DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Drums

Drums All about Drums and Drum Kits

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #161  
Old 06-10-2007, 10:42 PM
zambizzi's Avatar
zambizzi zambizzi is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Big Bad Boise
Posts: 4,042
Default Re: Drum Workshop Worth The Cash?

I own two of them...one over 10 yrs. old and one made last year (2006)...they're fantastic...they sound great...and I've yet to be as taken w/ any other kit I've played.

They may have the same types of practices when making their drums but they have some kind of special touch...not sure how to explain it. They have a tone that I can't find in other kits...plywood, solid, whatever. They sing...they're *melodic*.

And...they don't depreciate in value if they're well taken care of. I'll get just as much as I paid for my kits, if I should ever decide to sell them.

No one matches their quality, yet.
Reply With Quote
  #162  
Old 06-10-2007, 11:06 PM
Gibbersticks's Avatar
Gibbersticks Gibbersticks is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Posts: 81
Default Re: Drum Workshop Worth The Cash?

How would a set of Sonor SQ2 drums stack up against a set of DW's? Two of the most expensive drums out there. Which is better?
Reply With Quote
  #163  
Old 06-10-2007, 11:27 PM
illustrator X's Avatar
illustrator X illustrator X is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Posts: 236
Default Re: Drum Workshop Worth The Cash?

Thin hoops??? I've never seen a thicker trip flange hoop...I've looked
Pearls superhoop 2's are much, much, thicker. DW's hoops actually change in thickness and mass depending on the tom they are on. Example, the 16" hoop is thicker than the 10" hoop.

VLT is only available on 14 and larger toms

DW offers all VTL kits in brich and maple. All toms including snare, consist of all ply's vertical and without reinforcement hoops.
"Built in bottom" is standard on all floor toms and bass drum with all other kits. Built in bottom means the only vertical ply is the innermost ply, and there is still a reinforcement hoop.
Reply With Quote
  #164  
Old 06-11-2007, 12:10 AM
Fat Elvis's Avatar
Fat Elvis Fat Elvis is offline
Pioneer Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 1,452
Default Re: Drum Workshop Worth The Cash?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbersticks View Post
How would a set of Sonor SQ2 drums stack up against a set of DW's? Two of the most expensive drums out there. Which is better?
never played or even seen an SQ2. The look every bit as good as the finest DW's made.
__________________


This is me.

This is what I do.
Reply With Quote
  #165  
Old 06-11-2007, 12:37 AM
gmrakich gmrakich is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,272
Default Re: Drum Workshop Worth The Cash?

DW......Don't worry :^ P Be happy
__________________
More Drums Than God.
Reply With Quote
  #166  
Old 06-11-2007, 03:50 AM
larlev
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Drum Workshop Worth The Cash?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbersticks View Post
How would a set of Sonor SQ2 drums stack up against a set of DW's? Two of the most expensive drums out there. Which is better?
HaHa.....DW's are great........but an SQ2 is night and day different than a DW

SQ2's are the true high-end standard...IMO
Reply With Quote
  #167  
Old 06-11-2007, 04:36 AM
Jusstickinaround
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Drum Workshop Worth The Cash?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Elvis View Post
that was me -- and no it was not an insult. The fact is that I own a DW as well as a Starclassic and a Ludwig Classic Maple. All are great kits -- all have a different sound than one another. All of them are paid for. So which one would i sell last? The DW. Which would I sell first? The Ludwig.
Maybe are hearing is different, but my vintage Ludwig kit is a superior sounding kit to any DW's I've heard. I know you guys love your DW's, but they ARE NOT the best kits ever made, in fact I don't even think they are in the top five. If I had a list it would be Ludwig, Gretcsh, Slingerland, Rogers, Yamaha, Sonor, Tama, Pearl, Premier and DW. It's only my opinion, that's all.
Reply With Quote
  #168  
Old 06-11-2007, 04:50 AM
Porker69's Avatar
Porker69 Porker69 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Bean Town
Posts: 167
Default Re: Drum Workshop Worth The Cash?

Personally, I dont think their prices are justifed. While they make great kits, they dont sound $2000-$3000 better than other kits, especially when that money can buy me cymbals. I would never buy a new one unless I had alot of money layin around, but I think they are worth their used prices.
__________________
My Vintage Ludwigs
Reply With Quote
  #169  
Old 06-11-2007, 04:56 AM
Ozzy Biz's Avatar
Ozzy Biz Ozzy Biz is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Behind you...
Posts: 1,464
Default Re: Drum Workshop Worth The Cash?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jusstickinaround View Post
Maybe are hearing is different, but my vintage Ludwig kit is a superior sounding kit to any DW's I've heard. I know you guys love your DW's, but they ARE NOT the best kits ever made, in fact I don't even think they are in the top five. If I had a list it would be Ludwig, Gretcsh, Slingerland, Rogers, Yamaha, Sonor, Tama, Pearl, Premier and DW.
Where is there a documented list of the best kits ever made? It's obvious that you're a Vintage fan, but your claims are pretty opinionated and very bias.
Also, you have to define what you're talking about when you say 'best'. Do you mean highest structural or finish quality, or perhaps that the kit fit's it's intended purpose better than anything else on the market. Think about it, a Pulse or CB is a crappy kit. But it serves it's intended purpose exactly; a cheap kit that makes an acceptable noise for people new to drums or low on cash. Look at any modern high-end manufacturer; their top-line products are intended to make the purest, clearest tone, project extremely well, be 100% structurally sound and look amazing. Do they do all of this? Yes, but possibly not as effectively than a Pulse meets it's design requirements. This is the reason Toyota are gradually taking over the world market in the automotive industry, simple cars that do what they should more effectively than any other company and with less probems. So maybe none of your list are technically the 'best' companies going around either. They've all had (and have) their problems.

