DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Closed Thread

Old 04-26-2019, 03:49 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Default Political music

So what is the current attitude about musicians championing a political cause?

You have to admit, songs like Edwin Starr's "War" are very highly charged and to me high charge works great in music.

Dylan was political, U2, and a bunch of others.

So do we like that these days or no?
Old 04-26-2019, 04:07 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Political music

Pop stars used to be rebels, but they're mostly in bed with corporations now. I think it's because money is so much more scarce in the music business that nobody wants to speak out and alienate anybody. You're more likely to find rebellion from people in the tech industry now.
Old 04-26-2019, 04:48 PM
Gold Member

I think songs inspired by current zeitgeists are fine.

Songs like American Idiot and Empty Walls are stupid.
Old 04-26-2019, 05:50 PM
Platinum Member

Songs have been political in nature since the dawn of time. Most Christmas songs were coded with hidden meanings to avoid persecution by authorities, where any proclamation to a higher power would have gotten you killed as an example.

Some songs Iíve listened to for decades and never made the political connections, till way later. Agree or disagree with the message, I still feel it was done tastefully and artistically. Most political songs today are just blatantly obvious spoon fed garbage. They lack depth and certainly require no decoding. No value in that regardless of which side of the message youíre on.
Old 04-26-2019, 06:26 PM
Platinum Member

Is this the time to promote my free album?

Free Album
Old 04-26-2019, 06:31 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8Mile View Post
.... You're more likely to find rebellion from people in the tech industry now.

Are they rebelling against themselves?
Old 04-26-2019, 06:36 PM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

I don't see a problem with a message in the music... don't all songs (with lyrics) have a message of some kind? If I don't like a song or the attitude of the band behind it, that's simple enough to avoid.

What I don't like - or think is career smart - is for an artist to show too much of their political leanings apart from their music. In other words, interviews that aren't in the context of their career. Someone being dragged into the national news so their celebrity status can boost a position. I just think that's sticking their neck out, regardless of the side they're on. Even where I agree with someone, I cringe a little that they're out there like that. Just make music, people.

Yes, Bono has been all over the news for years, but his message is more humanitarian than political. And he does that on his own terms, not because he was trotted out in front of CNN's cameras to boost their political agenda during a current administration.

Bermuda
Old 04-26-2019, 06:41 PM
Platinum Member

Bono. The man that bangs on about charity but is registered in a tax haven and flies private jets around the World...
Old 04-26-2019, 06:55 PM
Administrator - Mayor

The 70's seemed to be nothing but messages about the Govt. etc, and now it seems to be about musical groups either suing, or telling candidates to cease and desist for using songs without permission.
Old 04-26-2019, 06:59 PM

David Byrne has put together a great list of protest songs, which I think is an important, if only slight, differentiation from political songs.

I've been getting into my local music scene lately, which has a lot of musicians that write and perform original music with strong messages. Though the music style isn't often "punk," it has the same ethos of focusing more on expression and a message rather than chops and musicianship. I dig it.
Old 04-26-2019, 07:38 PM

I rather like politically-charged rock and roll songs. Get angry and shout about it, it's great. But outside of the music, I'd rather listen to the opinions of an expert, thank you very much.
Old 04-26-2019, 08:06 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EhhSoCheap View Post
..David Byrne has put together a great list of protest songs, which I think is an important, if only slight, differentiation from political songs.

I've been getting into my local music scene lately, which has a lot of musicians that write and perform original music with strong messages. Though the music style isn't often "punk," it has the same ethos of focusing more on expression and a message rather than chops and musicianship. I dig it..

I agree with every word written here..

That Baby Huey version from A Change Is Gonna Come is amazing, just like the whole The Complete Baby Huey Story album..

Which has been kinda influencial on Hiphop too btw..
Old 04-26-2019, 08:19 PM
Platinum Member

I'm surprised "Rape Me" by Nirvana wasn't in David Byrne's list. That hit me like a ton of bricks when I was a teenager, in a good way. As did Public Enemy, Rage Against The Machine, Marvin Gaye, John Lennon, and others. I needed that perspective badly, having been "educated" in Catholic school for 12 years.
Old 04-26-2019, 08:31 PM
Platinum Member

The Revolution Will Not Be Televised

This is by far my favorite political song. It's more than just that, it's also a rub at society in general. Very well thought out, and a great song too.

