DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Drums

Drums All about Drums and Drum Kits

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #161  
Old 03-31-2017, 05:46 PM
fac fac is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 207
Default Re: I will NEVER buy / own _______, and here's why.

I don't think I'll ever buy any high-end drums. I just don't hear the big difference against well-tuned low or mid-end stuff.
Reply With Quote
  #162  
Old 03-31-2017, 07:23 PM
VitalTransformation's Avatar
VitalTransformation VitalTransformation is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Scandinavia (or was it Nova Scotia? I forget...)
Posts: 827
Default Re: I will NEVER buy / own _______, and here's why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleStroke View Post
A Custom Zildjians - sounds borderline ZBT bronze cymbals to me.
Haha, that's really not fair. A Customs aren't my favorite but I'm definitely not hearing anything ZBT in them. A Customs have a low fundamental but a very bright overtone makeup. ZBT's have a much higher fundamental and very "simple" overtones.
Reply With Quote
  #163  
Old 04-03-2017, 12:43 PM
Zaxx Zaxx is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 56
Default Re: I will NEVER buy / own _______, and here's why.

There's fun to be had here. I mean, who would ever want to own

- an instrument 'designed' for the convenience of theatre managers rather than for musicians;
- an instrument that fires most of its sound onto the floor or into your knees;
- an instrument full of different sized percussion components that you're supposed to play with one size of stick;
- an instrument that's based on stock sizes of lampshade;
- an instrument that requires you to cross one hand over the other in order to play it...

...in fact, who in their right mind would ever buy/own a drum kit?

Oh... er, hang on... : )
Reply With Quote
  #164  
Old 04-03-2017, 05:21 PM
taiko's Avatar
taiko taiko is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 362
Default Re: I will NEVER buy / own _______, and here's why.

Gretsch Catalina Club Jazz. Over the years, I've tried this kit three different times and been disappointed each time--which probably is a testament to my intelligence or lack thereof.

I love the look of these kits and the fact that they are great sizes for small combo jazz. I've always known that the snare drums on these kits absolutely stink, but I've kept thinking that with the right heads the rest of the kit should sound good.

As I said, I've been disappointed. The first one of these I got was in their copper sparkle. There were bubbles in the wrap. The second one I got was WMP. The kit looked great, but I couldn't get a head/tuning combination that I liked. It never sounded bad, but never sounded great. Bought another one when I saw a great deal in the gold foil wrap. There were issues with the bearing edges (a couple of gouges).

In each case there has been something about the kit that just didn't work out sound wise or in terms of quality. I saw a WMP kit for sale at a great price the other day and managed to pass on it. I'm glad I did.

Given some of the quality issues I've encountered with these and the poor snare drums, I really don't think these are a good deal, even at a low price. Sound is subjective, so I won't complain about that, but I couldn't get these right for me.
__________________
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there." -- Miles Davis
Reply With Quote
  #165  
Old 04-05-2017, 03:23 AM
Bonzodownunder Bonzodownunder is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: North Warrandyte, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.
Posts: 228
Default Re: I will NEVER buy / own _______, and here's why.

Pearl drums (EXCEPT for FFS), fed up&have had enough of seeing them EVERYWHERE! :(, just about every drummer i know or have heard of when offered an endoresement straight away Pearl, DW, Zildjian uh!!!!!!,
Sonor-FAR&WAY too thick shells! (Signature series etc),
ANY thick ply shell! :(.
Reply With Quote
  #166  
Old 04-05-2017, 03:59 AM
BenjaminCamelot's Avatar
BenjaminCamelot BenjaminCamelot is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: San Francisco, California
Posts: 492
Default Re: I will NEVER buy / own _______, and here's why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleStroke View Post
A Custom Zildjians - sounds borderline ZBT bronze cymbals to me. Horrible definition and clangy open hi hat sound. Gimme those K's though please
I almost bought a pair of A Customs for my birthday but my dad talked me out of getting them and instead getting regular A's because they sound too bright. I should add that they can be somewhat of a nightmare to clean because of the brilliant finish that's put on the cymbal and if you screw up on cleaning them, you could lose the logo by accident or who knows what else.
__________________
Pearl | Zildjian | Remo | Pro-Mark
Reply With Quote
  #167  
Old 04-05-2017, 04:39 AM
Midnite Zephyr's Avatar
Midnite Zephyr Midnite Zephyr is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Surf City, USA
Posts: 6,155
Default Re: I will NEVER buy / own _______, and here's why.