However, how many of us here or anywhere in the world aspire to one day own a Pulse (or have automotive fantasies about a Corolla). They do their job, but the desireability is severly lacking. One must remember however, that desire is a personal thing and varies from person to person, affected by past experiences and influences.

And yes JSA, your hearing is different. Age alone has quite an impact, over the years a persons ability to hear high frequency sounds decreases quite significantly. Plus that unless you stand in the same spot in the same room with the same kit, same heads, same tuning and same person playing the kit you are going to hear things differently, even if they are minute difference.

Lastly, and I like to think I'm relativey unbiased here, I'd say DW have had less structural/construction and management problems than Ludwig even when one considers the large difference in company age. (For the record, my next kit will most likely be a Ludwig)

These are just my opinion, the same as your posts are simply yours. Hope I haven't gone too far off topic here.

Cam
Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 05:30 AM
negativeattitude
This message has been deleted by negativeattitude.
  #170  
Old 06-11-2007, 06:03 AM
Jusstickinaround
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Drum Workshop Worth The Cash?

[quote=Ozzy Biz;320911]Where is there a documented list of the best kits ever made? It's obvious that you're a Vintage fan, but your claims are pretty opinionated and very bias.
Also, you have to define what you're talking about when you say 'best'. Do you mean highest structural or finish quality, or perhaps that the kit fit's it's intended purpose better than anything else on the market. Think about it, a Pulse or CB is a crappy kit. But it serves it's intended purpose exactly; a cheap kit that makes an acceptable noise for people new to drums or low on cash. Look at any modern high-end manufacturer; their top-line products are intended to make the purest, clearest tone, project extremely well, be 100% structurally sound and look amazing. Do they do all of this? Yes, but possibly not as effectively than a Pulse meets it's design requirements. This is the reason Toyota are gradually taking over the world market in the automotive industry, simple cars that do what they should more effectively than any other company and with less probems. So maybe none of your list are technically the 'best' companies going around either. They've all had (and have) their problems.

However, how many of us here or anywhere in the world aspire to one day own a Pulse (or have automotive fantasies about a Corolla). They do their job, but the desireability is severly lacking. One must remember however, that desire is a personal thing and varies from person to person, affected by past experiences and influences.

And yes JSA, your hearing is different. Age alone has quite an impact, over the years a persons ability to hear high frequency sounds decreases quite significantly. Plus that unless you stand in the same spot in the same room with the same kit, same heads, same tuning and same person playing the kit you are going to hear things differently, even if they are minute difference.

Lastly, and I like to think I'm relativey unbiased here, I'd say DW have had less structural/construction and management problems than Ludwig even when one considers the large difference in company age. (For the record, my next kit will most likely be a Ludwig)

These are just my opinion, the same as your posts are simply yours. Hope I haven't gone too far off topic here.

What is with you guys and all the car anlogies? I thought we talking about drums. I put the drum companies from 1-10 in the order I thought they belong, the key word is I, you may have a different order. I'll admit after years of playing I have lost a bit of hearing, but I can still tell the difference in drum sounds. Yes I do love vintage kits, but in my first post I compared the DW's with a new Tama kit, I think I just get a little tired of hearing how great DW's sound. Whenever I play one and compare it to another kit I don't hear a superior sound. I tend to believe that people who buy them are trying to justify the big price tag. DW's are nice kits, but I wouldn't buy one if the kit next to it sounds better for a lot less.
Reply With Quote
  #171  
Old 06-11-2007, 06:34 AM
Ozzy Biz's Avatar
Ozzy Biz Ozzy Biz is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Behind you...
Posts: 1,464
Default Re: Drum Workshop Worth The Cash?

Car analogies are just easy to use and easy to understand.
As for the hearing thing, volume sure does effect (or create) hearing loss over the years, but the degradation of the ears ability to pick up high frequency sounds is a natural thing that happens to everyone just due to everyday noises.
You said "they ARE NOT the best kits ever made" which implies that there is some sort of documentation or something which ranks the kits, or at least scientifically proves this 'fact' you've stated with such authority. From a construction and finish point of view, they are superior to your Ludwigs, and they should be. 30 years of advancements in materials understanding and construction knowledge should (and does) make a difference. Sonically, however, is another issue, one which connot be measured, ranked or graded in any sort of way which is not affected by the preferences and opinions of the individual. It's all in the ear of the beholder, so to say.
I'm a fan of the old-school warm, woody sound of a vintage kit with coated heads, as are you. I'm also quite fond of more modern sound; say clear G2s on a recording custom or for the sake of this discussion, a DW maple. We should have just closed this thread with the comment that drum sounds are personal, and that a drum kit (regardless of make/model) is oonly worth the cash if the owner of it believes so.