I like political music that isn't whiny. The whole "poor me, it's your fault" crap I don't like. Just piss, moan, and complain. Don't get all sensitive about it.
Old 04-26-2019, 09:16 PM
Silver Member

The eastern world, it is exploding. Violence flaring, bullets loading....
That line is 50 years old. My question is "Just how long is this Eve of Destruction" going to last. Ay 68, I'm running out of time.

When I go to concert, I am there to be entertained, NOT lectured on what's wrong with___ and who has a better solution.
Old 04-26-2019, 09:26 PM
Administrator - Mayor

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwesley View Post
That line is 50 years old. My question is "Just how long is this Eve of Destruction" going to last. Ay 68, I'm running out of time.

When I go to concert, I am there to be entertained, NOT lectured on what's wrong with___ and who has a better solution.
That is the whole problem.. Lots of whiners and complainers and very few fixers.
Old 04-26-2019, 10:17 PM
Platinum Member

My metric modulations sometimes get a response like an aggressiv political message. Does that count?
Old 04-26-2019, 10:48 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacteriumFendYoke View Post
Bono. The man that bangs on about charity but is registered in a tax haven and flies private jets around the World...
Yes I agree, one of the bigger hypocrites.

Me, I am fine if the message is written and sung, or even has hidden meanings, but prefer no politics whatsoever in live performance, certainly not somebody on stage going off on a poli-rant between songs.
I was at a Neil young concert and the person beside me kept shouting after every song: ' ya, Neil, sustainable development!" Very annoying
Old 04-27-2019, 01:19 AM

I absolutely hate when politics gets shoehorned in where it doesn't belong.

Some self-righteous rock star trying to lecture to the crowd between songs, when it has nothing to do with their music, it's just nauseating.

People came to see you because of your music, not because you're some self-proclaimed moral authority on something.

If somehow you got famous because you are a political musician, I have no problem with it.

Same thing goes for athletes. Nobody cares what you think. You're famous because you run fast or throw a ball, not for your commentary on social issues or international relations.

I'm fine with rich musicians having a cause that they champion on the side, like feeding the homeless, or water in Africa...IF they're humble about it. Just don't preach about society's woes while I'm trying to hear my favorite song.

Alternatively, a band like Rage Against the Machine is perfectly fine. They are political somewhat, but it's about being "against the establishment." That was the nature of their music from the beginning. It's about being against authority, a long-standing tradition in the rock/punk genre.

Politics has its place in music, but a very tiny place.
Old 04-27-2019, 02:06 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwesley View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBitePrettyHard View Post

Some self-righteous rock star trying to lecture to the crowd between songs, when it has nothing to do with their music, it's just nauseating.

People came to see you because of your music, not because you're some self-proclaimed moral authority on something.

If somehow you got famous because you are a political musician, I have no problem with it.

Same thing goes for athletes. Nobody cares what you think. You're famous because you run fast or throw a ball, not for your commentary on social issues or international relations.

I'm fine with rich musicians having a cause that they champion on the side, like feeding the homeless, or water in Africa...IF they're humble about it. Just don't preach about society's woes while I'm trying to hear my favorite song.

Alternatively, a band like Rage Against the Machine is perfectly fine. They are political somewhat, but it's about being "against the establishment." That was the nature of their music from the beginning. It's about being against authority, a long-standing tradition in the rock/punk genre.

Couldnít agree more. There are some bands, that while I disagree with their stance, so masterfully and elegantly write their political message into their music, I just love it for its creativity. That said, I donít want to be lectured to on stage about it.

No one care on this forum if I posted about the how tos of baking the best apple pie anymore than I care about what they tell me about their political view. I donít know how to bake a pie anymore than they know politics and from what Iíve seen about baking pies, itís less involved and greater results are achieved by following recipes than are politics.
Old 04-27-2019, 03:20 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:

The Beatles kicked off their career with "Love Me Do". Years later, we got "Revolution", "Happiness Is A Warm Gun", and "Imagine". It's not a bad thing to let artists develop over time, and get more political as they go along.

From what I remember, RATM was always very specific about its agenda. They specifically championed the rights of American indigenous tribes, lamented the death of Malcolm X, and famously protested the PMRC. This is off the top of my head.

Frank Sinatra and Quincy Jones protested the Las Vegas Sands' policy the kept black musicians lodged in a separate motel, while white musicians lodged on site. The Sands relented to Sinatra's demands, and changed their policy from that day forward. The protest allowed them to perform, and record Live At The Sands, where Sinatra is backed by the Duke Ellington Orchestra, conducted by Quincy Jones. It's arguably Sinatra's best recording.