I'm using a 16 inch and 18 inch A custom crash, and I'm not too fond of them. Not really. I like the 16 inch better than the 18 inch by far. The 18 inch just doesn't appeal to me at all.
__________________
Drumming for fun.
Reply With Quote
  #168  
Old 04-05-2017, 02:44 PM
CompactDrums's Avatar
CompactDrums CompactDrums is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Toronto burbs, Canada
Posts: 714
Default Re: I will NEVER buy / own _______, and here's why.

a Throne thumper or whatever they are called....
__________________
http://compactdrums.com/

http://walopus.com/
Gloriously Gleaming Drum Wrap
Reply With Quote
  #169  
Old 04-05-2017, 06:47 PM
VitalTransformation's Avatar
VitalTransformation VitalTransformation is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Scandinavia (or was it Nova Scotia? I forget...)
Posts: 827
Default Re: I will NEVER buy / own _______, and here's why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CompactDrums View Post
a Throne thumper or whatever they are called....
+1000

Just when people have started coming around to the fact that drummers are actually serious, thinking musicians, a thing like that comes along and ruins it...
Reply With Quote
  #170  
Old 04-05-2017, 08:07 PM
GetAgrippa's Avatar
GetAgrippa GetAgrippa is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: U.S.
Posts: 3,206
Default Re: I will NEVER buy / own _______, and here's why.

I can't think of any drum thingy that I will "NEVER" buy/own but it's highly likely, due to circumstance, there is a whole bunch of drums, kits, thingy's I'll never buy or own. Hell of a note. I doubt I'll miss it though.
__________________
"I roll to the tune of a different drummer ;) "
Reply With Quote
  #171  
Old 04-05-2017, 08:13 PM
Red Menace's Avatar
Red Menace Red Menace is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Arizona, USA
Posts: 2,810
Default Re: I will NEVER buy / own _______, and here's why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CompactDrums View Post
a Throne thumper or whatever they are called....
What's wrong? Don't you appreciate a vibrating seat?

Honestly, the whole thing just seems a little dirty.

I will also never buy a kick port or any drum with a port already installed in the shell. There is a local builder that makes them and they sound like poop. Sad, dry poop.
__________________
Classy grip all day.

Mah Rogers
Snares
Reply With Quote
  #172  
Old 04-05-2017, 08:36 PM
Midnite Zephyr's Avatar
Midnite Zephyr Midnite Zephyr is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Surf City, USA
Posts: 6,155
Default Re: I will NEVER buy / own _______, and here's why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Menace View Post
What's wrong? Don't you appreciate a vibrating seat?

Honestly, the whole thing just seems a little dirty.

I will also never buy a kick port or any drum with a port already installed in the shell. There is a local builder that makes them and they sound like poop. Sad, dry poop.
I'm a cheapskate. I just use the spin cycle on the washing machine for a little excitement in my life.
__________________
Drumming for fun.
Reply With Quote
  #173  
Old 04-06-2017, 12:13 AM
paradiddle pete's Avatar
paradiddle pete paradiddle pete is online now
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: down south
Posts: 1,643
Default Re: I will NEVER buy / own _______, and here's why.

Plus you can use it as a metronome!
__________________
petey poo!
Reply With Quote
  #174  
Old 04-06-2017, 12:55 AM
drum4fun27302 drum4fun27302 is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,388
Default Re: I will NEVER buy / own _______, and here's why.