Cam
Reply With Quote
  #172  
Old 06-11-2007, 07:25 AM
illustrator X's Avatar
illustrator X illustrator X is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Posts: 236
Default Re: Drum Workshop Worth The Cash?

ozziebiz, nice posts, I couldn't have said it better myself.

Back to responding to the original thread question. Personally I feel DW's sound a little better than all the other top of the line kits I have played. Is that slight difference worth the extra 2k a DW kit will cost. Well, to each is own. Personally, I enjoy playing drums to such a degree that I want the best, pretty much regardless of cost.
Reply With Quote
  #173  
Old 06-12-2007, 12:55 AM
Jusstickinaround
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Drum Workshop Worth The Cash?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzy Biz View Post
Car analogies are just easy to use and easy to understand.
As for the hearing thing, volume sure does effect (or create) hearing loss over the years, but the degradation of the ears ability to pick up high frequency sounds is a natural thing that happens to everyone just due to everyday noises.
You said "they ARE NOT the best kits ever made" which implies that there is some sort of documentation or something which ranks the kits, or at least scientifically proves this 'fact' you've stated with such authority. From a construction and finish point of view, they are superior to your Ludwigs, and they should be. 30 years of advancements in materials understanding and construction knowledge should (and does) make a difference. Sonically, however, is another issue, one which connot be measured, ranked or graded in any sort of way which is not affected by the preferences and opinions of the individual. It's all in the ear of the beholder, so to say.
I'm a fan of the old-school warm, woody sound of a vintage kit with coated heads, as are you. I'm also quite fond of more modern sound; say clear G2s on a recording custom or for the sake of this discussion, a DW maple. We should have just closed this thread with the comment that drum sounds are personal, and that a drum kit (regardless of make/model) is oonly worth the cash if the owner of it believes so.

Cam
Well if you mean the DW screws use a phillips screwdriver, then yes DW's are superior. The construction of the actual drum is no different other than the bearing edges of the Ludwigs were cut rounder or the wrap could be coming apart because it is an old drum. The inside of my shell looks like it was made yesterday, the maple is beautiful and it still retains that maple smell. Let's see how some DW's stand up after 30 + years of playing..
Reply With Quote
  #174  
Old 06-12-2007, 01:53 AM
larlev
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Drum Workshop Worth The Cash?

Quote:
Originally Posted by negativeattitude View Post
Wow. This just keeps going and going and....... I think if want dw's and they offer the sound, finish options, and hardware you desire, (and you're not going to go without food for a month in order to get them), then yes they are worth it. This seems to have turned into a place to voice your opinion that dw's ARE NOT the best drums and to compare them to Ludwig, etc. ???? This thread is titled "Drum Workshop Worth The Cash?" right?

Sincerly,

It really depends on HOW much money you actually make....for me I wouldn't go hungry in the least.....age has a big factor in deciding if they are worth it or not...

What's funny is...the quote I got for a 5 piece DW was no more expensive than many of the other companies.....so I still don't get this "is it worth it crap"
Reply With Quote
  #175  
Old 06-12-2007, 05:36 AM
Ozzy Biz's Avatar
Ozzy Biz Ozzy Biz is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Behind you...
Posts: 1,464
Default Re: Drum Workshop Worth The Cash?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jusstickinaround View Post
Well if you mean the DW screws use a phillips screwdriver, then yes DW's are superior. The construction of the actual drum is no different other than the bearing edges of the Ludwigs were cut rounder or the wrap could be coming apart because it is an old drum. The inside of my shell looks like it was made yesterday, the maple is beautiful and it still retains that maple smell. Let's see how some DW's stand up after 30 + years of playing..
If the only advancement in 30 years was the move from flat-head to phillips screwdrivers I'd be pretty worried about the state of the industry, most people in it and society in general. Thankfully, that is not the case.

I mean that the construction methods are more advanced, producing thinner, stronger shells. It's the same with all modern high-end drums. Why do you think reinforcement rings on the inside of the shell are now an option for a different sound, as opposed to being a necessity to keep the shell in-round? The maple used is most likely more consistant than the maple used back in the 60s and 70s. Their hardware is also more rigid and stable than the old vintage stuff.

I'm not saying that vintage gear is inferior, just because every companies marketing gurus say it's obselete. The reality is that it's not. Going back to a car anology (because I know you love them... haha); an original '65 Corvette Stingray is no less a car than the '07 Corvette. Technically it's a bit inferior, however it has class and a feel about it which the new model simply cannot replicate. They still do the same job, would be a blast to drive and turn heads, but most likely different heads.

