DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #161  
Old 02-12-2019, 10:44 PM
belairien's Avatar
belairien belairien is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Wimer Oregon
Posts: 840
Default Re: Current drum trends you wish would go away

Probably the worst trend is judging other drummers for following current trends. I'm sure that has been going on since the first kit came in to being though. I mean, can you believe some drummers use THREE whole toms?!

Just poking fun :P

I do silly things, like using a cymbal full of holes as a main crash, and a ride as a main crash, and a crash as a main crash... Basically anything other than hihats I use as a main crash. "Virginized" my kit with a mount plate, flat/near flat drums and cymbals, 19/20/21 core cymbal setup (minus hats that are 14" but looking for a good set of 15 or 16) and more recently, the dreaded piccolo snare as a main snare! *Gasp! shock and horror*

Also, wide open tunings, fusion sizes and 4 piece kits with thin cymbals in extreme styles that demand a 20+ piece kit with inch thick pies :o
__________________
"We're not here for your breakdowns! We're here for your beer!" ~Graveburner
Reply With Quote
  #162  
Old 02-13-2019, 02:46 AM
JustJames's Avatar
JustJames JustJames is online now
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Sydney Australia
Posts: 3,175
Default Re: Current drum trends you wish would go away

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlin' Bones View Post
Trad grip certainly isn't a "Current drum trend". Nothing called traditional could be a current trend or fad lol.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #163  
Old 02-13-2019, 04:36 PM
Rattlin' Bones's Avatar
Rattlin' Bones Rattlin' Bones is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 1,159
Default Re: Current drum trends you wish would go away

I though that might have been a bit of tongue planted firmly in cheek. You got me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJames View Post
Reply With Quote
  #164  
Old 02-13-2019, 05:46 PM
JustJames's Avatar
JustJames JustJames is online now
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Sydney Australia
Posts: 3,175
Default Re: Current drum trends you wish would go away

Truth is, there is precious little in this entire thread that can be regarded as current trend.

I was responding to the notion that matched grip was a current trend.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #165  
Old 02-13-2019, 07:54 PM
Dr_Watso's Avatar
Dr_Watso Dr_Watso is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 6,756
Default Re: Current drum trends you wish would go away

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
Trends are for the trendy.
But before that, they're for hipsters!
__________________
"Overthinking is at the very core of our mission here." -Uncle Larry
Reply With Quote
  #166  
Old 02-13-2019, 09:03 PM
jornthedrummer jornthedrummer is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 910
Default Re: Current drum trends you wish would go away

Ive seen a guy in a cover band replace his ride with a stack. No ride on his setup. Not a single song they played had a stack in the original recording.

Hope he feels better now.
Reply With Quote
  #167  
Old 02-13-2019, 09:27 PM
Captain Bash Captain Bash is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Nottingham, UK
Posts: 521
Default Re: Current drum trends you wish would go away

Cymbal stacks have been around since late 1970s, as some may have probably already pointed out Steve Gadd was using them in early 80s. So I dont really see them as a current trend. But I suspect recordings/playing over featuring stacks will sound very dated very quickly.

The gear trend I was most happy to see go away is stupidly deep bass drums, overly large hi-hats (anything above 15 will go the same way). Sell those 17 hats now.......bleeding money, bleeding into your snare microphone.
Reply With Quote
  #168  
Old 02-13-2019, 10:01 PM
Tamaefx's Avatar
Tamaefx Tamaefx is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: France
Posts: 913
Default Re: Current drum trends you wish would go away

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bash View Post

The gear trend I was most happy to see go away is stupidly deep bass drums, overly large hi-hats (anything above 15 will go the same way). Sell those 17 hats now.......bleeding money, bleeding into your snare microphone.
And even worse : deep bass drum with ultra deep hoop. Silly, you really need to have room to waste on stage or in your car.
Reply With Quote
  #169  
Old 02-13-2019, 10:32 PM
Pocket-full-of-gold's Avatar
Pocket-full-of-gold Pocket-full-of-gold is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Melbourne, Australia.
Posts: 11,361
Default Re: Current drum trends you wish would go away

Maybe drums should just go away?

