DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 11-27-2008, 12:21 PM

Default Cheap effective way of sound protecting a shed?

I was Just asking if anyone knows a good, cheap effective way of sound protecting a shed from band practices. The neighbours have been complaining about the noice that we make, but they don't want us to stop but just to keep it down a bit. So if anyone has any ideas please let me know. I don't really want to spend heaps the max I would probably spend would be about $500. My shed is made out of brick but the garage door has been replaced with a big window and thats where i think most of the noice is coming from.
Thanks
Jonty
Old 11-27-2008, 01:12 PM
Big_Philly

Default Re: Cheap effective way of sound protecting a shed?

it is nearly impossible to make something completely sound proof, especially a room with a drumkit and especially with 500 dollars.
The best you can do is hang up really (!) heavy curtains (multiple layers if your budget allows it), use a drum riser that dampens floor vibrations and hang up old pillows and matresses / whatever you have on the ceiling.
Old 11-27-2008, 01:23 PM
Pioneer Member

For that kind of money there is likely nothing that's going to be effective enough. Have a search for soundproofing, there are some good links. You might do well to spend the cash on some apologetic gifts to give the neighbours.
Old 11-27-2008, 01:59 PM

like people have already mentioned...you are going to struggle to effectively sound proof a shed for $500.

I sound proofed my garage to such a level that you can still hear my band playing from outside in nearby gardens, but its not loud enough for neighboughs to mind.

What I did was put beams up against the brickwork and fill each section with loft insulation and the cover it with wooden boards. Then I covered all the walls in carpet tiles. I carpeted the ceiling (wow that's hard to do lol) then got very thick polystyrene boards and cut them into large squares and secured carpet all the way around the poly board and secured them to the ceiling (like big carpeted ceiling tiles). Also the floor is all carpeted.

all the above came to more than $500, but it shouldn't be too much more if your willing to expand your budget slightly.
Old 11-27-2008, 02:40 PM

Cheap way, i don't think...

But this link may help you understand needs for soundproof.

http://www.soundproofingcompany.com/...brary/articles
Old 11-27-2008, 10:55 PM
jonty1992
This message has been deleted by jonty1992.
Old 11-27-2008, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennywise87 View Post
like people have already mentioned...you are going to struggle to effectively sound proof a shed for $500.

I sound proofed my garage to such a level that you can still hear my band playing from outside in nearby gardens, but its not loud enough for neighboughs to mind.

What I did was put beams up against the brickwork and fill each section with loft insulation and the cover it with wooden boards. Then I covered all the walls in carpet tiles. I carpeted the ceiling (wow that's hard to do lol) then got very thick polystyrene boards and cut them into large squares and secured carpet all the way around the poly board and secured them to the ceiling (like big carpeted ceiling tiles). Also the floor is all carpeted.

all the above came to more than $500, but it shouldn't be too much more if your willing to expand your budget slightly.
Thanks for the reply, but like said we're only renting the place, but if we did own im sure we wouldnt mind spending a bit extra.
Old 11-27-2008, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Philly View Post
it is nearly impossible to make something completely sound proof, especially a room with a drumkit and especially with 500 dollars.
The best you can do is hang up really (!) heavy curtains (multiple layers if your budget allows it), use a drum riser that dampens floor vibrations and hang up old pillows and matresses / whatever you have on the ceiling.
yeah my mum suggested that we should up a curtain. cheers for reply
Old 11-27-2008, 11:50 PM
Platinum Member

$500? Hmm...blankets, carpet scraps, quilts, comforters, pillows, mattresses, cushions...put 'em up everywhere. Layers, if possible.

My kit: http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44195
Old 11-28-2008, 08:28 AM
Silver Member

Frame up the glass door with wood beams and then high density particle board. Here in the USA there is also some high tech building materials that is pretty cheap, check the availability in the land down under and throw some extra shrimp on the barbey for me, mate:

http://www.quietsolution.com/html/quietrock.html
Old 11-30-2008, 05:37 AM

straw bales. line the outside with straw bales and cover well with tarps.
Old 06-14-2012, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennywise87 View Post

is this an effective way im trying to sound proof my shed and another bloke said it wont work http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=91891
Old 06-14-2012, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonty1992 View Post
I was Just asking if anyone knows a good, cheap effective way of sound protecting a shed from band practices. The neighbours have been complaining about the noice that we make, but they don't want us to stop but just to keep it down a bit. So if anyone has any ideas please let me know. I don't really want to spend heaps the max I would probably spend would be about $500. My shed is made out of brick but the garage door has been replaced with a big window and thats where i think most of the noice is coming from.
Thanks
Jonty

Stacked drywall sheets offer the best bang for buck at the $500.00 price point. You should be able to make a small enclosure from drywall and lumber for under that amount. It won't be sound proof by any measure, but it can cut way down not the external volume if you build it carefully.
Old 06-14-2012, 12:23 PM
Silver Member