I'd love a round-badge Gretsch or an early 70's Ludwig, but the used market down under is as bad as England is in the rugby at the moment ;) so I'll most likely be buying new. Both great, for slightly different reasons. Both accomplish the same end result, but with a bit more flair in certain areas.
Reply With Quote
  #176  
Old 06-12-2007, 08:44 AM
Urahara Kisuke's Avatar
Urahara Kisuke Urahara Kisuke is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Silent Hill
Posts: 69
Default Re: Drum Workshop Worth The Cash?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Elvis View Post
i agree with harry. basically it all comes down to personal preference. Many will say their drums sound just as good.... even some will say their drums sound better. For some -- including me -- its sort of like this:

I drive a porsche. I always wanted one, i have dreamed about it since i was a kid. I am lucky enough to own one. Many people share this dream. Now suburu makes a fast ass car -- it can beat my car. It has well over 300 hp and all wheel drive. It is also less than 1/2 the price of my car new. Apples to apples, you can say that the suburu is better -- its faster, grips the road better, etc.

No kid is going to sleep dreaming of owning a suburu.

There is something to be said for the porsche name, its quality, its mystery and its exclusivity. Its got a great design, great performance, a great name - no matter what suburu produces, it will never approach it. Many would agree the same can be said for DW.

food for thought. By the way, i also play a DW. :)
I love this analogy. Very true. I own both my dream kits, a DW kit and a C & C kit. C & C has been called the porche of drums as well, ha ha. The DW I got really really cheap though. I got ridiculously lucky with that purchase.
Reply With Quote
  #177  
Old 06-12-2007, 01:27 PM
Unix's Avatar
Unix Unix is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Terrebonne (Quebec)
Posts: 514
Default Re: Drum Workshop Worth The Cash?

In 30 years what as been new to the industry, ohhh! I know, finishes (like polyestere and polyurethene as been upgrade to a extreme performance point), maybe the glue too, These day glue and laquer are choose for their tonal quality and strengh.

I would say if you compare a DW with a Mapex Orion, yes it worth the money. If you would take time to analyse, you would find that the finish, the hardware the construction is better. By the way the Sonor designer serie is way priced too...

When you are one of the world leading company, that give you some previlege, and no one is force to buy their product anyway. I would be interested to know what is your scientifical technique to claim that they are too pricey...in many case jalousy is affecting judgements.

If some of you wanna smell real maple I'll be happy to help, what you smell from the inside of a drum is not wood smell but laquer smell lol...
Reply With Quote
  #178  
Old 06-12-2007, 01:48 PM
cwignall cwignall is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Leeds, UK
Posts: 196
Default Re: Drum Workshop Worth The Cash?

This may sound like a stupid statment but in my oppinion the actuall drum kit is a small part in this arguement - obviously nicer wood is a nicer sound etc. But as has been said it all comes down to the drummer.

keeping on the car theme people may say "i dont like that road. its a very fast dangerous road"
Its not the road thats fast - its the people that drive like idiots that are fast and dangerous.

Also a new driver in a Porche against a proffesional driver in a nissan: Porche on a straight would no doubt whoop the nissan - thats down to the car - but round a track id be odds on to say that the Pro in the nissan would probably cross the line first.

I have a mapex m birch (£600) my friend has a £4000 Sonnor kit. To tap his bass drum is a bit meatier than mine. He has a nicer finish as you would expect from that price tag. Yet its me that my band preffer 'cos the way i use my drums is (in their oppinion) better!

my 0.02$
Reply With Quote
  #179  
Old 06-12-2007, 01:59 PM
Ozzy Biz's Avatar
Ozzy Biz Ozzy Biz is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Behind you...
Posts: 1,464
Default Re: Drum Workshop Worth The Cash?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwignall View Post

keeping on the car theme people may say "i dont like that road. its a very fast dangerous road"
Its not the road thats fast - its the people that drive like idiots that are fast and dangerous.
Is this an attack on the WFD and speed metal guys?...
Reply With Quote
  #180  
Old 06-12-2007, 02:23 PM
Raymond Bloom's Avatar
Raymond Bloom Raymond Bloom is offline
Pioneer Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Europe
Posts: 1,039
Default Re: Drum Workshop Worth The Cash?

Well, I looke at it this way:

for example: Yamaha Maple Custom (Subaru analogy), DW (Porsche), Sonor SQ2 (Limited Edition Lamborghini) :-)
__________________

My Youtube channel
Reply With Quote
  #181  
Old 06-12-2007, 07:28 PM
-tarek- -tarek- is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 165
Default Re: Drum Workshop Worth The Cash?

Are DW's great drums? Hell yes they are. But $5000 for a kick and 4 toms? Come on now!

