DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 01-23-2019, 04:58 PM

Default Self-taught drummer tips

I am relatively new and don't have money. Once I get enough money consistently, I want to do lessons with Go-Go Ray. In the meantime, I need some help keeping myself motivated and help me improve my skills.
Old 01-23-2019, 05:51 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Self-taught drummer tips

What are your specific goals in playing? In other words, what do you want to be able to do?

What kind(s) of music do you want to play?
Old 01-23-2019, 06:09 PM

I was just thinking the other day how amazing it is to be learning an instrument in 2019. YouTube is overflowing with content, and has been my go-to for explanations of technique, examples of exercises, etc.
Old 01-23-2019, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkPieGuy View Post
What are your specific goals in playing? In other words, what do you want to be able to do?

What kind(s) of music do you want to play?
Blues and rock/hard rock mainly. I just want to improve my skills and help myself stay motivated
Old 01-23-2019, 11:47 PM
Platinum Member

It is a little vague.

You should have a balance of working on your technique and learning songs. If you're smart you'll learn how to read as well.

Can you afford a few books, DVDs or a typical $30 pr. month website subscription?
Old 01-24-2019, 12:14 AM

Jamming to a stereo turned up loud is all the instruction I ever had. Might work for you too!
Old 01-24-2019, 02:22 AM
Gold Member

If you can do it, it might be good to just get one lesson here and there. Then supplement with online resources. A lot of teachers even might do a trial lesson. It would be good to at least take a couple early to make sure you get some basic technique things out of the way, to make sure you either don't develop too many bad habits. That is the downside a lot of times of just learning on your own. The last thing you want to do is develop a way of playing that could cause yourself injury.
Old 01-24-2019, 04:14 AM
Platinum Member

The only person to motivate you,... is you. You have to have an interest and desire to learn whatever it is you want to accomplish.
As noted above, plenty of resources to get started on the internet, from how to do some basic rudiments, to playing basic beats along to a metronome, to ya, cutting loose to playing along as best you can to your fave music.
My tip is to start all 3 of those things in various amounts. Enjoy the journey.
Old 01-24-2019, 05:38 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yammyfan View Post
Jamming to a stereo turned up loud is all the instruction I ever had. Might work for you too!
Even better these days, you can jam along to drumless tracks and thats fun and challenging. I do it pretty regularly now that I got a little v-drum set and Im enjoying getting my blowing out of the way (Im still new back to playing so my drumming has a lot to say, too much) and just trying to fit in and make it work as a song, music...not just a canvas for me to blow all over. My newly found band mates will def appreciate me settling down a bit, I find just trying to make a play along track cook is what Im digging now and it keeps me motivated.

Try some play alongs.

edit....Im also self taught, but probably wouldve cut my journey in half by getting some good instruction and a practice regiment....or I would've lost interest cuz now its work, who knows.
Old 01-24-2019, 05:54 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Covey View Post
Blues and rock/hard rock mainly. I just want to improve my skills and help myself stay motivated
Well, I'd start with learning blues, rock, and hard rock songs. There are tons drum covers online to watch. I'd buy some Shure 215 in-ear monitors and watch videos on your iphone and play along.

Start with "Back in Black."
Old 01-24-2019, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Boogie View Post
Even better these days, you can jam along to drumless tracks and thats fun and challenging. I do it pretty regularly now that I got a little v-drum set and Im enjoying getting my blowing out of the way (Im still new back to playing so my drumming has a lot to say, too much) and just trying to fit in and make it work as a song, music...not just a canvas for me to blow all over. My newly found band mates will def appreciate me settling down a bit, I find just trying to make a play along track cook is what Im digging now and it keeps me motivated.

Try some play alongs.

edit....Im also self taught, but probably wouldve cut my journey in half by getting some good instruction and a practice regiment....or I would've lost interest cuz now its work, who knows.
Play-along tracks are great. Many of them don't have vocals (which I rely on for additional cues) but they're great nonetheless.

I wish that I had taken lessons back in the mid-80's when I started but that wasn't in the cards for me. It's remarkable what I've been able to achieve on my own but I feel like I could have gone pro had I had more training. It didn't help that I took nearly 20 years off to raise a family.

I'm a big fan of jamming along to records, as you can tell. Playing with live musicians will cause you to raise your game as well.
Old 01-24-2019, 06:59 PM

John Bonham,,triplets
Purdie ,,,shuffle
are two good ones to learn
Old 01-24-2019, 08:28 PM
Platinum Member

1. Step away from the computer.

2. Pick up your sticks and play :)

As far as motivation, just think of all the women who will be chasing after you :)