And there is a long tradition of athletes protesting politically. Muhammad Ali resisted being drafted for the Vietnam war, and was quite vocal about it. More recently, Venus Williams protested unequal payments for Wimbledon winners, resulting in Wimbledon making the prize money for male and female champions the same.
Old 04-27-2019, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentcn View Post
The Beatles kicked off their career with "Love Me Do". Years later, we got "Revolution", "Happiness Is A Warm Gun", and "Imagine". It's not a bad thing to let artists develop over time, and get more political as they go along.

From what I remember, RATM was always very specific about its agenda. They specifically championed the rights of American indigenous tribes, lamented the death of Malcolm X, and famously protested the PMRC. This is off the top of my head.

Frank Sinatra and Quincy Jones protested the Las Vegas Sands' policy the kept black musicians lodged in a separate motel, while white musicians lodged on site. The Sands relented to Sinatra's demands, and changed their policy from that day forward. The protest allowed them to perform, and record Live At The Sands, where Sinatra is backed by the Duke Ellington Orchestra, conducted by Quincy Jones. It's arguably Sinatra's best recording.

And there is a long tradition of athletes protesting politically. Muhammad Ali resisted being drafted for the Vietnam war, and was quite vocal about it. More recently, Venus Williams protested unequal payments for Wimbledon winners, resulting in Wimbledon making the prize money for male and female champions the same.
I agree that those are good examples of "acceptable" uses of politics in music. But you'll notice that in almost all your examples, A) the artists were subtle or at least artistic in how they presented the politics (The Beatles), or B) they stood up for something that directly involved them in the music business or sports.

For every good example like this, there's 100 more that are unacceptable.

For instance, badmouthing a sitting President publicly (Obama or Trump, doesn't matter), when you are NOT known for being a political thought leader, is obnoxious. 100% eye-roll and cringe-inducing. Nobody cares, stay in your lane.

Artists are constantly telling politicians that they can't use their music simply because their politics don't align. Just so they can get high fives from people on "their team." It's petty.

My point is, tribalism has gotten bad in the music industry lately. It's BS to have to like or dislike an artist simply because of their politics. What ever happened to keeping the two things separate? A Redneck and a Hippy can like the same music.
Old 04-27-2019, 05:00 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
..I absolutely hate when politics gets shoehorned in where it doesn't belong..

And where is that exactly..?

Music is an art-form and art always has been a reflection of society and political views of that time..

Maybe not that much when your musical reference is limited to Toto, Bryan Adams and a bunch of other Classic Rock, but within Soul, Funk, Hiphop, Rap, Reggae, World music, etc, political views/statements are not unusual at all..

But i have the feeling that those things are not very close to your musical life..
Old 04-27-2019, 05:54 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I agree that those are good examples of "acceptable" uses of politics in music. But you'll notice that in almost all your examples, A) the artists were subtle or at least artistic in how they presented the politics (The Beatles), or B) they stood up for something that directly involved them in the music business or sports.

For every good example like this, there's 100 more that are unacceptable.

For instance, badmouthing a sitting President publicly (Obama or Trump, doesn't matter), when you are NOT known for being a political thought leader, is obnoxious. 100% eye-roll and cringe-inducing. Nobody cares, stay in your lane.

Artists are constantly telling politicians that they can't use their music simply because their politics don't align. Just so they can get high fives from people on "their team." It's petty.

My point is, tribalism has gotten bad in the music industry lately. It's BS to have to like or dislike an artist simply because of their politics. What ever happened to keeping the two things separate? A Redneck and a Hippy can like the same music.
By this logic, itís okay for a woman to pen a political song about, say, rape, but a man shouldnít? Where does that put Kurt Cobainís Rape Me? The Beatles had no dog in the Vietnam fight, but wrote Revolution anyway. Zack DeLa Rocha has no Native American heritage, but advocates for their rights throughout RATMs lyrics. I donít agree that attempts to get political must only come from the afflicted or directly involved, in order to be ďgoodĒ. All that is necessary is empathy.

Artists can, and should, be able to determine who uses their intellectual property and when, until the song is public domain. There is nothing petty about saying ďI disagree with your views, so we should not be business partners.Ē What seems petty to you may be deeply personal. ďStay in your laneĒ implies that some people get to decide when itís ok for others speak out.

