DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 08-15-2015, 01:56 PM
Silver Member

Default Keith Moon Obituary

Keith Moon Obituary

SKF NOTE: Found among my clippings in a box in my basement. Sad day. Keith Moon was a very early influence on me from about age 16. I was fortunate to see Moon with the The Who in concert twice.

Scott K Fish Blog: Life Beyond the Cymbals
Old 08-15-2015, 07:55 PM

Default Re: Keith Moon Obituary

Very tragic. Bonham died not soon before or after I think. As an author once quipped when Moon died; "British drumming died too".
Old 08-15-2015, 10:24 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott K Fish View Post
Keith Moon Obituary

SKF NOTE: Found among my clippings in a box in my basement. Sad day. Keith Moon was a very early influence on me from about age 16. I was fortunate to see Moon with the The Who in concert twice.

Scott K Fish Blog: Life Beyond the Cymbals
And just to think, back then at 31 years old he was considered an elder statesman of rock.
Old 08-15-2015, 11:32 PM

Wow. First time I've ever read that. Scott Michaels at the "FindADeath" website has an article on Keith's death:

Keith Moon Death

The funniest remark I've heard anyone make about Keith came from Joe Walsh in their documentary, "History Of The Eagles": He said, "The scariest thing that's ever happened to me in my life was the time when Keith Moon decided he liked me (as a friend)." Moon wound up teaching Walsh the finer points of trashing a hotel room and also told this story of them going into this very upscale restaurant (in Chicago, I believe) and they couldn't get in because they were not dressed properly. So, Keith says, "Wait a minute! I know JUST what to do!" and he drags Walsh back outside the restaurant and proceeds to paint both of their pairs of jeans BLACK so they could get in.

Well, they get in but...what they don't realize is that the paint is still wet and they're both sitting on these fine looking chairs and when they get up to leave, the black paint comes off of their pants and exposes their jeans and they slowly back out of the restaurant!!

I laughed liike crazy when I heard that story!!
Phil. 4:13; Jer. 29:11
Old 08-17-2015, 03:08 AM
Administrator - Mayor

Stay out of Harry Nilssons apartment.
Old 08-17-2015, 03:44 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Trout View Post
Wow. First time I've ever read that. Scott Michaels at the "FindADeath" website has an article on Keith's death:

Keith Moon Death
Some of the content in the site is pretty tasteless site IMO, but I did like seeing how great Keith looks in the last pic of him ever taken.

yes Harry Nilsson apartment....what are the odds?
Old 08-17-2015, 05:41 AM
Platinum Member

As I've said, Keith is the reason I dedicated my life to drums.

Even though he had long since passed away when he influenced me.
Old 08-17-2015, 04:07 PM

i think keith is actually an underrated player in the drumming community. a lot of people seem to think he was a bit of a gimmick because he was so crazy but i think he was a great player and certainly a massive influence on people
Old 08-17-2015, 05:17 PM
Silver Member

At some point in the future, some wizard will probably study the effect of drummers on those of us who heard drummers before seeing drummers vs those of us who were first exposed to drummers on video.

As a member of the former group, Keith was a monster. Thrilling and fun to hear, to listen to. Getting to see him play after hearing him -- just augmented the thrill and fun of hearing him.

When you hear Keith Moon play you know it's Keith Moon. Like him or not, Keith's was a unique voice. That can't be said of the greater majority of drummers.

Best,
skf
Old 08-18-2015, 07:31 PM
Silver Member

Every hard rock song can be played two ways

-regular time keeping with occasional chops
- The Keith Moon Way, playing by the seat of his/her pants....

when someone say "the drummer played what the song called for"...i bet Keith turns 30 degrees in his grave..
Old 08-18-2015, 08:53 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pachikara-Tharakan View Post

when someone say "the drummer played what the song called for"...i bet Keith turns 30 degrees in his grave..
Maybe, maybe not.

The story goes John asked Keith to play it straight on the song "905" on the Who Are You album, and Keith did just that.

And Keith's solo album, Keith hired Keltner to play for the songs over doing it himself.
Old 08-18-2015, 09:48 PM
Silver Member

I've heard some crazy stories about Moon.

The band once gathered quite a few extension cords so that they could toss a TV off a balcony into a pool while still operational, just to see what would happen.
Old 08-18-2015, 09:58 PM
Silver Member

I'm remembering a conversation about Keith Moon with Neil Peart. But my memory is cloudy. I don't remember if ours was an interview, an exchange of letters, or just an informal drummer chat.

I'm sure our conversation took place during the rise of electric drums, sampling, music loops, drum machines, et. al. I asked Neil if he thought Keith Moon -- or a Keith Moon --could have emerged at that time in music history, rather than in the early 1960's.

Neil thought, yes, Keith would have emerged. And Neil cited Moon's work on Who Are You as an example of Keith adapting his drumming to work with Pete Townsend's incorporating synthesizers into The Who's songs. In other words, Keith had to maintain timekeeping strict enough to sync with the synthesizers.

That might be, in part, why Drummerworld posters hear Moon playing somewhat more constrained on Who Are You.

Best,
skf
Old 08-18-2015, 10:48 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott K Fish View Post
I'm remembering a conversation about Keith Moon with Neil Peart. But my memory is cloudy. I don't remember if ours was an interview, an exchange of letters, or just an informal drummer chat.

I'm sure our conversation took place during the rise of electric drums, sampling, music loops, drum machines, et. al. I asked Neil if he thought Keith Moon -- or a Keith Moon --could have emerged at that time in music history, rather than in the early 1960's.

Neil thought, yes, Keith would have emerged. And Neil cited Moon's work on Who Are You as an example of Keith adapting his drumming to work with Pete Townsend's incorporating synthesizers into The Who's songs. In other words, Keith had to maintain timekeeping strict enough to sync with the synthesizers.

That might be, in part, why Drummerworld posters hear Moon playing somewhat more constrained on Who Are You.

Best,
skf
Keith had been working with synths live to a click since 1971, when recording Who's Next.

Pete Townshed wrote in his book he was actually surprised at the time how well Keith adapted to playing with headphones to a pre-recorded synth part on stage.

I've always found it funny the guy known for not keeping time was playing to synths and a click track on stage nearly 30 years before it became a common thing to do.

Moon's playing on Who Are You is somewhat constrained because he never practiced. Prior to the recording, the Who had taken a long break, Keith had moved to Malibu, CA, and didn't touch a drum for years. When they regrouped for the recording, they had to go jam on material to get Keith into shape. And even then, the song "The Music Must Change" was recorded without drums because Keith couldn't play the song.

The song "905" also had a lot of programed synth parts, so John asked Keith to play that one straight to make it work with what has already been programmed out.

And I could be wrong, but I think part of why Neil was willing to experiment with synths and clicks on stage was because he knew Keith had done it, and of course, Keith was a huge influence on Neil.
Old 08-18-2015, 10:56 PM
WhoIsTony?
This message has been deleted by WhoIsTony?.
Old 08-18-2015, 11:45 PM
Silver Member

Glyn Jones kind of "buried" Keith in The Who by numbers"
Old 08-19-2015, 12:48 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumEatDrum View Post
I've always found it funny the guy known for not keeping time was playing to synths and a click track on stage nearly 30 years before it became a common thing to do.
I always find it funnier that guys who shun the use of a click are so quick to throw names like Moon around to support their argument. If they only stopped and thought for a minute.
Old 08-19-2015, 05:17 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold View Post
I always find it funnier that guys who shun the use of a click are so quick to throw names like Moon around to support their argument. If they only stopped and thought for a minute.
Good point.

And if they thought about it first, then they could realize that they Won't get Fooled Again.