After 5 whole pages of woe, I'm left with the impression that there's really not too much about the instrument that anyone actually likes.
Reply With Quote
  #170  
Old 02-13-2019, 10:44 PM
Red Menace's Avatar
Red Menace Red Menace is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Arizona, USA
Posts: 2,811
Default Re: Current drum trends you wish would go away

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold View Post
After 5 whole pages of woe, I'm left with the impression that there's really not too much about the instrument that anyone actually likes.
Aye, I'm keeping my 16" hats, call me trendy I don't care.
__________________
Classy grip all day.

Mah Rogers
Snares
Reply With Quote
  #171  
Old 02-13-2019, 10:50 PM
Dr_Watso's Avatar
Dr_Watso Dr_Watso is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 6,756
Default Re: Current drum trends you wish would go away

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Menace View Post
Aye, I'm keeping my 16" hats, call me trendy I don't care.
Whatever you say Mr. Trendy I don't care.
__________________
"Overthinking is at the very core of our mission here." -Uncle Larry
Reply With Quote
  #172  
Old 02-13-2019, 11:03 PM
Mustion Mustion is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 493
Default Re: Current drum trends you wish would go away

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamaefx View Post
And even worse : deep bass drum with ultra deep hoop. Silly, you really need to have room to waste on stage or in your car.
Oh man, I forgot about those! What was the supposed reasoning behind that, anyway?
Reply With Quote
  #173  
Old 02-13-2019, 11:10 PM
Red Menace's Avatar
Red Menace Red Menace is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Arizona, USA
Posts: 2,811
Default Re: Current drum trends you wish would go away

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustion View Post
Oh man, I forgot about those! What was the supposed reasoning behind that, anyway?
I think people just thought they looked cool. Personally I hated them but I'm kind of a grumpy old man when it comes to new drum trends, don't let those 16" hats fool you.

I thought I remembered reading that it was supposed to increase sustain or some load of entry-level marketing BS. There was a time where that whole Travis Barker setup was the hot ticket. High, flat cymbals and hats, deep bass with a doublewide front hoop, lots of black and gray tattoos and shallow toms.
__________________
Classy grip all day.

Mah Rogers
Snares
Reply With Quote
  #174  
Old 02-14-2019, 05:11 PM
Mustion Mustion is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 493
Default Re: Current drum trends you wish would go away

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Menace View Post
I think people just thought they looked cool. Personally I hated them but I'm kind of a grumpy old man when it comes to new drum trends, don't let those 16" hats fool you.

I thought I remembered reading that it was supposed to increase sustain or some load of entry-level marketing BS. There was a time where that whole Travis Barker setup was the hot ticket. High, flat cymbals and hats, deep bass with a doublewide front hoop, lots of black and gray tattoos and shallow toms.
Don't forget a checkerboard design plastered on SOMETHING.

Those extra-wide hoops always looked like they were begging to be broken. Not surprised that fad didn't last.

BTW... I like 16" hats in the right context... found a set that sounds AMAZING.
Reply With Quote
  #175  
Old 02-14-2019, 06:05 PM
Frosticles's Avatar
Frosticles Frosticles is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Sherwood Forest, England
Posts: 919
Default Re: Current drum trends you wish would go away

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJames View Post
Traditional grip. Utter narcissistic wankery. It made sense when drummers were cannon fodder, and marching drums tilted away from the drummer but totally unnecessary with an adjustable snare stand.

And as for using an adjustable snare stand, angled to replicate the deficiencies of a traditional marching snare...
Am with you all the way brother............
__________________
The Varukers
Endorser of Scymtek Cymbals - & The LondonDrumstick Company.
Reply With Quote
  #176  
Old 02-14-2019, 06:11 PM
Frosticles's Avatar
Frosticles Frosticles is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Sherwood Forest, England
Posts: 919
Default Re: Current drum trends you wish would go away

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamaefx View Post
And even worse : deep bass drum with ultra deep hoop. Silly, you really need to have room to waste on stage or in your car.
Love my 22x20 Bass Drum. Agree with you on the wank hoops though :)
__________________
The Varukers
Endorser of Scymtek Cymbals - & The LondonDrumstick Company.
Reply With Quote
  #177  
Old 02-18-2019, 08:34 AM
PacificDrum0301 PacificDrum0301 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 38
Default Re: Current drum trends you wish would go away

The only thing I find irritating is the state of shell packs.