Most effective for $500 is probably buy a 2nd hand e-kit and use that for practices.
I use an old Yamaha DT Xpress 2 for rehearsals through a small pa and whilst I'd much rather use my proper kit means we have virtually unrestricted practice time available with smiley neighbours !!!
Old 06-14-2012, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witterings View Post
Most effective for $500 is probably buy a 2nd hand e-kit and use that for practices.
I use an old Yamaha DT Xpress 2 for rehearsals through a small pa and whilst I'd much rather use my proper kit means we have virtually unrestricted practice time available with smiley neighbours !!!
I agree. You can get an e-kit pretty cheap that sounds good (Look for entry level used Roland kits) with a basic Simmons amp. Your band mates can then turn down their amps as well.
Old 06-14-2012, 07:33 PM
Pioneer Member

Airtight = sound tight. Plug every little hole and crack in the walls (and around all windows and doors) with caulking or something.
Old 06-14-2012, 07:54 PM
Platinum Member

I am doing a similar project in my basement now and I'll have spent less than that. Here is what I am doing:

Line the existing ceiling and walls with strips of 1x4 and 1x2 wood every 4 to 6 feet, creating space for an air pocket. Using scraps, free.

Put used but good-condition and unused scrap carpet padding in the spaces. The mass and foam will absorb sound. Staple as needed to secure About $30 from a secondhand building materials store.

New light fixtures and relocate fixtures with new wiring and boxes: About $30.

Cover this with scraps of sheetrock, free so far but estimate $50 to complete.

Seal cracks and comb Craigslist for acoustic tile, buy glue for tiles: about $150.

I think carpet padding in a wall space would be an idea sound reducing material, as it is somewhat heavy and soft.

I am doing the labor myself, otherwise it would be very expensive.
Old 06-14-2012, 09:02 PM
Gold Member

Carpet works well; hang clothes line all around the shed one to 2 inches from the walls and hang old (preferably not smelly carpets) from them. The air between the walls and the carpets dampen the sound quite a bit. It works well as I said especailly when the walls are brick or cement.and you could go around flea markets or garage sales or even check it out on the internet for old carpets. This is an idea that has been suggested for a long time in various books on building a cheap home studio. If the shed has a tall ceiling it is also suggessted you hang a golpfer's umbrella above the drum kit to keep the sound down in the playing area but I think that will not be necessary. You would be able to do this over the window as well and when you want light just lift the carpet up.
Old 06-15-2012, 01:42 PM
Pioneer Member

Well from everything I've ever read on soundproofing using carpet,carpet padding, acoustic foam, blankets and such do nothing but control the reflected sound inside the room and does not prevent sound from escaping. To control sound from getting out you need mass and air. Which requires construction of walls with drywall (typically 5/8"), room within a room, roxul mineral wool sound insulation and the list goes on.

For $500 you really aren't going to end up with the result you need. If it's a rental space you are pretty well stuck unless the owner is willing to do some construction.

Option 2 that costs no money have the whole band turn down and play with dynamics
Old 06-15-2012, 03:17 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce M. Thomson View Post
Carpet works well; hang clothes line all around the shed one to 2 inches from the walls and hang old (preferably not smelly carpets) from them. The air between the walls and the carpets dampen the sound quite a bit. It works well as I said especailly when the walls are brick or cement.and you could go around flea markets or garage sales or even check it out on the internet for old carpets. This is an idea that has been suggested for a long time in various books on building a cheap home studio. If the shed has a tall ceiling it is also suggessted you hang a golpfer's umbrella above the drum kit to keep the sound down in the playing area but I think that will not be necessary. You would be able to do this over the window as well and when you want light just lift the carpet up.
If the carpet is heavy enough, that might help. But it would look really ghetto.
Old 06-15-2012, 03:18 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by konaboy View Post
Well from everything I've ever read on soundproofing using carpet,carpet padding, acoustic foam, blankets and such do nothing but control the reflected sound inside the room and does not prevent sound from escaping. To control sound from getting out you need mass and air. Which requires construction of walls with drywall (typically 5/8"), room within a room, roxul mineral wool sound insulation and the list goes on.

For $500 you really aren't going to end up with the result you need. If it's a rental space you are pretty well stuck unless the owner is willing to do some construction.

Option 2 that costs no money have the whole band turn down and play with dynamics
If someone is willing to do the work and is resourceful and knowledgeable, they could do quite a bit with $500.
Old 06-22-2012, 03:40 AM
Silver Member

Talk about ghetto. Styrofoam is actually a pretty good way to kill sound. I helped a friend put up furring strips and line the resulting cavities with styrofoam and it worked pretty well. If you owned the space I'd say build sub-walls and use blown insulation. You can always use egg crates for the inside. ugly but effective. You could always rehearse an "unplugged" version of your show.