Politics and art have pretty much never been separate. It just seems more frequent because of social media, short news cycles, and a racist president. It sounds like youíre exhausted by it.

(Southerners and hippies both seem to dig bluegrass.)
Old 04-27-2019, 11:22 AM

The purpose of art is to reflect on society and provide a sounding board. Anyone who goes on stage to share their views on society or politics has my attention.

Dutch
Old 04-27-2019, 12:10 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill View Post
Are they rebelling against themselves?
Ha Ha Hope So.https://youtu.be/7oJ7quLZA9g Me i stick to the old Faithfuls.https://youtu.be/NomkEisDQjY
Old 04-27-2019, 12:49 PM
Administrator

The moment the music becomes a vehicle for something, I switch off.
Old 04-27-2019, 01:45 PM
Platinum Member

Even Jeff Beck? Wow...
Old 04-27-2019, 01:59 PM
Gold Member

Here's the thing. Music is a form of expression.

What really grinds my gears is when people tell musicians/actors/people in the public eye not to have opinions or express themselves and to stick to only talking about their profession, as if their view isn't any less valid than you or the ordinary man or woman in the street who may actually have other interests outside of their job, or things that affect them or the people they are close to. I find it just as tedious and comparable as the argument that female commentators shouldn't be working in male sports.

For example, like us a bunch of people most of which are in professions outside of music but here we are talking about drums!! Should only professional drummers be able to talk about drums?

Admittedly if they are commenting whilst contradicting themselves and doing it in self serving/promoting fashion that's fair game and very tedious, aka Bono.

My band sometimes comments or touches on political/social issues in our songs as it's stuff we want to comment on as it affects either us, people we know or our society in general. I'd call it empathy but I'm sure people on the other side wouldn't agree.

If you don't like what people are saying don't tune in or listen. Musicians have the right to say whatever they want in their music, you also have a right to listen or not listen, but you don't have the right to dictate to people what they can or cannot express.

Granted if I went to a concert and it turned into more of a political rally I'd also get slightly impatient as that's not the purpose I paid money for but it does have its place actually in music and dictating to musicians what they should put in to what they are actually creating themselves isn't a good look.
Old 04-27-2019, 04:30 PM
Platinum Member

When in the work place or with family, one has to decide if stating their view is worth the risk of alienating those around them or being fired. While music is a form of expression, if musicians plan to maintain their following, they have to decide if itís worth losing 50% or more of their fan base. In this day and age you could even start a riot.

While we all DO have interests outside of drums or music and probably have some pretty strong political opinions, we are banned if we blurt them out on this forum, why, because 1) they get ugly quick. 2) thereís no way to tell what someone has experienced and where they come to their views. 3) we live in different parts of the world with different stressors, concerns, etc. itís a drum forum and we fight over bearing edges, shell material and other stupid stuff. Politics is much more hot and actually far more impactful than this or that lug.

At least as a average people, weíre directly impacted by those politics and policies. We damn sure have the right to debate them if we feel....but mostly donít. Now, when you tour the world, making $$$$$ every night, having all arrangements made for you, going here, touring there, even if you donít make the big bucks, your life is very different than 99.9999999% of the rest of us. Why you as an artist may feel very strongly on a topic and certainly have the right (in some countries) to express yourself, with that comes the fact that you can alienate your fan base.

Two line workers battling it out during lunch in full disagreement is one thing. They for the most part share the same type of lifestyle. Writing political songs is one thing, but even if you are a local band and blurting off politics between songs, no one knows anything about you or where you come from, so no your opinions donít matter. You donít need to educate me. I can read too.

So, In summery, no, your celebrity opinions donít matter and actually matter far less than the guy next door. Itís also a lecture when youíre up on stage or behind the mic in an interview, because I donít get to state my opinion back. I came to watch your ďmusicĒ show, so shut up and play. Like us normal peons, best to keep your opinions to yourself and do what you were hired to do.
Old 04-27-2019, 05:46 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzHeat View Post
They have to decide if it’s worth losing 50% or more of their fan base. In this day and age you could even start a riot.do.
But again the artist/band chooses what they put into what they create.

Personally speaking one of our songs that is a Social/Political comment is our most popular song. It’s not something we set out to do, it came to be, we liked it, recorded it and released it and some people seemed to like it also so I don’t relate to alienating people. One of our follow up singles about Valentine’s Day barely got a reaction from anyone!!