10, 12, 16, 22 "Rock" configurations are everywhere. I wouldn't mind seeing 8 x 10, 9 x 13, and 16 x 16 or even the classic 8 x 12, 9 x 13, 16 x 16 in modern kits.

I can understand the 10/12/14 fusion sizes being paired with a 20" kicks (not sure why they were paired with a 18 x 22" kick in the late 90s to early 2000s but yeah).

The one thing I am enjoying is the shift towards traditional sizes. A lot of bass drums have been shrinking down to 16 x 22 or even the classic 14 x 22. Rack toms are back to 8 x 12 or 9 x 13 on certain 3 piece kits. Floor toms are also for the most part back to square sizes being 14 x 14 or 16 x 16, but Yamaha still has their 14 x 13 and 16 x 15 thing going on. I think the extra resonance of the deeper size on floors makes perfect sense as a lot of the vibration is being canceled out through the legs. Its a subtle nitpick thing, but I rather have the classic size.

Last edited by PacificDrum0301; 02-18-2019 at 09:10 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #178  
Old 02-18-2019, 09:15 AM
Tamaefx's Avatar
Tamaefx Tamaefx is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: France
Posts: 913
Default Re: Current drum trends you wish would go away

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificDrum0301 View Post
The only thing I find irritating is the state of shell packs.

10, 12, 16, 22 "Rock" configurations are everywhere. I wouldn't mind seeing 8 x 10, 9 x 13, and 16 x 16 or even the classic 8 x 12, 9 x 13, 16 x 16 in modern kits.

I can understand the 10/12/14 fusion sizes being paired with a 20" kicks (not sure why they were paired with a 18 x 22" kick in the late 90s to early 2000s but yeah).

The one thing I am enjoying is the shift towards traditional sizes. A lot of bass drums have been shrinking down to 16 x 22 or even the classic 14 x 22. Rack toms are back to 8 x 12 or 9 x 13 on certain 3 piece kits. Floor toms are also for the most part back to square sizes being 14 x 14 or 16 x 16, but Yamaha still has their 14 x 13 and 16 x 15 thing going on. I think the extra resonance of the deeper size on floors makes perfect sense as a lot of the vibration is being canceled out through the legs. Its a subtle nitpick thing, but I rather have the classic size.
I'm totally with you on this one, and I mentioned it in another thread. It's hard to find today a traditional shell pack. I would certainly be a client for a 22x16 12 13 16x16 Gretsch Renown or of equal quality kit but it doesn't exist anymore. I don't like the small and ubiquitous 10x7 rack tom.
Reply With Quote
  #179  
Old 02-18-2019, 09:15 AM
belairien's Avatar
belairien belairien is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Wimer Oregon
Posts: 840
Default Re: Current drum trends you wish would go away

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificDrum0301 View Post
The only thing I find irritating is the state of shell packs.

10, 12, 16, 22 "Rock" configurations are everywhere. I wouldn't mind seeing 8 x 10, 9 x 13, and 16 x 16 or even the classic 8 x 12, 9 x 13, 16 x 16 in modern kits.
Yeah. I dislike the 12/16 gap myself. That's why I have both a fusion kit with a 20 and a 13/16/22 kit.
__________________
"We're not here for your breakdowns! We're here for your beer!" ~Graveburner
Reply With Quote
  #180  
Old 02-18-2019, 09:19 AM
belairien's Avatar
belairien belairien is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Wimer Oregon
Posts: 840
Default Re: Current drum trends you wish would go away