Boutique/custom/expensive drums. Whatever I play always ends up sounding like me so there's really no reason to buy expensive stuff.

Last edited by drum4fun27302; 04-06-2017 at 01:37 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #175  
Old 04-06-2017, 03:00 AM
goodcat1337's Avatar
goodcat1337 goodcat1337 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: SC
Posts: 321
Default Re: I will NEVER buy / own _______, and here's why.

I posted here before that I would never own any DW drums. But man, I reeealy want one of those Frequent Flyer kits.
__________________
Rogers Big R 22, 12, 13, 16
DW Frequent Flyer 20, 12, 14, 14
14x5 Dynasonic
Agop/Dream
Reply With Quote
  #176  
Old 04-07-2017, 12:43 AM
steadypocket steadypocket is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Columbia, MD
Posts: 1,005
Default Re: I will NEVER buy / own _______, and here's why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
I'm wondering if any of you have ever tried tactile monitoring in a gig setting? If you have, & set it up correctly, + given yourself a while to acclimatise, then I can take the rejection of the concept. If not, I encourage you to think a little outside the box.

They don't provide astounding benefit in every situation, but on a loud stage, & especially where audible monitoring will interfere with the drum mic's, they have strong value. We drummers are used to not hearing our bass drums as clearly as we'd like. On a loud stage, that often robs us of the luxury of judging dynamics. Tactile monitoring brings that back to the party.

A misconception is that it's just a vibrating seat, but the brain soon completely ignores the vibrations, & instead "hears" the bass drum tone. Don't forget, a significant portion of our low frequency "hearing" is actually through the body & not just our ears directly. Ever wonder why your bass drum sounds different when captured with a room mic compared to you actually standing in the room?
There is a difference between the lower level seat shakers/butt thumpers and the more advanced tactile monitoring systems that I believe Andy is referring to. My Porter and Davies system has just made a world of difference in my playing and gigging experiences.
Reply With Quote
  #177  
Old 04-07-2017, 01:40 AM
GruntersDad's Avatar
GruntersDad GruntersDad is offline
Administrator - Mayor
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Gulf Coast Seminole, Florida
Posts: 22,374
Default Re: I will NEVER buy / own _______, and here's why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnite Zephyr View Post
This thread only serves to prove the shallowness of first world people.
I think it does more to show the variety of gear that is available. Most pianos are black. Some white, Some natural. Not a lot of choice. If one color was available, like old Ford Model A's or T's, all black, that's what we would be playing. The offerings are limitless which allows this thread to make sense. For me I would never buy anything I couldn't afford. I guess that's a no brainer, but i'm guessing a lot of credits cards were used on this site.
__________________
Johnny. Pictured left to right, Bermuda, Weird Al, Grunt.
Reply With Quote
  #178  
Old 04-07-2017, 03:20 AM
R2112's Avatar
R2112 R2112 is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Texas
Posts: 512
Default Re: I will NEVER buy / own _______, and here's why.

I've learned to never say never.


However, I probably won't ever buy myself a Hello Kitty drum set.
__________________
Guru, Dunnett, DW, Ludwig, Tama, Istanbul Agop, Vic Firth...
Reply With Quote
  #179  
Old 04-07-2017, 04:11 AM
Midnite Zephyr's Avatar
Midnite Zephyr Midnite Zephyr is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Surf City, USA
Posts: 6,155
Default Re: I will NEVER buy / own _______, and here's why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
I think it does more to show the variety of gear that is available. Most pianos are black. Some white, Some natural. Not a lot of choice. If one color was available, like old Ford Model A's or T's, all black, that's what we would be playing. The offerings are limitless which allows this thread to make sense. For me I would never buy anything I couldn't afford. I guess that's a no brainer, but i'm guessing a lot of credits cards were used on this site.
Yeah, I get your point. I'm just saying there is a pettiness to it too, of which I fall victim to also.
__________________
Drumming for fun.
Reply With Quote
  #180  
Old 04-07-2017, 04:28 AM
BenjaminCamelot's Avatar
BenjaminCamelot BenjaminCamelot is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: San Francisco, California
Posts: 492
Default Re: I will NEVER buy / own _______, and here's why.