I was actually ready to buy a DW kit. Had a Red Gum exotic in 22x18 10x8 12x9 14x11 16x16 floor on lay-away and was ready to pay it off and take it home! But, because I was spending soooo much money on a kit, I figured I should be absolutely sure it's what I want. So I compared it next to a Starclassic (both maple and bubinga), a Gretsch Renown, a Yamaha Oak Custom, an Allegra (custom drums made right here in Portland, OR), and a Pearl Masters Birch. I know everyone fairly well at my local Guitar Center, so they let me try different heads on everything to compare more acurately. The set I ended up taking home? The Pearl. Honestly. And it's even a wrapped finish! I hate wraps, especially glittery gold ones (bronze glass), but this kit sounded so amazing, I dealt with it. The bass drum is by far more powerful, resonant, and boomy than the DW. The toms are more pronounced and clear and don't bleed together when doing fast fills up or down them. The Pearl has a very seperated, full, open tone, whereas the DW sounded like a high end drum machine. It sounded exactly like you'd expect a nice kit to sound, no uniqueness. The Pearl sounds as good quality wise, but with more character. I'll admit, I liked the DW 16x16 better, because it had the low enhanced vertical grain option, so the thing boomed like a cannon, but overall, the Pearl was my top choice. And it was only $1820 for 22x18 virgin 10x8 12x9 14x14 floor 16x16 floor. Can't be beat for the money.

Oh yeah, the other kits...

The Yamaha was very tinny and dead without much resonance. Not my cup of tea.

The Starclassics were both very nice actually, but I didn't like the bass drums much. The higher toms on the bubinga kit sounded kinda odd, almost sounded dampened.

The Gretsch was nice but not powerful enough. The floors and bass were just weak.

The Allegra sounded amazing, but it was used and only had one rack tom for $3000.

Anyway, that's just my two cents. Try everything before buying new kits, and don't bias by name like most drummers might. I wasn't partial at all to Pearl until I actually gave them a chance.
__________________
Pearl Masters Birch, Paiste Sigs, Evans, Vic Firth.
Reply With Quote
  #182  
Old 06-12-2007, 07:29 PM
Mr. Brownstone's Avatar
Mr. Brownstone Mr. Brownstone is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 122
Default Re: Drum Workshop Worth The Cash?

Don't know if they're worth the cash (if you have the cash not sure why it matters), but man I love the sound of DW snares.
Reply With Quote
  #183  
Old 06-13-2007, 12:05 AM
Jusstickinaround
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Drum Workshop Worth The Cash?

Quote:
Originally Posted by -tarek- View Post
Are DW's great drums? Hell yes they are. But $5000 for a kick and 4 toms? Come on now!

I was actually ready to buy a DW kit. Had a Red Gum exotic in 22x18 10x8 12x9 14x11 16x16 floor on lay-away and was ready to pay it off and take it home! But, because I was spending soooo much money on a kit, I figured I should be absolutely sure it's what I want. So I compared it next to a Starclassic (both maple and bubinga), a Gretsch Renown, a Yamaha Oak Custom, an Allegra (custom drums made right here in Portland, OR), and a Pearl Masters Birch. I know everyone fairly well at my local Guitar Center, so they let me try different heads on everything to compare more acurately. The set I ended up taking home? The Pearl. Honestly. And it's even a wrapped finish! I hate wraps, especially glittery gold ones (bronze glass), but this kit sounded so amazing, I dealt with it. The bass drum is by far more powerful, resonant, and boomy than the DW. The toms are more pronounced and clear and don't bleed together when doing fast fills up or down them. The Pearl has a very seperated, full, open tone, whereas the DW sounded like a high end drum machine. It sounded exactly like you'd expect a nice kit to sound, no uniqueness. The Pearl sounds as good quality wise, but with more character. I'll admit, I liked the DW 16x16 better, because it had the low enhanced vertical grain option, so the thing boomed like a cannon, but overall, the Pearl was my top choice. And it was only $1820 for 22x18 virgin 10x8 12x9 14x14 floor 16x16 floor. Can't be beat for the money.

Oh yeah, the other kits...

The Yamaha was very tinny and dead without much resonance. Not my cup of tea.

The Starclassics were both very nice actually, but I didn't like the bass drums much. The higher toms on the bubinga kit sounded kinda odd, almost sounded dampened.

The Gretsch was nice but not powerful enough. The floors and bass were just weak.

The Allegra sounded amazing, but it was used and only had one rack tom for $3000.

Anyway, that's just my two cents. Try everything before buying new kits, and don't bias by name like most drummers might. I wasn't partial at all to Pearl until I actually gave them a chance.
Man, this thread is getting very interesting, I couldn't agree more though. When I was at GC I tried the DW and Tama kit, and if I was in the market for a new kit, the Tama would have won easily over the DW's. The Tama had a much smaller price tag, but they sounded and looked better than the DW's. Don't go for the hype, go for the sound, and possibly save yourself some dough..
Reply With Quote
  #184  
Old 06-13-2007, 12:18 AM
zambizzi's Avatar
zambizzi zambizzi is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Big Bad Boise
Posts: 4,042
Default Re: Drum Workshop Worth The Cash?

Ha...sheesh! I guess I'll be the only defender of DW in this thread...fine by me.

I did the same "sound test" when I bought my kit...but I spent some time tuning a few different kits and trying different sounds. I could not find a kit in the store that could be tuned the way the DW could. The range and sounds I was able to pull out of the toms was much broader and *better*...in my opinion.