If anything it helped attract people who are into the band and what it stands for more. If people like a song with a political or social message cool! If they don’t that’s cool too!

Either way I’m not going to loose sleep if people don’t like our music, for whatever reason and I’m content with what we are doing and proud of my bandmates and what each person stands for and speaks up about.

Would rather be in a band with those type of people than people who don’t stand for anything, serving themselves worrying about social media likes/streams/sales and don’t say anything for self serving reasons.

Quote:
Politics is much more hot and actually far more impactful than this or that lug.
Exactly, which is why people from all walks of life will comment on it and discuss it and speak out.

Quote:
At least as a average people, we’re directly impacted by those politics and policies.
Everyone is impacted by the decisions politicians make, the size of your wallet doesn’t come into it.

Quote:
We damn sure have the right to debate them if we feel....but mostly don’t. Now, when you tour the world, making $$$$$ every night, having all arrangements made for you, going here, touring there, even if you don’t make the big bucks, your life is very different than 99.9999999% of the rest of us
Careful not to put people in the public eye on too much of a pedestal. People who are privileged from their background to their profession can have empathy towards people that are impacted by other things.

Quote:
but even if you are a local band and blurting off politics between songs, no one knows anything about you or where you come from, so no your opinions don’t matter. You don’t need to educate me. I can read too.
But a local band is, in your view, more impacted by politics and probably one of those line workers you mentioned!!

Quote:
So, In summery, no, your celebrity opinions don’t matter and actually matter far less than the guy next door. It’s also a lecture when you’re up on stage or behind the mic in an interview, because I don’t get to state my opinion back. I came to watch your “music” show, so shut up and play. Like us normal peons, best to keep your opinions to yourself and do what you were hired to do.
But an interview isn’t for your benefit, the artist is being interviewed, not you. They can choose to say whatever they want, you can choose to read/listen to it.

Again, I agree on shows becoming political statements are tedious, something my band doesn’t actually do despite some of our music, but at a show if we did say something political briefly and someone told us to “shut up and play” and told me to keep our opinions to ourselves, showing that level of rudeness I’d happily tell that person where to go, in no uncertain terms.
Old 04-27-2019, 06:21 PM
Silver Member

It used to be pretty cut and dried-everyone, even Rock Stars, had an inalienable right to an opinion. And, everyone else had a right to agree or disagree with that opinion.

However, it is no longer cut and dry. We have now entered the Twilight Zone, living out the nightmare of both 1984 AND Animal Farm....

Where certain "opinions" are not only profitable but promoted and protected, while other "opinions" are villifed, silenced, outlawed, 'disappeared', and punished-regardless of how true they may be. This double standard is the only thing that really bothers me about it.

My only recourse at this time is to avoid any support financially or otherwise of those "artists" espousing a view or views contrary to the truth as I see it.

Interestingly enough, with all the warnings against "politcal or religious" topics or discussion, we find oursleves in the middle of this thread. How long it stays remains to be seen.

Not sure how to avoid discussing politics while discussing politics.
Old 04-27-2019, 06:29 PM
Platinum Member

Politics and religion are no-no's for obvious reasons, but there are different kinds politics. When those two subjects mix is when we really get into trouble.

I'll stick to politics in regards to music education and I doubt that will ever be a problem.
Old 04-27-2019, 06:31 PM
Platinum Member

Wonder how long it's gonna be until some artist gets sued for making political comments on stage that don't agree with the spectator. The spectator paid to see music, and if the artist upsets them, surely there is some stupid legal caveat they can persue. People get so butt-hurt over the littlest things anymore.

If I don't do my job to my employers satisfaction, they can fire me. If I buy a ticket to a show and are unsatisfied, I should be able to get my money back. No different than returning a crappy product to the store.
Old 04-27-2019, 07:08 PM
Platinum Member

Juniper, if it works for you, keep doing it. Iím happy for you. Out here in the US, everything is currently charged with almost a 50/50 split across every issue. If you feel itís a good idea to lose 50% of your fan base by getting on a soapbox, than so be it.

Now, if your fans come as a result of your politics, then thatís a different story. People go to political rallies all the time. They just know what their walking into. Itís really dangerous to do this though, if people came for your music and have to listen to your soapbox. This is all Iím saying.

Canít watch hardly anything without being spoon fed someoneís opinion on something completely unrelated anymore. The decision is up to the artist much like the rest of us. They canít however be surprised by the outcome if they deviate from the main purpose for their being where they are.