If I had to choose, probably I'd say any snare drum depth past 6.5. I find anything like 8x14 or 7x14 to be too deep of a snare depth for me and I always get the impression that it's a tom with snare wires most of the time.
__________________
Pearl | Zildjian | Remo | Pro-Mark
Reply With Quote
  #181  
Old 04-15-2017, 12:06 AM
Groov-E Groov-E is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Canada
Posts: 892
Default Re: I will NEVER buy / own _______, and here's why.

Me, 4 years ago: i'll never buy a yamaha drum;

Me, 3 years ago : i'll never buy a red drum again;

Me, 2 years ago : i'll never buy a 22x18.

Me, now : 2 yammies with 22x18 bd including a red automn one (MHA)

Had I kept my pearl masters birch and only buy the mha this year, I would have saved more than 3000$ and wasted less time.

Be careful what you write here.

I'll never buy drums again. :-)
Reply With Quote
  #182  
Old 04-15-2017, 01:01 AM
larryace's Avatar
larryace larryace is offline
"Uncle Larry"
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: In beautiful Bucks County, PA
Posts: 21,258
Default Re: I will NEVER buy / own _______, and here's why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnite Zephyr View Post
Yeah, I get your point. I'm just saying there is a pettiness to it too, of which I fall victim to also.
Yea, pettiness. It's one of the hallmarks of being a first world country. Hey as long as everyone does something...for the greater good of others...on a somewhat regular basis...I believe that balances out the pettiness. I'd say that being generous is the opposite pole of being petty. And the pettiness we're talking about isn't thrust upon anyone else.

That's a different, worse kind of petty.

Tom Petty could be one of the best types of petty. Hey, cut me a break, c'mon, I had to take it :)

Gear pettiness is just a choice thing. It's not really petty. I think the true form of petty has to involve another person. A tit for tat type person.

Man can I talk myself into something or what?
__________________
Levis/Hanes/Timberlands/Custom made socks
Reply With Quote
  #183  
Old 04-15-2017, 04:09 AM
Stroker's Avatar
Stroker Stroker is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Canada, We Stand on Guard for Thee
Posts: 1,719
Default Re: I will NEVER buy / own _______, and here's why.

Anything cheap, because I work hard for my money, so when I spend, I spend hard.
__________________
Rash of letters after an Architects name? Alphabet Soup, don't drown in it...
Reply With Quote
  #184  
Old 04-15-2017, 11:05 AM
RaxCity RaxCity is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: NZ
Posts: 120
Default Re: I will NEVER buy / own _______, and here's why.

I will never buy a Paiste RUDE cymbal, and the reason is because I just hate the sound. They just sound so harsh and ugly, I don't really understand why people might like to use them. I also hate how they look, and if I wanted a bright cutting cymbal, I'd much rather look at paiste's 2002 or signature series.
Reply With Quote
  #185  
Old 04-15-2017, 12:51 PM
Midnite Zephyr's Avatar
Midnite Zephyr Midnite Zephyr is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Surf City, USA
Posts: 6,155
Default Re: I will NEVER buy / own _______, and here's why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
Yea, pettiness. It's one of the hallmarks of being a first world country. Hey as long as everyone does something...for the greater good of others...on a somewhat regular basis...I believe that balances out the pettiness. I'd say that being generous is the opposite pole of being petty. And the pettiness we're talking about isn't thrust upon anyone else.

That's a different, worse kind of petty.

Tom Petty could be one of the best types of petty. Hey, cut me a break, c'mon, I had to take it :)

Gear pettiness is just a choice thing. It's not really petty. I think the true form of petty has to involve another person. A tit for tat type person.