It took me a few tune-ups before I could really pull the sound out of my DW kit that I really wanted...but once I nailed it...it sounds *incredible*...I paid $3200 for mine and I say it was worth every red cent.
Reply With Quote
  #185  
Old 06-13-2007, 12:21 AM
Fat Elvis's Avatar
Fat Elvis Fat Elvis is offline
Pioneer Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 1,452
Default Re: Drum Workshop Worth The Cash?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jusstickinaround View Post
Man, this thread is getting very interesting, I couldn't agree more though. When I was at GC I tried the DW and Tama kit, and if I was in the market for a new kit, the Tama would have won easily over the DW's. The Tama had a much smaller price tag, but they sounded and looked better than the DW's. Don't go for the hype, go for the sound, and possibly save yourself some dough..
funny, i agree. I find my starclassic to be equal to my DW in pretty much every way -- quality, sound, finish, etc. However, being that you are a ludwig fan (which I am too), my ludwig cant hold a candle to either when it comes to quality (im speaking mostly of hardware, mounts, etc). Even though I knowingly bought a "vintage style" classic maple, the hardware that came on it is pathetic compared to the starclassic or DW. It is just too light for the drums -- the BD mount sags, the T handles on the mounts are flimsy, etc. Although sound-wise it is in the same class as my starclassic and DW, it cant hold a candle to either one for quality of materials.
__________________


This is me.

This is what I do.
Reply With Quote
  #186  
Old 06-13-2007, 12:49 AM
Jusstickinaround
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Drum Workshop Worth The Cash?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Elvis View Post
funny, i agree. I find my starclassic to be equal to my DW in pretty much every way -- quality, sound, finish, etc. However, being that you are a ludwig fan (which I am too), my ludwig cant hold a candle to either when it comes to quality (im speaking mostly of hardware, mounts, etc). Even though I knowingly bought a "vintage style" classic maple, the hardware that came on it is pathetic compared to the starclassic or DW. It is just too light for the drums -- the BD mount sags, the T handles on the mounts are flimsy, etc. Although sound-wise it is in the same class as my starclassic and DW, it cant hold a candle to either one for quality of materials.
Yes, I'm sure that's true about the hardware, if anything has really changed over the years it's the hardware, no doubt about it. I use pretty much new hardware, DW tilters on flat based Gilbralter stands, a new Grestch tom holder, 13" tom is on a rims system, and a DW pedal. However, we are not talking about hardware, we're talking about drums and the sound they produce. After all you're not buying a kit because of hardware, it's a definte plus if it has good hardware, but sound is what the main goal should be, I wouldn't pay more for a kit just because of the hardware if the drums had an inferior sound to another. Again, don't go by the hype or fancy hardware, the sound is what should make up your mind which kit to buy.
Reply With Quote
  #187  
Old 06-13-2007, 12:56 AM
Fat Elvis's Avatar
Fat Elvis Fat Elvis is offline
Pioneer Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 1,452
Default Re: Drum Workshop Worth The Cash?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jusstickinaround View Post
Yes, I'm sure that's true about the hardware, if anything has really changed over the years it's the hardware, no doubt about it. I use pretty much new hardware, DW tilters on flat based Gilbralter stands, a new Grestch tom holder, 13" tom is on a rims system, and a DW pedal. However, we are not talking about hardware, we're talking about drums and the sound they produce. After all you're not buying a kit because of hardware, it's a definte plus if it has good hardware, but sound is what the main goal should be, I wouldn't pay more for a kit just because of the hardware if the drums had an inferior sound to another. Again, don't go by the hype or fancy hardware, the sound is what should make up your mind which kit to buy.
well, yes IF the drums dont sound as good, which is NOT the case with DW. You play a ludwig, i play both -- i compare weekly. In my opinion the ludwigs do NOT have a better sound to the DW. While they have a great sound, i personally prefer my DW's and starclassics to my ludwig for sound. Thats not to say that there is anything wrong with the luddys -- far from it, but dont kid yourself in believing that they sound BETTER than DW's -- they dont. The fact is, I paid pretty much the same money for my used DW's as I did for my new ludwigs -- and the DW's were a better buy in build quality, hardware and sound. And yes, while sound is primarily why we buy drums, to say that hardware, finish, etc should not go into your decision to buy a kit is ridiculous. Finish, hardware and sound went into the decisions to buy all my kits.
__________________


This is me.

This is what I do.
Reply With Quote
  #188  
Old 06-13-2007, 01:07 AM
ajaye1 ajaye1 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2
Default Re: Drum Workshop Worth The Cash?

You still have to consider head choices, tunings, playing situations and a lot of other aspects when selecting a kit. I go for versatility because I play several styles as freelancer in NY.

I love the look, sound and quality of Tama and DW. IMO, you can't go wrong either way.
If you can afford it, get what brings out your sound and satisfies your sensibilities.

I once saw Max Roach sit-in on an inexpensive but well tuned kit. He was killin' Tune 'em right and they will speak whatever language you want them to.
Reply With Quote
  #189  
Old 06-13-2007, 06:17 AM
illustrator X's Avatar
illustrator X illustrator X is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Posts: 236
Default Re: Drum Workshop Worth The Cash?

