry!
Old 01-14-2010, 12:28 AM
Platinum Member

Yup, all Aussies around our vintage know Daddy Cool. Over here, their biggest hit Eagle Rock was one of the most over-covered songs ever and has been so thrashed on the airwaves that many people can't listen to it any more. Of course the song would be fair game for bands in other countries and would bring a tear to the eye of any expat Aussie in the audience. Can't remember Flip, but I'd probably know it if I heard it.

Gary Young, DC's drummer, later went on to play with Jo Jo Zep and The Falcons (another great band to check out, Larry!) and I've seen him play many times. Fantastic rockin' blues drummer - great feel, sound, energy and vibe, and solid as a rock.

PFOG, sorry ... MISTER Gold ... you jammed with Ross Hannaford! I want your autograph :)
Old 01-14-2010, 12:38 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollyanna View Post
PFOG, sorry ... MISTER Gold ... you jammed with Ross Hannaford! I want your autograph :)
Yeah, must have been '96 or '97 from memory. He was doing a duo gig with a guy I knew a little by the name of Phil Para (excellent guitarist in his own right and did the best Hendrix tribute act I've ever seen). Was at the bar (no surprises there!!!) when Phil asked if I wanted to sit in on bongos for a few songs. I was never gonna pass up that invite and jumped at the opportunity. Can't remember what we played except for Hi Honey Ho. That Hannaford 'twang' and really deep voice was still in good order too!!
Old 01-14-2010, 02:58 AM
Platinum Member

Ah, wotta buzz! Playing Honey Honey Ho with Ross H. A bit like an Oz version of playing Jumpin Jack Flash with Ronnie Wood. The few times I've been in musical situations beyond my station were so great (aside from my fear that I'd let the side down :)

Larry, see if you can find Jo Jo Zep playing I Believe To My Soul and Security.