Man can I talk myself into something or what?
That's a nice layer of sugar coating. Haha

I don't think I will ever buy a 2 floor tom drum set. Why? It takes up too much floor space & I'm too fat to reach it comfortably.
__________________
Drumming for fun.
Reply With Quote
  #186  
Old 04-15-2017, 05:33 PM
spleeeeen's Avatar
spleeeeen spleeeeen is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Michigan, USA
Posts: 1,599
Default Re: I will NEVER buy / own _______, and here's why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
I'm wondering if any of you have ever tried tactile monitoring in a gig setting? If you have, & set it up correctly, + given yourself a while to acclimatise, then I can take the rejection of the concept. If not, I encourage you to think a little outside the box.

They don't provide astounding benefit in every situation, but on a loud stage, & especially where audible monitoring will interfere with the drum mic's, they have strong value. We drummers are used to not hearing our bass drums as clearly as we'd like. On a loud stage, that often robs us of the luxury of judging dynamics. Tactile monitoring brings that back to the party.

A misconception is that it's just a vibrating seat, but the brain soon completely ignores the vibrations, & instead "hears" the bass drum tone. Don't forget, a significant portion of our low frequency "hearing" is actually through the body & not just our ears directly. Ever wonder why your bass drum sounds different when captured with a room mic compared to you actually standing in the room?
Quote:
Originally Posted by steadypocket View Post
There is a difference between the lower level seat shakers/butt thumpers and the more advanced tactile monitoring systems that I believe Andy is referring to. My Porter and Davies system has just made a world of difference in my playing and gigging experiences.
Same here. With my P & D I "hear" the full tone and duration of bass drum notes on the same level as snare and toms. There's an enhanced connection with the bass that I find really useful. Necessary? No (I don't use it on every gig). Additive in a helpful way in certain settings? Yes.


Ugh, there I am doing that thing where I ask and answer my own questions.
__________________
[14 Crew]
Reply With Quote
  #187  
Old 04-15-2017, 11:12 PM
petrez's Avatar
petrez petrez is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Norway
Posts: 158
Default Re: I will NEVER buy / own _______, and here's why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaxCity View Post
I will never buy a Paiste RUDE cymbal, and the reason is because I just hate the sound. They just sound so harsh and ugly, I don't really understand why people might like to use them.
Well, I have some Rude crashes (and a china), and I really prefer them to my 2oo2's for most of what I play nowadays (thrash/death metal), at least live, when cutting through shredding loud guitars are needed. My 2oo2's (Medium and Power crashes) gets sometimes too mellow in those circumstances, and I think the Rude Thin Crashes (they're not really thin when compared with thin crashes of other series, but the thinnest of the Rude crashes) is the best of "both worlds" sort to say. I understand where you come from though, but I think they have a purpose for those specific styles that requires maximum cut and projection. They might sound better further away than right behind the kit though. As for the looks, I think they look "raw" and pretty cool, you stand out from the regular "B20 crowd" when using these...
__________________
Pearl Masters BCX 22x2/10/12/13/14/16
Tama Starphonic Bronze, Mapex BP Cherry Bomb
Paiste cymbals

Last edited by petrez; 04-15-2017 at 11:24 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #188  
Old 04-16-2017, 10:34 PM
DrummerSneed's Avatar
DrummerSneed DrummerSneed is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 107
Default Re: I will NEVER buy / own _______, and here's why.

A splash or China cymbal. I just don't like the sound of either.

Although I do own a cowbell, I don't think I will ever play it again. You want to play Honky Tonk Women or Hair Of The Dog? Sure, I will use rim clicks or strike my sticks together.


A house-The way my life is going these days....
Reply With Quote
  #189  
Old 09-25-2017, 01:03 PM
Mark_S's Avatar
Mark_S Mark_S is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Leicester, England, U.K.
Posts: 755
Default Re: I will NEVER buy / own _______, and here's why.