Quote:
Originally Posted by -tarek- View Post
Are DW's great drums? Hell yes they are. But $5000 for a kick and 4 toms? Come on now!

I was actually ready to buy a DW kit. Had a Red Gum exotic in 22x18 10x8 12x9 14x11 16x16 floor on lay-away and was ready to pay it off and take it home! But, because I was spending soooo much money on a kit, I figured I should be absolutely sure it's what I want. So I compared it next to a Starclassic (both maple and bubinga), a Gretsch Renown, a Yamaha Oak Custom, an Allegra (custom drums made right here in Portland, OR), and a Pearl Masters Birch. I know everyone fairly well at my local Guitar Center, so they let me try different heads on everything to compare more acurately. The set I ended up taking home? The Pearl. Honestly. And it's even a wrapped finish! I hate wraps, especially glittery gold ones (bronze glass), but this kit sounded so amazing, I dealt with it. The bass drum is by far more powerful, resonant, and boomy than the DW. The toms are more pronounced and clear and don't bleed together when doing fast fills up or down them. The Pearl has a very seperated, full, open tone, whereas the DW sounded like a high end drum machine. It sounded exactly like you'd expect a nice kit to sound, no uniqueness. The Pearl sounds as good quality wise, but with more character. I'll admit, I liked the DW 16x16 better, because it had the low enhanced vertical grain option, so the thing boomed like a cannon, but overall, the Pearl was my top choice. And it was only $1820 for 22x18 virgin 10x8 12x9 14x14 floor 16x16 floor. Can't be beat for the money.

Oh yeah, the other kits...

The Yamaha was very tinny and dead without much resonance. Not my cup of tea.

The Starclassics were both very nice actually, but I didn't like the bass drums much. The higher toms on the bubinga kit sounded kinda odd, almost sounded dampened.

The Gretsch was nice but not powerful enough. The floors and bass were just weak.

The Allegra sounded amazing, but it was used and only had one rack tom for $3000.

Anyway, that's just my two cents. Try everything before buying new kits, and don't bias by name like most drummers might. I wasn't partial at all to Pearl until I actually gave them a chance.
Red Gum exotic?! I guess that was a GC kit they had in stock because I tried to order that and it was un-available. Well my GC only offered me 30% off DW, insane. I easily got mine for 45% off list elsewhere.
You liked the Pearl (6ply birch) brx over DW.I had a Pearl brx. DIdn't like the snare sound, loved the bass drum a true cannon! But I prefered my pearl mmx (4ply maple) overall. A good bit of preference has to depend on the music you play. But Pearl is a great value for the quality you get. Tops in machining, plating, finishes. I just find the 6ply 7.5mm shell too thick and cold sounding for my tases. Very bright cutting sound.
Btw the sound you liked in the floor tom was due to the vtl, but also what gives the DW floors that extra kick is the fact that DW adds a few ply's of thickness to the floors and bass.
Reply With Quote
  #190  
Old 06-14-2007, 02:43 AM
Jusstickinaround
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Drum Workshop Worth The Cash?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Elvis View Post
well, yes IF the drums dont sound as good, which is NOT the case with DW. You play a ludwig, i play both -- i compare weekly. In my opinion the ludwigs do NOT have a better sound to the DW. While they have a great sound, i personally prefer my DW's and starclassics to my ludwig for sound. Thats not to say that there is anything wrong with the luddys -- far from it, but dont kid yourself in believing that they sound BETTER than DW's -- they dont. The fact is, I paid pretty much the same money for my used DW's as I did for my new ludwigs -- and the DW's were a better buy in build quality, hardware and sound. And yes, while sound is primarily why we buy drums, to say that hardware, finish, etc should not go into your decision to buy a kit is ridiculous. Finish, hardware and sound went into the decisions to buy all my kits.
That's cool, how old is your Ludwig? I have a vintage kit and I do find them to have a superior sound to DW. Like I said, I wouldn't trade my kit for a new DW, I've heard enough of them to know that they are overrated as far as drum sound goes. One of my guitar player friends thinks DW's are great drums, the kick is he has never actually HEARD a DW kit, only the hype that goes along with them. I think DW's are nice drums, just overpriced and overrated.
Reply With Quote
  #191  
Old 06-14-2007, 02:49 AM
Porker69's Avatar
Porker69 Porker69 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Bean Town
Posts: 167
Default Re: Drum Workshop Worth The Cash?

Well, I think we've heard everyones input on DW. Now I think this discussion should shift to is OCDP worth the cash. ;) atleast DW makes their own shells.
__________________
My Vintage Ludwigs
Reply With Quote
  #192  
Old 06-14-2007, 02:56 AM
larlev
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Drum Workshop Worth The Cash?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jusstickinaround View Post
That's cool, how old is your Ludwig? I have a vintage kit and I do find them to have a superior sound to DW. Like I said, I wouldn't trade my kit for a new DW, I've heard enough of them to know that they are overrated as far as drum sound goes. One of my guitar player friends thinks DW's are great drums, the kick is he has never actually HEARD a DW kit, only the hype that goes along with them. I think DW's are nice drums, just overpriced and overrated.

