DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 11-05-2016, 07:23 PM

Default How tight to tune my mesh heads?

I use a pearl Muffler head as a mesh head. I plan to put E triggers under it as DIY and havent done so ,so there is nothing below it currently.

I broke a snare head recently and I don't know why, i left my snare tuned rather decently loose but still bouncy.

So i wanna know how tight to tune my mesh head such that it doesnt break easily.

Another side qn: does leaving it too loosely tuned make it easier to break? Thanks :)
Old 11-05-2016, 08:07 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: How tight to tune my mesh heads?

The Pearl mesh heads are the cheapest of all the mesh heads on the market. They really should only be used as resonant side heads to hold the hoops on. I recommend either the Remo Silent strokes for tom batters, or if you want bombproof heads, the Roland heads are the best money can buy. For snare heads i wouldnt use anything less than a Roland head. I havent tried the Pintech mesh heads, but with the Rolands proving to last decades of abuse, there is no reason to suggest anything else.
Old 11-05-2016, 10:21 PM
Tommy_D
This message has been deleted by Tommy_D.
Old 11-06-2016, 03:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy_D View Post
The Pearl mesh heads are the cheapest of all the mesh heads on the market. They really should only be used as resonant side heads to hold the hoops on. I recommend either the Remo Silent strokes for tom batters, or if you want bombproof heads, the Roland heads are the best money can buy. For snare heads i wouldnt use anything less than a Roland head. I havent tried the Pintech mesh heads, but with the Rolands proving to last decades of abuse, there is no reason to suggest anything else.
Would 682 drum heads work as good as Roland's
Old 11-06-2016, 04:16 AM
Silver Member

I use Pintech single-ply heads, and with edge-mounted triggers I'm able to keep the tension very low, and they are a joy to play on.

I have played these heads almost every day for about 3 years, so they are very durable.
Old 11-06-2016, 05:02 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by porky View Post
Would 682 drum heads work as good as Roland's
I have a two ply 682 bass drum head and its okay. It seems durable enough, but it has a bit of a harsher buzz sound than a Roland head. I havent used them for toms or snares though.

You should check out digital drummer magazine (its online) for their "head 2 head" series. They have tested out lots of different mesh heads and can give you detailed info on each of them. Also check out vdrums.com. There are probably hundreds of threads talking about heads and DIY conversions.
Old 11-08-2016, 11:41 PM

I use Pearl mesh heads with DDrum triggers. I was having triggering problems until I tightened the heads. So I would run them fairly tight to get the best triggering. You want to experiment a little bit.