For some reason, Pearl, DW and maybe Tama don't do it for me. Hardware, fine, but just not the drums. It's a subjective/feeling thing. I don't know if unconsciously its the sound of the name itself, something historical, how they look (especially the lugs), or who I associate them with.. but I never look to buy them. For some reason, I'm drawn to Sonor and Yamaha. I love Yamaha hardware.

I don't like overly deep rack toms, especially square sized; they are hard to position and look a bit ugly to me.

E-Kit... well.. I own one but only out of necessity. It barely gets touched now since I found a room to rent at the local rehearsal studios. I can't bring myself to sell it though; it has been useful for "in-house jams". It's hard to explain why, you just don't get the feedback like you do on acoustic. I love the organicness of hitting acoustic drums and cymbals, it so.... satisfying! Not to mention I think they sound so so much better especially in a live environment.
__________________
Sonor, Premier, Paiste, Sabian, Zildjian, Yamaha, Vic Firth, Shure

Last edited by Mark_S; 09-25-2017 at 02:01 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #190  
Old 09-27-2017, 02:21 PM
bigiainw's Avatar
bigiainw bigiainw is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Scotland
Posts: 1,094
Default Re: I will NEVER buy / own _______, and here's why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnite Zephyr View Post
I'm using a 16 inch and 18 inch A custom crash, and I'm not too fond of them. Not really. I like the 16 inch better than the 18 inch by far. The 18 inch just doesn't appeal to me at all.
I have 17-18-19- love the odd sizes but the 18 just never works or me- sounds fine out front but gives me a headache up close!
__________________
Hit me with your rhythm stick
Reply With Quote
  #191  
Old 09-27-2017, 05:19 PM
axisT6 axisT6 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 306
Default Re: I will NEVER buy / own _______, and here's why.

Drum Triggers - I like the sound of a well tuned kick. For high speed clarity, I have done well with a tighter batter, patch, hard beater, and lots of beater throw.

Direct Drive Pedals - I like the power you get from chain drives.

Snares less than 8" deep - I love the sound of deep snares.

Thin rides - I like my rides heavy.

Crash cymbals exceeding $12.00 per inch diameter - I don't see the value in spending $300 for a single crash cymbal. I have many crashes in the 17" - 21" range that have a rough average cost of $200 each. I have been very happy.
Reply With Quote
  #192  
Old 09-27-2017, 06:58 PM
PorkPieGuy's Avatar
PorkPieGuy PorkPieGuy is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 2,756
Default Re: I will NEVER buy / own _______, and here's why.

I will probably never buy another splash or a china again.

There's nothing wrong with them, but I don't foresee myself ever playing music again that I felt required them.

I'll probably never own a double kick pedal either.
Reply With Quote
  #193  
Old 09-27-2017, 08:14 PM
GruntersDad's Avatar
GruntersDad GruntersDad is offline
Administrator - Mayor
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Gulf Coast Seminole, Florida
Posts: 22,374
Default Re: I will NEVER buy / own _______, and here's why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaxx View Post
There's fun to be had here. I mean, who would ever want to own

- an instrument 'designed' for the convenience of theatre managers rather than for musicians;
- an instrument that fires most of its sound onto the floor or into your knees;
- an instrument full of different sized percussion components that you're supposed to play with one size of stick;
- an instrument that's based on stock sizes of lampshade;
- an instrument that requires you to cross one hand over the other in order to play it...

...in fact, who in their right mind would ever buy/own a drum kit?

Oh... er, hang on... : )
Pianists cross their hands frequently in order to play, so I'm not buying that one.
__________________
Johnny. Pictured left to right, Bermuda, Weird Al, Grunt.
Reply With Quote
  #194  
Old 09-27-2017, 10:10 PM
Bo Eder's Avatar
Bo Eder Bo Eder is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Southern California
Posts: 13,882
Default Re: I will NEVER buy / own _______, and here's why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkPieGuy View Post
I will probably never buy another splash or a china again.