I donít personally see how me watching a local band spout off their political views should have more value than a pro or even the line guys. I donít know you. I came for your music. I donít care what you think, anymore than you would if I grabbed the mic.

I sometimes find myself across the table in a business transaction when someone drops a political bomb. On the customer side, they may be feeling you out to see if they want to go through with the transaction. On our side, thatíll be a major beat down, so I canít even afford to flinch, even if in 100% agreement. Thereís a time and place for that and unsolicited comments/opinions add great risk...even if in agreement. Music and the stage are no different.

As stated above, glad itís working for you. The climate in the U.K. is likely way different than other parts of the world, so your results may vary.
Old 04-27-2019, 08:26 PM
Platinum Member

The only problem with it is that most overtly political music isn't very good. There are exceptions:

Woody Guthrie, covered by Billy Bragg - All You Fascists
Archie Shepp - Attica Blues
Charles Mingus - Fables of Faubus
Public Enemy - Fight the Power
Le Tigre - Bang Bang
Dead Kennedys - Nazi Punks F--- Off
Fela Kuti - Zombie
Charlie Haden - Song for Che

The idea that there's some imaginary line between politics and everything else in the world-- especially the arts-- is ridiculous. People like to pretend they can wield the power of the marketplace to shut up musicians who say things they don't like, but ultimately no one cares. It is expected that most artists will be pretty lefty, and 90% of people do not make their consumer decisions based on politics anyway.
Old 04-27-2019, 08:57 PM
Platinum Member

"Tutu" is nice.

I'm a right wing leftist btw.
Old 04-27-2019, 09:13 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Juniper, if it works for you, keep doing it. I’m happy for you. Out here in the US, everything is currently charged with almost a 50/50 split across every issue. If you feel it’s a good idea to lose 50% of your fan base by getting on a soapbox, than so be it.

Now, if your fans come as a result of your politics, then that’s a different story. People go to political rallies all the time. They just know what their walking into. It’s really dangerous to do this though, if people came for your music and have to listen to your soapbox. This is all I’m saying.

Can’t watch hardly anything without being spoon fed someone’s opinion on something completely unrelated anymore. The decision is up to the artist much like the rest of us. They can’t however be surprised by the outcome if they deviate from the main purpose for their being where they are.

I don’t personally see how me watching a local band spout off their political views should have more value than a pro or even the line guys. I don’t know you. I came for your music. I don’t care what you think, anymore than you would if I grabbed the mic.

I sometimes find myself across the table in a business transaction when someone drops a political bomb. On the customer side, they may be feeling you out to see if they want to go through with the transaction. On our side, that’ll be a major beat down, so I can’t even afford to flinch, even if in 100% agreement. There’s a time and place for that and unsolicited comments/opinions add great risk...even if in agreement. Music and the stage are no different.

As stated above, glad it’s working for you. The climate in the U.K. is likely way different than other parts of the world, so your results may vary.
It does work for us, even if it's not actually an intentional thing. We're not a 'political band' but will that stop us commenting on things we don't agree with? No.

I dont agree with you that by doing so you loose 50% of your followers, I've mentioned that in fact (for us) that hasn't been the case. The political landscape & divide in the US and U.K. right now probably isn't that dissimilar but I guess we can just put it down to a difffence of opinion and that's completely cool.

Not trying to change your mind as you're welcome to yours and I'm welcome to mine. Just one of those things we can disagree on as adults and that's fine.
Old 04-27-2019, 09:45 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juniper View Post
It does work for us, even if it's not actually an intentional thing. We're not a 'political band' but will that stop us commenting on things we don't agree with? No.

I dont agree with you that by doing so you loose 50% of your followers, I've mentioned that in fact (for us) that hasn't been the case. The political landscape & divide in the US and U.K. right now probably isn't that dissimilar but I guess we can just put it down to a difffence of opinion and that's completely cool.

Not trying to change your mind as you're welcome to yours and I'm welcome to mine. Just one of those things we can disagree on as adults and that's fine.
Fair enough. It should never be about forcing an opinion, but a fair exchange of positions. Itís too bad it rarely goes that way. Cheers!
Old 04-28-2019, 05:20 PM
Gold Member

I feel artist sharing with us the things they are passionate about or concerned with in the form of lyrics and music is natural and as others have stated it's always been this way. What I dont like is musicians and celebrities saying controversial thing's just for the hell of it, to get attention. And I'm sure often this is the case.
Closed Thread