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamaefx View Post
I'm totally with you on this one, and I mentioned it in another thread. It's hard to find today a traditional shell pack. I would certainly be a client for a 22x16 12 13 16x16 Gretsch Renown or of equal quality kit but it doesn't exist anymore. I don't like the small and ubiquitous 10x7 rack tom.
The 10 on my stage customs is sweet. My 8 is a little dinky though. Thinking of grabbing a 16 for a double floor tom setup.
__________________
"We're not here for your breakdowns! We're here for your beer!" ~Graveburner
Reply With Quote
  #181  
Old 02-18-2019, 11:14 PM
PacificDrum0301 PacificDrum0301 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 38
Default Re: Current drum trends you wish would go away

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamaefx View Post
I'm totally with you on this one, and I mentioned it in another thread. It's hard to find today a traditional shell pack. I would certainly be a client for a 22x16 12 13 16x16 Gretsch Renown or of equal quality kit but it doesn't exist anymore. I don't like the small and ubiquitous 10x7 rack tom.
Tama's 2019 Starclassic line up offers 8 x 12, 16 x 16, 14 x 22 shell packs in both Maple and Birch/Walnut. Just need a 9 x 13 add on drum assuming you don't mind rack toms mounted off cymbal stands.

The only other alternative option is dealer oriented deals with a DW performance kit since these drums are sold individually and can be paired via dealer incentives.

Alternatively, there isn't many other options from established drum markers. Most companies nowadays just bandwagon off whats hip and as much as I like Yamaha drums, the marketing, innovation, and price points kinda took a dive.

Like.. Absolute hybrid maple to me are amazing and well designed, but the price point in the US makes me straight up avoid them.. mind them only offering 10/12/14 or 16 tom configurations as a pack unless you're willing to pay for individual drums. Finish options are also lacking for such great drums.

On the flip side, the stage custom shell pack is AMAZING for beginners, intermediate and working drummers, but its a double edged sword as it forces people into the 10/12/14 or 16 eco system with deeper kicks.

I can go on forever, but that's pretty much the gist of my rant.
Reply With Quote
  #182  
Old 02-18-2019, 11:32 PM
BertTheDrummer's Avatar
BertTheDrummer BertTheDrummer is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: DFW, TX
Posts: 1,342
Default Re: Current drum trends you wish would go away

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificDrum0301 View Post
The only other alternative option is dealer oriented deals with a DW performance kit since these drums are sold individually and can be paired via dealer incentives.
Actually a lot of DW dealers (like sweetwater) have a number of prepacks that are 22x14 kick with 13x9 and 16x16 toms in the performance series. You could always just pick up a 12 or 10 to go with that if you want a 2 up.
__________________
Be a musician who plays the drums; dont be a drummer who is trying to play music. - Tommy Igoe
Reply With Quote
  #183  
Old 02-18-2019, 11:43 PM
PacificDrum0301 PacificDrum0301 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 38
Default Re: Current drum trends you wish would go away

Quote:
Originally Posted by BertTheDrummer View Post
Actually a lot of DW dealers (like sweetwater) have a number of prepacks that are 22x14 kick with 13x9 and 16x16 toms in the performance series. You could always just pick up a 12 or 10 to go with that if you want a 2 up.
Yeah that's what I meant about dealer incentives. Its a great option.
Reply With Quote
  #184  
Old 02-19-2019, 08:26 AM
PacificDrum0301 PacificDrum0301 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 38
Default Re: Current drum trends you wish would go away

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cozy 4ever View Post
Bwahahahaha, that's not even CLOSE to being a rock kit...that's three Fisher Price tambourines and a foot snare!
Well I blame drum head makers :)

Speaking of which, that's another issue. Unless you're willing to buy all individual heads, Evans and Remo both can offer significant discounts for their tom packs or bulk orders through online retailers.

Unless you have a popular or modern configuration, you're SOL in terms of pricing unless a dealer can hook you up.
Reply With Quote
  #185  
Old 02-20-2019, 04:37 AM
Stevesmithfan's Avatar
Stevesmithfan Stevesmithfan is offline
Pioneer Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 328
Default Re: Current drum trends you wish would go away

Big cymbals and crashes that sound like dry chinas. Yuck.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 01:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com