There's nothing wrong with them, but I don't foresee myself ever playing music again that I felt required them.

I'll probably never own a double kick pedal either.
I'm with you on this one. Coming up in the 80s, thanks to Stewart Copeland, I felt compelled to have a splash (or three) in my set-up. And thanks to listening to the Bob Florence Big Band with the late great Nick Ceroli on drums, I was compelled to own some kind of China cymbal, and both have no longer been used for so long now. I think my problem was, both The Police and the Bob Florence Big Band already had drummers, and it was never gonna be me ;)

And as much as I admire the foot dexterity of a lot of our double bass drum technicians out there, that's never gonna be me either. My job is to groove the band and make 'em dance. It's rare when I insist on having three toms too.
Reply With Quote
  #195  
Old 09-27-2017, 10:33 PM
loki03xlh loki03xlh is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 127
Default Re: I will NEVER buy / own _______, and here's why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippy chip View Post
3 things come to mind right away---18 inch "bass" drum, any virgin bass, and "floor" toms without legs. The reasons are that I like big drums, I can't get the mounted toms where I like them, and 16 x 16 or 18 x 18 toms look better with legs (and they're heavy)
If you ever play a kit like the one pictured, it will change your mind about mounted floor toms. I had the exact kit (but in a maple finish) and the 16 and 18 inch mounted toms were quite stable and able to be positioned perfectly. Plus, the resonated much more being mounted to a stand instead of having 3 legs touching the floor.
Attached Images
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 01:32 AM
steadypocket
This message has been deleted by steadypocket.
  #196  
Old 09-29-2017, 01:42 AM
steadypocket steadypocket is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Columbia, MD
Posts: 1,005
Default Re: I will NEVER buy / own _______, and here's why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki03xlh View Post
If you ever play a kit like the one pictured, it will change your mind about mounted floor toms. I had the exact kit (but in a maple finish) and the 16 and 18 inch mounted toms were quite stable and able to be positioned perfectly. Plus, the resonated much more being mounted to a stand instead of having 3 legs touching the floor.
Nope, my mind wouldn't change. In fact, there would be several things I'd dislike about that kit.
Reply With Quote
  #197  
Old 09-29-2017, 01:53 AM
GruntersDad's Avatar
GruntersDad GruntersDad is offline
Administrator - Mayor
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Gulf Coast Seminole, Florida
Posts: 22,374
Default Re: I will NEVER buy / own _______, and here's why.

I don't like the huge spread on the legs of the stand holding the two floor toms. So much extra room needed. You can buy cradles with straight legs to provide resonance.
__________________
Johnny. Pictured left to right, Bermuda, Weird Al, Grunt.
Reply With Quote
  #198  
Old 09-29-2017, 04:39 AM
Jbravo's Avatar
Jbravo Jbravo is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Westport, SD
Posts: 303
Default Re: I will NEVER buy / own _______, and here's why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki03xlh View Post
If you ever play a kit like the one pictured, it will change your mind about mounted floor toms. I had the exact kit (but in a maple finish) and the 16 and 18 inch mounted toms were quite stable and able to be positioned perfectly. Plus, the resonated much more being mounted to a stand instead of having 3 legs touching the floor.

I'm just really traditional. So my floor toms must be mounted on legs. As a bass player I also use very traditional bass gear. Must be a moderately-old-guy thing...
Reply With Quote
  #199  
Old 09-29-2017, 05:45 AM
jornthedrummer jornthedrummer is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 910
Default Re: I will NEVER buy / own _______, and here's why.

I also prefer my floor toms on legs, both in terms of convenience/positioning and sound. My floor toms must be down in the basement in terms of sound.
Reply With Quote
  #200  
Old 10-03-2017, 06:37 AM
MBJ's Avatar
MBJ MBJ is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 9
Default Re: I will NEVER buy / own _______, and here's why.

1. a cocktail kit
2. stamped cymbals
3. an uncomfortable throne
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 04:03 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com