Dude we know YOUR opinion by now.......I personally take it with a grain of salt....

Your beating a dead horse to death.....go play whatever it is you play and leave it alone

This is by far the most useless thread ever on this board to date....
Reply With Quote
  #193  
Old 06-14-2007, 03:19 AM
Jusstickinaround
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Drum Workshop Worth The Cash?

Quote:
Originally Posted by larlev View Post
Dude we know YOUR opinion by now.......I personally take it with a grain of salt....

Your beating a dead horse to death.....go play whatever it is you play and leave it alone

This is by far the most useless thread ever on this board to date....
Yes, and thanks for contributing to it's uselessness.
Reply With Quote
  #194  
Old 06-14-2007, 05:07 AM
illustrator X's Avatar
illustrator X illustrator X is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Posts: 236
Default Re: Drum Workshop Worth The Cash?

Quote:
Originally Posted by larlev View Post
Dude we know YOUR opinion by now.......I personally take it with a grain of salt....

Your beating a dead horse to death.....go play whatever it is you play and leave it alone

This is by far the most useless thread ever on this board to date....
How very dickish of you.

This thread is fun.
Reply With Quote
  #195  
Old 06-14-2007, 06:51 AM
Ozzy Biz's Avatar
Ozzy Biz Ozzy Biz is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Behind you...
Posts: 1,464
Default Re: Drum Workshop Worth The Cash?

Can we just close this already? And yes Larlev, that horse died a long, long time ago.
Reply With Quote
  #196  
Old 06-14-2007, 07:58 PM
-tarek- -tarek- is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 165
Default Re: Drum Workshop Worth The Cash?

Quote:
Originally Posted by illustrator X View Post
Red Gum exotic?! I guess that was a GC kit they had in stock because I tried to order that and it was un-available. Well my GC only offered me 30% off DW, insane. I easily got mine for 45% off list elsewhere.
You liked the Pearl (6ply birch) brx over DW.I had a Pearl brx. DIdn't like the snare sound, loved the bass drum a true cannon! But I prefered my pearl mmx (4ply maple) overall. A good bit of preference has to depend on the music you play. But Pearl is a great value for the quality you get. Tops in machining, plating, finishes. I just find the 6ply 7.5mm shell too thick and cold sounding for my tases. Very bright cutting sound.
Btw the sound you liked in the floor tom was due to the vtl, but also what gives the DW floors that extra kick is the fact that DW adds a few ply's of thickness to the floors and bass.
Yeah, they only had a Red Gum because someone else had ordered it and then cancelled. I don't like the BRX snare either, I use a Yamaha brass and soon hopefully an Akira Jimbo Signature (godly) or a Craviatto maple. The bass drum is a freakin' cannon. The thing is ridiculous with no port in the reso. I love it! I only like the BRX toms with either coated heads or thick 2 plys (NOT dampened ones, though, like pinstripes or EC2's or something... eww). They sound too bright and non-depthy with singly ply clear heads. So I agree with you there, but I love the sound with coated G2's over G1. Sounds kind of Sonor-esque to me. I just tune right to where the drum has the longest sustain, and the reso to the exact same pitch, so that don't cut any resonance using coated heads. I love them. Anyway, enough of my obsession with my drums :)
__________________
Pearl Masters Birch, Paiste Sigs, Evans, Vic Firth.
Reply With Quote
  #197  
Old 06-17-2007, 08:43 AM
illustrator X's Avatar
illustrator X illustrator X is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Posts: 236
Default Re: Drum Workshop Worth The Cash?

Nice, glad to hear you love your brx's. Pearls 6ply birch sound waaaaay better than the 6ply maple mrx. I never threw thicker heads on the brx I had, I should have experimented.
Reply With Quote
  #198  
Old 06-17-2007, 04:55 PM
macmarkus's Avatar
macmarkus macmarkus is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: west germany
Posts: 243
Default # 200

answer # 200

again, yes. ;-)
Reply With Quote
  #199  
Old 07-10-2007, 06:55 AM
illustrator X's Avatar
illustrator X illustrator X is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Posts: 236
Default Re: Drum Workshop Worth The Cash?

Alllllright kids.....just so I can chime in on this post I got my Deedubs (Kidding).
Anyway, I hit a homerun on the finish It's just KILLER and I didn't see it in person till it got to my door. I will chime back in after I get acclimated to my new kit with the final assessment.
Hey like I tell my wife, this is science damn it.
Attached Images
  
Reply With Quote
  #200  
Old 07-10-2007, 07:05 AM
Fat Elvis's Avatar
Fat Elvis Fat Elvis is offline
Pioneer Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 1,452
Default Re: Drum Workshop Worth The Cash?

Quote:
Originally Posted by illustrator X View Post
Alllllright kids.....just so I can chime in on this post I got my Deedubs (Kidding).
Anyway, I hit a homerun on the finish It's just KILLER and I didn't see it in person till it got to my door. I will chime back in after I get acclimated to my new kit with the final assessment.
Hey like I tell my wife, this is science damn it.
an that finish is KILLER!!!!! nice work!
__________________


This is me.

This is what I do.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 01:05 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com